Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Source for pinhead oats?

Hi all,
I'd like to pick up some pin head oats; I was looking at the Bob's
Red Mill website and they have the oats and some other things I'm
looking for. However, the shipping charges are painful. Thety are
located in Oregon and I'm in northeastern PA. Can anyone suggest an
alternative source closer to the east coast?

Thanks,
...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kuvasz guy wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'd like to pick up some pin head oats; I was looking at the Bob's
> Red Mill website and they have the oats and some other things I'm
> looking for. However, the shipping charges are painful. Thety are
> located in Oregon and I'm in northeastern PA. Can anyone suggest an
> alternative source closer to the east coast?

The larger supermarkets in my area sell them from bulk bins, as well as
in the "health foods" and "organic/natural foods" aisles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kuvasz guy wrote:

> I'd like to pick up some pin head oats; I was looking at the Bob's
> Red Mill website and they have the oats and some other things I'm
> looking for. However, the shipping charges are painful. Thety are
> located in Oregon and I'm in northeastern PA. Can anyone suggest an
> alternative source closer to the east coast?

How does a great price and FREE shipping sound... go he
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=360

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> How does a great price and FREE shipping sound... go he
> http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=360
>
> Sheldon

Thanks Sheldon -- I'll give them a try. Looks like shipping is now 5
bucks per *order*; still can't beat that...

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kuvasz guy wrote:

> > How does a great price and FREE shipping sound... go he
> > http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=360
> >
> > Sheldon

> Thanks Sheldon -- I'll give them a try. Looks like shipping is now 5
> bucks per *order*; still can't beat that...

They are a product of Canada, I think much better quality than those
expensive Irish oats in the fancy schmancy can.

I guess the shipping cost is a recent addition... but still
insignificant for 50lbs of pinhead oats that cost like 75¢/lb. That
50lbs may be too much for you but perhaps you can find one or two
people to split the order... I split mine with a neighbor... they
already reordered and I've hardly made a dent in my 25lbs. But they
are a huge family with six grown kids and lotsa grands.

Honeyville Grain sells those oats in smaller quantities also, still at
significant savings... and check out their other products too. And
their shipping was fast, I had my oats in less than 48 hours.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kuvasz guy wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'd like to pick up some pin head oats; I was looking at the Bob's
> Red Mill website and they have the oats and some other things I'm
> looking for. However, the shipping charges are painful. Thety are
> located in Oregon and I'm in northeastern PA. Can anyone suggest an
> alternative source closer to the east coast?
>
> Thanks,
> ..fred

Check Far Away Foods. I ordered Hamlyn's Scottish pin head oats from them
back in February. Scroll down on this link:

http://www.farawayfoods.com/ricespolentas.html

After I'd placed my order, I got an email from them saying they'd upgraded
my shipping to Priority Mail and reduced my shipping charges by $2, which
was interesting in a weird sort of way. The shipping was still more than
the cannister of oats. I can find McCann's Irish steel-cut oats in most of
the larger grocery stores but they aren't the same as pin head oats. These
oats are excellent. Wish I could afford to order more right now!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Check Far Away Foods. I ordered Hamlyn's Scottish pin head oats from them
> back in February. Scroll down on this link:
>
> http://www.farawayfoods.com/ricespolentas.html
>
> After I'd placed my order, I got an email from them saying they'd upgraded
> my shipping to Priority Mail and reduced my shipping charges by $2, which
> was interesting in a weird sort of way. The shipping was still more than
> the cannister of oats. I can find McCann's Irish steel-cut oats in most of
> the larger grocery stores but they aren't the same as pin head oats. These
> oats are excellent. Wish I could afford to order more right now!
>
> Jill

heh -- for a minute there, I though you were steering me towards the
grits...

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kuvasz guy wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>

>> Check Far Away Foods. I ordered Hamlyn's Scottish pin head oats
>> from them back in February. Scroll down on this link:
>>
>> http://www.farawayfoods.com/ricespolentas.html
>>
>> After I'd placed my order, I got an email from them saying they'd
>> upgraded my shipping to Priority Mail and reduced my shipping
>> charges by $2, which was interesting in a weird sort of way. The
>> shipping was still more than the cannister of oats. I can find
>> McCann's Irish steel-cut oats in most of the larger grocery stores
>> but they aren't the same as pin head oats. These oats are
>> excellent. Wish I could afford to order more right now!
>>
>> Jill

> heh -- for a minute there, I though you were steering me towards the
> grits...
>
> ..fred

LOL! I love grits (took me about 30 years to appreciate them) but I
wouldn't steer you towards them unless you asked

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> kuvasz guy wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I'd like to pick up some pin head oats; I was looking at the Bob's
> > Red Mill website and they have the oats and some other things I'm
> > looking for. However, the shipping charges are painful. Thety are
> > located in Oregon and I'm in northeastern PA. Can anyone suggest an
> > alternative source closer to the east coast?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > ..fred

> Check Far Away Foods. I ordered Hamlyn's Scottish pin head oats from them
> back in February. Scroll down on this link:
>
> http://www.farawayfoods.com/ricespolentas.html
>
> After I'd placed my order, I got an email from them saying they'd upgraded
> my shipping to Priority Mail and reduced my shipping charges by $2, which
> was interesting in a weird sort of way. The shipping was still more than
> the cannister of oats. I can find McCann's Irish steel-cut oats in most of
> the larger grocery stores but they aren't the same as pin head oats.

Sorry to bust your bubble but pinhead oats and steel cut oats are
synonymous... McCann's Irish steel-cut oats are indeed pinhead oats.
With all this talk about oats I have my slow cooker all set up with two
cups of Honeyville's pinhead oats, all I have to do is add 13 cups of
water and remember to plug it in at 10 PM.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> With all this talk about oats I have my slow cooker all set up with two
> cups of Honeyville's pinhead oats, all I have to do is add 13 cups of
> water and remember to plug it in at 10 PM.

I toast oats on a sheet pan in the oven before I put them into the slow
cooker. I use a half-gallon of milk for one cup of oats. (I got that ratio
from someone on this newsgroup, but I can't find the post to give proper
credit.) Cooked like that, the oatmeal comes out with a texture somewhat
like rice pudding.

For the OP, if you've got a Trader Joe's nearby, they carry steel-cut oats
at a lower cost than what you'd usually pay for McCann's.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > With all this talk about oats I have my slow cooker all set up with two
> > cups of Honeyville's pinhead oats, all I have to do is add 13 cups of
> > water and remember to plug it in at 10 PM.

> I toast oats on a sheet pan in the oven before I put them into the slow
> cooker. I use a half-gallon of milk for one cup of oats. (I got that ratio
> from someone on this newsgroup, but I can't find the post to give proper
> credit.) Cooked like that, the oatmeal comes out with a texture somewhat
> like rice pudding.

I've tried toasted thinking I'd like them better but I didn't, I
suppose a matter of personal preference. I don't cook my oats with
milk because I make enough to last a week (can't see doing steel cut
oats one portion at a time) and have found that with milk they begin to
sour halfway through... maybe not sour but just doesn't smell right. I
prefer to add milk to the individual portions when I reheat, but
usually I don't add milk anyway. Occasionally I'll add a little
cinnamon, some times honey, sometimes both... but nine times out of ten
I like my oatmeal oatmeal flavored.

> For the OP, if you've got a Trader Joe's nearby, they carry steel-cut oats
> at a lower cost than what you'd usually pay for McCann's.

So far I haven't found steel cut oats with lower prices than
Honeyvillegrain.com
Nowhere else even approaches 75¢/lb. And they sell smaller sizes at
similar savings. And my first introduction to steel cut oats was
Mccann's and I was really quite disappointed, wondered what all the
hoopla was about, they're tasteless... and I really felt ripped off
considering how expensive they are, imported oats in a fancy schmancy
tin, big whoop. When you open your bag of Honeyville you'll
immediately know the difference, the aroma is wonderful... their oats
even look fresher, they actually feel like fresh from the field... not
like McCann's, so dusty dry they may as well have been from the
pyramids. I'll never again believe the Irish know anything about oats.

Sheldon Mick

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kuvasz guy wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'd like to pick up some pin head oats; I was looking at the Bob's
> Red Mill website and they have the oats and some other things I'm
> looking for. However, the shipping charges are painful. Thety are
> located in Oregon and I'm in northeastern PA. Can anyone suggest an
> alternative source closer to the east coast?
>
> Thanks,
> ..fred

I see Bob's stuff in a lot of store nowadays. Maybe you
could contact them to find out who carries their products
in your area. And if they don't carry the specifice item
you want they might be able to order it for. Probably will
cost less than getting it shipped form Bob's directly.
Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”