Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default French Pastry ?

Carol Pickett wrote:
> 1/2 lb. margarine
> 2 cups flour
> 1 cup sour cream
> 3/4 cups sugar
> 3/4 cup chopped nuts, chopped fine
> 1 tsp. cinnamon
> 1 recipe powdered sugar icing
> Instructions:
> Cut margarine into flour with pastry blender until crumbly.
> Stir in sour cream with fork, blend well. Divide dough into 4 parts, chill
> for 3 hours or longer. Roll each part on lightly floured surface into 8" or
> 9" rounds. Sprinkle with sugar, nuts, & cinnamon. Cut into 12 or 16 wedges.
> Roll up, starting with wide ends. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake @
> 375* for 20 minutes. Spread with glaze immediately.
> Does anyone know if any thing is missing from this recipe? I
> received it from my cousin after tasting them at our family reunion.. Hers
> were light, buttery, & very flaky. Mine are not. They get sort of soft after
> I put glaze on. Any one have any recipe similar to this? They are small (
> about 2 1/2 in. ) and they look like small miniature crescents, but taste
> like cinnamon rolls only much better. Sure would like to know what I am
> doing wrong or if she left something out by mistake.

Your question is entirely appropriate.

I'd use butter instead of margarine.

Also, I'm not sure what a "recipe powdered sugar icing" is. If the
recipe has too much liquid in it, it could make the crescents too soft.
I'd put the glaze on after the crescents had cooled to avoid the
possibility of the glaze sealing in moisture which is making them soggy.

Others with more experience will be able to answer more fully.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Carol Pickett wrote:
> 1/2 lb. margarine
> 2 cups flour
> 1 cup sour cream
> 3/4 cups sugar
> 3/4 cup chopped nuts, chopped fine
> 1 tsp. cinnamon
> 1 recipe powdered sugar icing
> Instructions:
> Cut margarine into flour with pastry blender until crumbly.
> Stir in sour cream with fork, blend well. Divide dough into 4 parts, chill
> for 3 hours or longer. Roll each part on lightly floured surface into 8" or
> 9" rounds. Sprinkle with sugar, nuts, & cinnamon. Cut into 12 or 16 wedges.
> Roll up, starting with wide ends. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake @
> 375* for 20 minutes. Spread with glaze immediately.
> Does anyone know if any thing is missing from this recipe? I
> received it from my cousin after tasting them at our family reunion.. Her's
> were light, buttery, & very flaky. Mine are not. They get sort of soft after
> I put glaze on. Any one have any recipe similar to this? They are small (
> about 2 1/2 in. ) and they look like small miniature crescents, but taste
> like cinnamon rolls only much better. Sure would like to know what I am
> doing wrong or if she left something out by mistake.

Here's a link to an almost identical recipe. Maybe there's something
in the instructions that will help you.

http://cookie.allrecipes.com/az/CrescentTarts.asp

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Carol Pickett" > wrote:

> Thanks, I've tried that but they still are soft, not flaky. Hers were so
> crunchy & they just melted in your mouth. I use real butter in everything I
> bake, just taste better , don't you think? If worse comes to worse I guess I
> could ask her but was afraid it would hurt her feelings. Thought I might
> just gety lucky on here and find some one who might have the same recipe, or
> at least similar. Thanks again

I think you should ask her‹ I think she'll be flattered to be your
consultant rather than have hurt feelings. (I don't see how your
inability to duplicate the rolls could hurt her feelings. She might be
rather pleased, actually. :-)

I'd be tempted to bake them hotter and for less time, too. JMO.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Carol Pickett wrote:
> Thanks, I've tried that but they still are soft, not flaky. Hers were
> so crunchy & they just melted in your mouth. I use real butter in
> everything I bake, just taste better , don't you think?

Well that's a relief. Margarine just ruins something like this.

This sounds more like a ruggelach (sp?) recipe than anything French.

You might want to look up some of those recipes for comparison.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You know I never even considered that the glaze being put on while they are
hot could be making them soft. Thanks for giving me another outlook on these
things. I bet it works too. I hope so because they really are very
delicious. Thanks again

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I will try a different approach & glaze them after they have cooled. If that
doesn't work, then I will ask her. I haven't seen her or heard from her in
several years. So not sure how to contact her. Anyway I appreciate all the
help with these. I'm excited to try them again using a different approach.
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It is almost identical. Thank you so much for relieving my fear that I
didn't get the recipe right. I will try the powdered sugar too, dry that is.
Her's had the glaze but I bet she puts it on after they have cooled.
Thanks again for everyone's help. If this doesn't work I'll be back. Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> iYour question is entirely appropriate.
>
> I'd use butter instead of margarine.

I had to wonder when I saw French Pastry at the top and the first ingredient was
margarine. I can't see the French using margarine in pastry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Carol Pickett wrote:
> It is almost identical. Thank you so much for relieving my fear that I
> didn't get the recipe right. I will try the powdered sugar too, dry that is.
> Her's had the glaze but I bet she puts it on after they have cooled.
> Thanks again for everyone's help. If this doesn't work I'll be back. Carol

Hope it works out for you. If they're stil not flaky, there's a chance
you're overmixing, or the fat-of-choice is too warm when you cut it in.
Butter should be refrigerated, or even frozen, for this sort of
recipe. Cut it into dice-sized cubes before mixing, too.

You can substitute lard or rendered suet (tallow?) for some or all of
the butter. Or vegetable shortening. Or coconut oil, if you can find
a nice block of that.

Greg Zywicki

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Julia Altshuler > said:
> Carol Pickett wrote:

<snip recipe>

> > Does anyone know if any thing is missing from this recipe? I
> > received it from my cousin after tasting them at our family reunion.. Hers
> > were light, buttery, & very flaky. Mine are not. They get sort of soft after
> > I put glaze on. Any one have any recipe similar to this? They are small (
> > about 2 1/2 in. ) and they look like small miniature crescents, but taste
> > like cinnamon rolls only much better. Sure would like to know what I am
> > doing wrong or if she left something out by mistake.

> Your question is entirely appropriate.

Yup -- my only suggestion on Carol's posting is that she should be
sure to quote in her replys to others.

> I'd use butter instead of margarine.

Definitely.

> Also, I'm not sure what a "recipe powdered sugar icing" is. If the
> recipe has too much liquid in it, it could make the crescents too soft.

I think she means the recipe one finds on some powdered sugar boxes;
my mom used to use one for frosting Christmas cookies, although we
got to where we didn't use a recipe, just went by feel. This is from
C&H's web site:

http://www.chsugar.com/Consumer/beyond_frostings.html

Basic Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients:
3-3/4 cup (l lb. box) C&H Pure Cane Powdered Sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup butter or margarine (2/3 stick), softened

Instructions:
Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer or
with heavy spoon until smooth and creamy; scrape bowl often. If too
stiff to spread easily, beat in a few drops of milk.

Serving Size: Makes enough for a 9-inch two-layer cake

> I'd put the glaze on after the crescents had cooled to avoid the
> possibility of the glaze sealing in moisture which is making them soggy.

Good point, Lia...

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~