Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New Eggs Benedict Technique... Now Spam Free!

Dawn wrote:
> chef john wrote:
>

>> I think I'm going to show how to use the left over sauce tomorrow on
>> veg by reheating it, breaking it and then fixing the broken sauce.
>> This was always a crowd pleaser. Always a problem with holl. sauce...
>> what about the leftovers??

> Who has leftovers? I only make as much as I need.
>
> IMO, if you have something like this leftover, the sauce for a dish but
> none of the rest of the makings for it, you've planned your portions
> wrong to begin with.
>
> Mind you, I have nothing against leftovers in general, it's great to
> have food to pack for lunch the next day, but it's done on purpose, not
> an accidental thing.

How silly.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Here is my modified restaurant method for eggs benedict.

The key is poaching the eggs first in acidulated water. Then holding in
cold water until plating.
The hollandaise is made WITHOUT a double boiler. The yolks are cooked
on the open flame as youll see.

Hope you enjoy.... www.lrn2cook.com/eggsben.html

Again, these vid clips are very crude at this time and are being used
for testing as I develop the site. My hope is to eventually have a
large library of free cooking clips that cover all the basics and
classics. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

chef john wrote:

> Here is my modified restaurant method for eggs benedict.
>
> The key is poaching the eggs first in acidulated water. Then holding in
> cold water until plating.

Undercook them slightly, keep in ice water, then rewarm in hot
water before service. That last step is key, though.

> The hollandaise is made WITHOUT a double boiler. The yolks are cooked
> on the open flame as youll see.

Agreed. I haven't used a double boiler for this in years. I
use a saucier over an open flame. It's so much faster.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

yes, but it's amazing how afraid people are until you show them. My
students would look at me like I was insane when I would walk over to
the stove with just the pan.

Reg wrote:
> chef john wrote:
>
> > Here is my modified restaurant method for eggs benedict.
> >
> > The key is poaching the eggs first in acidulated water. Then holding in
> > cold water until plating.

> Undercook them slightly, keep in ice water, then rewarm in hot
> water before service. That last step is key, though.
>
> > The hollandaise is made WITHOUT a double boiler. The yolks are cooked
> > on the open flame as youll see.

> Agreed. I haven't used a double boiler for this in years. I
> use a saucier over an open flame. It's so much faster.
>
> --
> Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

chef john wrote:
> yes, but it's amazing how afraid people are until you show them. My
> students would look at me like I was insane when I would walk over to
> the stove with just the pan.
>
> I think I'm going to show how to use the left over sauce tomorrow on
> veg by reheating it, breaking it and then fixing the broken sauce.
> This was always a crowd pleaser. Always a problem with holl. sauce...
> what about the leftovers??
>

> Reg wrote:
> > chef john wrote:
> >
> > > Here is my modified restaurant method for eggs benedict.
> > >
> > > The key is poaching the eggs first in acidulated water. Then holding in
> > > cold water until plating.

> > Undercook them slightly, keep in ice water, then rewarm in hot
> > water before service. That last step is key, though.
> >
> > > The hollandaise is made WITHOUT a double boiler. The yolks are cooked
> > > on the open flame as youll see.

> > Agreed. I haven't used a double boiler for this in years. I
> > use a saucier over an open flame. It's so much faster.
> > Reg

I'll put my two cents worth in as well. I've always made hollandaise
over direct heat using a stainless steel mixing bowl.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

chef john wrote:
> Here is my modified restaurant method for eggs benedict.
>
> The key is poaching the eggs first in acidulated water. Then holding in
> cold water until plating.

I've found that briskly stirring the boiling water, before dropping the
raw eggs in, creating a whirlpool effect, also helps to keep the eggs
nicely formed.

Another tip I saw (and have tried a few time) was to use a very lightly
buttered/oiled cup or ramekin or dish (preferably a larger version of
the little soy dishes you see in chinese restaurants) and place the egg
in the cup and place in a wide pan of boiling water.
Was a bit dubious that you'd get a 'fried' not poached egg, but it
works well (though a heck of a lot more washing up and you need a large
pan if doing more than two eggs at a time) and the cooked egg has a
lovely shape.

Loved the video clips btw... keep up the great work!

As it's Father's Day here this Sunday, will spoil my dearly beloved
with Eggs Benedict!

cheers

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

chef john wrote:

> I think I'm going to show how to use the left over sauce tomorrow on
> veg by reheating it, breaking it and then fixing the broken sauce.
> This was always a crowd pleaser. Always a problem with holl. sauce...
> what about the leftovers??

Who has leftovers? I only make as much as I need.

IMO, if you have something like this leftover, the sauce for a dish but
none of the rest of the makings for it, you've planned your portions
wrong to begin with.

Mind you, I have nothing against leftovers in general, it's great to
have food to pack for lunch the next day, but it's done on purpose, not
an accidental thing.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dawn,

As a former kitchen math teacher at a culinary school I'm definately in
favor of making the right amount. The problem with a rich sauce like
hollandaise, it's very hard to predict how much ends up on each plate.
You can plan for 2oz per, but some guests wont want any and some just a
"taste," and some (like me) like a little extra. Also, for anyone
that's catered a brunch, you CAN NOT chance running out, spillage etc.
So instead of tossing it out, I like to demo how to reuse it the next
day after a night in the fridge. I dont think everyone knows thats even
possible.

Dawn wrote:
> chef john wrote:
>

> > I think I'm going to show how to use the left over sauce tomorrow on
> > veg by reheating it, breaking it and then fixing the broken sauce.
> > This was always a crowd pleaser. Always a problem with holl. sauce...
> > what about the leftovers??

> Who has leftovers? I only make as much as I need.
>
> IMO, if you have something like this leftover, the sauce for a dish but
> none of the rest of the makings for it, you've planned your portions
> wrong to begin with.
>
> Mind you, I have nothing against leftovers in general, it's great to
> have food to pack for lunch the next day, but it's done on purpose, not
> an accidental thing.
>

> Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LJ,

I love the whirlpool trick, except I've found it only works for one at
a time. Once the first one's in the water then how do you add more?

Thanks for the nice comments on the videoclips.

John

LadyJane wrote:
> chef john wrote:
> > Here is my modified restaurant method for eggs benedict.
> >
> > The key is poaching the eggs first in acidulated water. Then holding in
> > cold water until plating.

> I've found that briskly stirring the boiling water, before dropping the
> raw eggs in, creating a whirlpool effect, also helps to keep the eggs
> nicely formed.
>
> Another tip I saw (and have tried a few time) was to use a very lightly
> buttered/oiled cup or ramekin or dish (preferably a larger version of
> the little soy dishes you see in chinese restaurants) and place the egg
> in the cup and place in a wide pan of boiling water.
> Was a bit dubious that you'd get a 'fried' not poached egg, but it
> works well (though a heck of a lot more washing up and you need a large
> pan if doing more than two eggs at a time) and the cooked egg has a
> lovely shape.
>
> Loved the video clips btw... keep up the great work!
>
> As it's Father's Day here this Sunday, will spoil my dearly beloved
> with Eggs Benedict!
>
> cheers
>
> LadyJane
> --
> "Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-08-31, chef john > wrote:

> As a former kitchen math teacher at a culinary school.....

Hey! ...if you're going to actually participate in this group....

Welcome aboard!!.

Boy, am I gonna run you ragged.

No seriously, we more than welcome knowledgeable foodie folk,
specially on the nitty-gritty technical stuff like kitchen math. Would
you be willing to share some specific kitchen math concerning baking?
I would love to get a refresher course (since I forgot it *all*) on
the math required to reduce/increase recipe sizes for baking. I know
the salt and leavener amounts do not convert directly like most other
foodstuffs. I long ago lost the one book I had with this info and
would love to relearn it. That would be a real attraction for your
website, a baking calculator. Whatdya say?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2006-08-31, chef john > wrote:
> >
> > As a former kitchen math teacher at a culinary school.....

> Hey! ...if you're going to actually participate in this group....
>
> Welcome aboard!!.
>
> Boy, am I gonna run you ragged.
>
> No seriously, we more than welcome knowledgeable foodie folk,
> specially on the nitty-gritty technical stuff like kitchen math. Would
> you be willing to share some specific kitchen math concerning baking?
> I would love to get a refresher course (since I forgot it *all*) on
> the math required to reduce/increase recipe sizes for baking. I know
> the salt and leavener amounts do not convert directly like most other
> foodstuffs. I long ago lost the one book I had with this info and
> would love to relearn it. That would be a real attraction for your
> website, a baking calculator. Whatdya say?
>
> nb

"Baking and Pastry: Mastering the Art and Craft" published by the CIA
(the other CIA), about $40 on Amazon (870 pages, hardcover). Whole
chapters on bakers percentages and whatnot. Excellent book.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-08-31, Pete C. > wrote:

> "Baking and Pastry: Mastering the Art and Craft" published by the CIA
> (the other CIA), about $40 on Amazon (870 pages, hardcover). Whole
> chapters on bakers percentages and whatnot. Excellent book.

Ahh... I don't have that one. I have the considerably smaller Cakes
and Pasteries at the Academy, which I think was based on one of the CCA tv
series on PBS. Thanks for the heads up, Pete.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

chef john wrote:
> LJ,
>
> I love the whirlpool trick, except I've found it only works for one at
> a time. Once the first one's in the water then how do you add more?

gee - stir again? (preferably with the handle of a wooden spoon so as
not to puncture the other egg/s)
When you stir again the other eggs in the pan automatically seem
repelled ... not been a problem for me.

nudge, nudge, wink, wink.... say no more.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

chef john wrote:

> Here is my modified restaurant method for eggs benedict.
>
> The key is poaching the eggs first in acidulated water. Then holding in
> cold water until plating.
> The hollandaise is made WITHOUT a double boiler. The yolks are cooked
> on the open flame as youll see.
>
> Hope you enjoy.... www.lrn2cook.com/eggsben.html
>
> Again, these vid clips are very crude at this time and are being used
> for testing as I develop the site. My hope is to eventually have a
> large library of free cooking clips that cover all the basics and
> classics. Thanks!

Thank YOU for putting together instructional videos! Anything which
contributes to the greater availability and greater success of Eggs Benedict
is A-OK with me. :-)

I wouldn't call the technique "new," though: The cookbook for Commander's
Palace (in New Orleans) mentions that same technique of poaching the eggs
ahead of time and keeping them in a bowl of cold water until you're ready to
serve them.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

********
large library of free cooking clips that cover all the basics and
classics. Thanks!

********
Once you get going and include some Pasta recipes we need to talk ! ! !
: )

Enjoyed hearing the discussion between the "pros" your posting promted.
Excellent post. I really enjoyed it. Please keep us updated on future
developements on your site. I wouldn't worry that you feel it was
crude. It was good enough that most of us will get a lot out of it (as
long as there's nothing distracting about the quality - which there
wasn't). Thanks Again,

Mike Kazmark
www.bestpastarecipes.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:
> No seriously, we more than welcome knowledgeable foodie folk,
> specially on the nitty-gritty technical stuff like kitchen math. Would
> you be willing to share some specific kitchen math concerning baking?

> nb

I'll bet the rec.food.baking people could help you.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

NB,

The basic scaling formula for any recipe is as follows: 2 simple steps

Step 1.
If you take the "New Yield" (how many portions you now desire) and
DIVIDE by the "Original Yield" (how many portions the current recipe
yields) you will get what's called the "Scaling Factor"

example: New Yield of 24 divided by Org. Yield of 4 = Scaling Factor
of 6

Step 2.
Scaling Factor X the Orginal Ingredient Amount = New Amount Needed!

example: Scaling Factor of 6 X 1/2 pound flour = 3 pounds needed
for new recipe

This works for reducing also: 4 NY divided by 8 OY = Scaling Facto
of .5 etc.

Hope this helps....

Now as far as a scaling spices...I think that's a complete myth!!!!

Here is my proof: Ive had chefs tell me, "be careful, the recipe
scaled up 4 times now calls for 4 Tbls of hot pepper, but dont put
that much in."

WHAT!???!!??!? If I made that recipe in 4 single batches and added
1 tbl of pepper as called for in each bowl, I would have 4 perfectly
seasoned bowls of whatever.

Now If I took those 4 bowls and mixed them together into one big batch,
are you telling me it would get "hotter?" See how this makes no
sense. Spices scale up like every other ingredient. This is a classic
kitchen math myth!!

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-08-31, chef john > wrote:
> >
> > As a former kitchen math teacher at a culinary school.....

> Hey! ...if you're going to actually participate in this group....
>
> Welcome aboard!!.
>
> Boy, am I gonna run you ragged.
>
> No seriously, we more than welcome knowledgeable foodie folk,
> specially on the nitty-gritty technical stuff like kitchen math. Would
> you be willing to share some specific kitchen math concerning baking?
> I would love to get a refresher course (since I forgot it *all*) on
> the math required to reduce/increase recipe sizes for baking. I know
> the salt and leavener amounts do not convert directly like most other
> foodstuffs. I long ago lost the one book I had with this info and
> would love to relearn it. That would be a real attraction for your
> website, a baking calculator. Whatdya say?
>
> nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I should have mentioned, you are correct about leaveners!!!! They are
the only exception.

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-08-31, chef john > wrote:
> >
> > As a former kitchen math teacher at a culinary school.....

> Hey! ...if you're going to actually participate in this group....
>
> Welcome aboard!!.
>
> Boy, am I gonna run you ragged.
>
> No seriously, we more than welcome knowledgeable foodie folk,
> specially on the nitty-gritty technical stuff like kitchen math. Would
> you be willing to share some specific kitchen math concerning baking?
> I would love to get a refresher course (since I forgot it *all*) on
> the math required to reduce/increase recipe sizes for baking. I know
> the salt and leavener amounts do not convert directly like most other
> foodstuffs. I long ago lost the one book I had with this info and
> would love to relearn it. That would be a real attraction for your
> website, a baking calculator. Whatdya say?
>
> nb

Eggs Benedict Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 15-05-2008 03:47 AM
Up for Eggs Benedict???? KYrain General Cooking 50 08-11-2006 04:03 PM
Eggs Benedict Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-11-2005 02:40 AM
Eggs Benedict Duckie ® Recipes 0 05-10-2005 09:09 PM
Eggs Benedict - Faux - eggs benedict.jpg (0/1) jim Diabetic 1 02-05-2004 07:46 PM