Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes

Default Recipes Using Coconut and Coconut Oil....Yum!

I figured my reply may get lost in the "war" so I have decided to post this
where it may be used for good

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
> Anyone else have any ideas of how to incorporate the oil in to my diet?
> She
> said eating coconut was good too, but the oil was the best thing. I've
> made
> an effort to eat more of the oil for the past 4 days now and I've lost two
> pounds! So it does appear to be working.
> See my webpage:
> http://mysite.verizon.net/juliebove/index.htm

There are lots of uses for coconut and coconut oil. I love to make toasted
coconut chips. Just buy some unsweetened large coconut flakes, the Good
Earth, a health food store here (FL) sells it in the refrigerated area. Lay
the flakes on an oiled with coconut oil of course and spray, I use my oil
mister, coconut oil (if you don't have one use any good quality cooking oil
to mist) and spray the flakes lightly, and I add a light coating of popcorn
salt. You can also mix the salt and some Splenda if you like the sweet
taste, bake it in an oven at 350 for about 5-6 minutes or until light golden
brown. This is a dandy snack that I've made for years and great when you
want a snack...better than chips and better for you!

If you like pie, desiccated or finely flaked unsweetened coconut mixed with
coconut oil, just a bit, and a little sweetener and a pinch of xanthan gum
to hold it together makes a good crust, just place it in the pie pan and
refrigerate. Mock key lime pie is terrific in this. Here are the proportions
I use:

· 1 1/2 cups flaked unsweetened coconut

· 1 packet Splenda

· 3 tablespoons chilled coconut oil

· ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)

Coconut oil is liquid when warmed; solid when chilled so that may help you
understand it's properties. I'm experimenting with coconut flour in some
recipes and will report back my findings and any recipes worthy of sharing.
Coconut is great but just make sure it's not loaded with sugar! Bon
appetite!

Nancy "Boomer" Huffines