Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Uncle Enrico's Fruit Chutney

This recipe came out tasting better than a commercial (high sugar) mango
chutney according to two different taste testers. I adapted Uncle Enrico's
recipe and added the nutrition analysis data.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Low Carb Fruit Chutney

Very similar to the Mango Chutney enjoyed with British style meat curries.
But this one won't wreck your diabetic meal plan.

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 8
Cuisine: Indian
Main Ingredient: Apricot
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Vegetarian, Low Carb, Slow cook, Sauces,
Condiments

-= Ingredients =-
1/4 cup Sugar-free apricot preserves ; - I used Polaner brand
2 teaspoons Cider Vinegar ; - to taste
1/4 teaspoon Chili powder ; - to taste
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon ; - ground
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder ; - or 1 small clove fresh, mashed
1/8 teaspoon ginger ; - or fresh, minced
1 ounce Fresh mango ; - optional, fine diced

-= Instructions =-
Over low heat (or in a double boiler) combine all ingredients. Allow to cook
for at least 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Allow to cool a bit then taste
and adjust spices as desired.

I added a slice of mango that I had on hand so the batch was Mango chutney.
Other fruits and preserve flavors may be used to suit your tastes and
availability.

Each (1 tsp) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 8, FatCals: 0, TotFat: 0g
SatFat: 0g, PolyFat: 0g, MonoFat: 0g
Chol: 0g, Na: 1mg, K: 23mg
TotCarbs: 3g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 0g
NetCarbs: 2g, Protein: 0g

Adapted from recipe by Uncle Enrico on the Alt.Food.Diabetic newsgroup

** Recipe, with photo, posted at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe161235 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> Each (1 tsp) serving contains an estimated:
> Cals: 8, FatCals: 0, TotFat: 0g
> SatFat: 0g, PolyFat: 0g, MonoFat: 0g
> Chol: 0g, Na: 1mg, K: 23mg
> TotCarbs: 3g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 0g
> NetCarbs: 2g, Protein: 0g

This looks wonderful, Pete - I'll definitely be giving it a try - but my
carb count will be much higher, as the best sugar-free apricot preserve I
can get my hands on is 40g CHO/100g. Can you guys really get it lower than
that? <envy>

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> "Pete Romfh" > wrote in
> message ...
>> Each (1 tsp) serving contains an estimated:
>> Cals: 8, FatCals: 0, TotFat: 0g
>> SatFat: 0g, PolyFat: 0g, MonoFat: 0g
>> Chol: 0g, Na: 1mg, K: 23mg
>> TotCarbs: 3g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 0g
>> NetCarbs: 2g, Protein: 0g

> This looks wonderful, Pete - I'll definitely be giving it
> a try - but my carb count will be much higher, as the
> best sugar-free apricot preserve I can get my hands on is
> 40g CHO/100g. Can you guys really get it lower than that?
> <envy>
>
> Nicky.

I used Polaner Sugar Free. The label shows 5g CHO/17g (1 teaspoon). That
works out to 29.41g/100 for the preserves. That is then diluted by the other
(0 carb) ingredients (lemon juice, spices, etc.) and off-set by the small
amount of fiber in the fruit to bring it down to the levels I estimated.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peter: I really like the addition of apple cider vinegar and ginger.
Excellent.

Nicky, Smuckers is 5 gr. carb to 17 grams of preserve...about 29% which is
a little less than your 40 gr Carb/100 grams preserve. But you don't need
much more than a tbsp of the chutney per serving.

1985 Corvo Duca Enrico Rosso Bi!! Wine 3 13-01-2011 09:56 PM
So... what's Uncle Sam having for breakfast? Andy[_15_] General Cooking 4 15-04-2009 05:19 PM
Uncle Enrico's Curry Wraps Pete Romfh Diabetic 3 12-06-2006 02:48 PM
What makes chutney chutney? Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 31 16-08-2005 03:27 PM
Uncle Sam's Kisses Lesli Baking 4 15-02-2005 03:53 AM