Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Uncle Enrico's Curry Wraps

I adapted Uncle Enrico's recipe and added a nutrition analysis.
These were delicious for today's lunch.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Uncle Enrico's Low Carb Curry Wraps

Spicy and filling but still low carb. These won't wreck your diabetic meal
plan.

Recipe By: Pete & Peggy Romfh
Serving Size: 8
Cuisine: Indian
Main Ingredient: Turkey
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Low Carb, Low Fat, Sauté, Snacks, Main
Dish, Brunch

-= Ingredients =-
1 pound ground turkey ; - Browned and crumbled
1 tablespoon Olive oil
2 cloves Garlic ; - minced
1/4 cup Onion ; - chopped
1/4 cup Raisins ; - chopped fine
1/2 cup Celery ; - chopped fine
1/4 cup Carrot ; - shredded
1/2 cup Broccoli Slaw ; chopped
1 tablespoon Curry Powder ; - Hot, to taste
1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon Olive oil
1 teaspoon Flour
1/4 cup Lemon juice
8 6 inch Low Carb Tortillas
1/2 cup Low Carb Fruit Chutney
1/4 cup Unsweetened coconut ; - for garnish
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper ; - coarse ground

-= Instructions =-
Brown, crumble and drain the turkey. Set aside.

In a large pan heat 1 tbs oil then sauté the garlic, onion, raisins, and
celery until quite tender. Then add the carrot and broccoli. While that is
cooking prepare the sauce.

In a small pan mix together the curry powder, 1 tsp olive oil, salt, pepper,
and flour. Stir over low heat until a paste is formed. Then add the lemon
juice, stirring constantly. Continue stirring over heat until mixture
thickens and forms a smooth, brown sauce. All sauce to simmer for 2 minutes
while you mix the turkey with the sautéed vegetables. Finally add the sauce
to the meat/vegetable mixture and stir to evenly coat everything. The
mixture should be dry with all the sauce being absorbed or coating the other
ingredients.

Allow mixture to simmer a few minutes while you warm the tortillas and
prepare the plates.

For each wrap place a tortilla on a place. Spoon in the curry filling and
roll up the tortilla. Place about a teaspoon of Low Carb Chutney on top and
sprinkle lightly with coconut. Garnish with a few chopped cilantro or
parsley leaves.

Serve on a bed of broccoli slaw or shredded cabbage.

Adapted from a recipe by Uncle Enrico, posted on the Alt.Food.Diabetic
newsgroup.

Each (148g) wrap contains an estimated:
Cals: 229, FatCals: 98, Tot Fat: 10g
SatFat: 3g, PolyFat: 2g, MonoFat: 5g
Chol: 40mg, Na: 290mg, K: 409mg
TotCarbs: 22g, Fiber: 10g, Sugars: 5g
NetCarbs: 12g, Protein: 15g

** Recipe, with photo, at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe161244 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Where did you find "Low Carb Fruit Chutney"?

Jennifer

Pete Romfh wrote:

> [...]
> thickens and forms a smooth, brown sauce. All sauce to simmer for 2 minutes
> while you mix the turkey with the sautéed vegetables. Finally add the sauce
> to the meat/vegetable mixture and stir to evenly coat everything. The
> mixture should be dry with all the sauce being absorbed or coating the other
> ingredients.
>
> Allow mixture to simmer a few minutes while you warm the tortillas and
> prepare the plates.
>
> For each wrap place a tortilla on a place. Spoon in the curry filling and
> roll up the tortilla. Place about a teaspoon of Low Carb Chutney on top and
> sprinkle lightly with coconut. Garnish with a few chopped cilantro or
> parsley leaves.
>
> Serve on a bed of broccoli slaw or shredded cabbage.
>
> Adapted from a recipe by Uncle Enrico, posted on the Alt.Food.Diabetic

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jennifer wrote:
> Where did you find "Low Carb Fruit Chutney"?
>
> Jennifer

I made it from Sugar Free Apricot preserves. I just posted the recipe.

Enjoy.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks for the attribution, Pete, and you've created a first rate
adaptation.
Great photos, too. I think your adapted chutney is probably much tastier
than mine.

BTW, I was looking at a Naan recipe (the flatbread I'm trying to imitate)
and the recipe called for vinegar and yogurt, among other things. Sounded
good to me, though I've had to cut back on my fascination with this bread
because I started gaining weight.

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> [...]
> roll up the tortilla. Place about a teaspoon of Low Carb Chutney on top
> and
> sprinkle lightly with coconut. Garnish with a few chopped cilantro or
> parsley leaves.
>
> Serve on a bed of broccoli slaw or shredded cabbage.
>
> Adapted from a recipe by Uncle Enrico, posted on the Alt.Food.Diabetic
> newsgroup.
>
> Each (148g) wrap contains an estimated:
> Cals: 229, FatCals: 98, Tot Fat: 10g
> SatFat: 3g, PolyFat: 2g, MonoFat: 5g
> Chol: 40mg, Na: 290mg, K: 409mg
> TotCarbs: 22g, Fiber: 10g, Sugars: 5g
> NetCarbs: 12g, Protein: 15g
>
> ** Recipe, with photo, at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe161244 **
> ** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **
>

> --
> Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.

uncle ben's tortillas ViLco General Cooking 50 09-10-2012 12:46 PM
1985 Corvo Duca Enrico Rosso Bi!! Wine 3 13-01-2011 09:56 PM
So... what's Uncle Sam having for breakfast? Andy[_15_] General Cooking 4 15-04-2009 05:19 PM
Uncle Enrico's Fruit Chutney Pete Romfh Diabetic 3 12-06-2006 03:08 PM
Uncle Sam's Kisses Lesli Baking 4 15-02-2005 03:53 AM