Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Lamb Liver - for UK ONLY

One of my great loves, is Lamb Liver.

I like it sliced very thinly - say about 1/8th inch.
Soaked in milk and after all the "tubes" removed.
FABULOUS when those then dipped in HOT Margarine for a few seconds each
side, and then slipped into a sandwich, the VERY rare Meat - just you wont
believe how delicious!
Pork Liver is just as nice but a different taste.

My Complaint, is that Supermarket Pre-Pack livers, from all animals, are put
through a Band-Saw, from frozen, set at 1 inch thickness - too lazy to
re-set from the dice used for stews.
None are in the hands of a REAL Butcher.

Time perhaps to start a campaign for thin-sliced Liver?
Just because it's a CHEAP food, shouldn't allow the Profit-Mongers to abuse
us?

99% of Supermarket-sold Livers, are used to feed pet Animals.

Less than 20% of livers sold at my Quality Butcher, in his words "About half
the Ox Liver is for pets, we slice by hand for a customer"

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"See Hear" > wrote in message
> 99% of Supermarket-sold Livers, are used to feed pet Animals.

I think I paid around 70p for a pound of lambs liver this week. This
animal's happy : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"See Hear" > wrote:

> One of my great loves, is Lamb Liver.
>
> I like it sliced very thinly - say about 1/8th inch.
> Soaked in milk and after all the "tubes" removed.
> FABULOUS when those then dipped in HOT Margarine for a few seconds each
> side, and then slipped into a sandwich, the VERY rare Meat - just you wont
> believe how delicious!

I love lamb liver, too, but I like it about the thickness I can buy it
-- say 1/2 inch or so.

But why did you put "for UK ONLY" in the subject? Some of us in the US
eat it.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I would have thought that in the Land of the Free, you could get a decent
Butcher to slice the Lamb Livers THINLY, so precluded both the US & Canada
from that post. Hence - UK ONLY.
Similarly - OZ & NZ - Lands of the sheep Sh*****s, that they would have
sense enough to slice them thinly, rather than as in UK, they just get 14Lb
Tubs of Frozen Lamb Livers and shove the frozen blocks through a Bandsaw -
resulting in INCH thick slices that range from thumb size, to Hand Palm
size, all complete with skins and tubes that make the packaged product most
unattractive.

However, today, I went to my better Butcher and bought a whole Lamb Liver.
At home, I trimmed away the worst of the tubes and took off all the skin -
how many Butchers actually DO that now?
The Posterior lobe has just one major artery and that was easily eviscerated
to leave an almost connective tissue-free small slab of meat.
The Anterior lobe of the Liver has most of the arteries and connective
tissues and that proved a little more difficult to clear of those. But not
more than 5 minutes.
Both totally trimmed Lobes were then chilled down as far as possible without
freezing them (at a slow rate) until they were semi-plastic.
Brought out then and sliced carefully to wafer-thin just as I want them, the
fillets were then put between sheets of Cling and portioned for freezing.

THIS is how I want to BUY Liver and dont mind paying for the prep.
I REFUSE to pay for something stuck through a bandsaw complete with skins
and tubes and sold at a Premium price.

"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "See Hear" > wrote:
>
>> One of my great loves, is Lamb Liver.
>>
>> I like it sliced very thinly - say about 1/8th inch.
>> Soaked in milk and after all the "tubes" removed.
>> FABULOUS when those then dipped in HOT Margarine for a few seconds each
>> side, and then slipped into a sandwich, the VERY rare Meat - just you
>> wont
>> believe how delicious!

> I love lamb liver, too, but I like it about the thickness I can buy it
> -- say 1/2 inch or so.
>
> But why did you put "for UK ONLY" in the subject? Some of us in the US
> eat it.
>
> Priscilla

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

And how was it? - All bits and tubes?
Betcha when it was fried, it was gruesome!
Unless of course, you braised it. (Wasted it)

The BEST way to eat Livers, is to just slice them THINLY and then dip the
slices into very HOT Butter or Margarine, just a second each side, serve
appropriately - VERY RARE, to get the Maximum benefit from all the wonderful
nutrients that a Liver holds for Human Nutrition.

"Nicky" > wrote in message

> "See Hear" > wrote in message
>> 99% of Supermarket-sold Livers, are used to feed pet Animals.

> I think I paid around 70p for a pound of lambs liver this week. This
> animal's happy : )
>
> Nicky.
>
> --
> A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
> 1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
> 95/74/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Here is my mother's recipe for "Chopped Liver."
She made it with either Lamb, Beef or Chicken liver.

1/2 lb. liver
1 medium-sized onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons melted chicken fat
2 hard-cooked eggs

Pan fry the Liver.
Chop Liver with the onion and egg or put through a meat grinder.
Add salt, pepper and chicken fat.
continue chopping until mixture is well blended and smooth.

Enjoy

PJ

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peanutjake wrote:

> Here is my mother's recipe for "Chopped Liver."
> She made it with either Lamb, Beef or Chicken liver.
>
> 1/2 lb. liver
> 1 medium-sized onion
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/8 teaspoon pepper
> 2 tablespoons melted chicken fat
> 2 hard-cooked eggs
>
> Pan fry the Liver.
> Chop Liver with the onion and egg or put through a meat grinder.
> Add salt, pepper and chicken fat.
> continue chopping until mixture is well blended and smooth.
>
> Enjoy
>
> PJ

Try putting a bit of the chicken fat into the pan along with some, not
all, of the onions. It's a cholesterol-fest and gives me heartburn, but
it's sooooo yummy!

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: Peanutjake wrote:

: > Here is my mother's recipe for "Chopped Liver."
: > She made it with either Lamb, Beef or Chicken liver.
: >
: > 1/2 lb. liver
: > 1 medium-sized onion
: > 1 teaspoon salt
: > 1/8 teaspoon pepper
: > 2 tablespoons melted chicken fat
: > 2 hard-cooked eggs
: >
: > Pan fry the Liver.
: > Chop Liver with the onion and egg or put through a meat grinder.
: > Add salt, pepper and chicken fat.
: > continue chopping until mixture is well blended and smooth.
: >
: > Enjoy
: >
: > PJ

: Try putting a bit of the chicken fat into the pan along with some, not
: all, of the onions. It's a cholesterol-fest and gives me heartburn, but
: it's sooooo yummy!

: --
: -----------
: Janet Wilder
: The Road Princess
: http://janetwilder.blogspot.com

I do make coped liver occasionally, using either beef liver or a
combiation of beef and chicken livers. For the best and mosst authentic
texture, broil the liver, rather than fry it (too soft that way). For
chicken liver make sure the liver is fairly wel done, but for beef liver
it reqres less cooking, toonly t about medium rare. I fry the choped
onions in a smll amount of chicken fat in a non-stick pan adn use the
whoes only of about 5 hrd boiled eggs for a pound of liver and a pound of
onions. Salt (or driy chicken sup powder) and freshly ground pepper
finish of the dish. I make it in my food processor, chopping each
ingredient separately, This results in a texture that most resembles the
old fshioned hand chopped version made in a wooden bowl with a "hachmesser
-or half moon shaped blade on a one handed handle.

I find that using rare chicken liver, mixing the ingredients in the
processor or frying the liver results in a pasty consistancy. Chopped
liver is not the same as a pate or terrine in taste or texture.

Wendy -someone with strong opinions on this food:-)