Imase

Default Smotherd Greens

I need a lite recipe for smotherd greens.
The ones I make now are done with collards, mustard and whatever else I
can find.
Potatoes, Pork necks with plenty of mead and a couple of hocks.
We always have this around the house and fix it with cornedbread and it
goes great with ribs.

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 12 Aug 2005 08:32:16p, Imase wrote in alt.food.diabetic:

> I need a lite recipe for smotherd greens.
> The ones I make now are done with collards, mustard and whatever else I
> can find.
> Potatoes, Pork necks with plenty of mead and a couple of hocks.
> We always have this around the house and fix it with cornedbread and it
> goes great with ribs.

My mom used to make wonderful "wilted" salads with baby turnip or mustard
greens. Definitely "lighter" than the smothered greens you describe, but
also very good with cornbread.

bacon, fried crisp, fat reserved
cider vinegar
sugar
salt
young, tender greens
scallions, chopped
red radishes, sliced

Combine vegetables in large salad or mixing bowl.

In a small saucepan, combine several tablespoons bacon fat, vinegar, sugar,
and salt to taste, to create a nice sweet/sour balance. Bring quickly to a
rolling boil and pour over salad mixture. Toss briskly until greens are
slightly wilted. Crumble bacon over salad and serve immediately.

Note: Older greens will be tough.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-5, 08/12/2005
Tested on: 8/13/2005 12:29:50 AM

None Given

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> Note: Older greens will be tough.

We chop them, boil them a few minutes, pour off the water, then cook them in
fresh water, bacon/grease, salt, seasoned salt, sautéed onion.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes