Carrie Jacques

Default diabetic cake?

My mother's birthday is on Sunday and I would really like to make her a cake
she can actually eat. Not only is she diabetic, but she needs to be on a
gluten free diet and is lactose intolerant. Basically she can't much of
anything, but she really misses sweets. Any ideas?

Thanks

Carrie

Alan S

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 06:58:33 GMT, "Carrie Jacques"
> wrote:

|My mother's birthday is on Sunday and I would really like to make her a cake
|she can actually eat. Not only is she diabetic, but she needs to be on a
|gluten free diet and is lactose intolerant. Basically she can't much of
|anything, but she really misses sweets. Any ideas?
|
|Thanks
|
|Carrie

Hi Carrie

A lot depends on the type of diet her doc has her on. If she is
balancing her diabetes with meds or insulin, she may be able to eat
some significant carbs without problems; if she is like me (no meds),
she can't. So that's the first thing you need to check.

Additonally, for a special event like a birthday, as long as a little
common sense is applied, a guilt-free meal (as far as carbs go) should
do very little harm.

On gluten-free, but plenty of carbs, check out some of the recipes on
this site. I haven't tried them myself (too many carbs for me) but
they look good for the gluten-free aspect.

Main page
http://recipefinder.ninemsn.com.au/r...RecipeFinde r

One example: Almond and mandarin cake (appears to be lactose-free as
well)
http://ourhouse.ninemsn.com.au/ourho...se/27/2771.asp

Wish her happy birthday from us:-)

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Nicky

"Carrie Jacques" > wrote in message
> My mother's birthday is on Sunday and I would really like to make her a
> cake
> she can actually eat. Not only is she diabetic, but she needs to be on a
> gluten free diet and is lactose intolerant. Basically she can't much of
> anything, but she really misses sweets. Any ideas?

This is my favourite:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...ke_72383.shtml

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 Weight 95/77/72Kg
1g Metformin, 87.5ug Thyroxine

Alan S

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:31:20 -0000, "Nicky"
> wrote:

|"Carrie Jacques" > wrote in message
|> My mother's birthday is on Sunday and I would really like to make her a
|> cake
|> she can actually eat. Not only is she diabetic, but she needs to be on a
|> gluten free diet and is lactose intolerant. Basically she can't much of
|> anything, but she really misses sweets. Any ideas?
|
|This is my favourite:
|http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...ke_72383.shtml
|
|Nicky.

Hi Nicky

Have a look at the recipe link I posted, then compare the actual
recipes and methods.

What were the odds on those two posts appearing within seconds of each
other:-)

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
None Given

"Carrie Jacques" > wrote in message
> My mother's birthday is on Sunday and I would really like to make her a

cake
> she can actually eat. Not only is she diabetic, but she needs to be on a
> gluten free diet and is lactose intolerant. Basically she can't much of
> anything, but she really misses sweets. Any ideas?

My sister's kids chew a pill, I think it's called Lactase before they have
milk products because they are lactose intolerant, that may help your mother
handle some dairy products.
Some of these might work, I have only tried Jenny's fudge, so far.
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec..._Ca53205.shtml
http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/recipes
http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/Cookbook/Desserts.html

I made this one yesterday, it is really good but I don't know if soy flour
has gluten or not, the bran is only used to keep it from sticking to the pan
but maybe there is some other way, cocoa powder might work, it did on
regular cake mixes back in the day. It came from the Low Carb and Loving it
show on the Food Network.
Low Carb Double Chocolate Walnut Brownies
Yield: 25 servings
1 1/2 tablespoons wheat bran, or oat bran
1 1/4 cups plus 1/2 tablespoon soy flour
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
1/2 cup heavy cream
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon no sugar added vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Low Carb Chocolate Frosting, recipe follows

Special Equipment: 8-inch square baking pan

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Spray pan with nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray.
Set aside. Mix wheat bran and 1/2 tablespoon soy flour
together and sprinkle evenly over the inside of the
greased pan, also coating the sides.

Place the unsweetened chocolate and butter in a steel
bowl and melt over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk
in 1 cup sugar substitute and 1/4 cup heavy cream. Once
thoroughly blended, turn off heat and keep warm until
needed.

With an electric mixer on high, beat the eggs, 1 cup
sugar substitute and the vanilla extract just until
blended. Reduce to low speed and then blend in the
chocolate mixture.

With a wooden spoon, mix in the baking powder,
1 1/4 cups soy flour, walnuts, and 1/4 cup heavy cream.
Spread evenly into the prepared pan and bake on the
center rack for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick
inserted in the center comes out clean. (Do not over-
bake or brownies will be dry and hard.) Cool completely
before frosting with low carb chocolate frosting. Cut
into 5 rows by 5 rows to make 25 pieces.

Low Carb Chocolate Frosting:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (not melted)
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon no sugar added vanilla extract
Few drops hot water, as needed, to thin consistency

Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until
well combined. Use to frost brownies, but make sure
brownies are completely cooled, or the butter in the
frosting will melt.

Nutrition Information
Nutritional Analysis per Serving Calories 152
Total Fat 14 grams Saturated Fat 7 grams
Carbohydrates 6 grams Net Carbohydrates 4 grams
Fiber 2 grams

Episode#: LL1A13
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All
ights Reserved

Jennifer

Here you go... low carb cheesecake.

No gluten. Little carbs. Delicious.

MYRA'S NEW YORK-STYLE CHEESECAKE

Crust:
1 1/4 cups finely ground almonds OR other nuts
Sweetener equal to 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Topping:
2 cups sour cream (16 oz. container)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Sweetener equal to 1 tablespoon sugar

Filling:
3 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
Sweetener equivalent to 1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a bowl, combine the almonds, 1 tablespoon sweetener and melted butter
until combined. Press into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Chill in
the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.

In a bowl, mix the sour cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon
sweetener until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and 1 cup sweetener until fluffy.
Add the eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition. Blend in
the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla.

Pour the cream cheese mixture into the springform pan, and bake at 350
degree for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted halfway between the edge
and center comes clean. With a spatula, spread the sour cream mixture
over the top, making sure you reach to the edges of the pan. Return cake
to oven and bake an additional 5 minutes.

Remove cake from oven, allow to cool to room temperature (cake will
settle in the pan). Slide a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen
it, then remove the springform ring. Keep chilled in the refrigerator.

Makes 16 servings, about 5 grams of carbs per serving if made with
almonds

Carrie Jacques wrote:
> My mother's birthday is on Sunday and I would really like to make her a cake
> she can actually eat. Not only is she diabetic, but she needs to be on a
> gluten free diet and is lactose intolerant. Basically she can't much of
> anything, but she really misses sweets. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Carrie

Jennifer

Oh dear.

Forgive me Carrie... i missed the Lactose Intolerant part when I posted
the Cheesecake recipe.

Here's another recipe to make up for it! Don't cut it until you light
the candles and sing... and then it's cake, not brownies!

MYRA'S CHOCOLATE-WALNUT BROWNIES

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups Splenda
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons cream (or water or coffee)
1 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 square pan.

In a mixer, cream together the butter and Splenda. Add the eggs, one at a
time, incorporating well. Add the vanilla and cream, blending well. In a
small bowl, mix together the almond flour, xantham gum, salt and baking
soda. Add the almond flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating
with the chocolate. Fold in the nuts. This makes a very stiff batter -
almost dough-like.

Spread the batter in the greased pan, and baking for about 12-13 minutes,
or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cut into 16 1-inch squares.

Makes 16 servings, 3.38 carbs per serving.

Carrie Jacques wrote:

> My mother's birthday is on Sunday and I would really like to make her a cake
> she can actually eat. Not only is she diabetic, but she needs to be on a
> gluten free diet and is lactose intolerant. Basically she can't much of
> anything, but she really misses sweets. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Carrie

Jennifer

Carrie Jacques wrote:

> My mother's birthday is on Sunday and I would really like to make her a cake
> she can actually eat. Not only is she diabetic, but she needs to be on a
> gluten free diet and is lactose intolerant. Basically she can't much of
> anything, but she really misses sweets. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Carrie

Nicky

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:31:20 -0000, "Nicky"
> Have a look at the recipe link I posted, then compare the actual
> recipes and methods.
>
> What were the odds on those two posts appearing within seconds of each
> other:-)

Great minds : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 Weight 95/77/72Kg
1g Metformin, 87.5ug Thyroxine
T2 DX 05/2004

Nicky

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:31:20 -0000, "Nicky"
> Have a look at the recipe link I posted, then compare the actual
> recipes and methods.
>
> What were the odds on those two posts appearing within seconds of each
> other:-)

Great minds : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 Weight 95/77/72Kg
1g Metformin, 87.5ug Thyroxine
T2 DX 05/2004

Peanutjake

Carrie Jacques > wrote in message
> My mother's birthday is on Sunday and I would really like to make her a

cake
> she can actually eat. Not only is she diabetic, but she needs to be on a
> gluten free diet and is lactose intolerant. Basically she can't much of
> anything, but she really misses sweets. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Carrie

My invention is a Sugar free Jello Rainbow cake.
It meets your qualifacations but it takes 2 days to make.

Get 4 different flavors of sugar free jello.

Prepare the first color using a little less water than the box calls for.
After the jello has set for about 90 minutes beat it with an electric mixer
until it has doubled in volume.

Pour it into a spring pan and let it set for 8 hours.

Prepare the second color the same way but add a little soy milk while you
are beating it to get a pastel color.

Pour it into the same spring pan and let it set for 8 hours.

prepare the third color as you did the first color.

prepare the fourth color as you did the second color.

Let the whole thing set in the fridge over night.

At the party carefully open the spring pan. If you have done it right it
will hold together.

Serve and enjoy.

PJ

Lois Reay

"Carrie Jacques" > wrote in message
> My mother's birthday is on Sunday and I would really like to make her a

cake
> she can actually eat. Not only is she diabetic, but she needs to be on a
> gluten free diet and is lactose intolerant. Basically she can't much of
> anything, but she really misses sweets. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Carrie

Below is the cake I make, it is very tasty, I got the recipe from my
Diabetes magazine.
To make it easier to cut into serving size portions cut cake into quarters
first, then each quarter into 16 servings.
Enjoy.

Lois

Celebration Cake

A rich fruit cake for any special occasion.

Makes 1 large cake

450g currants
300g sultanas
1½ cups grated carrot, lightly packed (135g)
1/3 cup brandy
1 1/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
100g dried apricots, chopped
100g butter
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
2½ cups wholemeal flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
2 eggs

Place currants, sultanas, grated carrot and brandy in a large mixing bowl.
Heat apple juice, chopped apricots and butter together in a large pot until
butter has melted. Dissolve bicarbonate of soda in this hot mixture, then
pour this over the fruit. Add dry ingredients and eggs and mix well.

Transfer mixture to a prepared (base lined with greaseproof paper and
greased) cake tin.
Decorate surface with a few whole or chopped walnuts if desired. Bake at
160°c until cooked, approximately 55 minutes.

Nutrition information: per serve.
KJ 300, Cal 71, Fat (g) 1.5, Fibre (g) 2 Protein (g) 1 Carbohydrate (g) 13

Hahabogus

"Peanutjake" > wrote in
:

> Carrie Jacques > wrote in message
> > My mother's birthday is on Sunday and I would really like to make
> > her a

> cake
> > she can actually eat. Not only is she diabetic, but she needs to
> > be on a gluten free diet and is lactose intolerant. Basically she
> > can't much of anything, but she really misses sweets. Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Carrie
> >

> My invention is a Sugar free Jello Rainbow cake.
> It meets your qualifacations but it takes 2 days to make.
>
> Get 4 different flavors of sugar free jello.
>
> Prepare the first color using a little less water than the box calls
> for. After the jello has set for about 90 minutes beat it with an
> electric mixer until it has doubled in volume.
>
> Pour it into a spring pan and let it set for 8 hours.
>
> Prepare the second color the same way but add a little soy milk
> while you are beating it to get a pastel color.
>
> Pour it into the same spring pan and let it set for 8 hours.
>
> prepare the third color as you did the first color.
>
> prepare the fourth color as you did the second color.
>
> Let the whole thing set in the fridge over night.
>
> At the party carefully open the spring pan. If you have done it
> right it will hold together.
>
> Serve and enjoy.
>
> PJ

Done with heavy cream and not soy milk, this is good.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban

Poll: Rainbow cake, jellybean cake, or tye dye cake? Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 7 29-05-2012 10:14 PM
Diabetic ? atec7 7[_2_] General Cooking 12 26-05-2010 07:36 PM
Diabetic Cake mix Emma Chandler Diabetic 18 09-12-2008 11:17 PM
Diabetic wedding cake? Lori Diabetic 3 03-02-2004 04:31 PM
Diabetic wedding cake? Lori Baking 8 08-01-2004 02:29 AM