Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Diabetic Cake mix

Do any of you know if you can purchase a diabetic cake mix?
Our Sunday School Class is making gift tins for shutins. I want to make
cupcakes easily with a cake mix. Anyone know who stocks these?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

That is a great thing your class is doing.

There really is no such thing...at least no ready to add egg and water
mix...as far as i know for diabetics.

The problem is some people can tolerate some things and some cant..so a type
one may do fine if the carb exchange is low and you use things like almond
flour in it...altho there might be people with nut restrictions...type twos
have different issues then type ones..

Some cant take sugar subs well or dislike the taste and texture..some sugar
subs give gastric distress to some people...same for low carb flour subs
like carbalose..some it works for others might as well eat regular flour as
it spikes them the same or worse..gives them a prolonged rise.

If your class knows who it being made for perhaps ask the person what their
needs are before makign them.

If thats not possible then id recomend making a healthier type of cupcake
such a zuccini bread cupcakes with less sugar and a choice of icing or no
icing maybe?

Sorry i dont have a solid answer on a mix for you.

KROM

"Emma Chandler" > wrote in message
> Do any of you know if you can purchase a diabetic cake mix?
> Our Sunday School Class is making gift tins for shutins. I want to make
> cupcakes easily with a cake mix. Anyone know who stocks these?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Emma Chandler" > wrote in message
> Do any of you know if you can purchase a diabetic cake mix?
> Our Sunday School Class is making gift tins for shutins. I want to make
> cupcakes easily with a cake mix. Anyone know who stocks these?

There is no such thing!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Emma Chandler" > wrote in message
> Do any of you know if you can purchase a diabetic cake mix?
> Our Sunday School Class is making gift tins for shutins. I want to make
> cupcakes easily with a cake mix. Anyone know who stocks these?

Haven't seen such a thing, but if you don't mind making it from scratch, you
can sub Splenda for the sugar and at least lower the carb count.

Wes

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Willy" > wrote:

> "Emma Chandler" > wrote in message
> > Do any of you know if you can purchase a diabetic cake mix?
> > Our Sunday School Class is making gift tins for shutins. I want to make
> > cupcakes easily with a cake mix. Anyone know who stocks these?
> >

> Haven't seen such a thing, but if you don't mind making it from scratch, you
> can sub Splenda for the sugar and at least lower the carb count.

That won't work, for the most part, as sugar contributes structure as
well as taste.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Willy" > wrote:
>
>> "Emma Chandler" > wrote in message
>> > Do any of you know if you can purchase a diabetic cake mix?
>> > Our Sunday School Class is making gift tins for shutins. I want to make
>> > cupcakes easily with a cake mix. Anyone know who stocks these?
>> >

>> Haven't seen such a thing, but if you don't mind making it from scratch,
>> you
>> can sub Splenda for the sugar and at least lower the carb count.
>>

> That won't work, for the most part, as sugar contributes structure as
> well as taste.

True. And how many diabetics eat cake? I know I never do.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks all. We will make diabetic cookies and fill the tins. I found a
nice applesauce cookie and peanut butter and raisin recipe..
Wal mart has a diabetic angel food cake will consider it and slice it
and wrap to place in the tins. Thanks again. I also found that Bernards
makes a cake mix but it has to be special ordered. Do not have time.
Thanks again!!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Emma Chandler wrote:
> Thanks all. We will make diabetic cookies and fill the tins. I found a
> nice applesauce cookie and peanut butter and raisin recipe..
> Wal mart has a diabetic angel food cake will consider it and slice it
> and wrap to place in the tins. Thanks again. I also found that Bernards
> makes a cake mix but it has to be special ordered. Do not have time.
> Thanks again!!

On my soap box
There goes another one of the uninformed! Substitute the sugar for
artificial sweetener and it's "Diabetic" Sugar is a carbohydrate.
Applesauce is a carbohydrate. Flour is a carbohydrate. Peanut butter,
unless it is natural without added sweeteners, has carbohyrdates.

News Flash! One tablespoon of table sugar has the same number of
carbohydrates as a slice of supermarket white bread or an 8 ounce glass
of milk.

Diabetics need to carefully watch their carbohydrate intake, sugar is
only a tiny part of it. Wheat flour is very carbohydrate dense so just
about any baked goods made with flour are not very friendly to Diabetics.

Stop doing Diabetics any favors. Uneducated folks like you are a danger
to those with the illness.

Off my soap box

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

We were trying to gently tell you those arent real "diabetic" cakes...it is
sort of like going to a alcoholics annon group and askin what brand whiskey
you can buy for your non drinking friends.

Sure you can buy some non alcoholic "mixes" but most alcoholic i know simply
avoid temptation altogether..even in the form of a substitute.

Likewise many diabetic avoid desserts...ESPECIALLY ones they havnt checked
out and tested for themselfs.

Thats why i suggested ASKING first.

So while your intent is admirable your being very singleminded about this..

Would you give muslims faux bacon?..just because you insist on serving them
some form of bacon?..i would hope not.

Same for diabetics...simply you deciding on a dessert doesnt mean its the
right thing to do...especially with elderly or people unable to properly
care for themselfs...

Have you seen the effects of poor control on a diabetic?

If you really care for these shut in and want to give them a treat..why not
a pre paid phone card to call loved ones or you class singing thier favorite
songs in the rec room?

KROM

"Emma Chandler" > wrote in message
> Thanks all. We will make diabetic cookies and fill the tins. I found a
> nice applesauce cookie and peanut butter and raisin recipe..
> Wal mart has a diabetic angel food cake will consider it and slice it
> and wrap to place in the tins. Thanks again. I also found that Bernards
> makes a cake mix but it has to be special ordered. Do not have time.
> Thanks again!!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Emma Chandler" > wrote in message
> Thanks all. We will make diabetic cookies and fill the tins. I found a
> nice applesauce cookie and peanut butter and raisin recipe..
> Wal mart has a diabetic angel food cake will consider it and slice it
> and wrap to place in the tins. Thanks again. I also found that Bernards
> makes a cake mix but it has to be special ordered. Do not have time.
> Thanks again!!

How could those possibly be diabetic? Raisins and applesauce are high in
natural sugars. Please don't give those to the diabetics. They are likely
to go in the trash. You should give them a non-edible gift.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Emma Chandler" > wrote in message
>> Thanks all. We will make diabetic cookies and fill the tins. I found
>> a nice applesauce cookie and peanut butter and raisin recipe..
>> Wal mart has a diabetic angel food cake will consider it and slice it
>> and wrap to place in the tins. Thanks again. I also found that
>> Bernards makes a cake mix but it has to be special ordered. Do not
>> have time. Thanks again!!

> How could those possibly be diabetic? Raisins and applesauce are
> high in natural sugars. Please don't give those to the diabetics. They
> are likely to go in the trash.

> You should give them a non-edible gift.

I thought she was.

--
Ray
UK

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 21:52:10 GMT, "musika" > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Emma Chandler" > wrote in message
>>> Thanks all. We will make diabetic cookies and fill the tins. I found
>>> a nice applesauce cookie and peanut butter and raisin recipe..
>>> Wal mart has a diabetic angel food cake will consider it and slice it
>>> and wrap to place in the tins. Thanks again. I also found that
>>> Bernards makes a cake mix but it has to be special ordered. Do not
>>> have time. Thanks again!!

>> How could those possibly be diabetic? Raisins and applesauce are
>> high in natural sugars. Please don't give those to the diabetics. They
>> are likely to go in the trash.

>> You should give them a non-edible gift.

>I thought she was.

LOL - and I bet she's gone trippingly off to do her "good deed",
having completely ignored the answers to her question...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"musika" > wrote in message
. ..
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Emma Chandler" > wrote in message
>>> Thanks all. We will make diabetic cookies and fill the tins. I found
>>> a nice applesauce cookie and peanut butter and raisin recipe..
>>> Wal mart has a diabetic angel food cake will consider it and slice it
>>> and wrap to place in the tins. Thanks again. I also found that
>>> Bernards makes a cake mix but it has to be special ordered. Do not
>>> have time. Thanks again!!

>> How could those possibly be diabetic? Raisins and applesauce are
>> high in natural sugars. Please don't give those to the diabetics. They
>> are likely to go in the trash.

>> You should give them a non-edible gift.

> I thought she was.

Ha! Would be for me!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 09:05:39 -0600, "krom"
> wrote:

>sort of like going to a alcoholics annon group and askin what brand whiskey
>you can buy for your non drinking friends.

Best answer I've seen yet.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (The Diabetes Diet Wars)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
>> In article >,

>>> Haven't seen such a thing, but if you don't mind making it from scratch,
>>> you
>>> can sub Splenda for the sugar and at least lower the carb count.
>>>

>> That won't work, for the most part, as sugar contributes structure as
>> well as taste.

> True. And how many diabetics eat cake? I know I never do.

The diabetics I've seen with better control of their blood sugar
levels over on newsgroup alt.support.diabetes limit all products
made with starchy products such as flour, rice, potatoes, bread,
and corn, as well as sugar, but many of them don't totally
eliminate the starch or sugar.

Since I'm in assisted living, I dont have the option of totally
eliminating such products, even though I'm a diabetic.

However, I'm trying to arrange more trips to buffet restaurants
with a wide enough selection that I can avoid anything heavy
in either sugar or starch. Also, it helps that my local sister and
brother-in-law are currently trying a lowcarb diet, so visiting
them isn't a problem either.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I lived in a condo that went senior prefered..i had the option of being
bought out or staying..i chose to stay because i like older people as a
rule.

Anyhoo i loved it..lol...there was a guy who brought and sold veggies every
week...a grocery wagon twice a week..they had shuttles to the grocery store
daily..you bet when i hit retirement im going back..lol..ive since bought a
house with my wife..but even she loved it there the time we lived there.

We checked into others and they are all pretty much the same...so check and
see if yours has those options available...most even have home health aids
that will come and cook once a day for you as well as those who will clean
and do laundry etc..so if you take advantage of whats available its a very
pleasant existance.

KROM

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message

>>> That won't work, for the most part, as sugar contributes structure as
>>> well as taste.

>> True. And how many diabetics eat cake? I know I never do.

> The diabetics I've seen with better control of their blood sugar
> levels over on newsgroup alt.support.diabetes limit all products
> made with starchy products such as flour, rice, potatoes, bread,
> and corn, as well as sugar, but many of them don't totally
> eliminate the starch or sugar.
>
> Since I'm in assisted living, I dont have the option of totally
> eliminating such products, even though I'm a diabetic.
>
> However, I'm trying to arrange more trips to buffet restaurants
> with a wide enough selection that I can avoid anything heavy
> in either sugar or starch. Also, it helps that my local sister and
> brother-in-law are currently trying a lowcarb diet, so visiting
> them isn't a problem either.
>
> Robert

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

They have a shared kitchen where they make meals for all three
buildings here in this building, but the other two buildings have
kitchens where residents are allowed to cook. Nothing in particular
to let the residents buy food to cook, though.

They have at least one staff member in each building 24 hours a
day; they do the laundry for that building, among other things.

Apparantly intended for people likely to need more care than
people for which yours is appropriate.

"krom" > wrote in message
>I lived in a condo that went senior prefered..i had the option of being
>bought out or staying..i chose to stay because i like older people as a
>rule.
>
> Anyhoo i loved it..lol...there was a guy who brought and sold veggies
> every week...a grocery wagon twice a week..they had shuttles to the
> grocery store daily..you bet when i hit retirement im going back..lol..ive
> since bought a house with my wife..but even she loved it there the time we
> lived there.
>
> We checked into others and they are all pretty much the same...so check
> and see if yours has those options available...most even have home health
> aids that will come and cook once a day for you as well as those who will
> clean and do laundry etc..so if you take advantage of whats available its
> a very pleasant existance.
>
> KROM
>
> "Robert Miles" > wrote in message

>>> True. And how many diabetics eat cake? I know I never do.

>> The diabetics I've seen with better control of their blood sugar
>> levels over on newsgroup alt.support.diabetes limit all products
>> made with starchy products such as flour, rice, potatoes, bread,
>> and corn, as well as sugar, but many of them don't totally
>> eliminate the starch or sugar.
>>
>> Since I'm in assisted living, I dont have the option of totally
>> eliminating such products, even though I'm a diabetic.
>>
>> However, I'm trying to arrange more trips to buffet restaurants
>> with a wide enough selection that I can avoid anything heavy
>> in either sugar or starch. Also, it helps that my local sister and
>> brother-in-law are currently trying a lowcarb diet, so visiting
>> them isn't a problem either.
>>
>> Robert

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ahhh gotcha..i basically lived in a regular condo bldg with amenities..the
nice part about it was as each person left or was bought out the unit became
senior housing meaning they paid a third thier income to live there or up to
a certain amount..so we had a big mix of incomes and people.

The type of living you describe is more of a true care facility while mine
was just senior prefered housing.

KROM

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> They have a shared kitchen where they make meals for all three
> buildings here in this building, but the other two buildings have
> kitchens where residents are allowed to cook. Nothing in particular
> to let the residents buy food to cook, though.
>
> They have at least one staff member in each building 24 hours a
> day; they do the laundry for that building, among other things.
>
> Apparantly intended for people likely to need more care than
> people for which yours is appropriate.
>
> "krom" > wrote in message
>>I lived in a condo that went senior prefered..i had the option of being
>>bought out or staying..i chose to stay because i like older people as a
>>rule.
>>
>> Anyhoo i loved it..lol...there was a guy who brought and sold veggies
>> every week...a grocery wagon twice a week..they had shuttles to the
>> grocery store daily..you bet when i hit retirement im going
>> back..lol..ive since bought a house with my wife..but even she loved it
>> there the time we lived there.
>>
>> We checked into others and they are all pretty much the same...so check
>> and see if yours has those options available...most even have home health
>> aids that will come and cook once a day for you as well as those who will
>> clean and do laundry etc..so if you take advantage of whats available its
>> a very pleasant existance.
>>
>> KROM

>>> The diabetics I've seen with better control of their blood sugar
>>> levels over on newsgroup alt.support.diabetes limit all products
>>> made with starchy products such as flour, rice, potatoes, bread,
>>> and corn, as well as sugar, but many of them don't totally
>>> eliminate the starch or sugar.
>>>
>>> Since I'm in assisted living, I dont have the option of totally
>>> eliminating such products, even though I'm a diabetic.
>>>
>>> However, I'm trying to arrange more trips to buffet restaurants
>>> with a wide enough selection that I can avoid anything heavy
>>> in either sugar or starch. Also, it helps that my local sister and
>>> brother-in-law are currently trying a lowcarb diet, so visiting
>>> them isn't a problem either.
>>>
>>> Robert

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Willy" > wrote:
>
>> "Emma Chandler" > wrote in message
>> > Do any of you know if you can purchase a diabetic cake mix?
>> > Our Sunday School Class is making gift tins for shutins. I want to make
>> > cupcakes easily with a cake mix. Anyone know who stocks these?
>> >

>> Haven't seen such a thing, but if you don't mind making it from scratch,
>> you
>> can sub Splenda for the sugar and at least lower the carb count.
>>

> That won't work, for the most part, as sugar contributes structure as
> well as taste.
>
> --
> "[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
> This, apparently, upsets the fools."
> ---BB cuts to the pith of a flame-fest

Okay, let me rephrase that. You could use Splenda "blend", which is a blend
of sucralose and sugar... and it still lowers the total carb count while
admittedly using some sugar, so the end result is a decent cake.

And you can only have a very small serving, but I've done this with some
success. There's also reduced sugar canned icing on the market... just
showed up recently at our Wal Mart grocery stores.

even so, it will spike you big time if you eat what must of us might
consider a "normal" size serving.

Wes

Poll: Rainbow cake, jellybean cake, or tye dye cake? Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 7 29-05-2012 10:14 PM
Diabetic ? atec7 7[_2_] General Cooking 12 26-05-2010 07:36 PM
diabetic cake? Carrie Jacques Diabetic 12 07-03-2005 11:57 PM
Diabetic wedding cake? Lori Diabetic 3 03-02-2004 05:31 PM
Diabetic wedding cake? Lori Baking 8 08-01-2004 03:29 AM