Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Meat is not my friend.

I went mostly vegetarian many years ago when I noticed that meat was sitting
like lead in my stomach and I felt unwell after I ate it. I say mostly
because I still ate things like refried beans and Mexican rice which has
chicken broth in it. Heck I even drank chicken broth when I had respiratory
problems. I would even eat the vegetables that were roasted with the pot
roast that my mom made. Just not the meat.

Then when I moved out on my own, I realized that I couldn't afford meat and
only served it when I had company and then only some of the time. If they
liked lasagna, I would make that with no meat.

More recently I dabbled with a vegan diet after learning that I could not
longer eat eggs or dairy due to intolerances. But because of the
gastroparesis, I didn't do well with eating too many veggies or too much fat
such as olives from the olive bar. I was also suffering from slight anemia.

I started eating meat twice a week. And that seemed to be working for me.
Provided that I was careful what I ate. I also lost chicken, lamb and all
fish due to intolerances so that didn't leave me much. Mainly ground beef,
sometimes pot roast, turkey and sometimes bacon. But I do have to be very
careful and I can't eat too much at a time.

This last week I was trying to use up older food in the house and I wound up
eating a hamburger patty two days in a row. I also wound up having some
form of meat, even if only a small amount such as in chili, every single
day. And I paid for it. With stomach pains and just in general feeling
like crap.

So I started out this week with no meat whatever. And I feel fine now. I
just wish I could find some other forms of protein. Because now I am pretty
much down to beans, peas, some nuts and seeds. I will be trying some meat
(ground beef) again tomorrow.

It's just frustrating. I'm not eating anything abnormal and yet, the danged
stuff makes me sick. I am awaiting my new intolerance test results. I am
hoping I will have gotten some of the protein things back. Would be nice to
have some other options.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peanut butter. The old fashioned style, like Laura Scudders of Adams. Or you can do what I sometimes do and go to your local health food store and grind your own. It is a great protein provider and tasty too. Experiment with what you can add to it. Cinnamon is one of my faves. Mashed fruit is good a little sugary but makes up for it with vitamins. It goes great with celery of course. If you can afford your own grinder you might experiment with other nuts. I eat a lot of chicken and fish as I'm not a vegetarian. But beef is best taken in small quanitities. Good luck with your vegetarian diet. Although I've never tried it, I've thought about it often.

--
Posted by Mimo Usenet Browser v0.2.5
http://www.mimousenet.com/mimo/post

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Lucky" > wrote in message
> Peanut butter. The old fashioned style, like Laura Scudders of Adams. Or
> you can do what I sometimes do and go to your local health food store and
> grind your own. It is a great protein provider and tasty too. Experiment
> with what you can add to it. Cinnamon is one of my faves. Mashed fruit is
> good a little sugary but makes up for it with vitamins. It goes great with
> celery of course. If you can afford your own grinder you might experiment
> with other nuts. I eat a lot of chicken and fish as I'm not a vegetarian.
> But beef is best taken in small quanitities. Good luck with your
> vegetarian diet. Although I've never tried it, I've thought about it
> often.

---

I eat peanut butter occasionally but it is high in fat and doesn't work so
well for me. I have to limit nuts and seeds.