Member

Default Carbohydrate

I just wanna ask a question which Carbohydrate foods are good for diabetics and which are bad..??
Like brown rice are good for diabetics but white rice are not
Tacoma Personal Trainer

Last edited by riche : 04-10-2014 at 08:49 AM
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

riche > wrote:

: I just wanna ask a question which Carbohydrate foods are good for
: diabetics and which are bad..??
: Like brown rice are good for diabetics but white rice are not

: --
: riche
many of use have found after testing ourselves after eating manyof the
foods you listed(like brown rice) that our blood sugar goes up too much at
one adn two hours after eating. The same goes for many beans, although
some toelerate them well. Many of us have found tat we all vary, hence
the expression, YMMV or Your Mileage May Vary. Often doctors, diaticians
and scientic studying these things make far too broaad and general
statements about what works. list make it sound more uniform and easier
than it it.

I hope this helps.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/03/2014 02:56 AM, riche wrote:
> I just wanna ask a question which Carbohydrate foods are good for
> diabetics and which are bad..??
> Like brown rice are good for diabetics but white rice are not

Hi Riche,

There is no such thing as a "Healthy Carb". That is
marketing weasels trying to get you to buy stuff that
is bad for you. (I believed the "Healthy Carb"
nonsense and that is what injured me.)

There is no difference to your body with white or brown.
It is all a bag of sugar to your body.

You have to watch your carb count.

Now, if you ask can I just eat "a little" rice/wheat/corn/
potato/beans as long as I keep my carb count down, the answer
is "no" (maybe a little after you heal and you are really
careful). They are the same a consuming straight sugar.
And they will be absorbed just as rapidly, giving you a
blood sugar spike. It is the spikes that cause all the
inflammation to your body.

Basically, there are no good carbohydrates. You just have to
learn to count them.

Find yourself a good carb counting site. Here is one I
like:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Pay special attention to Glycemic Load. (It is on the bottom
of the site.)

Just a personal note: when I first started on drug free, I
was afraid that I could not find anything to eat and
that I would go hungry. Never happened. You just have
to learn how. It is pretty easy. And, I have never eaten so
well in my life! "Still hungry? Eat another sausage!"

And the human body prefers to burn (natural, not chemistry set)
fat. You will have more energy that you need. (Excess fat gets
blown and peed off as ketones. It is use or lose. To get
fat required insulin and carbs.)

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 12:59:36 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, Todd
> wrote:

>And the human body prefers to burn (natural, not chemistry set)
>fat. You will have more energy that you need. (Excess fat gets
>blown and peed off as ketones. It is use or lose. To get
>fat required insulin and carbs.)

Or sticks to the walls of your arteries......
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"riche" > wrote in message

> I just wanna ask a question which Carbohydrate foods are good for
> diabetics and which are bad..??
> Like brown rice are good for diabetics but white rice are not

Not necessarily. Although it is better for us to eat things with more
fiber, there is no one answer for this. It would be nice if there was a
clear cut list but there is not. Use your meter. Every body is different.
I can eat white rice with no problem. You might not be able to. Or you
might. Or it might just be a matter of how much. Maybe you can eat two
bites with no problem. Maybe you will decide that isn't enough food for you
so you'll decide not to eat it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 10/03/2014 02:56 AM, riche wrote:
>> I just wanna ask a question which Carbohydrate foods are good for
>> diabetics and which are bad..??
>> Like brown rice are good for diabetics but white rice are not

> Hi Riche,
>
> There is no such thing as a "Healthy Carb". That is
> marketing weasels trying to get you to buy stuff that
> is bad for you. (I believed the "Healthy Carb"
> nonsense and that is what injured me.)

Nonsense Todd. Green beans and broccoli have carbs. Are you trying to say
those are bad? If one eats only meat and fat, then one will die pretty
quickly from malnutrition.

> There is no difference to your body with white or brown.
> It is all a bag of sugar to your body.

Not true again. And eating carbs along with protein and fat is the best way
to go. Eat carbs by themselves if you have low blood sugar and need to
raise it quickly.

> You have to watch your carb count.

True but very vague. See a dietician and get some sort of starting point.
He or she might tell you to eat 30 g of carb for breakfast, 45 g for lunch
and another 45 g for dinner. You may be told to eat snacks. Try what they
say for a week. Use your meter and see how it goes. If you are getting
good numbers? Great! What are good numbers? Again, this varies from
person to person. Ask your Dr. or diabetes educator what your numbers
should be. My range is 90-130 but again, every body is different.

If your numbers are too high? Try eating fewer carbs. Or you might need to
be on medication. Or if you are on medication, you might need more.

> Now, if you ask can I just eat "a little" rice/wheat/corn/
> potato/beans as long as I keep my carb count down, the answer
> is "no" (maybe a little after you heal and you are really
> careful). They are the same a consuming straight sugar.
> And they will be absorbed just as rapidly, giving you a
> blood sugar spike. It is the spikes that cause all the
> inflammation to your body.

Again, Todd is painted a very wrong picture. This might be what works for
him but there are over 300 variants to diabetes, even though we all tend to
get lumped into type 1 or type 2. Use your meter and experiment with what
you eat. You might find that there are some foods you can never eat. For
me that would be lentils. Lentils spike my blood sugar. But I would never
tell *you* not to eat them because they work very well for many diabetics.
You have to try things and see what works for you.

> Basically, there are no good carbohydrates. You just have to
> learn to count them.

Nonsense!

> Find yourself a good carb counting site. Here is one I
> like:
>
> http://nutritiondata.self.com/
>
> Pay special attention to Glycemic Load. (It is on the bottom
> of the site.)

Again, nonsense. The Glycemic Index is badly flawed. It was done on young
people who did not have diabetes. And once you start combining foods as you
would in a meal, it all flies out the window.

> Just a personal note: when I first started on drug free, I
> was afraid that I could not find anything to eat and
> that I would go hungry. Never happened. You just have
> to learn how. It is pretty easy. And, I have never eaten so
> well in my life! "Still hungry? Eat another sausage!"

Again, not necessarily good advice. If I were to eat sausage, I would be
very ill. We're all different.

> And the human body prefers to burn (natural, not chemistry set)
> fat. You will have more energy that you need. (Excess fat gets
> blown and peed off as ketones. It is use or lose. To get
> fat required insulin and carbs.)
>
> -T

I don't think this is right either.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 12:59:36 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, Todd
> > wrote:
>
>>And the human body prefers to burn (natural, not chemistry set)
>>fat. You will have more energy that you need. (Excess fat gets
>>blown and peed off as ketones. It is use or lose. To get
>>fat required insulin and carbs.)

> Or sticks to the walls of your arteries......

Yes. I guess one good thing about us being in Todd's killfile is that he
can't see us telling people not to listen to him!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 15:43:55 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Karen" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 12:59:36 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, Todd
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>And the human body prefers to burn (natural, not chemistry set)
>>>fat. You will have more energy that you need. (Excess fat gets
>>>blown and peed off as ketones. It is use or lose. To get
>>>fat required insulin and carbs.)

>> Or sticks to the walls of your arteries......

>Yes. I guess one good thing about us being in Todd's killfile is that he
>can't see us people not to listen to him!

He can if someone else who isn't killfiled replies to you and leaves
your message in that reply. I've been hoping someone would do that,
so that he gets to see it anyway. ;-)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 15:43:55 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Karen" > wrote in message
>>news
>>> On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 12:59:36 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, Todd

>>> Or sticks to the walls of your arteries......

>>Yes. I guess one good thing about us being in Todd's killfile is that he
>>can't see us people not to listen to him!

> He can if someone else who isn't killfiled replies to you and leaves
> your message in that reply. I've been hoping someone would do that,
> so that he gets to see it anyway. ;-)

That's what I am hoping too. And he is still over on alt.home.repair saying
horrible things about me. What a piece of work!