Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Diabetic Cookbook

I just got one for my birthday. Put out by the American Heart Association.
Says it is for Diabetes and Heart Healthy.

I won't repost the whole thing but here is a sample breakfast menu:

1 serving Apricot and Apple Granola
1 Whole Grain English Muffin with teaspoon of tub margarine
1 cup Orange juice

Say what? I can't see how a meal like that would be good for anyone, much
less a diabetic!

The sample menus are all based on over 2,000 calories per day. I can't even
eat half of that. And certainly not that many carbs.

The recipes do give carb counts and there are actually a few that are low
carb or fairly low carb but some seem to me to have unnecessary carbs. Like
some kind of fish with orange salsa. Now I don't eat low carb but I sure am
not going to waste the carbs that I do eat on something like an orange!
Yeah, I know some people like oranges. I'm not one of them.

There are actually a few recipes in there that I would eat. I say would
because I can't. 61 grams of carb per serving? Count me out.

The person who gifted me with this is not a diabetic. I just feel bad about
it. This isn't the first such book I've been given. I'm sure that the
people who buy these books think they are doing a good thing. But I feel
they are being taken advantage of.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I just got one for my birthday. Put out by the American Heart Association.
>Says it is for Diabetes and Heart Healthy.
>
> I won't repost the whole thing but here is a sample breakfast menu:
>
> 1 serving Apricot and Apple Granola
> 1 Whole Grain English Muffin with teaspoon of tub margarine
> 1 cup Orange juice
>
> Say what? I can't see how a meal like that would be good for anyone, much
> less a diabetic!
>
> The sample menus are all based on over 2,000 calories per day. I can't
> even eat half of that. And certainly not that many carbs.
>
> The recipes do give carb counts and there are actually a few that are low
> carb or fairly low carb but some seem to me to have unnecessary carbs.
> Like some kind of fish with orange salsa. Now I don't eat low carb but I
> sure am not going to waste the carbs that I do eat on something like an
> orange! Yeah, I know some people like oranges. I'm not one of them.
>
> There are actually a few recipes in there that I would eat. I say would
> because I can't. 61 grams of carb per serving? Count me out.
>
> The person who gifted me with this is not a diabetic. I just feel bad
> about it. This isn't the first such book I've been given. I'm sure that
> the people who buy these books think they are doing a good thing. But I
> feel they are being taken advantage of.

Sounds about par for the course. I find those books to be totally worthless.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I just got one for my birthday. Put out by the American Heart
>>Association. Says it is for Diabetes and Heart Healthy.
>>
>> I won't repost the whole thing but here is a sample breakfast menu:
>>
>> 1 serving Apricot and Apple Granola
>> 1 Whole Grain English Muffin with teaspoon of tub margarine
>> 1 cup Orange juice
>>
>> Say what? I can't see how a meal like that would be good for anyone,
>> much less a diabetic!
>>
>> The sample menus are all based on over 2,000 calories per day. I can't
>> even eat half of that. And certainly not that many carbs.
>>
>> The recipes do give carb counts and there are actually a few that are low
>> carb or fairly low carb but some seem to me to have unnecessary carbs.
>> Like some kind of fish with orange salsa. Now I don't eat low carb but I
>> sure am not going to waste the carbs that I do eat on something like an
>> orange! Yeah, I know some people like oranges. I'm not one of them.
>>
>> There are actually a few recipes in there that I would eat. I say would
>> because I can't. 61 grams of carb per serving? Count me out.
>>
>> The person who gifted me with this is not a diabetic. I just feel bad
>> about it. This isn't the first such book I've been given. I'm sure that
>> the people who buy these books think they are doing a good thing. But I
>> feel they are being taken advantage of.

> Sounds about par for the course. I find those books to be totally
> worthless.

Yes.

Member

Diabetic patients need to be very cautious about what they consume on a daily basis. Consulting a physician is always the best approach to get the right diet for a diabetic patient. You can visit Home Health Care | Best Physiotherapist in Delhi | Home Nursing Plans to avail the services of a physician at home.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 23:37:24 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

> I won't repost the whole thing but here is a sample breakfast menu:
>
> 1 serving Apricot and Apple Granola 1 Whole Grain English Muffin with
> teaspoon of tub margarine 1 cup Orange juice

If I even thought about eating that meal, my BGL would be up around 300.

I normally have 1/2 C. egg beaters with 1 egg, a meat (right now we are
hooked on the polish kielbasa), a biscuit with margerine and SF jam, and
coffee with splenda and 1/2 & 1/2. Sometimes we will have a quesadilla,
or I will fix roasted potatoes with cheese instead of the biscuits.

--
Cindi

I'm just a crazy T2 blonde.