Jane Smith

Default Excerpt: Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic Cookbook

Excerpt
The following is an excerpt from the book Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic
Cookbook: Slow Cooker Favorites -- to include Everyone!
by Phyllis Pellman Good with American Diabetes Association
Published by Good Books; January 2005; $15.95US; 1-56148-459-8
Copyright © 2005 Good Books, Intercourse, PA 17534

Mile-High Shredded Beef Sandwiches
Miriam Christophel
Battle Creek, MI
Mary Seielstad
Sparks, NV

Makes 8 servings
(Ideal slow cooker size: 4-quart)

3 lb. chuck roast, or round steak, trimmed of fat
2 Tbsp. oil
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup sliced celery
2 cups lower-sodium, 98%-fat-free beef broth
1 garlic clove
3/4 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. chili powder
3 drops Tabasco sauce
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1. In skillet brown both sides of meat in oil. Add onions and celery and
sauté briefly. Transfer to slow cooker. Add broth.
2. Cover. Cook on Low 6-8 hours, or until tender. Remove meat from cooker
and cool. Shred beef.
3. Remove vegetables from cooker and drain, reserving 11/2 cups broth.
Combine vegetables and meat.
4. Return shredded meat and vegetables to cooker. Add broth and remaining
ingredients and combine well.
5. Cover. Cook on High 1 hour. Remove bay leaf.
6. Pile into 8 sandwich rolls and serve.

Exchange List Values: Carbohydrate 1.0, Meat, lean 3.0

Basic Nutritional Values: Calories 239 (Calories from Fat 88), Total Fat 10
gm (Saturated Fat 2.4 gm, Polyunsat Fat 1.3 gm, Monounsat Fat 4.6 gm,
Cholesterol 73 mg), Sodium 444 mg, Total Carbohydrate 12 gm, Dietary Fiber 1
gm, Sugars 8 gm, Protein 25 gm

-------------------------------

Ann's Boston Baked Beans
Ann Driscoll
Albuquerque, MN

Makes 20 side dish servings
(Ideal slow cooker size: 4-5-quart)

1 cup raisins
2 small onions, diced
2 tart apples, unpeeled, diced
1 cup chili sauce
1 cup chopped extra-lean, reduced-sodium ham
1 lb. 15-oz. can baked beans
2 141/2-oz. cans baked beans, no-added-salt
3 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 cup sweet pickle relish

1. Mix together all ingredients.
2. Cover. Cook on Low 6-8 hours.

Exchange List Values: Starch 1.0, Fruit 0.5, Carbohydrate 0.5

Basic Nutritional Values: Calories 148 (Calories from Fat 6), Total Fat 1 gm
(Saturated Fat 0.1 gm, Polyunsat Fat 0.2 gm, Monounsat Fat 0.1 gm,
Cholesterol 3 mg), Sodium 443 mg, Total Carbohydrate 32 gm, Dietary Fiber 6
gm, Sugars 16 gm, Protein 6 gm

------------------------------

Seven Layer Bars
Mary W. Stauffer
Ephrata, PA

Makes 18 servings
(Ideal slow cooker size: 4-5-quart)

2 Tbsp. light, soft tub margarine, melted
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup chocolate chips
2 Tbsp. butterscotch chips
1/4 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk

1. Layer ingredients in a bread or cake pan that fits in your slow cooker,
in the order listed. Do not stir.
2. Cover and bake on High 2-3 hours, or until firm. Remove pan and uncover.
Let stand 5 minutes.
3. Unmold carefully on plate and cool.

Exchange List Values: Carbohydrate 0.5, Fat 1.0

Basic Nutritional Values: Calories 87 (Calories from Fat 42), Total Fat 5 gm
(Saturated Fat 1.4 gm, Polyunsat Fat 0.9 gm, Monounsat Fat 2.3 gm,
Cholesterol 0 mg), Sodium 37 mg, Total Carbohydrate 11 gm, Dietary Fiber 1
gm, Sugars 9 gm, Protein 1 gm

Copyright © 2005 Good Books, Intercourse, PA 17534

Reprinted from Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic Cookbook: Slow Cooker
Favorites -- to include Everyone!. Copyright by Good Books
(www.goodbks.com). Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Jane Smith wrote on 27 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Excerpt
> The following is an excerpt from the book Fix-It and Forget-It
> Diabetic Cookbook: Slow Cooker Favorites -- to include Everyone!
> by Phyllis Pellman Good with American Diabetes Association
> Published by Good Books; January 2005; $15.95US; 1-56148-459-8
> Copyright © 2005 Good Books, Intercourse, PA 17534

All the recipes stated have way too many carbs.......at least for a
type 2.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Damsel

"Jane Smith" > said:

> Excerpt
> The following is an excerpt from the book Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic
> Cookbook: Slow Cooker Favorites -- to include Everyone!
> by Phyllis Pellman Good with American Diabetes Association
> Published by Good Books; January 2005; $15.95US; 1-56148-459-8
> Copyright © 2005 Good Books, Intercourse, PA 17534

Thanks for posting this. I'll probably try the beef sandwich recipe.
Looks pretty good.

But the other two recipes are the main reason I'm thankful for the preview.
They're both pretty inappropriate for diabetics. I think I'll pass on
purchasing this one.

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Siobhan Perricone

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:55:30 GMT, Monsur Fromage du Pollet
> wrote:

>Jane Smith wrote on 27 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Excerpt
>> The following is an excerpt from the book Fix-It and Forget-It
>> Diabetic Cookbook: Slow Cooker Favorites -- to include Everyone!
>> by Phyllis Pellman Good with American Diabetes Association
>> Published by Good Books; January 2005; $15.95US; 1-56148-459-8
>> Copyright © 2005 Good Books, Intercourse, PA 17534
>>

>All the recipes stated have way too many carbs.......at least for a
>type 2.

Are you looking at the same nutritional report I am?

Meat recipe:
Basic Nutritional Values: Total Carbohydrate 12 gm, Dietary Fiber 1 gm

11 impact carbs is way too much for a type 2?? Since when? I'm able to eat
up to like 40-50 carbs for dinner and not have a significant problem with
my BG. Of course everyone gets hit by different foods differently, but I
don't know in what world 11 carbs counts as "too much" for all type 2s.

This one for the beans:
Basic Nutritional Values: Total Carbohydrate 32 gm, Dietary Fiber 6 gm

Now that I can see is being a lot for a side dish (net 26 carbs), but if
you're not having any other carbs with the meal, then it's still manageable
for a lot of people. Beans is something that don't hit me hard at all for
some reason, so I could probably get away with more of them, if I wanted.
Though with this recipe there's a lot of unnecessary carbage. I just like
my beans mostly plain, not masked by a bunch of sweet gunk (like apples,
relish).

Now this one for the seven layer bars:
Basic Nutritional Values: Total Carbohydrate 11 gm, Dietary Fiber 1 gm

I don't even believe. I'd have to do the math on it myself (something I'm
not inclined to do just for this post , and I'm willing to bet that
1/18th of this recipe is a damn miniscule amount. But if it IS right, and
one serving is only 10 net carbs, that's a reasonable amount of carbs for
an occasional treat.

As long as you didn't eat all of these things together in one meal they
seem manageable to me. However, I'm always wary of anything that the
American Diabetes Association puts out because they're still touting that
damn high carb diet. I can't BELIEVE the recipes they recommend. So no, I
still wouldn't buy this book. I'm gonna stick to steak, salad, and refried
beans, thank you very much.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair; then I
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Siobhan Perricone wrote on 29 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Are you looking at the same nutritional report I am?

Yes I am....it is a joke right? You can't believe it?

As for too many carbs...I've always been a 2 bun eater...2 hamburgers
or 2 bun sandwiches plus sides for supper. I am trying hard to keep my
BG spikes under 7.8 without Meds. And that means staying under 20
carbs a meal.

It is worth staying that low to me, to help me stay reasonably drug
free.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Siobhan Perricone

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:43:25 GMT, Monsur Fromage du Pollet
> wrote:

>Siobhan Perricone wrote on 29 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Are you looking at the same nutritional report I am?
>>

>Yes I am....it is a joke right? You can't believe it?

I can't believe what? What the nutritional report says? Given the smallness
of the portions I could believe it. That's the trick those damn ADA recipes
use. They make these high carb foods then portion them out into tiny
portions that NO one would be satisfied with then claim they're low carb.

I was just saying if the nutritional info on those first two recipes was
right, they weren't *that* bad.

>As for too many carbs...I've always been a 2 bun eater

Oh I've pretty much given up on bread. I mostly just eat just meats.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair; then I
thought, 'Wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the
terrible things that happened to us come because we actually deserved
them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."
- Marcus, Babylon 5, "A Late Delivery from Avalon"
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Siobhan Perricone wrote on 29 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:43:25 GMT, Monsur Fromage du Pollet
> > wrote:
>
> >Siobhan Perricone wrote on 29 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking
> >
> >> Are you looking at the same nutritional report I am?
> >>

> >Yes I am....it is a joke right? You can't believe it?

> I can't believe what? What the nutritional report says? Given the
> smallness of the portions I could believe it. That's the trick
> those damn ADA recipes use. They make these high carb foods then
> portion them out into tiny portions that NO one would be satisfied
> with then claim they're low carb.
>
> I was just saying if the nutritional info on those first two
> recipes was right, they weren't *that* bad.
>
> >As for too many carbs...I've always been a 2 bun eater

> Oh I've pretty much given up on bread. I mostly just eat just
> meats.

That's the rub...Why cook 17 items just to eat 3 dinners. I'm a big
eater...So are most of the Diabetics I know. Seems more easy just to do
the low carb meat and veggie type meal deal and satisfy your hunger
than fart around with eating 16 meals a day of more carbish items.

Things like cabbage casserole or roast chicken with a salad seem to
meet my needs better. And all the usual low carb veggies of course. BBQ
season used to be hard on me...due to the carbs in BBQ sauce...but now
I have a low carb sauce recipe and also use low carb homemade/store
bought vinegrettes on the grilled veggies...

I have better ways to spend my carbs...like grape tomatoes and onions.

Why does the ADA mess about like this...they seem to want you to eat
heart smart...not diabetic smart.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Siobhan Perricone

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:48:03 GMT, Monsur Fromage du Pollet
> wrote:

>I have better ways to spend my carbs...like grape tomatoes and onions.
>
>Why does the ADA mess about like this...they seem to want you to eat
>heart smart...not diabetic smart.

Yeah, that's what they want, really. Heart disease is the number one
complication Diabetics have. The thing is, if instead of touting this high
carb diet they pushed harder on exercise (just walking after every meal is
usually enough), an awful lot of type 2s would be under control without
meds for longer times and their cholesterol would be lower and their heart
health better.