Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Diabetic Cookbook

I just got one for my birthday. Put out by the American Heart Association.
Says it is for Diabetes and Heart Healthy.

I won't repost the whole thing but here is a sample breakfast menu:

1 serving Apricot and Apple Granola
1 Whole Grain English Muffin with teaspoon of tub margarine
1 cup Orange juice

Say what? I can't see how a meal like that would be good for anyone, much
less a diabetic!

The sample menus are all based on over 2,000 calories per day. I can't even
eat half of that. And certainly not that many carbs.

The recipes do give carb counts and there are actually a few that are low
carb or fairly low carb but some seem to me to have unnecessary carbs. Like
some kind of fish with orange salsa. Now I don't eat low carb but I sure am
not going to waste the carbs that I do eat on something like an orange!
Yeah, I know some people like oranges. I'm not one of them.

There are actually a few recipes in there that I would eat. I say would
because I can't. 61 grams of carb per serving? Count me out.

The person who gifted me with this is not a diabetic. I just feel bad about
it. This isn't the first such book I've been given. I'm sure that the
people who buy these books think they are doing a good thing. But I feel
they are being taken advantage of.