Old 23-10-2013, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.food.diabetic

Default poblano to ancho question

In article , Todd
wrote:

On 10/17/2013 11:46 PM, Billy wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:

On 09/26/2013 01:13 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Todd wrote:

Do Poblano chilies turn red (Ancho) on the vine,
or do you have to pick them first?

If you leave them on the vine to turn red, how long
does it typically take? Three weeks?

Peppers do not ripen further once picked. There are many variables
that determine how long peppers require to achieve a particular degree
of ripeness. Not knowing in what climate you are in all I can say is
if you live where freezing weather occurs be sure to harvest your
peppers prior to the first light frost regardless how ripe or they
will likely be ruined.

Thank you. And it just froze last night. I have
to go check the damage. :'(

There should be chili beans in your future.

CHILI BEANS

2 c. dry beans
6 c. water
2 c. red chili sauce
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 lb. ground beef

Wash beans and boil in water for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and
let stand for 1 hour or longer. Cook beans 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending
on kind, until tender.
Simmer the chili sauce with the spices, onion and garlic. Cover for 15
minutes. Brown meat while chili sauce is cooking. Gently mix drained
beans, chili sauce and meat. Broil gently for a few minutes longer.
Makes 6-8 servings.

Red Chili Sauce

4 dried ancho or fresh pasilla chilies, or 3 tbsp. chili powder, or 1
tsp. crushed red pepper
4 med. tomatoes (1 1/2 lbs.) or 1 (15 oz.) can tomato puree
1 med. onion, cut up
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. sugar
1 tbsp. cooking oil

Cut chilies open. Discard stems and seeds. Cut chilies into small pieces
with scissors or a knife. Place in bowl; cover with boiling water. Let
stand 45 to 60 minutes. Drain.
To peel tomatoes, dip them in boiling water for 30 seconds; plunge into
cold water. Slip skins off. Quarter tomatoes. Place in blender
container; cover and blend until nearly smooth. Measure 2 cups of the
blended tomatoes; return to blender container (or place canned tomato
puree in blender container). Add the drained chilies or chili powder or
crushed red pepper. Add onion, garlic, salt and sugar; cover and blend
until smooth.
In 1 1/2 quart saucepan combine tomato mixture and cooking oil. Cook and
stir over medium heat about 10 minutes or until sauce is slightly
thickened. Makes 2 cups.

Hi Billy,

Awesome directions! Thank you!

You do know I am diabetic? We correspond over on alt.food.diabetic
frequently.

Do you have a Diabetic/Paleo substitute for the beans? How
about two pounds of ground beef/roast?

What Red Peppers would you use? Ancho? Chimayo? Cayenne?

And, what would you substitute for the Cumin, which my wife
is allergic to (can't use Chili powder for the same reason)?

You are the man! Thank you!

What a minute, one one clove of Garlic?!?!?! :-)

-T

No substitutes. Yes I have diabetes, and arteriosclerosis. My excitement
is waiting to see which one gets me first. If you are T2, exercise to a
sweat before you eat. That should help.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Old 24-10-2013, 04:58 AM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_8_] View Post

Todd wrote:

[...]

Israel military detains 5-year-old Palestinian for 'stone throwing' - YouTube

Remember Rachel Corrie
Rachel Corrie Memorial Website

Welcome to the New America.
Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism - YouTube
That sound purty kinky. Get a grip here thanks.