Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ancho chiles/Enchiladas

I have not used these in a long, long time. These aren't *that* hot, right?
(I am also using a minced fresh poblano. I think it is my favorite chile
pepper!) I am making enchiladas later, and I am using them for the sauce.
(koko's recently posted recipe)

Ellie likes spicy things, but not things that are really spicy. Will the
cooking gods hate me if I end up adding some tomatoes to make it milder if
it ends up spicier than she'll like?

--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:27:44 GMT, Saerah Gray >
wrote:

>I have not used these in a long, long time. These aren't *that* hot, right?
>(I am also using a minced fresh poblano. I think it is my favorite chile
>pepper!) I am making enchiladas later, and I am using them for the sauce.
>(koko's recently posted recipe)
>
>Ellie likes spicy things, but not things that are really spicy. Will the
>cooking gods hate me if I end up adding some tomatoes to make it milder if
>it ends up spicier than she'll like?

The ancho chili is a dried poblano and is a mild chili.
http://www.foodsubs.com/Chiledry.html

I've heard of tomato products being used in enchilada sauce and as far
as I know everyone's lived to tell about it. ;-)

Please give Ellie a big hug and kiss from me.
Maybe her leotard fell behind the dresser.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 9/26
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Saerah Gray > wrote:

>I have not used these in a long, long time. These aren't *that* hot, right?
>(I am also using a minced fresh poblano. I think it is my favorite chile
>pepper!) I am making enchiladas later, and I am using them for the sauce.
>(koko's recently posted recipe)

>Ellie likes spicy things, but not things that are really spicy. Will the
>cooking gods hate me if I end up adding some tomatoes to make it milder if
>it ends up spicier than she'll like?

Anchos are milder than (almost any) New Mexico chili, so yes you will
end up with a mild enchilada sauce.

I don't think there's much wrong with adding a fraction of
tomato or tomato product to an enchilada sauce, so long as it
does not dominate.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko > fnord
:

> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:27:44 GMT, Saerah Gray >
> wrote:
>

>>I have not used these in a long, long time. These aren't *that* hot,
>>right? (I am also using a minced fresh poblano. I think it is my
>>favorite chile pepper!) I am making enchiladas later, and I am using
>>them for the sauce. (koko's recently posted recipe)
>>
>>Ellie likes spicy things, but not things that are really spicy. Will
>>the cooking gods hate me if I end up adding some tomatoes to make it
>>milder if it ends up spicier than she'll like?

> The ancho chili is a dried poblano and is a mild chili.
> http://www.foodsubs.com/Chiledry.html

Yeah, I knew it was a dried poblano; I just ddidn't know how spicy the
dried ones were (dumb, I know)

> I've heard of tomato products being used in enchilada sauce and as far
> as I know everyone's lived to tell about it. ;-)

The sauce is made. It is tres awesome (I ended up using a can of
tomatoes, but that made it a red sauce instead of a brown one :>)

> Please give Ellie a big hug and kiss from me.
> Maybe her leotard fell behind the dresser.

I still couldn't find it. Oh well, now she has a pink one. She's happy

--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Saerah Gray" > wrote in message
50...

> I have not used these in a long, long time. These aren't *that* hot,
> right?
> (I am also using a minced fresh poblano. I think it is my favorite chile
> pepper!) I am making enchiladas later, and I am using them for the sauce.
> (koko's recently posted recipe)
>
> Ellie likes spicy things, but not things that are really spicy. Will the
> cooking gods hate me if I end up adding some tomatoes to make it milder if
> it ends up spicier than she'll like?

Anchos have almost no heat at all, quite sweet actually. You'll find many
paprikas and chili powders have more spice than an ancho. They'll add a
whole lot of flavor but no spice. You can always make a half batch of
enchiladas with jalapenos or chipotles if you prefer something hotter.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"koko" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:27:44 GMT, Saerah Gray >
> wrote:
>

>>I have not used these in a long, long time. These aren't *that* hot,
>>right?
>>(I am also using a minced fresh poblano. I think it is my favorite chile
>>pepper!) I am making enchiladas later, and I am using them for the sauce.
>>(koko's recently posted recipe)
>>
>>Ellie likes spicy things, but not things that are really spicy. Will the
>>cooking gods hate me if I end up adding some tomatoes to make it milder if
>>it ends up spicier than she'll like?

> The ancho chili is a dried poblano and is a mild chili.
> http://www.foodsubs.com/Chiledry.html
>
> I've heard of tomato products being used in enchilada sauce and as far
> as I know everyone's lived to tell about it. ;-)
>
> Please give Ellie a big hug and kiss from me.
> Maybe her leotard fell behind the dresser.
>
> koko
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> George Bernard Shaw
> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 9/26

Here is the actual scolville scale

You can see where the Ancho and Poblano range.

Dimitri

pepper Type Heat rating (in Scoville heat
units)
Habanero 200,000-300,000
Red Amazon 75,000
Pequin 75,000
Chiltecepin 70,000-75,000
Tabasco 30,00-50,000
Cayenne 35,000
Arbol 25,000
Japone 25,000
Smoked Jalepeno (Chipotle) 10,000
Serrano 7,000-25,000
Puya 5,000
Guajillo 5,000
Jalepeno 3,500-4,500
Poblano 2,500-3,000
Pasilla 2,500
TAM Mild Jalepeno- 11,000-1,500
Anaheim 1,000-1,400
New Mexican 1,000
Ancho 1,000
Bell & Pimento 0

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:27:44 GMT, Saerah Gray >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I have not used these in a long, long time. These aren't *that* hot,
>>>right? (I am also using a minced fresh poblano. I think it is my
>>>favorite chile pepper!) I am making enchiladas later, and I am using
>>>them for the sauce. (koko's recently posted recipe)
>>>
>>>Ellie likes spicy things, but not things that are really spicy. Will
>>>the cooking gods hate me if I end up adding some tomatoes to make it
>>>milder if it ends up spicier than she'll like?

>> The ancho chili is a dried poblano and is a mild chili.
>> http://www.foodsubs.com/Chiledry.html
>>

>Yeah, I knew it was a dried poblano; I just ddidn't know how spicy the
>dried ones were (dumb, I know)

No, not in the least. I thought they were mild but I still had to look
it up. You got me wondering if I remembered right.

>> I've heard of tomato products being used in enchilada sauce and as far
>> as I know everyone's lived to tell about it. ;-)
>>

>The sauce is made. It is tres awesome (I ended up using a can of
>tomatoes, but that made it a red sauce instead of a brown one :>)

Great as long as it was tasty, that's all that matters.

>> Please give Ellie a big hug and kiss from me.
>> Maybe her leotard fell behind the dresser.

>I still couldn't find it. Oh well, now she has a pink one. She's happy

Oh, how you bring back memories of when I was raising my daughter
alone.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 9/26
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 19:56:06 GMT, Saerah Gray >
wrote:

(Steve Pope) fnord
:

>> Saerah Gray > wrote:
>>
>>>I have not used these in a long, long time. These aren't *that* hot,
>>>right? (I am also using a minced fresh poblano. I think it is my
>>>favorite chile pepper!) I am making enchiladas later, and I am using
>>>them for the sauce. (koko's recently posted recipe)

>>>Ellie likes spicy things, but not things that are really spicy. Will
>>>the cooking gods hate me if I end up adding some tomatoes to make it
>>>milder if it ends up spicier than she'll like?

>> Anchos are milder than (almost any) New Mexico chili, so yes you will
>> end up with a mild enchilada sauce.
>>

>I have some dried guajillos, too, but I'm saving them for something
>else. (chocolate mole, whenever I get around to it.)
>
>The things you can find at Aldi are often surprising!
>
>> I don't think there's much wrong with adding a fraction of
>> tomato or tomato product to an enchilada sauce, so long as it
>> does not dominate.
>>

>Yeah, I have used the bottled stuff, and it is way too "spicy tomato
>sauce" for my tastes.
>
>When I make things from scratch for the first time, I like them to be
>"authentic", or at least close to it.

Here's a thread on enchiladas from 6 years ago that authenticity comes
up in. I made enchiladas a few weeks ago and googled the group. I
used bits and pieces from a few of the recipes and was very pleased
with the results. I did use tomatoes.

http://tinyurl.com/4vj4fw

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:30:46 -0700, Dimitri wrote:

> Here is the actual scolville scale
>
> You can see where the Ancho and Poblano range.
>
> Dimitri
>
> pepper Type Heat rating (in Scoville heat
> units)

> Smoked Jalepeno (Chipotle) 10,000

> Jalepeno 3,500-4,500

i wonder why smoking would double or almost triple the scoville units?
shrinkage? i don't recall seeing dried jalapeños other than chipotles.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:30:46 -0700, Dimitri wrote:
>>
>> Here is the actual scolville scale
>>
>> You can see where the Ancho and Poblano range.
>>
>> Dimitri
>>
>> pepper Type Heat rating (in Scoville
>> heat
>> units)

>> Smoked Jalepeno (Chipotle) 10,000

>> Jalepeno 3,500-4,500

> i wonder why smoking would double or almost triple the scoville units?
> shrinkage? i don't recall seeing dried jalapeños other than chipotles.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I was looking at that myself - I suppose the scoville units are a ratio of
capsicum to the flesh. I believe the smoking process reduces the amount of
"flesh" by removing moisture there be increasing the scoville ratio.

I would think that's how it works.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:30:46 -0700, Dimitri wrote:
> >
> > Here is the actual scolville scale
> >
> > You can see where the Ancho and Poblano range.
> >
> > Dimitri
> >
> > pepper Type Heat rating (in Scoville
> > heat
> > units)

> > Smoked Jalepeno (Chipotle) 10,000

> > Jalepeno 3,500-4,500

> i wonder why smoking would double or almost triple the scoville units?
> shrinkage? i don't recall seeing dried jalapeños other than chipotles.

Penzeys sells dried, crushed jalepeno:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...sjalapeno.html

They claim a heat level of 55,000.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:30:46 -0700, Dimitri wrote:
>>>
>>> Here is the actual scolville scale
>>>
>>> You can see where the Ancho and Poblano range.
>>>
>>> Dimitri
>>>
>>> pepper Type Heat rating (in Scoville
>>> heat
>>> units)

>>> Smoked Jalepeno (Chipotle) 10,000

>>> Jalepeno
>>> 3,500-4,500

>> i wonder why smoking would double or almost triple the scoville units?
>> shrinkage? i don't recall seeing dried jalapeños other than chipotles.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> I was looking at that myself - I suppose the scoville units are a ratio of
> capsicum to the flesh. I believe the smoking process reduces the amount
> of "flesh" by removing moisture there be increasing the scoville ratio.
>
> I would think that's how it works.
>
> Dimitri

It concentrates the heat in the pepper.
Heat also seems to make peppers get hotter.
I smoked some Habaneros last fall and they were blazing hot.. I added a
smoked Habby to a jar of canned smoked salmon and pressure cooked it.
the Habby put a hurting on my guts the next morning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > fnord
:

> "Saerah Gray" > wrote in message
> 50...
>>
>> I have not used these in a long, long time. These aren't *that* hot,
>> right?
>> (I am also using a minced fresh poblano. I think it is my favorite
>> chile pepper!) I am making enchiladas later, and I am using them for
>> the sauce. (koko's recently posted recipe)
>>
>> Ellie likes spicy things, but not things that are really spicy. Will
>> the cooking gods hate me if I end up adding some tomatoes to make it
>> milder if it ends up spicier than she'll like?

> Anchos have almost no heat at all, quite sweet actually. You'll find
> many paprikas and chili powders have more spice than an ancho.
> They'll add a whole lot of flavor but no spice. You can always make a
> half batch of enchiladas with jalapenos or chipotles if you prefer
> something hotter.
>
> Paul

They ended up being not spicy enough for my friend and I, but Ellie
liked them (and thought it was "hot" )

--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko > fnord news:qgctd41hr3idmm1e4r7t18rc9fvmd4dsou@
4ax.com:

> Great as long as it was tasty, that's all that matters.

Oh, it was. Pics in abf later.

>>> Please give Ellie a big hug and kiss from me.
>>> Maybe her leotard fell behind the dresser.

>>I still couldn't find it. Oh well, now she has a pink one. She's happy
>>

> Oh, how you bring back memories of when I was raising my daughter
> alone.

Maybe I will have fond memories of exhaustion when I am older

--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss > fnord
:

> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 19:56:06 GMT, Saerah Gray >
> wrote:

(Steve Pope) fnord
:

>>> Anchos are milder than (almost any) New Mexico chili, so yes you

will
>>> end up with a mild enchilada sauce.
>>>

>>I have some dried guajillos, too, but I'm saving them for something
>>else. (chocolate mole, whenever I get around to it.)
>>
>>The things you can find at Aldi are often surprising!
>>
>>> I don't think there's much wrong with adding a fraction of
>>> tomato or tomato product to an enchilada sauce, so long as it
>>> does not dominate.
>>>

>>Yeah, I have used the bottled stuff, and it is way too "spicy tomato
>>sauce" for my tastes.
>>
>>When I make things from scratch for the first time, I like them to be
>>"authentic", or at least close to it.

> Here's a thread on enchiladas from 6 years ago that authenticity comes
> up in. I made enchiladas a few weeks ago and googled the group. I
> used bits and pieces from a few of the recipes and was very pleased
> with the results. I did use tomatoes.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4vj4fw
>
> Lou

I really like the way the dried chilies make it a chili sauce with
tomatoes, more than tomato sauce with chilies, you know?

--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:58:43 -0700, Mike wrote:

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message

>>> i wonder why smoking would double or almost triple the scoville units?
>>> shrinkage? i don't recall seeing dried jalapeños other than chipotles.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> I was looking at that myself - I suppose the scoville units are a ratio of
>> capsicum to the flesh. I believe the smoking process reduces the amount
>> of "flesh" by removing moisture there be increasing the scoville ratio.
>>
>> I would think that's how it works.
>>
>> Dimitri

> It concentrates the heat in the pepper.
> Heat also seems to make peppers get hotter.
> I smoked some Habaneros last fall and they were blazing hot.. I added a
> smoked Habby to a jar of canned smoked salmon and pressure cooked it.
> the Habby put a hurting on my guts the next morning.

so there is a heat factor in addition to the shrinkage (i.e., more bounce
to the ounce)?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:07:35 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:30:46 -0700, Dimitri wrote:
>>>
>>> Here is the actual scolville scale
>>>
>>> You can see where the Ancho and Poblano range.
>>>
>>> Dimitri
>>>
>>> pepper Type Heat rating (in Scoville
>>> heat
>>> units)

>>> Smoked Jalepeno (Chipotle) 10,000

>>> Jalepeno 3,500-4,500

>> i wonder why smoking would double or almost triple the scoville units?
>> shrinkage? i don't recall seeing dried jalapeños other than chipotles.

> Penzeys sells dried, crushed jalepeno:
>
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...sjalapeno.html
>
> They claim a heat level of 55,000.

jeez, more then ten times as hot as fresh? this is really puzzling.

your pal,
blake

Ancho abundance Ema Nymton General Cooking 11 23-12-2012 09:56 PM
Ancho Tomato Pesto Duckie ® Recipes 0 22-03-2004 05:17 PM
The Price of Ancho Chiles at Whole Foods! Unbelievable! Kate B General Cooking 15 06-12-2003 09:36 AM
Baked Chiles Rellenos (Stuffed Chiles) [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 21-10-2003 01:55 PM
Chiles Rellenos de Arroz Integral (Chiles Rellenos Stuffed with Brown Rice) MrFalafel Vegan 8 10-10-2003 12:26 AM