Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ping Wendy

I was just talking to someone who mentioned that her friend makes a Jewish
pasta dish with cottage cheese in it. She couldn't remember the name except
that it wasn't kugel and it wasn't baked? Does this ring a bell with you?
And note that I am not recommended that diabetics eat or avoid this dish. I
just wanted the name to look up a recipe. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
: I was just talking to someone who mentioned that her friend makes a Jewish
: pasta dish with cottage cheese in it. She couldn't remember the name except
: that it wasn't kugel and it wasn't baked? Does this ring a bell with you?
: And note that I am not recommended that diabetics eat or avoid this dish. I
: just wanted the name to look up a recipe. Thanks!

Just sounds like cottage cheese on noodles. Usually those dishes are made
with eggs and either sweet or savory flavoring(I like savory with onions,
salt adn ppepper, etc and no sugar or fruits, dried or fresh, and are
baked to make a kugel. I knowof no dish with plain cottag cheese adn
noodles, but i imagine you coul dmake an eggless kugel(don't want raw egg
in the dish) and flavor it as you like and not bake it, but serve it right
away, while it is hot.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : I was just talking to someone who mentioned that her friend makes a
> Jewish
> : pasta dish with cottage cheese in it. She couldn't remember the name
> except
> : that it wasn't kugel and it wasn't baked? Does this ring a bell with
> you?
> : And note that I am not recommended that diabetics eat or avoid this
> dish. I
> : just wanted the name to look up a recipe. Thanks!
>
> Just sounds like cottage cheese on noodles. Usually those dishes are made
> with eggs and either sweet or savory flavoring(I like savory with onions,
> salt adn ppepper, etc and no sugar or fruits, dried or fresh, and are
> baked to make a kugel. I knowof no dish with plain cottag cheese adn
> noodles, but i imagine you coul dmake an eggless kugel(don't want raw egg
> in the dish) and flavor it as you like and not bake it, but serve it right
> away, while it is hot.

Oh, okay. Not sure anyone would like that. Eggs would not be an issue
because I couldn't eat it. But... I also don't have any egg noodles in the
house and that is probably what would be needed for this. I mentioned to
this person that I had a lot of pasta to use up because once I stocked up on
it, we all got sick of eating it. I also mentioned cottage cheese and said
that if I made pasta and Angela didn't want to eat it, she would just go get
a bowl of cottage cheese. Husband will usually eat something even if he
doesn't particularly like it and although he is Italian, pasta has never
been a favorite food of his. And then it went from there. She asked me if
I had ever tried the dish made of pasta and cottage cheese and stammered
around, trying to find the name of it. Said it was Jewish and not a kugel.
I did try looking it up but got nothing.

I did try some sort of kugel many years ago that my MIL made. She didn't
tell me what it was, just told me to try it. I really liked it and just
kept helping myself to more and more. Finally she gave me a dirty look and
pulled the dish away from me, telling me that it was a dessert. I wondered
why then she had set it in front of me. It was breakfast time and I had
assumed that we were supposed to eat it then. It was sweet and although I
did like it, I don't think anyone else in the house would.

Angela is weird about pasta with cheese. She will eat macaroni and cheese
but for some reason prefers the boxed kind. Is not thrilled with the one
kind of whole wheat pasta one that I can buy but does like the Kraft that is
a mix of regular and whole wheat. That's hard to find though. I always add
as much real cheese as I can get away with when I make it though. She knows
no different because I have always made it like that. She does not like the
kind that I make from scratch, nor does she like most lasagna because it has
too much cheese in it. Also will not eat anything with Alfredo sauce but I
can't blame her there. That stuff is so rich that I can't stand it myself.

Am not at all sure that she would like such a dish of pasta and cottage
cheese but was curious because it would be one way to use up some pasta and
good to make on a day when have cottage cheese that is about to go bad.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message

[...]

I see no reason not to try it with pasta, particularly if you have
linguini or even interesting shaper. You coul dtry Angela with either
some sweet or savory addition depending on her taste. cinnamon and
sweetener, or small aounts of dried apricots(less carby than raisin) or
fresh friuits, or , for savory, black pepper, herbs, salty stuff lke
Parmesian cheese or onions, lightly sauteed is you like. Kind of anything
but eggs for your sensativities. You could also use cheddar cheese(sharp)
to zip up a savory unkugel. You husbank might like some of these as well
so you can get your pasta used up.

A thought on the lasagna, instead of topping with mozzarella, just use
some parmigan sprinkled over the last tomato sauce or tomato/meat sauce.
(I , of course, don't use meat as I woudl not mix it with a dairy product
for Kosher reasons).

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> myself.
>
> : Am not at all sure that she would like such a dish of pasta and cottage
> : cheese but was curious because it would be one way to use up some pasta
> and
> : good to make on a day when have cottage cheese that is about to go bad.
>
> I see no reason not to try it with pasta, particularly if you have
> linguini or even interesting shaper. You coul dtry Angela with either
> some sweet or savory addition depending on her taste. cinnamon and
> sweetener, or small aounts of dried apricots(less carby than raisin) or
> fresh friuits, or , for savory, black pepper, herbs, salty stuff lke
> Parmesian cheese or onions, lightly sauteed is you like. Kind of anything
> but eggs for your sensativities. You could also use cheddar cheese(sharp)
> to zip up a savory unkugel. You husbank might like some of these as well

I am the one who can't eat eggs but I can't eat dairy either so I wouldn't
eat it. I know she wouldn't eat any kind of fruit in it. Like me she
doesn't like fruit much.

> A thought on the lasagna, instead of topping with mozzarella, just use
> some parmigan sprinkled over the last tomato sauce or tomato/meat sauce.
> (I , of course, don't use meat as I woudl not mix it with a dairy product
> for Kosher reasons).

I never used to put meat in my lasagna. The last batch that I made had only
meat and no cheese. It was just okay.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 14:03:32 -0700
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I am the one who can't eat eggs but I can't eat dairy either so I
> wouldn't eat it. I know she wouldn't eat any kind of fruit in it.
> Like me she doesn't like fruit much.

You might try getting a chunk of real Parmesan cheese and grating
it yourself. Hard aged cheese has the galactose fermented out
of it. This is the only dairy I eat, and it has made big difference
in how I feel. Lots of calcium and protein.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Trawley Trash" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 14:03:32 -0700
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I am the one who can't eat eggs but I can't eat dairy either so I
>> wouldn't eat it. I know she wouldn't eat any kind of fruit in it.
>> Like me she doesn't like fruit much.

> You might try getting a chunk of real Parmesan cheese and grating
> it yourself. Hard aged cheese has the galactose fermented out
> of it. This is the only dairy I eat, and it has made big difference
> in how I feel. Lots of calcium and protein.

Any kind of cheese makes me sick. Galactose is not the problem for me.
It's casein.

ping wendy and evelyn ot Storrmmee Diabetic 12 16-10-2011 06:17 PM
Ping Wendy Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 42 23-06-2011 10:10 AM
ping wendy baker OT Storrmmee Diabetic 97 05-12-2010 03:54 AM
Ping: Wendy and Janet Priscilla Ballou Diabetic 0 01-06-2008 04:03 AM
Ping: Wendy Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 14 30-05-2008 03:53 AM