Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What to do with Bitter cucumbers?

Todd > wrote:
: Hi All,

: One, and fortunately only one, of my Japanese cucumber
: plants grows the most nasty bitter cucumbers I have
: ever tasted in my life.

: Is there some way to make them palatable? Toss them in the
: trash? Give to seeds to a relative I don't like?

: Many thanks,
: -T

I hve no idea, but like yoru second suggestion:-) My oly advice is to buy
a differen variety of t seed next year.

I guess they woul d make good comost.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 09/10/2013 09:30 AM, W. Baker wrote:
: > Todd > wrote:
: > : Hi All,
: >
: > : One, and fortunately only one, of my Japanese cucumber
: > : plants grows the most nasty bitter cucumbers I have
: > : ever tasted in my life.
: >
: > : Is there some way to make them palatable? Toss them in the
: > : trash? Give to seeds to a relative I don't like?
: >
: > : Many thanks,
: > : -T
: >
: > I hve no idea, but like yoru second suggestion:-) My oly advice is to buy
: > a differen variety of t seed next year.
: >
: > I guess they woul d make good comost.
: >
: > Wendy
: >

: The other three plants are so good they make your
: eyes roll in your head. Weird. Not this one. I
: am thinking up pulling it out.

Wow! I have never been that excited about a cucumber:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 09/11/2013 02:03 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: > Todd > wrote:
: >
: > : Hi Wendy,
: >
: > : Some, not all, of the stuff that comes out of my little
: > : organic garden is extrodinary. This years good stuff
: > : is Japaneese cucumbers (except that one bush), Italian
: > : Parsley, Cherry tomatoes. The Golden Glode turnips
: > : are nasty. The Heirloom red lettice, the jduy is still
: > : oput on. The Purslane is prety good.
: >
: > : Are you the Jewish Lady on the group? If so, a belated
: > : Good and Sweet New Year. If not, just chuckle at me
: > : putting for putting my foot in my mouth (heart was
: > : in the right place though).
: >
: > : If so, did you cook anything special?
: >
: > : -T
: >
: > thansk you for the New Years greeting. As I was alone for Rosh Hashana
: > this year in the country being with peooe only at thesunagogue, I did
: > absolutely nothing fancy. I roaste a large(5lb) chickenwhich I are for
: > three days straight, lunch and dinner and put a leg/thigh inthe freezere
: > along with some of my unthickened gravy, for my dinner Friday nighgt
: > before the 25 hour Yom Kippur fast starts. As my water stopped on Monday
: > morning Ihad to return to the city, but, if the plumber is able to fix it
: > before tomorrow(Thursday) morning, I will be able to go back up. It seems
: > it is not the well(thank God!), but the pressure tank which is leaking and
: > loosing pressure. I do make a gret roast chicken, if i say so myself, but
: > it would not help you as yu need a proper oven to cook it in.
: >
: > Wendy

: Hi Wendy,

: I will say a prayer for your water. Do not forget Isaiah 41:13.

: Someday, if I can afford one of those fancy oven that draft
: outside, maybe. Till then, what seasoning do you use on your
: roast chicken? Please tell me use use Rosemary!

: -T

Lemon juice, black peer, onion slivers inside andunder the bird as well as
in slits i make inthe breast, no salt as I use kosher cickenwhich has been
soaked an salted to remove excess blood, anherb or two and some mild curry
powder rubbed all over and even under the skin part way. I do the same
for turkeybefore roasting. with both birds, I make a thin gravy after
defattign the juices after roastin by adding water to the pamn and
scraping up all the flavorfull bits andthe onions from the bottom adn
tasting. Don't be afraid of adding too much water as you can always boil
it down until it tastes good.

Wendy

BIG CUCUMBERS VS SMALL CUCUMBERS Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_13_] General Cooking 2 11-05-2016 04:29 PM
What to do with Bitter cucumbers? Peppermint Patootie Diabetic 1 11-09-2013 01:29 AM
Cucumbers? KenK General Cooking 14 14-06-2012 10:45 PM
Cucumbers - can anything be done with dried cucumbers? Jim[_25_] Preserving 15 08-06-2012 07:48 PM
Too many cucumbers! Ken Knecht General Cooking 45 28-10-2006 06:30 PM