Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Todd's coconut pancakes

you could use this batter for coconut shrimp..

run shrimp thru batter and then roll in shredded coconut and fry..yum!

KROM

"Todd" wrote:
It is nice to be on the giving
end, rather than the receiving end, for the change. :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" wrote in message ...

you could use this batter for coconut shrimp..

run shrimp thru batter and then roll in shredded coconut and fry..yum!

-------------

That sounds delicious, and fry in coconut oil I was just thinking,
after reading Todd's pancake recipe... His recipe shows x amount of
fibre. I want to know if fibre still counts when you are using a flour.
If the coconut or whatever is finely ground I can't see how there is
fibre. Therefore, to my way of thinking, one can't reduce the total carb
amount by subtracting the "fibre". Anyone?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

fiber is fiber even fine ground...which is why those easy mix fiber drinks
still work.

coconut is mostly fat and fiber if recall.

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote :

I was just thinking,
after reading Todd's pancake recipe... His recipe shows x amount of
fibre. I want to know if fibre still counts when you are using a flour.
If the coconut or whatever is finely ground I can't see how there is
fibre. Therefore, to my way of thinking, one can't reduce the total carb
amount by subtracting the "fibre". Anyone?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 09/02/2013 03:05 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "KROM" wrote in message ...
>
> you could use this batter for coconut shrimp..
>
> run shrimp thru batter and then roll in shredded coconut and fry..yum!
>
> -------------
>
> That sounds delicious, and fry in coconut oil I was just thinking,
> after reading Todd's pancake recipe... His recipe shows x amount of
> fibre. I want to know if fibre still counts when you are using a
> flour.
> If the coconut or whatever is finely ground I can't see how there is
> fibre. Therefore, to my way of thinking, one can't reduce the total
> carb
> amount by subtracting the "fibre". Anyone?

Hi Ozgirl,

You can not substitute grain flours and coconut flours. The
hygroscopic properties of the two vary dramatically. That is
why the extraordinary amount of eggs in my recipe/formula.
Increasing the cream from 1/4 cup to 1/3 cups ruins the
batter. As I said before, it took me a while to get this down.

The fiber note is only there because, now that I do not eat grains
(like psyllium husks, oat bran, etc.), for my digestive health,
I need to know how much fiber I am getting from other sources.
(Could that sentence be any longer?) My favorite fiber is the fiber
I get from cocoa powder. One has to drink the cocoa to get the fiber.
And, a guys has to do what a guy has to do. :-)

I do not subtract the fiber from the carbs, as carbs minus fiber
is a good was for a diabetic to get into trouble. The carbs are
still there. They are just "time released". So, you can not
have any more carbs for the rest of the day or your blood
glucose will rise and rise and rise as the day goes on. My
GP and I had a long conversation about this. He is quite disdainful
of the practice and of Atkins for pushing it.

Plus, you keep trying to use the poisonous stuff and don't force
yourself to learn the new stuff. Me, I plan on learning how to
cook really, really well, so that I am never tempted to add back
those poisons to my diet. And, thanks to all of your guys, I
am making progress.

Two substitutes I like for flour breading are Parmesan cheese and
ground pecans. Cheri has a great recipe for parmigiana chicken.
(I will post it, with my mods/comments, if anyone is interested.)

For gravy, just use meat dripping, chopped onions, and optionally
mushrooms, and cream. So, so rich and yummy. Much better than
wheat flour and corn flour. And, virtually zero carb.

-T

-------------------

I have never used cream in a gravy for ground meat as Cheri posted.
Biggest reason I guess is that I cook for 8, 7 of them young adults who
have hollow legs and me who eats moderately, lol. I use cornflour to
thicken dishes like that, especially for Shepherd's Pie. Usually though
we just eat plain protein plus salads and each couple cooks for
themselves (I mostly cook for just me and my daughter who has Down
syndrome). Every so often I do a big roast and cook for the lot.
Spaghetti Bolognese is another large dish I do every so often. I don't
pay too much attention to how much fibre is in a food but I do tend to
eat mostly fibrousy foods anyway.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 09/02/2013 10:52 AM, KROM wrote:
> you could use this batter for coconut shrimp..
>
> run shrimp thru batter and then roll in shredded coconut and fry..yum!
>
> KROM
>

> "Todd" wrote:
> It is nice to be on the giving
> end, rather than the receiving end, for the change. :-)

Hi Krom,

Battered shrimp sounds SO good! Thank you!

These pancakes taste like a cross between a pastry and a pancake.
A pastry shrimp might taste a little weird. Would you change
any of the seasoning to accommodate the shrimp? OR, just
leave the formula alone and try it?

--------------------

Shrimp (prawns) go very well with coconut. I would even fry in coconut
oil after coating the prawns in coconut One of my favourite dishes is
sauteed marinara mix (heavy on the prawns) to which I add a sauce made
of pureed mango and coconut cream mixed together and add at the last
moment. Top with coconut flakes. Delish!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

if baking on a rack on a sheet tray I would season both shrimp and batter..

if frying I would season them with a seasoned salt right out the fryer.

the fun part is trying these things and tweaking to your taste

recently I've been doing a lot of Asian foods

I've mastered naoc cham which is a delicious fish dipping sauce for egg
rolls etc..i haven't quite got a good sub for some of the sugars and carbs
in some of these items to make them taste proper..but I've been having some
success with agave and raw sugar in tiny amounts..which in the final dish
doesnt spike me at all.

I was playing with a batter of egg whites..sparkling water and a coconut
flour with a dash of tamari for things like chicken strips to cover the
coconut flavor..which is great on shrimp..not so much chicken.

in fact I was going to try lollipop chicken wings with this batter Thursday

I am going to a Asian store this week to try to find those tofu skins to use
as egg role wrappers..might be good..I hope..lol

keep playing with your food and let us know what ya come up with!

KROM

"Todd" wrote:

Hi Krom,
Battered shrimp sounds SO good! Thank you!

These pancakes taste like a cross between a pastry and a pancake.
A pastry shrimp might taste a little weird. Would you change
any of the seasoning to accommodate the shrimp? OR, just
leave the formula alone and try it?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that does sound good!

think I will try to make chicken lollipops and coconut shrimp this week on
my treat day...only problem is wife hates seafood..even the smell so I have
to pick my times and air out house..lol

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote
Shrimp (prawns) go very well with coconut. I would even fry in coconut
oil after coating the prawns in coconut One of my favourite dishes is
sauteed marinara mix (heavy on the prawns) to which I add a sauce made
of pureed mango and coconut cream mixed together and add at the last
moment. Top with coconut flakes. Delish!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> I have never used cream in a gravy for ground meat as Cheri posted.
> Biggest reason I guess is that I cook for 8, 7 of them young adults who
> have hollow legs and me who eats moderately, lol. I use cornflour to
> thicken dishes like that, especially for Shepherd's Pie. Usually though we
> just eat plain protein plus salads and each couple cooks for themselves (I
> mostly cook for just me and my daughter who has Down syndrome). Every so
> often I do a big roast and cook for the lot. Spaghetti Bolognese is
> another large dish I do every so often. I don't pay too much attention to
> how much fibre is in a food but I do tend to eat mostly fibrousy foods
> anyway.

You don't have to use cream. You can use any kind of milk, even powdered
milk that has been reconstituted with water. I almost always add a lot of
chopped onions and celery to mine. I can make a pound of ground beef extend
to two meals for 2 or 3 of us by doing this.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message

> Thank you for the heads up.
>
> By any chance do you know if the South Beach diet allows
> this? Just curious.

South Beach is not a carb counting diet. In the beginning phase, the only
high carb food you are allowed is beans. You eat this way for two weeks,
think. You then gradually add in the allowed fruits, whole grains and other
carby foods like sweet potatoes. Approx. portion sizes are listed such as 1
apple, 1 slice of bread, 1/2 cup of whole grain pasta or brown rice. Beans
can be eaten freely. You are supposed to eat three meals and two snacks per
day.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have been meaning to try those..how is the texture?

KROM

"Susan" wrote:

I've been using Explore Asian soybean pasta this summer. We've been
mostly having it with home made clam sauce or Chinese peanut/sesame
sauce. It's so high protein, in addition to very high fiber that it
never elicits a spike. I stay away from grain foods and pastas almost
entirely.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 09/11/2013 10:39 AM, KROM wrote:
: > so many think the world ends with diabetes..its just a challenge that
: > can be fun or misery..congrats on choosing fun!
: >
: > KROM

: Hi FROM,

: When I was diagnosed, eveyone thought I had heart desease.
: As it turned out and $2000 in test later (they gave me half
: off for cash), my heavy breathing was diabetic ketoacidosis.
: I was so happy I did not have heart desease, I was gitty.
: So I bought a couple of steaks and celebrated.

: It wasn't till the next day that suddenly it hit me:
: "Oh Crap! I have diabetis!"

: I have been learning to cook ever since. You guys
: have been a great help and blessing.

: The guy I told everyone about when I first joined the
: group that used insulin so he could eat whatever he
: wanted and had lost both his legs, now has lost both
: his kidneys. He says he is on the diet now, but he
: told me that apples were unlimited, so, I don't think
: so. He should have chose fun. And, once you learn
: to cook, the food is so much better than the crap I
: use to eat!

: Cooking is great engineering. And, no waiting months
: to see the result. Plus, you get to eat the artifacts!

: And, you know what else, when you cook for loved ones,
: you get back something so wonderful it is hard to
: describe. The world ends? My Butt.

: You also get told you have to excercise. So, I will
: go fishing. I DON'T HAVE TO BE TOLD TWICE! Although,
: I should probably limit myself to fishing on days that
: end in "y". :-)

: Since my Induction into the "pin cushion club":
: better food, more love, better friends, more fishing,
: less (okay, this is a family forum). A blessing, not
: a curse.

: -T

Although I am not a chemist, I do think of cooking as rather chemitry
rather than engineering, but whatever floats your boat. I have always
regarded my diabetic cooking as a contest between me and teh diabetes. I
find as many ways as possible to make foods that would be high carb that I
like to eat and succeed in fooing that mean old diabetes. Makes it more
of a game.

I amnot as low arb as you are anddon't mind taking some meds, but I have
found tons of ways to enjoy my food without bringing on those hig bg's.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> Cooking is great engineering. And, no waiting months
> to see the result. Plus, you get to eat the artifacts!

Love this.

PP
- Chris Malcolm

RECIPE: coconut flour pancakes (low carb, gluten free) Todd Diabetic 2 09-06-2013 07:16 AM
RECIPE: coconut flour pancakes (low carb, gluten free) Todd Diabetic 1 07-06-2013 08:29 PM
Todd English does Sushi noauth Sushi 1 27-04-2012 05:52 AM
Todd English's Tomato Chutney Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 10-04-2007 02:08 AM
OT - Mr Todd! Damsel General Cooking 0 08-06-2005 12:11 AM