Old 23-06-2013, 09:39 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What am I doing wrong with my cauliflower mashed potatoes?

On 06/23/2013 11:58 AM, KROM wrote:
you'd be better off roasting the cauliflower in the oven first..but
since you love the pressure cooker...cook the cauli in a bit of oil with
garlic to brown them a bit before pressure cooking with no water on a
lower heat..it has plenty of water in it.

I think your over boiling it and getting that sulfur/metallic taste

KROM

Hi KROM,

Thank you!

How much oil (depth) would you use to keep from burning
the cauliflower?

-T

Old 23-06-2013, 10:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 06/23/2013 11:58 AM, KROM wrote:
you'd be better off roasting the cauliflower in the oven first..but
since you love the pressure cooker...cook the cauli in a bit of oil with
garlic to brown them a bit before pressure cooking with no water on a
lower heat..it has plenty of water in it.

I think your over boiling it and getting that sulfur/metallic taste

KROM

Hi KROM,

Thank you!

How much oil (depth) would you use to keep from burning
the cauliflower?

Answer 1: Just a sprinkling, very light to keep it from sticking.
The way you do this btw is put the flowerlets into a large plastic
bag, then add a glug or so of oil (good olive) and sprinkles of s+p
and whatever other seasoning. Seal and shake,then roast it, see #3.

Answer 2: You do not want to roast the cauliflower. Roasting will
dry it out which is the opposite of what you are trying to achieve
by steaming it (ie, moistening it) in the pc or preferably in the
microwave. Focus on your goal of cauliflower mashed potatoes,
not roasted cauli and garlic. And forget pressure cooker, it is
simply the wrong thing for this style of food.

Answer 3: You can make very nice roasted cauliflower by breaking
it up into flowerlets, then tossing with a little oil, s+p and whatever
seasoning appeals (chili powder, garlic salt, lemon pepper, nothing)
and spreading it on a flat baking sheet. Roast at 350 or so for about
20 minutes, or until it is nicely browned and tenderish. This is great
finger food and excellent side dishes due to the versatility of the
added seasoning. This is very different from making mash.

pavane

Old 24-06-2013, 06:32 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

just a small amount to make it not stick..your not frying your sautéing it
to release moisture and add flavor.

so medium heat..then reduce heat put lid on pressure cooker with the rest of
the ingredients.

the way I make it is sauté the cauli then cook it in a fourth cup chicken
and or beef broth...that kills the sulfur taste and makes it more potato
like.

so for you id put the pressure pot on stove..add a teaspoon or so oil...on
medium heat...add cauli..then garlic..then a fourth cup broth..I like to mix
beef and chicken...cover and pressure cook for a shorter time then you have
been this is the part you need to experiment to get right until its
tender..then in food processor blend the cream cheese etc.

what I really like is the core of broccoli stems made this way it tastes
just like potato

KROM

Old 24-06-2013, 06:34 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have roasted it in the oven then mashed and it was very good

I do agree the pressure cooker is being overused by the good gentleman but
he wants to work with what he knows..lol

KROM

Old 25-06-2013, 12:27 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/24/2013 10:32 AM, KROM wrote:
[...]

Thank you. Can't wait to try the broccoli stems!

-T

Old 25-06-2013, 02:07 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" wrote in message ...

I have roasted it in the oven then mashed and it was very good

I do agree the pressure cooker is being overused by the good gentleman
but
he wants to work with what he knows..lol

KROM

================

I think it is all he has? I miss my pressure cooker, haven't had one for
decades, lol.

Old 25-06-2013, 03:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/24/2013 06:07 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
I do agree the pressure cooker is being overused by the good gentleman but
he wants to work with what he knows..lol

KROM

================

I think it is all he has? I miss my pressure cooker, haven't had one for
decades, lol.

Two microwaves
Two saute pans,
Two pressure cookers (6L and 8L)

The pressure cooker really speeds things up. Makes great broth too.

Old 25-06-2013, 04:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"KROM" wrote in message ...

I have roasted it in the oven then mashed and it was very good

I do agree the pressure cooker is being overused by the good gentleman but
he wants to work with what he knows..lol

KROM

================

I think it is all he has? I miss my pressure cooker, haven't had one for
decades, lol.

I've never had one and see no need to get one. Would just take up a lot of
space in the kitchen. I have no problems with waiting for stuff to cook and
don't want instant stuff. Or if I do, I'll just open a can of beans.

Old 25-06-2013, 04:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/24/2013 07:41 PM, Todd wrote:
On 06/24/2013 06:07 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
I do agree the pressure cooker is being overused by the good gentleman
but
he wants to work with what he knows..lol

KROM

================

I think it is all he has? I miss my pressure cooker, haven't had one for
decades, lol.

Two microwaves
Two saute pans,
Two pressure cookers (6L and 8L)

The pressure cooker really speeds things up. Makes great broth too.

And a food precessor

Old 25-06-2013, 05:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/24/2013 04:27 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

How much of the stem do you use? The lower part is really
woody.

My wife said "But the will be green!" Then she giggled.

And, can I eat them on days other than Saint Patty's
day? :-)

-T

Old 25-06-2013, 06:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 6/23/2013 1:38 PM, Todd wrote:
On 06/23/2013 05:51 AM, Don Roberto wrote:

I must be doing something wrong.

Yes. You are cooking it. Cauliflower is one of the vegies that's meant
to be eaten raw.
Okay, it's also okay in soups.

Hi Don,

I can't take the farts.

I had a friend years ago who was into raw Broccoli
and Cauliflower. He tried to get me into it too.
I thought I was going to die.

Odds are you wouldn't have.
In fact, eating cauliflower and broccoli raw may have prolonged your life.

Old 25-06-2013, 06:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/24/2013 10:25 PM, Don Roberto wrote:
On 6/23/2013 1:38 PM, Todd wrote:
On 06/23/2013 05:51 AM, Don Roberto wrote:

I must be doing something wrong.

Yes. You are cooking it. Cauliflower is one of the vegies that's meant
to be eaten raw.
Okay, it's also okay in soups.

Hi Don,

I can't take the farts.

I had a friend years ago who was into raw Broccoli
and Cauliflower. He tried to get me into it too.
I thought I was going to die.

Odds are you wouldn't have.
In fact, eating cauliflower and broccoli raw may have prolonged your life.

Hi Don,

No doubt!

Those kind of cramps will make life seem much, much longer.
And, the solution will clear a room of all human and most
insect life. :-)

-T

Old 25-06-2013, 06:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

just be sure to peel the green away..its the inner white core thats potato
like.

what I enjoy is cubing it and cooking in broth then removing once tender yet
firm and drying on paper towel and frying in a pan with butter till brown
like hash brown cubes and have with egg..sometimes steak...make me not miss
potato so much.

KROM

Old 25-06-2013, 07:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
: On 06/24/2013 06:07 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
: I do agree the pressure cooker is being overused by the good gentleman but
: he wants to work with what he knows..lol
:
: KROM
:
: ================
:
: I think it is all he has? I miss my pressure cooker, haven't had one for
: decades, lol.

: Two microwaves
: Two saute pans,
: Two pressure cookers (6L and 8L)

: The pressure cooker really speeds things up. Makes great broth too.
microwaves are quite fast for vegetables, I usually use about 6 mns for a
head of broccoli for a dinner veg. about the same with cauliflower, but
it would take loger for the fautatuoes. cut into flotets adn peel the
stalks and slice in kin dog thick coin size for mocrowaving, covered,
inwhatever container you use.

Wendy