Old 22-06-2013, 03:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What am I doing wrong with my cauliflower mashed potatoes?

Hi All,

Something is wrong with my cauliflower mashed potatoes.
Tastes metallic, like a bad drinking fountain (okay not
THAT bad, but reminiscent). Would you guys mind looking
of my recipe to see what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks,
-T

Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes:

2 small heads org cauliflower
Wash, pressure cook with 4 inches of water on high for
4 minutes, fast release, drain

In the food processor with the blending blade (cream it):
2 T org onion powder
1 hint of org Garlic (it get super amplified!)
1 flat tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
the cooked cauliflower, with as little water as possible

In the pan, melt
1 cube butter
1 block cream cheese

Return to the pan and mix together. Heat a little bit more

Old 22-06-2013, 04:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

I would cut the onion powder significantly. In fact, leave it out
the next time you make this. If the mash tastes better, you have
found the villain. It just sounds wrong. Everything else is a bland
flavor, 2T of onion powder is an avalanche.

Other question is why do you bother pressure cooking when
about the same time in a microwave will cook the cauliflower
without adding other variables and keep the veggie more,
as it were, pure. Good luck.

pavane

Old 22-06-2013, 04:19 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/21/2013 08:06 PM, pavane wrote:

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

I will cut it to 1 tsp.

Other question is why do you bother pressure cooking when
about the same time in a microwave will cook the cauliflower
without adding other variables and keep the veggie more,
as it were, pure.

Because I never knew you could do that. How do you do it?
Do you cover them? (Remember I don't know what I am doing
and you kind of have to hand hold me through the process.)

Good luck.

pavane

Thank you!

-T
Old 22-06-2013, 05:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , Todd
wrote:

Hi All,

Something is wrong with my cauliflower mashed potatoes.
Tastes metallic, like a bad drinking fountain (okay not
THAT bad, but reminiscent). Would you guys mind looking
of my recipe to see what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks,
-T

Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes:

2 small heads org cauliflower
Wash, pressure cook with 4 inches of water on high for
4 minutes, fast release, drain

In the food processor with the blending blade (cream it):
2 T org onion powder
1 hint of org Garlic (it get super amplified!)
1 flat tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
the cooked cauliflower, with as little water as possible

If you want onion flavor, use real onion. I'd use about 1/4 onion for
this amount of cauliflower, and I'd use 2 cloves of garlic. I suspect
you have too much onion flavor and not enough garlic.

As for the metallic taste, I'd suspect the pressure cooker. I always
cook cauliflower in the microwave, following the directions in the
booklet that came with the oven (every microwave is different in the
settings that it provides). Then I nuke for an additional minute, to
make sure the cauliflower is very soft and easy to puree.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Old 22-06-2013, 02:22 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

Break your cauliflower into pieces (flowerlets) and put them into
a microwave-safe bowl. Add about 1/2 cup of water, cover the
bowl loosely to prevent splatter. Cook on high for a test period,
say 4 minutes. See how the cauliflower feels to you. If too hard,
put back in for about 30-second increments. If too soft, cook it
30-seconds less next time. For your purposes it would be difficult
to get it too soft. Voila! you have calibrated your microwave for
cauliflower. BTW it is said that a vegetable's best friend is the
microwave. Do a Bing or Google on "microwave cauliflower" to
get a feel for how others do this, you can learn a lot from the
different approaches.

pavane

Old 22-06-2013, 03:38 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

I just clean mine, leave it whole, rinse with cold water and shake off
excess, wrap in plastic wrap and microwave for about 7-8 minutes.

Cheri

Old 22-06-2013, 10:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/22/2013 07:38 AM, Cheri wrote:

Because I never knew you could do that. How do you do it?
Do you cover them? (Remember I don't know what I am doing
and you kind of have to hand hold me through the process.)

I just clean mine, leave it whole, rinse with cold water and shake off
excess, wrap in plastic wrap and microwave for about 7-8 minutes.

Cheri

HI Cheri,

I must be doing something wrong. I have tried that before with
other vegi's and I wind up with raw spots and burned spots. I
had a customer give me instructions like this for artichokes
that were suppose to be so wonderful. What a disaster.
Can you figure out what I may be doing wrong?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 22-06-2013, 10:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/21/2013 09:53 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
If you want onion flavor, use real onion. I'd use about 1/4 onion for
this amount of cauliflower, and I'd use 2 cloves of garlic. I suspect
you have too much onion flavor and not enough garlic.

1/4 onion? Chopped up? Cooked? (1/4 onion is a lot less than
2 dried T of powder.)

The reason behind the "wisp" of garlic is because I noticed that
any more and it amplifies the flavor of garlic like crazy. Two
wisps is like 10 cloves. Maybe it has something to do with
the sulfur in the cauliflower. (Believe it or not, it is
possible to use too much garlic. No, wait. Forget I said that.)

As for the metallic taste, I'd suspect the pressure cooker. I always
cook cauliflower in the microwave, following the directions in the
booklet that came with the oven (every microwave is different in the
settings that it provides). Then I nuke for an additional minute, to
make sure the cauliflower is very soft and easy to puree.

The pressure cooker is stainless steel. I have never known it
to impart a flavor. I am suspecting the sulphures in the
cauliflower. I could be wrong now ...

Thank you!

-T

Old 22-06-2013, 10:25 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 06/22/2013 07:38 AM, Cheri wrote:

Because I never knew you could do that. How do you do it?
Do you cover them? (Remember I don't know what I am doing
and you kind of have to hand hold me through the process.)

I just clean mine, leave it whole, rinse with cold water and shake off
excess, wrap in plastic wrap and microwave for about 7-8 minutes.

Cheri

HI Cheri,

I must be doing something wrong. I have tried that before with
other vegi's and I wind up with raw spots and burned spots. I
had a customer give me instructions like this for artichokes
that were suppose to be so wonderful. What a disaster.
Can you figure out what I may be doing wrong?

Many thanks,
-T

I just made jumbo artichokes yesterday. I put them in a casserole dish with
lid, turned them top side down, added about 1/2 cup water, put the lid on
and micro for about 14 minutes due to the size. Perfect. When I took them
out, turned right side up and drizzled with some olive oil and lemon juice.
They were really good. I don't know about the cauliflower, I have never had
that happen. I don't vent the plastic wrap or anything, but do wrap the
cauliflower completely. I think it was Susan that turned me on to that,
maybe she has some ideas for you.

Cheri

Old 22-06-2013, 11:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , Todd
wrote:

On 06/22/2013 07:38 AM, Cheri wrote:

Because I never knew you could do that. How do you do it?
Do you cover them? (Remember I don't know what I am doing
and you kind of have to hand hold me through the process.)

I just clean mine, leave it whole, rinse with cold water and shake off
excess, wrap in plastic wrap and microwave for about 7-8 minutes.

Cheri

HI Cheri,

I must be doing something wrong. I have tried that before with
other vegi's and I wind up with raw spots and burned spots. I
had a customer give me instructions like this for artichokes
that were suppose to be so wonderful. What a disaster.
Can you figure out what I may be doing wrong?

Does your microwave have a rotating plate in it? If it doesn't, you'll
have to pause it partway through and rotate your cooking dish manually.

Old 22-06-2013, 11:52 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/22/2013 03:23 PM, Alice Faber wrote:

Does your microwave have a rotating plate in it? If it doesn't, you'll
have to pause it partway through and rotate your cooking dish manually.

Hi Alice,

One does and one doesn't. Great recommendation. Thank you!

-T
Old 23-06-2013, 01:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 6/22/2013 2:08 PM, Todd wrote:
On 06/22/2013 07:38 AM, Cheri wrote:

Because I never knew you could do that. How do you do it?
Do you cover them? (Remember I don't know what I am doing
and you kind of have to hand hold me through the process.)

I just clean mine, leave it whole, rinse with cold water and shake off
excess, wrap in plastic wrap and microwave for about 7-8 minutes.

Cheri

HI Cheri,

I must be doing something wrong.

Yes. You are cooking it. Cauliflower is one of the vegies that's meant
to be eaten raw.
Okay, it's also okay in soups.

Old 23-06-2013, 07:58 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

you'd be better off roasting the cauliflower in the oven first..but since
you love the pressure cooker...cook the cauli in a bit of oil with garlic to
brown them a bit before pressure cooking with no water on a lower heat..it
has plenty of water in it.

I think your over boiling it and getting that sulfur/metallic taste

KROM

Old 23-06-2013, 09:38 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/23/2013 05:51 AM, Don Roberto wrote:

I must be doing something wrong.

Yes. You are cooking it. Cauliflower is one of the vegies that's meant
to be eaten raw.
Okay, it's also okay in soups.

Hi Don,

I can't take the farts.

I had a friend years ago who was into raw Broccoli
and Cauliflower. He tried to get me into it too.
I thought I was going to die.

-T