Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default carbs for prickly pear leaves??

Hi All,

There are great references for the carbs of Pricky
Pear fruit

http://www.carb-counter.net/fruit/1159

but I can not find anything on the pads? (It may be a mute
point as they have a marked hypo effect and may be
a free food.) Anyone know of a reference for the carbs of
the pads?

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/10/2013 06:33 PM, Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> There are great references for the carbs of Pricky
> Pear fruit
>
> http://www.carb-counter.net/fruit/1159
>
> but I can not find anything on the pads? (It may be a mute
> point as they have a marked hypo effect and may be
> a free food.) Anyone know of a reference for the carbs of
> the pads?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

This is the best I could find:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...erph-08-01287/

On the second link, it says a 100g sample, but in the
table it has varying weights of the pads. I don't
understand. :'(

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 10 May 2013 18:42:29 -0700, Todd > wrote:

>On 05/10/2013 06:33 PM, Todd wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> There are great references for the carbs of Pricky
>> Pear fruit

snip

From the lable on a jar of Nopalitos

serving size 23 pcs. 119 gm.

calories 20
fat 0
sodium 1180 gm
total carbs 3 gm
fiber 3gm

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bob Bloggs > wrote:
: On Fri, 10 May 2013 18:42:29 -0700, Todd > wrote:

: >On 05/10/2013 06:33 PM, Todd wrote:
: >> Hi All,
: >>
: >> There are great references for the carbs of Pricky
: >> Pear fruit
: >>
: snip

: From the lable on a jar of Nopalitos

: serving size 23 pcs. 119 gm.

: calories 20
: fat 0
: sodium 1180 gm
: total carbs 3 gm
: fiber 3gm
Looks like somehting you can eat pretty freely! about all fiber.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/11/2013 08:56 AM, Bob Bloggs wrote:
> On Fri, 10 May 2013 18:42:29 -0700, Todd > wrote:
>
>> On 05/10/2013 06:33 PM, Todd wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> There are great references for the carbs of Pricky
>>> Pear fruit
>>>

> snip
>
> From the lable on a jar of Nopalitos
>
> serving size 23 pcs. 119 gm.
>
> calories 20
> fat 0
> sodium 1180 gm
> total carbs 3 gm
> fiber 3gm

Hi Bob,

Might I talk you out of the brand on that label and
the UPC code?

Is this the bottled fruit or pads? What do they taste like?

Many thanks,
-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 05/11/2013 08:56 AM, Bob Bloggs wrote:

>> snip
>>
>> From the lable on a jar of Nopalitos
>>
>> serving size 23 pcs. 119 gm.
>>
>> calories 20
>> fat 0
>> sodium 1180 gm
>> total carbs 3 gm
>> fiber 3gm
>>

> Hi Bob,
>
> Might I talk you out of the brand on that label and
> the UPC code?
>
> Is this the bottled fruit or pads? What do they taste like?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

The pads are supposed to be akin to pickles in American food at least in
texture. But I tried a salsa out of them and found them to be icky and
slimy. Granted the restaurant we ate at doesn't make the best Mexican food.
So they may well have screwed up the salsa.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 11 May 2013 17:46:34 -0700, Todd > wrote:

>On 05/11/2013 08:56 AM, Bob Bloggs wrote:

>> snip
>>
>> From the lable on a jar of Nopalitos
>>
>> serving size 23 pcs. 119 gm.
>>
>> calories 20
>> fat 0
>> sodium 1180 gm
>> total carbs 3 gm
>> fiber 3gm
>>

>Hi Bob,
>
>Might I talk you out of the brand on that label and
>the UPC code?

The brand is GOYA And they are a product of Mexico. UPC 041331028721

>Is this the bottled fruit or pads? What do they taste like?

They are slices of the pads, about 1/4 " Wide x various lengths. Just
ate one to see what the taste is like plain. Always had then mixed in
something else before.

Not sure how to describe the taste. Mild, very slightly sweet.

Nearest other food I can relate it to might be asparagrass.

>Many thanks,
>-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

We get them fresh here. Mix them in with your scrambled eggs and put a
little of your favorite salsa on top.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/12/2013 11:07 AM, Bob Bloggs wrote:
> The brand is GOYA And they are a product of Mexico. UPC 041331028721

Hi Bob,

Thank you!

We have a Mexican supermarket in Carson City. They are very
nice on the phone. Said they have lots of cactus fruits.
I will check them out next week when I am in town. Wonder
is any one them are organic?

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/12/2013 11:39 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> We get them fresh here. Mix them in with your scrambled eggs and put a
> little of your favorite salsa on top.

pads or the fruit?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/12/2013 8:03 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 05/12/2013 11:39 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> We get them fresh here. Mix them in with your scrambled eggs and put a
>> little of your favorite salsa on top.
>>

> pads or the fruit?

pads. They peel them and slice them into matchstick-like pieces.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/13/2013 06:50 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/12/2013 8:03 PM, Todd wrote:
>> On 05/12/2013 11:39 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> We get them fresh here. Mix them in with your scrambled eggs and put a
>>> little of your favorite salsa on top.
>>>

>> pads or the fruit?

> pads. They peel them and slice them into matchstick-like pieces.

Hi Janet,

Thank you!

I read somewhere, I forget, that touching the raw pad can cause
contact dermatitis. Can you confirm or deny?

Also, I read that after cooking out the yuk factor, they
tasted somewhat like green beans?

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/13/2013 12:05 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 05/13/2013 06:50 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>>>

>>> pads or the fruit?

>> pads. They peel them and slice them into matchstick-like pieces.
>>

> Hi Janet,
>
> Thank you!
>
> I read somewhere, I forget, that touching the raw pad can cause
> contact dermatitis. Can you confirm or deny?

I have seen little old abuelas (grandmothers) slicing up the pads with
bare hands. If the spines are still on the pads and you prick yourself
with them, it can certainly be a problem.

DH often will take a fallen leaf/pad from one of our prickly pear cacti
and stick it into the ground where a new plant will grow. He never got
dermatitis.

I can neither confirm nor deny dermatitis from touching the pads, but I
have never heard of it happening to anyone.

> Also, I read that after cooking out the yuk factor, they
> tasted somewhat like green beans?

They sort of taste like nothing. They are more about the texture than
the flavor. As I said around here they are mostly served mixed in with
scrambled eggs and it s a pre-Easter dish.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.