Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Help me understand the mouth feel of this prickly pear wine

Not terribly impressed with last years prickly pear wine, but don't
understand whats happening.....

it feels "thick" in the mouth, almost like a real heavy mead might.
Its completely dry, I should add. While it feels thick in the mouth,
it has no legs in the glass, I should also add. Prickly pear is gooey
when you make your must ( I make mine from juicer-juiced juice with no
boiling ) but I have always added extra pectic enzyme in the past and
not encountered this before.

The wine was produced per jack kellers recipe, except for doubling of
pectic enzyme.

If anyone has a best guess as to why this feels so thick in the mouth,
and what chemical or substance might be most likely responsible, I'd
love to know.

Prickly pear is my local inexhaustible free fruit . I planned to
double production this year, but I would like to figure this out
first!!

Thanks in advance

Sean

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"snpm" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Not terribly impressed with last years prickly pear wine, but don't
> understand whats happening.....
>
> it feels "thick" in the mouth, almost like a real heavy mead might.
> Its completely dry, I should add. While it feels thick in the mouth,
> it has no legs in the glass, I should also add. Prickly pear is gooey
> when you make your must ( I make mine from juicer-juiced juice with no
> boiling ) but I have always added extra pectic enzyme in the past and
> not encountered this before.
>
> The wine was produced per jack kellers recipe, except for doubling of
> pectic enzyme.
>
> If anyone has a best guess as to why this feels so thick in the mouth,
> and what chemical or substance might be most likely responsible, I'd
> love to know.
>
> Prickly pear is my local inexhaustible free fruit . I planned to
> double production this year, but I would like to figure this out
> first!!
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Sean

I have 2 gallons that I bottled and they will be a year old in August. I
will let you know how mine turned out when I taste. I made 1 gallon from
Jack's recipe and 1 gallon from another source. The later recipe went super
dry, had more body it seemed, and included raisins in the recipe. It was
not boiled either, but the first was. I sweetened a little to bring out the
subtle fruitiness of the cactus, and just combined the 2 gallons before
bottling. It's a little early as I waiting for a year at least, but guess
it's as good a reason as any to open one of them.

Quixote

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

P.S. Will also check the look and feel. :^)

"Quixote" > wrote in message

> "snpm" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>> Not terribly impressed with last years prickly pear wine, but don't
>> understand whats happening.....
>>
>> it feels "thick" in the mouth, almost like a real heavy mead might.
>> Its completely dry, I should add. While it feels thick in the mouth,
>> it has no legs in the glass, I should also add. Prickly pear is gooey
>> when you make your must ( I make mine from juicer-juiced juice with no
>> boiling ) but I have always added extra pectic enzyme in the past and
>> not encountered this before.
>>
>> The wine was produced per jack kellers recipe, except for doubling of
>> pectic enzyme.
>>
>> If anyone has a best guess as to why this feels so thick in the mouth,
>> and what chemical or substance might be most likely responsible, I'd
>> love to know.
>>
>> Prickly pear is my local inexhaustible free fruit . I planned to
>> double production this year, but I would like to figure this out
>> first!!
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Sean

> I have 2 gallons that I bottled and they will be a year old in August. I
> will let you know how mine turned out when I taste. I made 1 gallon from
> Jack's recipe and 1 gallon from another source. The later recipe went
> super dry, had more body it seemed, and included raisins in the recipe.
> It was not boiled either, but the first was. I sweetened a little to
> bring out the subtle fruitiness of the cactus, and just combined the 2
> gallons before bottling. It's a little early as I waiting for a year at
> least, but guess it's as good a reason as any to open one of them.
>
> Quixote

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jul 31, 10:25 pm, snpm > wrote:
> Not terribly impressed with last years prickly pear wine, but don't
> understand whats happening.....
>
> it feels "thick" in the mouth, almost like a real heavy mead might.
> Its completely dry, I should add. While it feels thick in the mouth,
> it has no legs in the glass, I should also add. Prickly pear is gooey
> when you make your must ( I make mine from juicer-juiced juice with no
> boiling ) but I have always added extra pectic enzyme in the past and
> not encountered this before.
>
> The wine was produced per jack kellers recipe, except for doubling of
> pectic enzyme.
>
> If anyone has a best guess as to why this feels so thick in the mouth,
> and what chemical or substance might be most likely responsible, I'd
> love to know.
>
> Prickly pear is my local inexhaustible free fruit . I planned to
> double production this year, but I would like to figure this out
> first!!
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Sean

bumping...time grows short for determining the best treatment for this
years harvest....It's me or the havelinas...would appreciate all
opinions.

Sean

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Aug 24, 2:10 am, snpm > wrote:
> On Jul 31, 10:25 pm, snpm > wrote:
>

> > Not terribly impressed with last years prickly pear wine, but don't
> > understand whats happening.....

> > it feels "thick" in the mouth, almost like a real heavy mead might.
> > Its completely dry, I should add. While it feels thick in the mouth,
> > it has no legs in the glass, I should also add. Prickly pear is gooey
> > when you make your must ( I make mine from juicer-juiced juice with no
> > boiling ) but I have always added extra pectic enzyme in the past and
> > not encountered this before.

> > The wine was produced per jack kellers recipe, except for doubling of
> > pectic enzyme.

> > If anyone has a best guess as to why this feels so thick in the mouth,
> > and what chemical or substance might be most likely responsible, I'd
> > love to know.

> > Prickly pear is my local inexhaustible free fruit . I planned to
> > double production this year, but I would like to figure this out
> > first!!

> > Thanks in advance

> > Sean

> bumping...time grows short for determining the best treatment for this
> years harvest....It's me or the havelinas...would appreciate all
> opinions.
>
> Sean- Hide quoted text -

Sean,
I've never made it. I would have done what you did, add more pactic
enzyme.

Jack has an email address, maybe try him directly. Ben Rotter may
have some idea where to go too. Just google him to get his website on
winemaking.

Joe