Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Guar gum and metformin

Hi All,

You all probably already know that guar gum interferes with
metformin, but in case you didn't:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2722133

Horm Metab Res. 1989 Feb;21(2):81-3.
The influence of Guar gum on absorption of metformin from
the gut in healthy volunteers.

Gin H, Orgerie MB, Aubertin J.

Clinique Médicale et des maladies infectieuses, Hôpital Pellegrin,
Bordeaux, France.

Abstract

Dietary fibre and biproducts of some vegetable extracts (Guar etc.)
are advocated to reduce postprandial hyperglycaemia but there is
some evidence that these may disturb the absorption kinetics of
orally administered drugs. The effect of Guar gum on the digestive
absorption of metformin was tested in 6 healthy subjects given
1700 mg of metformin with a standardised meal. Metformin blood
levels showed that when given together with Guar there was a
reduction in the absorption rate over the first 6 hours. These
findings suggest that combination therapy may diminish the
anti-hyperglycaemic action of metformin.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> You all probably already know that guar gum interferes with
> metformin, but in case you didn't:
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2722133
>
> Horm Metab Res. 1989 Feb;21(2):81-3.
> The influence of Guar gum on absorption of metformin from
> the gut in healthy volunteers.
>
> Gin H, Orgerie MB, Aubertin J.
>
> Clinique Médicale et des maladies infectieuses, Hôpital Pellegrin,
> Bordeaux, France.
>
> Abstract
>
> Dietary fibre and biproducts of some vegetable extracts (Guar etc.)
> are advocated to reduce postprandial hyperglycaemia but there is
> some evidence that these may disturb the absorption kinetics of
> orally administered drugs. The effect of Guar gum on the digestive
> absorption of metformin was tested in 6 healthy subjects given
> 1700 mg of metformin with a standardised meal. Metformin blood
> levels showed that when given together with Guar there was a
> reduction in the absorption rate over the first 6 hours. These
> findings suggest that combination therapy may diminish the
> anti-hyperglycaemic action of metformin.

Never heard that before but... Don't eat guar gum either. I think there is
some other thickener that has little to no carbs in it but not sure what it
is.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I've never had a issue with it personally..however I dont use it all that
often either..its a wonderful thickener when combined with unflavored
gelatin in Asian sauces for example its the same silky/glossy look and
mouth feel as corn starch..I love it.

KROM

"Todd" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/21/2013 12:03 PM, KROM wrote:
> I've never had a issue with it personally..however I dont use it all
> that often either..its a wonderful thickener when combined with
> unflavored gelatin in Asian sauces for example its the same
> silky/glossy look and mouth feel as corn starch..I love it.
>
> KROM

What would you substitute?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I dont..lol..I use it with no problems.

but xanthan gum and heavy cream thicken nice as well

KROM

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 04/21/2013 12:03 PM, KROM wrote:
> I've never had a issue with it personally..however I dont use it all
> that often either..its a wonderful thickener when combined with
> unflavored gelatin in Asian sauces for example its the same
> silky/glossy look and mouth feel as corn starch..I love it.
>
> KROM

What would you substitute?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/22/2013 11:27 AM, KROM wrote:
> xanthan gum

Seems like a "go":
http://www.drugs.com/imprints/143-12958.html

Metformin hydrochloride extended-release 750 mg
Inactive Ingredients:
xanthan gum
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/21/2013 12:03 PM, KROM wrote:
> I've never had a issue with it personally..however I dont use it all
> that often either..its a wonderful thickener when combined with
> unflavored gelatin in Asian sauces for example its the same
> silky/glossy look and mouth feel as corn starch..I love it.
>
> KROM

Hi Krom,

It occurs to me that there is a little Guar Gum in my Trader
Joe's cream cheese. Doesn't seem to cause any problems with
my Met. It also occurs to me that spacing out my Met and any
Guar Gum shouldn't be a problem, as long as I keep the Guar
low.

Now for the hard part, since you have made sauces with this
before, what did lady do wrong over on Swanson's web site (so
I don't repeat her mistake):

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/bobs...r-gum-8-oz-pkg

Bob forgot to include directions on how to use it as
a thickener. Sure, there are a couple of recipes on
the bag, which is fine if you're planning on using it
to bake with---but what if you want to use it to
thicken gravy? The thought did occur to me that perhaps
you can't use it in this way---but again, it would have
been nice to see something on the bag about this. I
tried to use it like cornstarch by mixing up a slurry,
and wound up with a huge, hard lump in the bowl. So
"Plan B" was to try again, this time using it as one
would use xanthan gum in a slurry for thickening...mainly,
by using a very small amount a bit at a time, mixing
like crazy. It performed somewhat better this time but,
when added to the gravy it ended up in a bunch of lumps
floating on the top.

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/22/2013 03:21 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 04/22/2013 11:27 AM, KROM wrote:
>> xanthan gum

> Seems like a "go":
> http://www.drugs.com/imprints/143-12958.html
>
> Metformin hydrochloride extended-release 750 mg
> Inactive Ingredients:
> xanthan gum

Ooops, forgot. Thank you!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 04/21/2013 12:03 PM, KROM wrote:
: > I've never had a issue with it personally..however I don?t use it all
: > that often either..it?s a wonderful thickener when combined with
: > unflavored gelatin in Asian sauces for example it?s the same
: > silky/glossy look and mouth feel as corn starch..I love it.
: >
[...]

I just thought to meniton that I have never thickened gravies like sith
roasts or turkey, etc. this is not just because of diabetes but because
that is how my mother, a great cook, did gravies. We always had lovely
flavorful pan gravies tht were thin, usually full of onions , herbs and
spices the dishes had been cooked with and skimmed of much fo the fat. We
never had thouse flour gravies. Often dry wine makes a delicious liquid
to use to get the scrapings off the roasting pan that so flavor the gravy.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/22/2013 06:26 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 04/21/2013 12:03 PM, KROM wrote:
> : > I've never had a issue with it personally..however I don?t use it all
> : > that often either..it?s a wonderful thickener when combined with
> : > unflavored gelatin in Asian sauces for example it?s the same
> : > silky/glossy look and mouth feel as corn starch..I love it.
> : >
> : > KROM
>
> : Hi Krom,
>
> : It occurs to me that there is a little Guar Gum in my Trader
> : Joe's cream cheese. Doesn't seem to cause any problems with
> : my Met. It also occurs to me that spacing out my Met and any
> : Guar Gum shouldn't be a problem, as long as I keep the Guar
> : low.
>
> : Now for the hard part, since you have made sauces with this
> : before, what did lady do wrong over on Swanson's web site (so
> : I don't repeat her mistake):
>
> : https://www.swansonvitamins.com/bobs...r-gum-8-oz-pkg
>
> : Bob forgot to include directions on how to use it as
> : a thickener. Sure, there are a couple of recipes on
> : the bag, which is fine if you're planning on using it
> : to bake with---but what if you want to use it to
> : thicken gravy? The thought did occur to me that perhaps
> : you can't use it in this way---but again, it would have
> : been nice to see something on the bag about this. I
> : tried to use it like cornstarch by mixing up a slurry,
> : and wound up with a huge, hard lump in the bowl. So
> : "Plan B" was to try again, this time using it as one
> : would use xanthan gum in a slurry for thickening...mainly,
> : by using a very small amount a bit at a time, mixing
> : like crazy. It performed somewhat better this time but,
> : when added to the gravy it ended up in a bunch of lumps
> : floating on the top.
>
> : Many thanks,
> : -T
>
> I just thought to meniton that I have never thickened gravies like sith
> roasts or turkey, etc. this is not just because of diabetes but because
> that is how my mother, a great cook, did gravies. We always had lovely
> flavorful pan gravies tht were thin, usually full of onions , herbs and
> spices the dishes had been cooked with and skimmed of much fo the fat. We
> never had thouse flour gravies. Often dry wine makes a delicious liquid
> to use to get the scrapings off the roasting pan that so flavor the gravy.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Hmmmm. Au jus [1]. Thank you!

-T

1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_jus

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/22/2013 06:56 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 04/22/2013 06:26 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>> Todd > wrote:
>> : On 04/21/2013 12:03 PM, KROM wrote:
>> : > I've never had a issue with it personally..however I don?t use it all
>> : > that often either..it?s a wonderful thickener when combined with
>> : > unflavored gelatin in Asian sauces for example it?s the same
>> : > silky/glossy look and mouth feel as corn starch..I love it.
>> : >
>> : > KROM
>>
>> : Hi Krom,
>>
>> : It occurs to me that there is a little Guar Gum in my Trader
>> : Joe's cream cheese. Doesn't seem to cause any problems with
>> : my Met. It also occurs to me that spacing out my Met and any
>> : Guar Gum shouldn't be a problem, as long as I keep the Guar
>> : low.
>>
>> : Now for the hard part, since you have made sauces with this
>> : before, what did lady do wrong over on Swanson's web site (so
>> : I don't repeat her mistake):
>>
>> : https://www.swansonvitamins.com/bobs...r-gum-8-oz-pkg
>>
>> : Bob forgot to include directions on how to use it as
>> : a thickener. Sure, there are a couple of recipes on
>> : the bag, which is fine if you're planning on using it
>> : to bake with---but what if you want to use it to
>> : thicken gravy? The thought did occur to me that perhaps
>> : you can't use it in this way---but again, it would have
>> : been nice to see something on the bag about this. I
>> : tried to use it like cornstarch by mixing up a slurry,
>> : and wound up with a huge, hard lump in the bowl. So
>> : "Plan B" was to try again, this time using it as one
>> : would use xanthan gum in a slurry for thickening...mainly,
>> : by using a very small amount a bit at a time, mixing
>> : like crazy. It performed somewhat better this time but,
>> : when added to the gravy it ended up in a bunch of lumps
>> : floating on the top.
>>
>> : Many thanks,
>> : -T
>>
>> I just thought to meniton that I have never thickened gravies like sith
>> roasts or turkey, etc. this is not just because of diabetes but because
>> that is how my mother, a great cook, did gravies. We always had lovely
>> flavorful pan gravies tht were thin, usually full of onions , herbs and
>> spices the dishes had been cooked with and skimmed of much fo the
>> fat. We
>> never had thouse flour gravies. Often dry wine makes a delicious
>> liquid
>> to use to get the scrapings off the roasting pan that so flavor the
>> gravy.
>>
>> Wendy
>>

> Hi Wendy,
>
> Hmmmm. Au jus [1]. Thank you!
>
> -T
>
> 1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_jus

Hi Wendy,

I am planning on using turkey breast meat cutlets. The
leftovers in the pan will mainly be butter, olive oil, turkey
browning, lots of yummy herbs. Unfortunately, no Au_jus
to speak of. Rats.

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: >>
[...]

Why not have a thinkly aliced onion or whatever solor you have around
under those turkey cutlets? then you should havebrown stuff stuck on the
pan, the basis for any gravy, thick or thin. use a liquid, chicken stock,
left-over wine, water and powdered boullion(think of as flavored salt) to
scrape all tht off and you have your unthickened gravy. If you put in too
much liquid, no problem, just let it boil down until it tastes good, but
WATCH IT all the time.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/23/2013 8:18 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : >>
> : >> I just thought to meniton that I have never thickened gravies like sith
> : >> roasts or turkey, etc. this is not just because of diabetes but because
> : >> that is how my mother, a great cook, did gravies. We always had lovely
> : >> flavorful pan gravies tht were thin, usually full of onions , herbs and
> : >> spices the dishes had been cooked with and skimmed of much fo the
> : >> fat. We
> : >> never had thouse flour gravies. Often dry wine makes a delicious
> : >> liquid
> : >> to use to get the scrapings off the roasting pan that so flavor the
> : >> gravy.
> : >>
> : >> Wendy
> : >>
> : >
> : > Hi Wendy,
> : >
> : > Hmmmm. Au jus [1]. Thank you!
> : >
> : > -T
> : >
> : > 1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_jus
>

> : Hi Wendy,
>
> : I am planning on using turkey breast meat cutlets. The
> : leftovers in the pan will mainly be butter, olive oil, turkey
> : browning, lots of yummy herbs. Unfortunately, no Au_jus
> : to speak of. Rats.
>
> : -T
>
> Why not have a thinkly aliced onion or whatever solor you have around
> under those turkey cutlets? then you should havebrown stuff stuck on the
> pan, the basis for any gravy, thick or thin. use a liquid, chicken stock,
> left-over wine, water and powdered boullion(think of as flavored salt) to
> scrape all tht off and you have your unthickened gravy. If you put in too
> much liquid, no problem, just let it boil down until it tastes good, but
> WATCH IT all the time.
>
> Wendy

Here's something I do to create a gravy or sauce. If I have cooked the
meat or poultry with a lot of veggies and liquid, like a pot roast with
onion, celery and carrots, I go at the veggies and liquid with my
immersion blender. The cooked veggies give body to the the braising
liquid and make a super gravy with no flour or thickener.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

it was a trial and error thing for me..but a little goes a long way..I also
dislike it on its own for mouth feel..but combined with gelatin its great.

I'm talking a 1/2 tsp. combined with one tsp. gelatin to work.

but your tastes may differ.

KROM

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 04/21/2013 12:03 PM, KROM wrote:
> I've never had a issue with it personally..however I dont use it all
> that often either..its a wonderful thickener when combined with
> unflavored gelatin in Asian sauces for example its the same
> silky/glossy look and mouth feel as corn starch..I love it.
>
> KROM

Hi Krom,

It occurs to me that there is a little Guar Gum in my Trader
Joe's cream cheese. Doesn't seem to cause any problems with
my Met. It also occurs to me that spacing out my Met and any
Guar Gum shouldn't be a problem, as long as I keep the Guar
low.

Now for the hard part, since you have made sauces with this
before, what did lady do wrong over on Swanson's web site (so
I don't repeat her mistake):

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/bobs...r-gum-8-oz-pkg

Bob forgot to include directions on how to use it as
a thickener. Sure, there are a couple of recipes on
the bag, which is fine if you're planning on using it
to bake with---but what if you want to use it to
thicken gravy? The thought did occur to me that perhaps
you can't use it in this way---but again, it would have
been nice to see something on the bag about this. I
tried to use it like cornstarch by mixing up a slurry,
and wound up with a huge, hard lump in the bowl. So
"Plan B" was to try again, this time using it as one
would use xanthan gum in a slurry for thickening...mainly,
by using a very small amount a bit at a time, mixing
like crazy. It performed somewhat better this time but,
when added to the gravy it ended up in a bunch of lumps
floating on the top.

Many thanks,
-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/23/2013 11:22 AM, KROM wrote:
> it was a trial and error thing for me..but a little goes a long way..I
> also dislike it on its own for mouth feel..but combined with gelatin its
> great.
>
> I'm talking a 1/2 tsp. combined with one tsp. gelatin to work.
>
> but your tastes may differ.
>

> KROM

Thank you!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/23/2013 06:18 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : >>
> : >> I just thought to meniton that I have never thickened gravies like sith
> : >> roasts or turkey, etc. this is not just because of diabetes but because
> : >> that is how my mother, a great cook, did gravies. We always had lovely
> : >> flavorful pan gravies tht were thin, usually full of onions , herbs and
> : >> spices the dishes had been cooked with and skimmed of much fo the
> : >> fat. We
> : >> never had thouse flour gravies. Often dry wine makes a delicious
> : >> liquid
> : >> to use to get the scrapings off the roasting pan that so flavor the
> : >> gravy.
> : >>
> : >> Wendy
> : >>
> : >
> : > Hi Wendy,
> : >
> : > Hmmmm. Au jus [1]. Thank you!
> : >
> : > -T
> : >
> : > 1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_jus
>

> : Hi Wendy,
>
> : I am planning on using turkey breast meat cutlets. The
> : leftovers in the pan will mainly be butter, olive oil, turkey
> : browning, lots of yummy herbs. Unfortunately, no Au_jus
> : to speak of. Rats.
>
> : -T
>
> Why not have a thinkly aliced onion or whatever solor you have around
> under those turkey cutlets? then you should havebrown stuff stuck on the
> pan, the basis for any gravy, thick or thin. use a liquid, chicken stock,
> left-over wine, water and powdered boullion(think of as flavored salt) to
> scrape all tht off and you have your unthickened gravy. If you put in too
> much liquid, no problem, just let it boil down until it tastes good, but
> WATCH IT all the time.
>
> Wendy

Thank you!