Old 23-03-2013, 02:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Oh No! Cilantro!

Hi All,

Okay, it rhymes. :-)

I have been trying to come up with a hand made salsa.

Problem: my wife is *frighteningly* allergic to cilantro
(anything in the Coriander family, which includes cumin).
And all the salsa recipes I have seen use cilantro.

What would you substitute? Parsley?

Many thanks,
-T

Okay. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate anything
that hurts anyone I love. But, I have always thought
cilantro started out with a nasty aftertaste and I have
always hated it.

Old 23-03-2013, 02:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

Old 23-03-2013, 02:27 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
of me), what would you substitute?

Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
leaves, and Cumin the seeds.

-T
Old 23-03-2013, 03:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

Okay, it rhymes. :-)

I have been trying to come up with a hand made salsa.

Problem: my wife is *frighteningly* allergic to cilantro
(anything in the Coriander family, which includes cumin).
And all the salsa recipes I have seen use cilantro.

What would you substitute? Parsley?

Many thanks,
-T

Okay. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate anything
that hurts anyone I love. But, I have always thought
cilantro started out with a nasty aftertaste and I have
always hated it.

Yes, parsley. This is a great herb that has been trivialized
by over-use. It is a lovely flavor, very akin to cilantro and
works beautifully in salsas and in Asian cooking. Try it,
start with the equivalent quantity of the cilantro, go from
there.
Cilantro no, no
Parsley, really.

pavane

Old 23-03-2013, 03:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:27:51 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
of me), what would you substitute?

Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
leaves, and Cumin the seeds.

-T

Coriander (Coriandrum sativum) and cumin (Cuminum cyminum) are two
different herbs.

Ross.

Old 23-03-2013, 03:33 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

[email protected] wrote in message
news
[...]

Agree they are different. Cilantro is the plant, meaning the leaves or
the roots (common in Asian cooking); coriander refers to the seeds.
But...I have seen different customs and usages. Never cumin, though.

pavane

Old 23-03-2013, 03:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/22/2013 08:24 PM, [email protected] wrote:
[...]

Hi Ross,

You are correct. She is allergic to both. Cumin is not
nearly as scary as Coriander/Cilantro.

What would you subsitute?

-T

Old 23-03-2013, 03:37 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you
like
spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
of me), what would you substitute?

Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
leaves, and Cumin the seeds.

I don't think it needs a substitution personally, just drop it from a
recipe.

Old 23-03-2013, 03:38 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/22/2013 08:35 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

Figured out where I went wrong. The reference said:

The coriander comes from the leaf of the cilantro
while the cumin comes from a seed

I read "from 'the' seed" instead of "a seed". Oooops.

Old 23-03-2013, 03:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/22/2013 08:37 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
of me), what would you substitute?

Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
leaves, and Cumin the seeds.

I don't think it needs a substitution personally, just drop it from a
recipe.

Hi Oz,

Diced tomatoes, dices onions, line juice, salt pepper, dash of Chipotle
sauce? What do you think?

-T
Old 23-03-2013, 03:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/22/2013 08:24 PM, pavane wrote:
Yes, parsley. This is a great herb that has been trivialized
by over-use. It is a lovely flavor,

Hi Pavane,

I catch my wife eating parsley straight at times.

Back when I could eat bread, I use to love to fry
bread in butter, EVOO, garlic powder, and parsley.

The fresh stuff sure tastes better than the dried
stuff. 99 cents for a bunch of fresh organic here.
So far, my bunch has lasted two weeks in the refrig.

-T
Old 23-03-2013, 04:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...

[...]

------------------------------------

Could work, experiment a little. If you use parsley, I think I would go
for the continental, flat-leaf variety.

Old 23-03-2013, 05:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

Okay, it rhymes. :-)

I have been trying to come up with a hand made salsa.

Problem: my wife is *frighteningly* allergic to cilantro
(anything in the Coriander family, which includes cumin).
And all the salsa recipes I have seen use cilantro.

What would you substitute? Parsley?

Many thanks,
-T

Okay. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate anything
that hurts anyone I love. But, I have always thought
cilantro started out with a nasty aftertaste and I have
always hated it.

I love cilantro but I do know a woman with a life threatening allergy to it.
And she's Latino!

Salsa just means "sauce". And there are many different kinds. They don't
all contain cilantro or even tomatoes! I don't know what kind of salsa you
are looking for. But here is one from Alton Brown:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Says "
a.. Fresh scallions, cilantro or parsley, to taste."