Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Mission Carb Balance Tortillas

I eat tacos over a plate and use a spoon to get the broken parts. I eat
toast pizza with a steak knife and fork which pretty much proves I'm
cultured.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/27/2012 7:48 AM, Colt T wrote:
> I eat tacos over a plate and use a spoon to get the broken parts. I eat
> toast pizza with a steak knife and fork which pretty much proves I'm
> cultured.

Here on the Texas-Mexican border the only place to get crispy taco
shells is in the supermarket or at Taco Bell. The locals make
everything into a taco and use soft tortillas, mostly flour, though some
fillings go better with corn.

On rare occasions I want a hard shell taco so I spray the Mission Carb
Balance ones with olive oil from a Misto and hang them over the oven
rack to toast them.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 8/27/2012 7:48 AM, Colt T wrote:
>> I eat tacos over a plate and use a spoon to get the broken parts. I eat
>> toast pizza with a steak knife and fork which pretty much proves I'm
>> cultured.
>>

> Here on the Texas-Mexican border the only place to get crispy taco shells
> is in the supermarket or at Taco Bell. The locals make everything into a
> taco and use soft tortillas, mostly flour, though some fillings go better
> with corn.
>
> On rare occasions I want a hard shell taco so I spray the Mission Carb
> Balance ones with olive oil from a Misto and hang them over the oven rack
> to toast them.
>

> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Janet here in AZ our tacos are crispy....I think it is Sonoran influence. In
the old days, when I was a youngster the Mexican Moms, who invited us to
their house, would pat a hamburger patty on half of the corn tortilla put it
in hot oil, fold it in half after the shell softens , then fry it until it
is crispy. Now days everybody uses already made shells. When I was in Jr
High , I was taught to make tacos the old way....a bit messy but very
tasty...even cold in the mornings for breakfast...LOL!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> On 8/27/2012 7:48 AM, Colt T wrote:
>>> I eat tacos over a plate and use a spoon to get the broken parts. I
>>> eat toast pizza with a steak knife and fork which pretty much
>>> proves I'm cultured.
>>>

>> Here on the Texas-Mexican border the only place to get crispy taco
>> shells is in the supermarket or at Taco Bell. The locals make
>> everything into a taco and use soft tortillas, mostly flour, though
>> some fillings go better with corn.
>>
>> On rare occasions I want a hard shell taco so I spray the Mission
>> Carb Balance ones with olive oil from a Misto and hang them over the
>> oven rack to toast them.
>>

>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
>>

> Janet here in AZ our tacos are crispy....I think it is Sonoran
> influence. In the old days, when I was a youngster the Mexican Moms,
> who invited us to their house, would pat a hamburger patty on half of
> the corn tortilla put it in hot oil, fold it in half after the shell
> softens , then fry it until it is crispy. Now days everybody uses
> already made shells. When I was in Jr High , I was taught to make
> tacos the old way....a bit messy but very tasty...even cold in the
> mornings for breakfast...LOL!

When I was a kid I mostly only knew of the crisp ones. Until Taco Time
opened. It's a local chain. Good, fresh food, made in house. They give
you a choice of crisp or soft. But unlike a street taco, they do not use
two tortillas for the soft ones. And it's IMO Americanized.

If you go to a chain restaurant you are most likely to get the crisp ones.
There is one restaurant here called Yucatan that serves crisp ones that are
not made using the standard pre-made shells. They fry their own. I love
them. Angela hates them. They're very greasy so not something I get often.
We used to have a fast food chain called Taco John's that did theirs the
same way. I think they are still in existance. Just not in this area.

But probably my favorite taco ever would be the one from Jack In The Box. I
haven't had one of those in many years. You wouldn't want to eat it if you
wanted something that actually tasted like a taco. Ha! They come prefilled
with some kind of beef that is mixed with something...oats? And slices of
cheese food. Then they deep fry them. There is something just really
addictive about those things and they ought to be illegal.