Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Great new (to me) vegetable item on the menu

Other than tacos I make I'll leave the Hispanic food for others, I doubt
I'd like real Mexican tacos. I doubt I'd like most real Italian food
too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Colt T" > wrote in message
> Other than tacos I make I'll leave the Hispanic food for others, I doubt
> I'd like real Mexican tacos. I doubt I'd like most real Italian food
> too.

I love real Mexican tacos, made with shredded beef or shredded chicken. I
had many in Tijuana and they were great. Plus when we were first married dh
worked at an authentic Mexican restaurant and I got those yummy tacos often.
Pretty much spoiled me for the rest.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Colt T wrote:
> Other than tacos I make I'll leave the Hispanic food for others, I
> doubt I'd like real Mexican tacos. I doubt I'd like most real Italian
> food too.

If by real tacos you mean street tacos, they are the best! Of course there
is a great deal of variation as to what you can put in there. The best I've
ever had was some beef that was like pot roast. Or seasoned ground beef
with pico de gallo.

I do not like all Italian food by a long shot. Fish and seafood is very
common in Italy. And I have an extreme dislike for the Easter pie that my
inlaws make. It is not a dessert, but a combination of eggs, meats and
cheeses. They don't use a crust on theirs but most families do. It's just
far too rich for me. I could eat pasta fagioli ever day though. That's a
bean and pasta soup.

I am a very picky eater but I think it just about every ethicity of food I
can find one dish that I like. I don't like most Indian food because of the
seasoning but I do like naan. I don't like the seasoning of most Japanese
food but I do like the plain rice.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> "Colt T" > wrote in message
>> Other than tacos I make I'll leave the Hispanic food for others, I
>> doubt I'd like real Mexican tacos. I doubt I'd like most real
>> Italian food too.
>>

> I love real Mexican tacos, made with shredded beef or shredded
> chicken. I had many in Tijuana and they were great. Plus when we were
> first married dh worked at an authentic Mexican restaurant and I got
> those yummy tacos often. Pretty much spoiled me for the rest.

I like what passes for a taco at most places. The crisp shell with the
meat, shredded lettuce and tomato. Cheese would normally be in there too
but I can't eat it. However... I do not consider that to be a real taco at
all. I do like the real tacos with the double tortillas. There is a little
place that used to be a Taco Bell that sells authentic Mexican food. They
also own a bunch of taco trucks all over the place. The tacos are very
small but they are very good. They do not normally put cheese on them.
Just the meat of your choice (and there are many choices) and some pico de
gallo. They also have a little station with all sorts of pickled vegetables
and condiments for you to add if you wish.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/20/2012 11:53 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Colt T" > wrote in message
>> Other than tacos I make I'll leave the Hispanic food for others, I doubt
>> I'd like real Mexican tacos. I doubt I'd like most real Italian food
>> too.
>>

> I love real Mexican tacos, made with shredded beef or shredded chicken.
> I had many in Tijuana and they were great. Plus when we were first
> married dh worked at an authentic Mexican restaurant and I got those
> yummy tacos often. Pretty much spoiled me for the rest.
>
> Cheri

We do tacos and enchilladas using Mission Carb Balance whole wheat
tortillas. They have a net carb count of 5.

I have little baking dishes that will make a soft tortilla into a hard
shell. I use the Mission Carb Balance tortillas and make these shells
for taco salads.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 8/20/2012 11:53 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Colt T" > wrote in message
>>> Other than tacos I make I'll leave the Hispanic food for others, I doubt
>>> I'd like real Mexican tacos. I doubt I'd like most real Italian food
>>> too.
>>>

>> I love real Mexican tacos, made with shredded beef or shredded chicken.
>> I had many in Tijuana and they were great. Plus when we were first
>> married dh worked at an authentic Mexican restaurant and I got those
>> yummy tacos often. Pretty much spoiled me for the rest.
>>
>> Cheri

> We do tacos and enchilladas using Mission Carb Balance whole wheat
> tortillas. They have a net carb count of 5.
>
> I have little baking dishes that will make a soft tortilla into a hard
> shell. I use the Mission Carb Balance tortillas and make these shells for
> taco salads.
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Yes, I use the Mission Carb Balance too. I really like them for taco salads
too.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I'll make tacos next Tue, cook the ground chuck, pour the grease off,
add the taco seasoning with a little water, heat the shells, put 1/2
slice of singles cheese per taco with medium salsa on top, no lettuce. I
usually get Taco Bell jar medium salsa but Chi Chi medium jar salsa is
ok too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Colt T" > wrote in message
> I'll make tacos next Tue, cook the ground chuck, pour the grease off,
> add the taco seasoning with a little water, heat the shells, put 1/2
> slice of singles cheese per taco with medium salsa on top, no lettuce. I
> usually get Taco Bell jar medium salsa but Chi Chi medium jar salsa is
> ok too.

Singles? Might as well eat the stuff they make at Jack In The Box.

We eat the crisp shells once in a while when they are cheap. But mostly we
prefer the soft ones.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message

I just sauteed some Chayote Squash and ate it. It's really good.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-archive: yes

On 8/22/2012 2:08 PM, Cheri wrote:

> I just sauteed some Chayote Squash and ate it. It's really good.

Where has it been all my life?!

Susan

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> On 8/22/2012 2:08 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
>> I just sauteed some Chayote Squash and ate it. It's really good.
>>

> Where has it been all my life?!
>
> Susan

I know. I will be having it often, thanks for putting me on to it.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Susan" > wrote in message
>> x-no-archive: yes
>>
>> On 8/22/2012 2:08 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>>> I just sauteed some Chayote Squash and ate it. It's really good.
>>>

>> Where has it been all my life?!
>>
>> Susan

> I know. I will be having it often, thanks for putting me on to it.
>
> Cheri

Oh! Choko! I have grown up on them. Everyone knew someone that had a
vine, the vine would grow along a fence for a long way with the chokoes
hanging over neighbour's fences. Mostly we had them boiled in salted
water. They take on the flavour of what they are cooked with. Many made
faux apple pies/crumble etc with. The young, smooth-skinned ones are the
ones to go for.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Susan" > wrote in message
>>> x-no-archive: yes

>>> Where has it been all my life?!
>>>
>>> Susan

>> I know. I will be having it often, thanks for putting me on to it.
>>
>> Cheri

> Oh! Choko! I have grown up on them. Everyone knew someone that had a vine,
> the vine would grow along a fence for a long way with the chokoes hanging
> over neighbour's fences. Mostly we had them boiled in salted water. They
> take on the flavour of what they are cooked with. Many made faux apple
> pies/crumble etc with. The young, smooth-skinned ones are the ones to go
> for.

Yes, I can see that they would be versatile. Really good.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Cheri" > wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
> >>>

> >> I love real Mexican tacos, made with shredded beef or shredded chicken.
> >> I had many in Tijuana and they were great. Plus when we were first
> >> married dh worked at an authentic Mexican restaurant and I got those
> >> yummy tacos often. Pretty much spoiled me for the rest.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > We do tacos and enchilladas using Mission Carb Balance whole wheat
> > tortillas. They have a net carb count of 5.
> >
> > I have little baking dishes that will make a soft tortilla into a hard
> > shell. I use the Mission Carb Balance tortillas and make these shells for
> > taco salads.
> > --
> > Janet Wilder
> > Way-the-heck-south Texas
> > Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

> Yes, I use the Mission Carb Balance too. I really like them for taco salads
> too.
>
> Cheri

OMG

Calories 210/tortilla !!!

Calories from Fat 45

Sodium 510mg/tortilla !!!

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Billy" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Cheri" > wrote:
>
>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...

>> > We do tacos and enchilladas using Mission Carb Balance whole wheat
>> > tortillas. They have a net carb count of 5.
>> >
>> > I have little baking dishes that will make a soft tortilla into a hard
>> > shell. I use the Mission Carb Balance tortillas and make these shells
>> > for
>> > taco salads.
>> > --
>> > Janet Wilder
>> > Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> > Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

>> Yes, I use the Mission Carb Balance too. I really like them for taco
>> salads
>> too.
>>
>> Cheri

> OMG
>
> Calories 210/tortilla !!!
>
> Calories from Fat 45
>
> Sodium 510mg/tortilla !!!

So? I have a tortilla with a taco salad about twice a year, usually just the
taco salad with no tortilla, and don't eat the tortillas that often either.
I'm not afraid of my food at all in reasonable quantities. YMMV

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Cheri" > wrote:

> "Billy" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Cheri" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> >> eb.com...

> >> Yes, I use the Mission Carb Balance too. I really like them for taco
> >> salads
> >> too.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > OMG
> >
> > Calories 210/tortilla !!!
> >
> > Calories from Fat 45
> >
> > Sodium 510mg/tortilla !!!

> So? I have a tortilla with a taco salad about twice a year, usually just the
> taco salad with no tortilla, and don't eat the tortillas that often either.
> I'm not afraid of my food at all in reasonable quantities. YMMV
>
> Cheri

So few? Corn tortillas are a staple of my diet.

If you're not afraid of your food, you must be eating organic.
<http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/>

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
or
E Pluribus Unum
Green Party Nominee Jill Stein & Running Mate, Cheri Honkala
<http://www.democracynow.org/2012/7/13/green_party_nominee_jill_stein_running>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Billy" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Cheri" > wrote:
>
>> "Billy" > wrote in message

>> > OMG
>> >
>> > Calories 210/tortilla !!!
>> >
>> > Calories from Fat 45
>> >
>> > Sodium 510mg/tortilla !!!

>> So? I have a tortilla with a taco salad about twice a year, usually just
>> the
>> taco salad with no tortilla, and don't eat the tortillas that often
>> either.
>> I'm not afraid of my food at all in reasonable quantities. YMMV
>>
>> Cheri

> So few? Corn tortillas are a staple of my diet.

Good for you!

Cheri