Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default I think I have an eating disorder!

This is getting very frustrating. First the lack of appetite and now this.
Right now pretty much nothing sounds good to eat, ever. On the plus side I
do seem to have an appetite sometimes. Sometimes an incredible appetite.
It's as though I can hear my insides squeaking, I feel so empty.

I am having a horrible time coming up with things to eat for meals and
snacks. Breakfast is not such a problem. I just eat toast then and I tend
to eat it as quickly as possible just to get it over with. If I need a
snack between then and dinner (and sometimes I do) then I eat a fruit snack.
That's over with in 3 bites and they do taste good to me so really not a
problem. But soon I'll be out and will have to switch over to Craisins.
Angela was sneaking the fruit snacks so I can't buy them any more.

The problem is with dinner and my bed time snack. No matter what I fix to
eat or order in a restaurant, I just don't want it once I have it. I have
even taken to dishing up smaller portions when at home because I know I
won't be able to eat it all. I take two bites and then this weird sensation
comes over me. I feel like I want to cry. I don't actually cry. I just
get this thought in my mind that I want to cry. And then I feel like I just
want to go to bed and sleep and forget about food. I don't really want to
sleep and most of the time when I get this thought I am not even sleepy or
tired.

The other night this happened in a restaurant. I had a hamburger patty with
lettuce, tomato and onion. This would never be my first choice for a meal
and I don't really like this so much but it is one of the few things I can
eat in a restaurant. As in, I am not intolerant to these foods and I can
digest them. The weird thing is that the food tasted really good to me. I
even commented on how good it was because I didn't think I was going to like
it. But after the two bites I just didn't want to eat any more. I still
felt hungry. But I didn't want to eat it. I had to force myself. And then
I had the French fries which I knew that I had to eat because my BG was a
little on the low side. I really had to force myself to eat those and I
must say that they did taste weird to me. They had some sort of seasoning
on them.

Even foods that I really like, like black bean soup, baked beans, refried
beans, etc. are now difficult for me to eat beyond the second bite.

This all seemed to start up when I stopped taking the Metoclopramide. I
know it speeds up digestion and I also know that it does something to the
dopamine in the body. It was originally designed to treat depression (I
think) but it failed miserably at that. They did notice that it sped up
digestion so it is used for that and also for migraines. Although oddly the
information I read about it said it could also cause migraines.

I did read that the withdrawals from this med can be brutal but nobody
really spelled out what would/could happen when you withdraw from it.

Right now I just wish that I never had to eat again. If I could get all of
my nutrition in a pill, I would be very happy. And although I do take a lot
of supplements, I know I am not getting enough calories from them. Plus
they wouldn't keep my BG up and unlike many diabetics if I don't eat enough
carbs, I go hypo.

Logically, my mind is telling me that this is sort of like depression and
yet... It is very fleeting. I seem to get these feelings only when I have
to eat. I had similar feelings when I was pregnant but then I did burst
into tears when faced with a meal mainly because of the amount of food I was
supposed to eat when pregnant. There was just no way I could ever eat that
much! Breakfast was fine because that was the smallest meal of the day.
But lunch was bad and dinner was sheer torture. Plus I was supposed to eat
snacks that I didn't want.

When I was pregnant I would spent a good two hours crying while trying to
eat the food. Now I do not cry. I just have thoughts that I should. I
almost always wind up not being able to eat all of the food even with
reduced portions. And then once I get rid of the remaining food, I feel
fine. Of course eating less food is causing problems with a few hypos. I
have been solving this by eating gummy bears which I don't particularly like
but neither do I dislike them.

When I am not eating a meal or snack, I feel fine. I do not feel like I am
depressed at all. But when it's time to eat, it isn't pretty.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Monday, August 6, 2012 10:02:24 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> [...]
>
> supposed to eat when pregnant. There was just no way I could ever eat that
>
> much! Breakfast was fine because that was the smallest meal of the day.
>
> But lunch was bad and dinner was sheer torture. Plus I was supposed to eat
>
> snacks that I didn't want.
>

> When I was pregnant I would spent a good two hours crying while trying to
>
> eat the food. Now I do not cry. I just have thoughts that I should. I
>
> almost always wind up not being able to eat all of the food even with
>
> reduced portions. And then once I get rid of the remaining food, I feel
>
> fine. Of course eating less food is causing problems with a few hypos. I
>
> have been solving this by eating gummy bears which I don't particularly like
>
> but neither do I dislike them.
>

> When I am not eating a meal or snack, I feel fine. I do not feel like I am
>
> depressed at all. But when it's time to eat, it isn't pretty.

Some links related to Metoclopramide withdrawal:

Reglan - Side Effects and Withdrawal Symptoms
http://www.tardivedyskinesia.com/reg...de-effects.php

Withdrawal effects of metoclopramide

Metoclopramide
http://www.drugs.com/metoclopramide.html

Reglan Withdrawal
http://www.healthcentral.com/acid-re...ithdrawal.html

Reglan Oral Uses and How to Use
http://www.healthcentral.com/acid-re...uses?ic=506048

Reglan: How to Stop
http://www.ehow.com/how_7334417_reglan_-stop.html

METOCLOPRAMIDE
http://www.wellsphere.com/digestive-...pramide/696523

Reglan is one brand of Metoclopramide.

Summary of what I found:
Eating disorders not mentioned.
Taking too much of it or for too long is likely to cause muscle control disorders, such as tardive dyskinesia.
Stopping use of it can cause dizziness, nervousness, and headaches if the dose is not reduced gradually.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> [...]

> http://www.tardivedyskinesia.com/reg...de-effects.php
>
> Withdrawal effects of metoclopramide
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1002885/
>
> Metoclopramide
> http://www.drugs.com/metoclopramide.html
>
> Reglan Withdrawal
> http://www.healthcentral.com/acid-re...ithdrawal.html
>
> Reglan Oral Uses and How to Use
> http://www.healthcentral.com/acid-re...uses?ic=506048
>
> Reglan: How to Stop
> http://www.ehow.com/how_7334417_reglan_-stop.html
>
> METOCLOPRAMIDE
> http://www.wellsphere.com/digestive-...pramide/696523
>

> Reglan is one brand of Metoclopramide.
>
> Summary of what I found:
> Eating disorders not mentioned.
> Taking too much of it or for too long is likely to cause muscle control
> disorders, such as tardive dyskinesia.
> Stopping use of it can cause dizziness, nervousness, and headaches if the

Yeah well... I didn't have that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]

>> http://www.tardivedyskinesia.com/reg...de-effects.php
>>
>> Withdrawal effects of metoclopramide
>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1002885/
>>
>> Metoclopramide
>> http://www.drugs.com/metoclopramide.html
>>
>> Reglan Withdrawal
>> http://www.healthcentral.com/acid-re...ithdrawal.html
>>
>> Reglan Oral Uses and How to Use
>> http://www.healthcentral.com/acid-re...uses?ic=506048
>>
>> Reglan: How to Stop
>> http://www.ehow.com/how_7334417_reglan_-stop.html
>>
>> METOCLOPRAMIDE
>> http://www.wellsphere.com/digestive-...pramide/696523
>>

>> Reglan is one brand of Metoclopramide.
>>
>> Summary of what I found:
>> Eating disorders not mentioned.
>> Taking too much of it or for too long is likely to cause muscle control
>> disorders, such as tardive dyskinesia.
>> Stopping use of it can cause dizziness, nervousness, and headaches if the

Julie, I have recently got a Vitamix. I was having the problem of always
being hungry & eating the wrong things & too much. This has really helped
me! I have fruits & vegetables blended up into a green smoothie. I have
one or two almost every day. Me b/g's are coming down, I don't feel bloated
all the time. My vision has improved too. I am lovin' it!! If I don't
have time to cook, I make & smoothie & take it along with me.
Nana

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nana.Wilson" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Some links related to Metoclopramide withdrawal:
>>>
>>> Reglan - Side Effects and Withdrawal Symptoms
>>> http://www.tardivedyskinesia.com/reg...de-effects.php
>>>
>>> Withdrawal effects of metoclopramide
>>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1002885/
>>>
>>> Metoclopramide
>>> http://www.drugs.com/metoclopramide.html
>>>
>>> Reglan Withdrawal
>>> http://www.healthcentral.com/acid-re...ithdrawal.html
>>>
>>> Reglan Oral Uses and How to Use
>>> http://www.healthcentral.com/acid-re...uses?ic=506048
>>>
>>> Reglan: How to Stop
>>> http://www.ehow.com/how_7334417_reglan_-stop.html
>>>
>>> METOCLOPRAMIDE
>>> http://www.wellsphere.com/digestive-...pramide/696523
>>>

>>> Reglan is one brand of Metoclopramide.
>>>
>>> Summary of what I found:
>>> Eating disorders not mentioned.
>>> Taking too much of it or for too long is likely to cause muscle control
>>> disorders, such as tardive dyskinesia.
>>> Stopping use of it can cause dizziness, nervousness, and headaches if
>>> the dose is not reduced gradually.

>> Yeah well... I didn't have that.

> Julie, I have recently got a Vitamix. I was having the problem of always
> being hungry & eating the wrong things & too much. This has really helped
> me! I have fruits & vegetables blended up into a green smoothie. I have
> one or two almost every day. Me b/g's are coming down, I don't feel
> bloated all the time. My vision has improved too. I am lovin' it!! If I
> don't have time to cook, I make & smoothie & take it along with me.
> Nana

Yikes! That is one thing that would never get past my lips. I can not
stand the texture of a smoothie. Angela loves them. If that is all I had
to eat I would just starve to death because I could never swallow it. I
also have a severe dislike for fruit. Especially the type that you would
put in a smoothie. But I'm glad it works for you.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
[...]

This is probably something you really need to discuss with your Dr.
Obviously something is going on with you and we probably can't help you to
much. Have you been loosing weight too?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> [...]
> snacks that I didn't want.
>
> When I was pregnant I would spent a good two hours crying while trying to
> eat the food. Now I do not cry. I just have thoughts that I should. I
> almost always wind up not being able to eat all of the food even with
> reduced portions. And then once I get rid of the remaining food, I feel
> fine. Of course eating less food is causing problems with a few hypos. I
> have been solving this by eating gummy bears which I don't particularly
> like
> but neither do I dislike them.
>

> When I am not eating a meal or snack, I feel fine. I do not feel like I
> am
> depressed at all. But when it's time to eat, it isn't pretty.
>
> This is probably something you really need to discuss with your Dr.
> Obviously something is going on with you and we probably can't help you to

I had lost some weight then a couple more pounds but I have put those two
pounds back on. BG was up before bed last night. Down this morning but
then up over 200 after breakfast. Only down to 191 before dinner.

I doubt that my Dr. could be of any help. And I don't see him for a few
months. I am pretty sure that it has to do with stopping the
Metoclopramide.

I don't know if I need to amend my diet again or not. I hope not. With my
husband leaving soon I want Angela and I to be able to eat as much of the
same foods as we can. So that I don't have to buy things like two loaves of
bread at a time of differing kinds. But my current diet is pretty high on
the fiber scale which I know is good for most diabetics but usually not good
for people with gastroparesis. It could be that my digestion is slowed
enough that it is affecting me. Or... I suppose it could be the addition
of cinnamon to my diet.

It has been many years now since I tried the cinnamon. When I tried it
before, it seemed to raise my BG and my Dr. told me to stop it. I was
pilling it myself and it was having the side effect of making my mouth taste
like cinnamon all the time. So there were things that I didn't mind eating.
Like toast or cottage cheese. Because the cinnamon seemed to mix in. But
it was causing aversions to other foods that I do not want mixed with
cinnamon. I do not notice that effect this time around but these were
purchased capsules. I no longer have to pill them myself.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> I doubt that my Dr. could be of any help. And I don't see him for a few
> months. I am pretty sure that it has to do with stopping the
> Metoclopramide.

I love it. She's ill but doesn't think her doctor can help. She's entitled to
some of the finest medical help in the world and isn't even interested. It's not
like she's asked for help and disagrees with it, she's just rejected the
possibility of help. Once more demonstrating her masochism
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/6/2012 10:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> [...]
> supposed to eat when pregnant. There was just no way I could ever eat that
> much! Breakfast was fine because that was the smallest meal of the day.
> But lunch was bad and dinner was sheer torture. Plus I was supposed to eat
> snacks that I didn't want.
>
> When I was pregnant I would spent a good two hours crying while trying to
> eat the food. Now I do not cry. I just have thoughts that I should. I
> almost always wind up not being able to eat all of the food even with
> reduced portions. And then once I get rid of the remaining food, I feel
> fine. Of course eating less food is causing problems with a few hypos. I
> have been solving this by eating gummy bears which I don't particularly like
> but neither do I dislike them.
>
> When I am not eating a meal or snack, I feel fine. I do not feel like I am
> depressed at all. But when it's time to eat, it isn't pretty.

I did a Google search on Metoclopramide withdrawal. Do any of these
look useful?

Metoclopramide
http://www.drugs.com/metoclopramide.html
After you stop taking metoclopramide, you may have unpleasant withdrawal
symptoms such as headache, dizziness, or nervousness.

Reglan - Side Effects and Withdrawal Symptoms
http://www.tardivedyskinesia.com/reg...de-effects.php
mentions dry mouth as a possibility - does drinking a little of some
liquid help?

Reglan Oral Uses and How to Use
http://www.healthcentral.com/acid-re...uses?ic=506048

Reglan: How to Stop
http://www.ehow.com/how_7334417_reglan_-stop.html
mentions that gradually cutting down may be less unpleasant than
suddenly stopping

Metoclopramide Tablets
http://www.drugs.com/pro/metoclopramide-tablets.html

Reglan® Reviews
http://www.adrugrecall.com/reglan/reviews.html

I didn't see anything that fits you description well, but you may still
want to read the descriptions given to see if someone else might
describe it differently.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> [...]
>> almost always wind up not being able to eat all of the food even with
>> reduced portions. And then once I get rid of the remaining food, I feel
>> fine. Of course eating less food is causing problems with a few hypos.
>> have been solving this by eating gummy bears which I don't particularly
>> like
>> but neither do I dislike them.
>>
>> When I am not eating a meal or snack, I feel fine. I do not feel like I
>> am
>> depressed at all. But when it's time to eat, it isn't pretty.

> I did a Google search on Metoclopramide withdrawal. Do any of these
> look useful?
>
> Metoclopramide
> http://www.drugs.com/metoclopramide.html
> After you stop taking metoclopramide, you may have unpleasant withdrawal
> symptoms such as headache, dizziness, or nervousness.

I didn't have any of those problems.

> Reglan - Side Effects and Withdrawal Symptoms
> http://www.tardivedyskinesia.com/reg...de-effects.php
> mentions dry mouth as a possibility - does drinking a little of some
> liquid help?

Nope. Never had a dry mouth.

> Reglan Oral Uses and How to Use
> http://www.healthcentral.com/acid-re...uses?ic=506048
>
> Reglan: How to Stop
> http://www.ehow.com/how_7334417_reglan_-stop.html
> mentions that gradually cutting down may be less unpleasant than
> suddenly stopping

Couldn't do that since I was only taking one pill per day. I guess most
people have to take it with every meal but... My vomiting when it came,
only came in the middle of the night to the early morning. So I was taking
it at bedtime.

> Metoclopramide Tablets
> http://www.drugs.com/pro/metoclopramide-tablets.html
>
> Reglan® Reviews
> http://www.adrugrecall.com/reglan/reviews.html
>
> I didn't see anything that fits you description well, but you may still
> want to read the descriptions given to see if someone else might
> describe it differently.

Nope. Already did that.