Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ping Julie - more omega-3 sources

Julie - I've found a few more sources of omega-3 for you to
consider (I've forgotten some of those we've already discussed).

First, grass-fed cows are able to turn the ALA form they get get
from grass into the EPA and DHA forms more important to humans.
Also, they are sometimes fed fish oils to improve their health.
This should make some dairy products contain omega-3, especially
those dairy products higher in fat such as full-fat milk, cream,
and butter. However, you'll want to read the label to see which
ones were made high in omega-3 by adding fish oils to the milk.

> http://www.stonyfield.com/healthy-pl...er-cow-project

> http://www.eatwild.com/articles/superhealthy.html

> http://www.nutraceuticalsworld.com/c...-omega-3-milk/

> http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/ome...atty_acids.htm

> http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/an264

Bison are also able to turn ALA into EPA and DHA. However,
bison products are hard to find.

Purslane is one of the vegetable sources especially high in EPA, and
also contains some DHA. Often used as a salad vegetable in Europe;
not so often in the US.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portulaca_oleracea

> http://www.livestrong.com/article/46...e-and-omega-3/

> http://www.livestrong.com/article/43...omega-3-acids/

Appears wild often enough that it's not always sold in grocery stores.
However, if they sell a mesclun salad, purslane is often an ingredient.

May help those with diabetes.

> http://www.livestrong.com/article/46...-for-diabetes/

In case you need to grow your own, note that it grows so well in the
US that it's often considered a weed.

> http://landscaping.about.com/cs/weed...a/purslane.htm

> http://www.wildgardenseed.com/index.php?cPath=49

> http://www.ehow.com/list_7711566_gar...ane-seeds.html

> http://www.gardenguides.com/88080-bu...lane-seed.html

> http://www.territorialseed.com/produ...uropean_greens

> http://www.burpee.com/heirloom-seeds...rod001969.html

> http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Purslan.../dp/B0031UJBCY

Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> Julie - I've found a few more sources of omega-3 for you to
> consider (I've forgotten some of those we've already discussed).
>
> First, grass-fed cows are able to turn the ALA form they get get
> from grass into the EPA and DHA forms more important to humans.
> Also, they are sometimes fed fish oils to improve their health.
> This should make some dairy products contain omega-3, especially
> those dairy products higher in fat such as full-fat milk, cream,
> and butter. However, you'll want to read the label to see which
> ones were made high in omega-3 by adding fish oils to the milk.
>
>> http://www.stonyfield.com/healthy-pl...er-cow-project

>> http://www.eatwild.com/articles/superhealthy.html

>> http://www.nutraceuticalsworld.com/c...-omega-3-milk/

>> http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/ome...atty_acids.htm

>> http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/an264

I don't think I need any more Omega 3's. I can't have any form of dairy or
dish.

> Bison are also able to turn ALA into EPA and DHA. However,
> bison products are hard to find.
>
> Purslane is one of the vegetable sources especially high in EPA, and
> also contains some DHA. Often used as a salad vegetable in Europe;
> not so often in the US.
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portulaca_oleracea

>> http://www.livestrong.com/article/46...e-and-omega-3/

>> http://www.livestrong.com/article/43...omega-3-acids/

> Appears wild often enough that it's not always sold in grocery stores.
> However, if they sell a mesclun salad, purslane is often an ingredient.

I don't digest salad very well.

> May help those with diabetes.
>
>> http://www.livestrong.com/article/46...-for-diabetes/

> In case you need to grow your own, note that it grows so well in the
> US that it's often considered a weed.
>
>> http://landscaping.about.com/cs/weed...a/purslane.htm

>> http://www.wildgardenseed.com/index.php?cPath=49

>> http://www.ehow.com/list_7711566_gar...ane-seeds.html

>> http://www.gardenguides.com/88080-bu...lane-seed.html

>> http://www.territorialseed.com/produ...uropean_greens

>> http://www.burpee.com/heirloom-seeds...rod001969.html

>> http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Purslan.../dp/B0031UJBCY

Okay but I'm not sure why this was addressed to me. I take plenty of Omega
3 and 6.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Saturday, June 2, 2012 11:16:32 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> > Julie - I've found a few more sources of omega-3 for you to
> > consider (I've forgotten some of those we've already discussed).

[snip]
> >> http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Purslan.../dp/B0031UJBCY

> Okay but I'm not sure why this was addressed to me. I take plenty of Omega
> 3 and 6.

I thought you wrote earlier that you were allergic to fish and therefore couldn't use any of the major sources of omega-3.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, June 2, 2012 11:16:32 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
>> > Julie - I've found a few more sources of omega-3 for you to
>> > consider (I've forgotten some of those we've already discussed).

> [snip]

>> Okay but I'm not sure why this was addressed to me. I take plenty of
>> Omega
>> 3 and 6.

> I thought you wrote earlier that you were allergic to fish and therefore
> couldn't use any of the major sources of omega-3.

I am not allergic to fish. I am intolerant. But isn't flaxseed an Omega 3?
I take that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sunday, June 3, 2012 10:32:51 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Robert Miles" > wrote in message

> > [snip]
> >>
> >> Okay but I'm not sure why this was addressed to me. I take plenty of
> >> Omega
> >> 3 and 6.

> > I thought you wrote earlier that you were allergic to fish and therefore
> > couldn't use any of the major sources of omega-3.

> I am not allergic to fish. I am intolerant. But isn't flaxseed an Omega 3?
> I take that.

Flaxseed provides an omega-3, but the ALA variety, not the DHA and EPA varieties that the human body has more need for. The human body is very inefficient at converting ALA to DHA and EPA - under 1% gets converted.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, June 3, 2012 10:32:51 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > [snip]

>> > I thought you wrote earlier that you were allergic to fish and
>> > therefore
>> > couldn't use any of the major sources of omega-3.

>> I am not allergic to fish. I am intolerant. But isn't flaxseed an Omega
>> 3?
>> I take that.

> Flaxseed provides an omega-3, but the ALA variety, not the DHA and EPA
> varieties that the human body has more need for. The human body is very
> inefficient at converting ALA to DHA and EPA - under 1% gets converted.

I don't know what that means but... I was tested and was not lacking in it.
Angela was. So I added krill oil to her arsenal.

Ping: Julie, Thank you cshenk General Cooking 6 27-10-2015 12:03 AM
Ping: Julie Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 1 02-02-2014 09:41 AM
Ping: Julie Robert Miles[_4_] Diabetic 389 09-02-2012 06:56 PM
ping Julie Evelyn Diabetic 1 05-03-2010 12:47 AM
Vegan Omega-3 sources Warren[_7_] Vegan 0 02-04-2009 08:32 PM