Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Mini Quiches

Has anyone made these before? I made a recipe from one of the South Beach
cookbooks and I don't think it would have worked as written. The recipe
called for

1 10 oz. box of frozen spinach
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
3/4 cup shredded cheese
3/4 cup of egg product

You were supposed to nuke the spinach for 2 minutes and 30 seconds then
drain the juice off. Mix in the rest of the stuff then divide evenly
between 12 greased muffin tins and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until
a toothpick came out clean.

I did use red pepper and green onion because that is what I had. I added a
bit of salt and pepper. But once in the muffin tins there seemed to be all
veggies and not enough cheese or egg. I added about a teaspoon each to each
tin then mixed in.

They look okay after they were baked. But there is a *lot* of spinach in
there so I'm not sure Angela will eat them. She would likely eat them
without the spinach. I have seen similar recipes with other veggies
but...those seem to call for egg. Hard to tell though because most use real
eggs. I'm not sure how many eggs 3/4 of a cup would be. And most of the
other recipes say to use silicon muffin pans or liners. We don't have those
and I haven't seen them in the stores. I saw them online and they're not
cheap. I did buy a non-stick pan and they seemed to pop out just fine.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 02:12:08 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Has anyone made these before? I made a recipe from one of the South Beach
>>cookbooks and I don't think it would have worked as written. The recipe
>>called for
>>
>>1 10 oz. box of frozen spinach
>>1/4 cup chopped onion
>>1/4 cup chopped green pepper
>>3/4 cup shredded cheese
>>3/4 cup of egg product
>>
>>You were supposed to nuke the spinach for 2 minutes and 30 seconds then
>>drain the juice off. Mix in the rest of the stuff then divide evenly
>>between 12 greased muffin tins and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or
>>until
>>a toothpick came out clean.
>>
>>I did use red pepper and green onion because that is what I had. I added
>>bit of salt and pepper. But once in the muffin tins there seemed to be
>>all
>>veggies and not enough cheese or egg. I added about a teaspoon each to
>>each
>>tin then mixed in.
>>
>>They look okay after they were baked. But there is a *lot* of spinach in
>>there so I'm not sure Angela will eat them. She would likely eat them
>>without the spinach. I have seen similar recipes with other veggies
>>but...those seem to call for egg. Hard to tell though because most use
>>real
>>eggs. I'm not sure how many eggs 3/4 of a cup would be. And most of the
>>other recipes say to use silicon muffin pans or liners. We don't have
>>those
>>and I haven't seen them in the stores. I saw them online and they're not
>>cheap. I did buy a non-stick pan and they seemed to pop out just fine.
>>

> That doesn't seem like enough egg. The egg substitute I buy counts
> 1/4 cup as equivalent of one egg. How many of the pieces of this was
> considered as a serving? Also, I found the silicon muffin liners in
> the cake decorating department of Michaels Arts and Craft store. HTH

2 are a serving. They seemed very small to me but she said she was quite
full after eating those and some cashews.

I will look at the craft store next time we go. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> 2 are a serving. They seemed very small to me but she said she was
> quite full after eating those and some cashews.
>
> I will look at the craft store next time we go. Thanks!

The silicone bakeware is available here in the large chain supermarkets.
Not a huge range and a bit dearer than the metal ware. My aunt makes
mini quiches in small muffin pans, her recipe calls for flour and I
actually like them better than those without. Without the flour I would
call them frittata. My aunt usually puts various things in hers like
bacon, corn niblets, smoked salmon etc. She makes a couple of dozen or
so of each and freezes them for when people pop in unexpectedly.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>

>> 2 are a serving. They seemed very small to me but she said she was quite
>> full after eating those and some cashews.
>>
>> I will look at the craft store next time we go. Thanks!

> The silicone bakeware is available here in the large chain supermarkets.
> Not a huge range and a bit dearer than the metal ware. My aunt makes mini
> quiches in small muffin pans, her recipe calls for flour and I actually
> like them better than those without. Without the flour I would call them
> frittata. My aunt usually puts various things in hers like bacon, corn
> niblets, smoked salmon etc. She makes a couple of dozen or so of each and
> freezes them for when people pop in unexpectedly.

I think I would call these frittata too. Angela said they tasted like
omelets. Must buy a lot more spinach and egg product. My husband is due
home on Friday and I have a feeling that these are the sort of thing he will
wolf. I can vary the veggies and put meat in them too. I will look at the
grocery store today for them. The one I am going to doesn't sell a lot of
kitchen stuff but I am sure I have seen them somewhere. Just can't remember
where.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Karen wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 08:28:58 +1000, in alt.food.diabetic, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> 2 are a serving. They seemed very small to me but she said she was
>>> quite full after eating those and some cashews.
>>>
>>> I will look at the craft store next time we go. Thanks!

>> The silicone bakeware is available here in the large chain
>> supermarkets. Not a huge range and a bit dearer than the metal ware.
>> My aunt makes mini quiches in small muffin pans, her recipe calls
>> for flour and I actually like them better than those without.
>> Without the flour I would call them frittata. My aunt usually puts
>> various things in hers like bacon, corn niblets, smoked salmon etc.
>> She makes a couple of dozen or so of each and freezes them for when
>> people pop in unexpectedly.

> That sounds good. I may give this recipe a try. I went through my e
> books and found I had the South Beach one after all. I'm not doing
> that diet, doing Weigh****chers instead, but South Beach looks like a
> good sound diet.

I think South Beach would be good for a person who is a carb addict. I am
not one. I think my daughter might be. But am not sure.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 18:48:32 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Karen wrote:
>>> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 08:28:58 +1000, in alt.food.diabetic, "Ozgirl"

>>> That sounds good. I may give this recipe a try. I went through my e
>>> books and found I had the South Beach one after all. I'm not doing
>>> that diet, doing Weigh****chers instead, but South Beach looks like a
>>> good sound diet.

>>I think South Beach would be good for a person who is a carb addict. I am
>>not one. I think my daughter might be. But am not sure.
>>

> I'm not a carb addict. I just try to eat a lot of vegetables and good
> quality protein. I have backed off of a lot of the carbs, though I
> still do eat a bit of them in very small amounts. I had gotten my A1c
> down to 5.0 last fall, but it has crept back up in the last couple of
> months. I really need to work on getting those numbers better.

I love vegetables but I don't digest them well. Do not like meat at all.

Mini Quiches koko General Cooking 14 18-09-2016 01:10 AM
Mini Quiches round 2! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 0 23-04-2012 06:42 AM
Mini Mexican Quiches jacqueline austin Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2008 05:11 PM
Mini Quiches 7Hawks Recipes (moderated) 0 06-11-2004 04:42 PM
Mini Quiches Rene English Recipes (moderated) 0 25-06-2004 01:13 PM