Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Roasted green beans recipe?

Does anyone have a recipe? It can't include dairy, bacon, thyme, basil, or
tarragon. I can use olive oil or if necessary, Nucoa margarine. For my
family the plainer the better. I had some in a restaurant that I loved but
they were loaded with black pepper. I can maybe sneak a little pepper by on
them but they do love the plain, bland foods. *sigh*

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
: Does anyone have a recipe? It can't include dairy, bacon, thyme, basil, or
: tarragon. I can use olive oil or if necessary, Nucoa margarine. For my
: family the plainer the better. I had some in a restaurant that I loved but
: they were loaded with black pepper. I can maybe sneak a little pepper by on
: them but they do love the plain, bland foods. *sigh*

Not a recipe, but take whole, fresh string beans adn snip off the stem
endput in a roasting pan, oiled with olive ile and roll the beans around
in it. Add the seasonings of your choice, salt, pepper, garlic are
particularly good. roast in the oven , turning them at oeast once until
they are done, they may look a bit wrinkled or brown, but done cook them
to death or burn them. try about a 375 oven temp. If you like when done
pour a litttle balsamic vinegar on them, or serve that on the side for
your bland lovers.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : Does anyone have a recipe? It can't include dairy, bacon, thyme, basil,
> or
> : tarragon. I can use olive oil or if necessary, Nucoa margarine. For my
> : family the plainer the better. I had some in a restaurant that I loved
> but
> : they were loaded with black pepper. I can maybe sneak a little pepper
> by on
> : them but they do love the plain, bland foods. *sigh*
>
> Not a recipe, but take whole, fresh string beans adn snip off the stem
> endput in a roasting pan, oiled with olive ile and roll the beans around
> in it. Add the seasonings of your choice, salt, pepper, garlic are
> particularly good. roast in the oven , turning them at oeast once until
> they are done, they may look a bit wrinkled or brown, but done cook them
> to death or burn them. try about a 375 oven temp. If you like when done
> pour a litttle balsamic vinegar on them, or serve that on the side for
> your bland lovers.
>
> Wendy

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>> Does anyone have a recipe? It can't include dairy, bacon, thyme,
>>> basil, or tarragon. I can use olive oil or if necessary, Nucoa
>>> margarine. For my family the plainer the better. I had some in a
>>> restaurant that I loved but they were loaded with black pepper. I
>>> can maybe sneak a little pepper by on them but they do love the
>>> plain, bland foods. *sigh*

>> Not a recipe, but take whole, fresh string beans adn snip off the
>> stem endput in a roasting pan, oiled with olive ile and roll the
>> beans around in it. Add the seasonings of your choice, salt,
>> pepper, garlic are particularly good. roast in the oven , turning
>> them at oeast once until they are done, they may look a bit wrinkled
>> or brown, but done cook them to death or burn them. try about a 375
>> oven temp. If you like when done pour a litttle balsamic vinegar on
>> them, or serve that on the side for your bland lovers.
>>
>> Wendy

> Thanks!

I would recommend lining a shallow pan with aluminum foil, set the oven to
475 or 500F, and putting the lined pan in the oven to preheat. Meanwhile,
prepare the beans as Wendy suggests, but toss them with the olive oil, salt
(preferable coarse salt like sea salt or kosher), and pepper/garlic in a
bowl or serving dish. When the oven and pan are hot, quickly spread the
beans on the preheated pan and roast. You'll hear them sizzle as soon as
they hit the pan. If you have too many beans to form a single layer, use two
roasting pans.

You can do the same thing with sliced red peppers, thickly sliced onions,
halved brussels sprouts, or any othe vegetable you want to roast. Preheating
the roasting pan works MUCH better. I just picked up that tip in the last
year.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Not a recipe, but take whole, fresh string beans adn snip off the
>>> stem endput in a roasting pan, oiled with olive ile and roll the
>>> beans around in it. Add the seasonings of your choice, salt,
>>> pepper, garlic are particularly good. roast in the oven , turning
>>> them at oeast once until they are done, they may look a bit wrinkled
>>> or brown, but done cook them to death or burn them. try about a 375
>>> oven temp. If you like when done pour a litttle balsamic vinegar on
>>> them, or serve that on the side for your bland lovers.
>>>
>>> Wendy

>> Thanks!

> I would recommend lining a shallow pan with aluminum foil, set the oven to
> 475 or 500F, and putting the lined pan in the oven to preheat. Meanwhile,
> prepare the beans as Wendy suggests, but toss them with the olive oil,
> salt (preferable coarse salt like sea salt or kosher), and pepper/garlic
> in a bowl or serving dish. When the oven and pan are hot, quickly spread
> the beans on the preheated pan and roast. You'll hear them sizzle as soon
> as they hit the pan. If you have too many beans to form a single layer,
> use two roasting pans.
>
> You can do the same thing with sliced red peppers, thickly sliced onions,
> halved brussels sprouts, or any othe vegetable you want to roast.
> Preheating the roasting pan works MUCH better. I just picked up that tip
> in the last year.

Thanks! Sadly I won't be making them again. I like them but I was the only
one who like them. Apparently my family only seems to like canned
vegetables. But I tried.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Janet" > wrote in message

: Thanks! Sadly I won't be making them again. I like them but I was the only
: one who like them. Apparently my family only seems to like canned
: vegetables. But I tried.

Julie, you can make some for yourself if they work with your gasroparesis
, just make fewer beans and any left-overs work well as a simple salad the
next day either cold or room temperature with just a drizzle of red win ,
balsamic or whatever vinegar you prefer.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Janet" > wrote in message
>
> : Thanks! Sadly I won't be making them again. I like them but I was the
> only
> : one who like them. Apparently my family only seems to like canned
> : vegetables. But I tried.
>
> Julie, you can make some for yourself if they work with your gasroparesis
> , just make fewer beans and any left-overs work well as a simple salad the
> next day either cold or room temperature with just a drizzle of red win ,
> balsamic or whatever vinegar you prefer.
>
> Wendy

And the instructions did say you could use it for many different veggies.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Janet" > wrote in message
>
> : Thanks! Sadly I won't be making them again. I like them but I was the
> only
> : one who like them. Apparently my family only seems to like canned
> : vegetables. But I tried.
>
> Julie, you can make some for yourself if they work with your gasroparesis
> , just make fewer beans and any left-overs work well as a simple salad the
> next day either cold or room temperature with just a drizzle of red win ,
> balsamic or whatever vinegar you prefer.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Janet" > wrote in message
>
> : Thanks! Sadly I won't be making them again. I like them but I was the
> only
> : one who like them. Apparently my family only seems to like canned
> : vegetables. But I tried.
>
> Julie, you can make some for yourself if they work with your gasroparesis
> , just make fewer beans and any left-overs work well as a simple salad the
> next day either cold or room temperature with just a drizzle of red win ,
> balsamic or whatever vinegar you prefer.

No. The beans I buy come in a family pack. Far too many for me to eat and
I wouldn't eat them very often. I don't like leftovers.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Julie Bove > wrote:
: >
: > : "Janet" > wrote in message
: >
: > : Thanks! Sadly I won't be making them again. I like them but I was the
: > only
: > : one who like them. Apparently my family only seems to like canned
: > : vegetables. But I tried.
: >
: > Julie, you can make some for yourself if they work with your gasroparesis
: > , just make fewer beans and any left-overs work well as a simple salad the
: > next day either cold or room temperature with just a drizzle of red win ,
: > balsamic or whatever vinegar you prefer.

: No. The beans I buy come in a family pack. Far too many for me to eat and
: I wouldn't eat them very often. I don't like leftovers.

There are smaller packs or eve loose beans available and if you plan to
make a string bean salad you always cook them the day before so they can
get cool so they would be a DIFFERENT dish, not a leftover from the hot
beans the night before. think of the salad as the main reason and the hot
ones the night before as a litle bonus.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >
> : > : "Janet" > wrote in message
> : >
> : > : Thanks! Sadly I won't be making them again. I like them but I was
> the
> : > only
> : > : one who like them. Apparently my family only seems to like canned
> : > : vegetables. But I tried.
> : >
> : > Julie, you can make some for yourself if they work with your
> gasroparesis
> : > , just make fewer beans and any left-overs work well as a simple salad
> the
> : > next day either cold or room temperature with just a drizzle of red
> win ,
> : > balsamic or whatever vinegar you prefer.
>
> : No. The beans I buy come in a family pack. Far too many for me to eat
> and
> : I wouldn't eat them very often. I don't like leftovers.
>
> There are smaller packs or eve loose beans available and if you plan to
> make a string bean salad you always cook them the day before so they can
> get cool so they would be a DIFFERENT dish, not a leftover from the hot
> beans the night before. think of the salad as the main reason and the hot
> ones the night before as a litle bonus.

Maybe there are where you live but I haven't seen them here. I don't think
I would like a green bean salad and AFAIK they have bred the strings out of
beans. At least we can't get them here. I don't like salad dressing at all
and that is my big complaint with salads like that. I like roasted green
beans once in a while. I sure wouldn't want them two days in a row no
matter how they are.

Banned

ya , it is nice topic.