Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Adaptations of Holiday Favorites

I sent this post originally to the wrong grouup,(MHD) but here it is now.

I thought this would be an approriate topic for this week as we have both
> Channuka and Christmas in the offing. For Channuka, one can make

zuchinni
> pancakes rather than the traditional potato pancakes, or use a mixture

of
> the zuchinni and potato for a less than low carb treat. I can think of

no
> way to make the other traditional jelly doughnuts, but, perhaps someone
> has a good thought.
>
> Channuka is 8 days so it is hard to say Oh well, just this one day a

year.
> Christmas has so many parties before and then there is New Years with

more
> celebrating, usually with high carbs.
>
> How about your ideas and let me wish ou all Happy Channuka or Merry
> Christmas or Happy Kwanza and enjoy the Saturnalia season. ( is this PC
> enough?:-)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
>I sent this post originally to the wrong grouup,(MHD) but here it is now.
>
> I thought this would be an approriate topic for this week as we have both
>> Channuka and Christmas in the offing. For Channuka, one can make

> zuchinni
>> pancakes rather than the traditional potato pancakes, or use a mixture

> of
>> the zuchinni and potato for a less than low carb treat. I can think of

> no
>> way to make the other traditional jelly doughnuts, but, perhaps someone
>> has a good thought.
>>
>> Channuka is 8 days so it is hard to say Oh well, just this one day a

> year.
>> Christmas has so many parties before and then there is New Years with

> more
>> celebrating, usually with high carbs.
>>
>> How about your ideas and let me wish ou all Happy Channuka or Merry
>> Christmas or Happy Kwanza and enjoy the Saturnalia season. ( is this PC
>> enough?:-)

> Wendy

Very simple for me. I just don't eat stuff that I don't normally eat. And
I try not to go to parties.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

lol, i don't go for pc, but i often say happy holidays, so i don't say the
wrong thing to an individual...

lots of the food we have eaten forholidays over the years have evolved to
lwer fat/sugar as we have all aged. dressing for example has half the butter
and salt it used to and is still perfect... pumpkin pie... no crust but
still in pie pan, you can use the standard recipe on the back of the pumpkin
can but sub in splenda, and lower fat items and its still great.

some things like pecan pie just can't be adapted... so now my sister
"sliver" cuts them. this requires having it cooler, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
>I sent this post originally to the wrong grouup,(MHD) but here it is now.
>
> I thought this would be an approriate topic for this week as we have both
>> Channuka and Christmas in the offing. For Channuka, one can make

> zuchinni
>> pancakes rather than the traditional potato pancakes, or use a mixture

> of
>> the zuchinni and potato for a less than low carb treat. I can think of

> no
>> way to make the other traditional jelly doughnuts, but, perhaps someone
>> has a good thought.
>>
>> Channuka is 8 days so it is hard to say Oh well, just this one day a

> year.
>> Christmas has so many parties before and then there is New Years with

> more
>> celebrating, usually with high carbs.
>>
>> How about your ideas and let me wish ou all Happy Channuka or Merry
>> Christmas or Happy Kwanza and enjoy the Saturnalia season. ( is this PC
>> enough?:-)

> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> lol, i don't go for pc, but i often say happy holidays, so i don't say the
> wrong thing to an individual...
>
> lots of the food we have eaten forholidays over the years have evolved to
> lwer fat/sugar as we have all aged. dressing for example has half the
> butter and salt it used to and is still perfect... pumpkin pie... no crust
> but still in pie pan, you can use the standard recipe on the back of the
> pumpkin can but sub in splenda, and lower fat items and its still great.
>
> some things like pecan pie just can't be adapted... so now my sister
> "sliver" cuts them. this requires having it cooler, Lee

I guess I am lucky in that we don't really have any holiday traditions when
it comes to food. Used to be my mom would make a Jell-O salad that she
would forget to put on the table. Of course nobody would notice that it
wasn't there because nobody wanted it to begin with! Finally she just
stopped making it. Then she replaced that with deviled eggs which she
always wanted me to make. But then after the third or fourth year of nobody
touching them, I put my foot down and refused to make them.

In our house the tradition isn't food related. We just forget to take down
one decoration. And we don't usually notice it until waaay after the
holidays. This past year we just left it up. It's a nativity scene that
IMO is butt ugly. It's made of sticks and hay and crudely cut out and
painted people. It hangs on the wall. But Angela just fell in love with it
and had to have it. It's on the wall behind the TV and it just seems to
blend right in.

We didn't put out many other decorations this year. I got a new advent
calendar. We dragged a silk poinsettia out of the back house as well as a
tiny metal tree which Ballerina keeps taking in her mouth and running with.
Also my husband's stocking. Angela and I decided to give ours away and buy
new ones and I also got two for the cats. We bought a little 2 foot tree at
Target. It's silver tinsel with white lights and some balls. I let Angela
buy one more package of novelty ornaments and a little skirt at Big Lots and
we put up one string of lights. So it's just enough to make it look a bit
festive but it isn't going to be a pain to take it all down.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

we haven't decorated much over the years, again too poor when younger and
always away, now the cats prevent most decorations as i am a paranoid cat
person, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> lol, i don't go for pc, but i often say happy holidays, so i don't say
>> the wrong thing to an individual...
>>
>> lots of the food we have eaten forholidays over the years have evolved to
>> lwer fat/sugar as we have all aged. dressing for example has half the
>> butter and salt it used to and is still perfect... pumpkin pie... no
>> crust but still in pie pan, you can use the standard recipe on the back
>> of the pumpkin can but sub in splenda, and lower fat items and its still
>> great.
>>
>> some things like pecan pie just can't be adapted... so now my sister
>> "sliver" cuts them. this requires having it cooler, Lee

> I guess I am lucky in that we don't really have any holiday traditions
> when it comes to food. Used to be my mom would make a Jell-O salad that
> she would forget to put on the table. Of course nobody would notice that
> it wasn't there because nobody wanted it to begin with! Finally she just
> stopped making it. Then she replaced that with deviled eggs which she
> always wanted me to make. But then after the third or fourth year of
> nobody touching them, I put my foot down and refused to make them.
>
> In our house the tradition isn't food related. We just forget to take
> down one decoration. And we don't usually notice it until waaay after the
> holidays. This past year we just left it up. It's a nativity scene that
> IMO is butt ugly. It's made of sticks and hay and crudely cut out and
> painted people. It hangs on the wall. But Angela just fell in love with
> it and had to have it. It's on the wall behind the TV and it just seems
> to blend right in.
>
> We didn't put out many other decorations this year. I got a new advent
> calendar. We dragged a silk poinsettia out of the back house as well as a
> tiny metal tree which Ballerina keeps taking in her mouth and running
> with. Also my husband's stocking. Angela and I decided to give ours away
> and buy new ones and I also got two for the cats. We bought a little 2
> foot tree at Target. It's silver tinsel with white lights and some balls.
> I let Angela buy one more package of novelty ornaments and a little skirt
> at Big Lots and we put up one string of lights. So it's just enough to
> make it look a bit festive but it isn't going to be a pain to take it all
> down.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> we haven't decorated much over the years, again too poor when younger and
> always away, now the cats prevent most decorations as i am a paranoid cat
> person, Lee

My mother was soooo angry with me when I got my first apartment and my first
tree. There was a place in North Seattle called Chubby and Tubby. Not sure
if they are still there or not. They sold any tree (real, cut) for $5.00.
To get a good one you had to get there early and fight the other customers
for it. I got a huge one! Not only tall but big around. And I was able to
fully decorated it. It did help that was working at K Mart at the time and
put in charge of the Trim A Tree department. One year they made me dress as
an elf. I can't say that I liked that part too well. But I did have the
advantage of finding all the best ornaments and decorations and squirreling
them away until they went on sale. I also bought a few really nice and
expensive ones from the now defunct Frederick and Nelson's and Wights. I
still buy at least two ornaments from Wights each year for Angela. I have
an empty ornament storage chest just waiting for when she moves out. She
can take the ones she wants. She collects the ballerina ones and we also
have a lot of cats and other animals.

When my mom saw my tree she flipped out! Said a 19 year old shouldn't have
a fully decorated tree. She even complained to my brother about it. I
couldn't really understand why she was so upset. Especially since the
majority of the ornaments on that tree cost me something like 50 to 99 cents
per box. And in those days I was making something like $4 an hour. There
were also a lot of cheap candy canes on that tree and things that I made.
I've made a lot of craft things over the years. I also had strands of
popcorn and cranberries.

However in looking through magazines like The Good Old Days, it would appear
that in the 40's and 50's people just didn't have fully decorated trees.
Perhaps they could only afford say one string of lights or one box of
ornaments and not even one every year!

I'm sure if she were to see all the ornaments we have now, she would flip
out. Over the years I got rid of all of the plain balls save for a few of
the hand blown glass ones that are see through. They remind me of fishing
floats. I only saved my favorite ones and got rid of all the rest. When we
do put up the tree it is a mish mash of things but it is all things that we
like.

I can't say that I am much into those matchy matchy trees. That's the kind
my parents used to put up after I was an adult. Their ornaments were all
silver and red and two different styles. That to me has no personality.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

she sounds a bit jealous to me, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> we haven't decorated much over the years, again too poor when younger and
>> always away, now the cats prevent most decorations as i am a paranoid cat
>> person, Lee

> My mother was soooo angry with me when I got my first apartment and my
> first tree. There was a place in North Seattle called Chubby and Tubby.
> Not sure if they are still there or not. They sold any tree (real, cut)
> for $5.00. To get a good one you had to get there early and fight the
> other customers for it. I got a huge one! Not only tall but big around.
> And I was able to fully decorated it. It did help that was working at K
> Mart at the time and put in charge of the Trim A Tree department. One
> year they made me dress as an elf. I can't say that I liked that part too
> well. But I did have the advantage of finding all the best ornaments and
> decorations and squirreling them away until they went on sale. I also
> bought a few really nice and expensive ones from the now defunct Frederick
> and Nelson's and Wights. I still buy at least two ornaments from Wights
> each year for Angela. I have an empty ornament storage chest just waiting
> for when she moves out. She can take the ones she wants. She collects
> the ballerina ones and we also have a lot of cats and other animals.
>
> When my mom saw my tree she flipped out! Said a 19 year old shouldn't
> have a fully decorated tree. She even complained to my brother about it.
> I couldn't really understand why she was so upset. Especially since the
> majority of the ornaments on that tree cost me something like 50 to 99
> cents per box. And in those days I was making something like $4 an hour.
> There were also a lot of cheap candy canes on that tree and things that I
> made. I've made a lot of craft things over the years. I also had strands
> of popcorn and cranberries.
>
> However in looking through magazines like The Good Old Days, it would
> appear that in the 40's and 50's people just didn't have fully decorated
> trees. Perhaps they could only afford say one string of lights or one box
> of ornaments and not even one every year!
>
> I'm sure if she were to see all the ornaments we have now, she would flip
> out. Over the years I got rid of all of the plain balls save for a few of
> the hand blown glass ones that are see through. They remind me of fishing
> floats. I only saved my favorite ones and got rid of all the rest. When
> we do put up the tree it is a mish mash of things but it is all things
> that we like.
>
> I can't say that I am much into those matchy matchy trees. That's the
> kind my parents used to put up after I was an adult. Their ornaments were
> all silver and red and two different styles. That to me has no
> personality.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> she sounds a bit jealous to me, Lee

I thought that too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/20/2011 1:36 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> we haven't decorated much over the years, again too poor when younger and
>> always away, now the cats prevent most decorations as i am a paranoid cat
>> person, Lee

> My mother was soooo angry with me when I got my first apartment and my first
> tree. There was a place in North Seattle called Chubby and Tubby. Not sure
> if they are still there or not. They sold any tree (real, cut) for $5.00.
> To get a good one you had to get there early and fight the other customers
> for it. I got a huge one! Not only tall but big around. And I was able to
> fully decorated it. It did help that was working at K Mart at the time and
> put in charge of the Trim A Tree department. One year they made me dress as
> an elf. I can't say that I liked that part too well. But I did have the
> advantage of finding all the best ornaments and decorations and squirreling
> them away until they went on sale. I also bought a few really nice and
> expensive ones from the now defunct Frederick and Nelson's and Wights. I
> still buy at least two ornaments from Wights each year for Angela. I have
> an empty ornament storage chest just waiting for when she moves out. She
> can take the ones she wants. She collects the ballerina ones and we also
> have a lot of cats and other animals.
>
> When my mom saw my tree she flipped out! Said a 19 year old shouldn't have
> a fully decorated tree. She even complained to my brother about it. I
> couldn't really understand why she was so upset. Especially since the
> majority of the ornaments on that tree cost me something like 50 to 99 cents
> per box. And in those days I was making something like $4 an hour. There
> were also a lot of cheap candy canes on that tree and things that I made.
> I've made a lot of craft things over the years. I also had strands of
> popcorn and cranberries.
>
> However in looking through magazines like The Good Old Days, it would appear
> that in the 40's and 50's people just didn't have fully decorated trees.
> Perhaps they could only afford say one string of lights or one box of
> ornaments and not even one every year!
>
> I'm sure if she were to see all the ornaments we have now, she would flip
> out. Over the years I got rid of all of the plain balls save for a few of
> the hand blown glass ones that are see through. They remind me of fishing
> floats. I only saved my favorite ones and got rid of all the rest. When we
> do put up the tree it is a mish mash of things but it is all things that we
> like.
>
> I can't say that I am much into those matchy matchy trees. That's the kind
> my parents used to put up after I was an adult. Their ornaments were all
> silver and red and two different styles. That to me has no personality.

I need to ditch a bunch of Christmas decorations...............
fortuntely teenlet is closing in on 18

i'll cull and sort and i'll share the antiques from his Great
Grandmother with him as 'gifts' for Christmas when he's on his own

:/

they all grow older!

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that will make a great memory for him, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> the hand blown glass ones that are see through. They remind me of
>> fishing
>> floats. I only saved my favorite ones and got rid of all the rest. When
>> we
>> do put up the tree it is a mish mash of things but it is all things that
>> we
>> like.
>>
>> I can't say that I am much into those matchy matchy trees. That's the
>> kind
>> my parents used to put up after I was an adult. Their ornaments were all
>> silver and red and two different styles. That to me has no personality.

> I need to ditch a bunch of Christmas decorations............... fortuntely
> teenlet is closing in on 18
>

> i'll cull and sort and i'll share the antiques from his Great Grandmother
> with him as 'gifts' for Christmas when he's on his own

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I collected a number of things that 'no one else wanted' in 'no
uncertain terms'. It cost me close to $3K to reupholster grandma's
couch and chair. Another family member walked into my house and said 'I
see kate gets ALL the antiques'

????????? they were given first offer! and she had NOT clue what MY cost
was, i could have bought some fancy leather lazy-boy recliner sofas for
what that cost me!

lol
(and *I* bought the other antiques that were 'assumed' to be
inherited....... so, i brought out some other 'antiques' that needed
restoring and told her 'Honey, you can have whichever you want and
whatever you want, they will take some work to restore, and they won't
be considered 'antiques' proper as you have restored them)

gotta love family...........

kate

On 12/20/2011 10:41 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> [...]
>>> the hand blown glass ones that are see through. They remind me of
>>> fishing
>>> floats. I only saved my favorite ones and got rid of all the rest. When
>>> we
>>> do put up the tree it is a mish mash of things but it is all things that
>>> we
>>> like.
>>>
>>> I can't say that I am much into those matchy matchy trees. That's the
>>> kind
>>> my parents used to put up after I was an adult. Their ornaments were all
>>> silver and red and two different styles. That to me has no personality.

>> I need to ditch a bunch of Christmas decorations............... fortuntely
>> teenlet is closing in on 18
>>

>> i'll cull and sort and i'll share the antiques from his Great Grandmother
>> with him as 'gifts' for Christmas when he's on his own

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the only reason G*D lets us choose our friends is because he doesn't allow
us to choose our family, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>I collected a number of things that 'no one else wanted' in 'no uncertain
>terms'. It cost me close to $3K to reupholster grandma's couch and chair.
>Another family member walked into my house and said 'I see kate gets ALL
>the antiques'
>
> ????????? they were given first offer! and she had NOT clue what MY cost
> was, i could have bought some fancy leather lazy-boy recliner sofas for
> what that cost me!
>
> lol
> (and *I* bought the other antiques that were 'assumed' to be
> inherited....... so, i brought out some other 'antiques' that needed
> restoring and told her 'Honey, you can have whichever you want and
> whatever you want, they will take some work to restore, and they won't be
> considered 'antiques' proper as you have restored them)
>
> gotta love family...........
>
> kate
>
> On 12/20/2011 10:41 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> that will make a great memory for him, Lee

>>> I need to ditch a bunch of Christmas decorations...............
>>> fortuntely
>>> teenlet is closing in on 18
>>>

>>> i'll cull and sort and i'll share the antiques from his Great
>>> Grandmother
>>> with him as 'gifts' for Christmas when he's on his own
>>>
>>> :/
>>>
>>> they all grow older!
>>>
>>> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee wrote:
> lol, i don't go for pc, but i often say happy holidays, so i don't
> say the wrong thing to an individual...

I fail to understand why it such a BFD simply to acknowledge that not every
single person in the USA is a Christian.

Wendy, you missed the Winter Solstice, which is after all the real
foundation of most of these winter holidays.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> lol, i don't go for pc, but i often say happy holidays, so i don't
>> say the wrong thing to an individual...

> I fail to understand why it such a BFD simply to acknowledge that not
> every single person in the USA is a Christian.
>
> Wendy, you missed the Winter Solstice, which is after all the real
> foundation of most of these winter holidays.

I'm not a Christian and neither is my brother and his wife. We all
celebrate Christmas and it has no religious meaning to us. It is a
commercial holiday to us. I won't get into the background as to why. I
simply don't do religion.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
: Storrmmee wrote:
: > lol, i don't go for pc, but i often say happy holidays, so i don't
: > say the wrong thing to an individual...

: I fail to understand why it such a BFD simply to acknowledge that not every
: single person in the USA is a Christian.

: Wendy, you missed the Winter Solstice, which is after all the real
: foundation of most of these winter holidays.

Of course it is, so why mention it? 1 to 8 candles, tress adn windows all
lit up. We all want to make sure that the sun ic coming back like it did
last year adn the one before, so we hel it along a little, each in our
own way:-)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that does bother me, and in my circle of friends/work mattes, it always
ticks me off big time, we can translate into spanish a meal blessing, but
its always a christian prayer, i know of several of our managers who are
jewish or... grr seik, not sure thats spelled right, why not a nice jewish
blessing or seik prayer for once, Lee
"Janet" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> lol, i don't go for pc, but i often say happy holidays, so i don't
>> say the wrong thing to an individual...

> I fail to understand why it such a BFD simply to acknowledge that not
> every single person in the USA is a Christian.
>
> Wendy, you missed the Winter Solstice, which is after all the real
> foundation of most of these winter holidays.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the bad part here is that instead of just being up front about it, people
either pander to christmas or go way too far the other direction, i am a
christain, but i also know tht is MY path and not the path of everyone, one
year we decorated the rest area, combined christian, things like madonna and
12 days of christmas, a menorra, sp, and a snow scene for winter soltis, the
building manager came and told me i could leave the winter soltis, and the
menorra and roudolf but the madonna had to come down... next day i had it
all down and packed, i simply am not descriminating either way, he was upset
i took down the rest of it and quiered me as to why, i said i honored ever
area i knew of, and if i can't spend my time and money the way i want then i
won't bother spending it at all, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> Storrmmee wrote:
>>> lol, i don't go for pc, but i often say happy holidays, so i don't
>>> say the wrong thing to an individual...

>> I fail to understand why it such a BFD simply to acknowledge that not
>> every single person in the USA is a Christian.
>>
>> Wendy, you missed the Winter Solstice, which is after all the real
>> foundation of most of these winter holidays.

> I'm not a Christian and neither is my brother and his wife. We all
> celebrate Christmas and it has no religious meaning to us. It is a
> commercial holiday to us. I won't get into the background as to why. I
> simply don't do religion.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 3:19 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> the only reason G*D lets us choose our friends is because he doesn't allow
> us to choose our family, Lee

as i realised i had gone down a path i didn't want to allude
to.......... i was giggling over 'you can choose your friends.............'

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

every time things get stressful with a family situation i always stop and
say, this is why he lets me have a perfect dh and a great best friend, makes
it all easier somehow, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2011 3:19 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> the only reason G*D lets us choose our friends is because he doesn't
>> allow
>> us to choose our family, Lee

> as i realised i had gone down a path i didn't want to allude to..........
> i was giggling over 'you can choose your friends.............'
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 8:58 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> that does bother me, and in my circle of friends/work mattes, it always
> ticks me off big time, we can translate into spanish a meal blessing, but
> its always a christian prayer, i know of several of our managers who are
> jewish or... grr seik, not sure thats spelled right, why not a nice jewish
> blessing or seik prayer for once, Lee

having spent my life on a journey from one faith to another (as i
believe most are saying the same thing, essentially), i think it would
be GREAT to hear a Jewish blessing in English, or a seihk (i can't spell
either) blessing....... but...... in a language i understand

that's gonna be the harder part

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

if they can take a christain prayer from englis to spanish, for three people
who know englis, surely we could do a jewish blessing in yittish? hebrew?
and translate it to english as at least six of our managers are jewish...
Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2011 8:58 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> that does bother me, and in my circle of friends/work mattes, it always
>> ticks me off big time, we can translate into spanish a meal blessing, but
>> its always a christian prayer, i know of several of our managers who are
>> jewish or... grr seik, not sure thats spelled right, why not a nice
>> jewish
>> blessing or seik prayer for once, Lee

> having spent my life on a journey from one faith to another (as i believe
> most are saying the same thing, essentially), i think it would be GREAT to
> hear a Jewish blessing in English, or a seihk (i can't spell either)
> blessing....... but...... in a language i understand
>
> that's gonna be the harder part
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee wrote:
> the bad part here is that instead of just being up front about it,
> people either pander to christmas or go way too far the other
> direction, i am a christain, but i also know tht is MY path and not
> the path of everyone, one year we decorated the rest area, combined
> christian, things like madonna and 12 days of christmas, a menorra,
> sp, and a snow scene for winter soltis, the building manager came and
> told me i could leave the winter soltis, and the menorra and roudolf
> but the madonna had to come down... next day i had it all down and
> packed, i simply am not descriminating either way, he was upset i
> took down the rest of it and quiered me as to why, i said i honored
> ever area i knew of, and if i can't spend my time and money the way i
> want then i won't bother spending it at all, Lee

I think he was being silly. But it sounds as if he doesn't recognize the
menorah as a religious item, since what he objected to was the sole really
religious Christian item, not the rest.

Perhaps if he had discussed his concerns with you instead of making an edict
you could have found some way to address the issue. Like using a Christmas
tree and a dreidel instead of a Madonna and a menorah, since the former are
less overtly religious.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/21/2011 9:58 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> that does bother me, and in my circle of friends/work mattes, it always
> ticks me off big time, we can translate into spanish a meal blessing, but
> its always a christian prayer, i know of several of our managers who are
> jewish or... grr seik, not sure thats spelled right, why not a nice jewish
> blessing or seik prayer for once, Lee

Lee,

I think any blessing thanking the Creator for the bounty of the food is
appropriate. Just don't name any deity.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/22/2011 1:25 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:
> On 12/21/2011 8:58 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> that does bother me, and in my circle of friends/work mattes, it always
>> ticks me off big time, we can translate into spanish a meal blessing, but
>> its always a christian prayer, i know of several of our managers who are
>> jewish or... grr seik, not sure thats spelled right, why not a nice
>> jewish
>> blessing or seik prayer for once, Lee

> having spent my life on a journey from one faith to another (as i
> believe most are saying the same thing, essentially), i think it would
> be GREAT to hear a Jewish blessing in English, or a seihk (i can't spell
> either) blessing....... but...... in a language i understand
>
> that's gonna be the harder part
>
> kate

I once said the Jewish blessing on bread at a potluck with mostly
Christians present. I said it in Hebrew then translated it into English.
Everyone talked about my "grace" for weeks.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i had the tree up but never thought of the dredel... its a state building,
so i think it was a policy thing, he in fact was a devout catholic, only
conflict we ever had in fact, and it was sad, because had it not come up i
had my eye on some cool stuff for quansa when it went on sale after the
holidays, Lee
"Janet" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> the bad part here is that instead of just being up front about it,
>> people either pander to christmas or go way too far the other
>> direction, i am a christain, but i also know tht is MY path and not
>> the path of everyone, one year we decorated the rest area, combined
>> christian, things like madonna and 12 days of christmas, a menorra,
>> sp, and a snow scene for winter soltis, the building manager came and
>> told me i could leave the winter soltis, and the menorra and roudolf
>> but the madonna had to come down... next day i had it all down and
>> packed, i simply am not descriminating either way, he was upset i
>> took down the rest of it and quiered me as to why, i said i honored
>> ever area i knew of, and if i can't spend my time and money the way i
>> want then i won't bother spending it at all, Lee

> I think he was being silly. But it sounds as if he doesn't recognize the
> menorah as a religious item, since what he objected to was the sole really
> religious Christian item, not the rest.
>
> Perhaps if he had discussed his concerns with you instead of making an
> edict you could have found some way to address the issue. Like using a
> Christmas tree and a dreidel instead of a Madonna and a menorah, since the
> former are less overtly religious.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

you are correct any blessing is better than no blessing, but it simply
wouldn't hurt to honor other religions as well, Lee
"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 12/21/2011 9:58 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> that does bother me, and in my circle of friends/work mattes, it always
>> ticks me off big time, we can translate into spanish a meal blessing, but
>> its always a christian prayer, i know of several of our managers who are
>> jewish or... grr seik, not sure thats spelled right, why not a nice
>> jewish
>> blessing or seik prayer for once, Lee

> Lee,
>
> I think any blessing thanking the Creator for the bounty of the food is
> appropriate. Just don't name any deity.
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

and nobody got hit by lightening and they learned something beautiful i am
sure about your path, Lee
"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 12/22/2011 1:25 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:
>> On 12/21/2011 8:58 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> that does bother me, and in my circle of friends/work mattes, it always
>>> ticks me off big time, we can translate into spanish a meal blessing,
>>> but
>>> its always a christian prayer, i know of several of our managers who are
>>> jewish or... grr seik, not sure thats spelled right, why not a nice
>>> jewish
>>> blessing or seik prayer for once, Lee

>> having spent my life on a journey from one faith to another (as i
>> believe most are saying the same thing, essentially), i think it would
>> be GREAT to hear a Jewish blessing in English, or a seihk (i can't spell
>> either) blessing....... but...... in a language i understand
>>
>> that's gonna be the harder part
>>
>> kate

> I once said the Jewish blessing on bread at a potluck with mostly
> Christians present. I said it in Hebrew then translated it into English.
> Everyone talked about my "grace" for weeks.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/22/2011 12:17 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> every time things get stressful with a family situation i always stop and
> say, this is why he lets me have a perfect dh and a great best friend, makes
> it all easier somehow, Lee

grin

just the other day, I realised that i have taken an expression from my
Grandmother.

"Oh, my, I don't know what to say!"

it works
along with having hubby about

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/22/2011 10:07 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 12/22/2011 1:25 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:
>> On 12/21/2011 8:58 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> that does bother me, and in my circle of friends/work mattes, it always
>>> ticks me off big time, we can translate into spanish a meal blessing,
>>> but
>>> its always a christian prayer, i know of several of our managers who are
>>> jewish or... grr seik, not sure thats spelled right, why not a nice
>>> jewish
>>> blessing or seik prayer for once, Lee

>> having spent my life on a journey from one faith to another (as i
>> believe most are saying the same thing, essentially), i think it would
>> be GREAT to hear a Jewish blessing in English, or a seihk (i can't spell
>> either) blessing....... but...... in a language i understand
>>
>> that's gonna be the harder part
>>
>> kate

> I once said the Jewish blessing on bread at a potluck with mostly
> Christians present. I said it in Hebrew then translated it into English.
> Everyone talked about my "grace" for weeks.

ohhhhhhh i would have loved the translation

i've heard many Hebrew blessings, but i don't understand Hebrew...... i
would love to hear the love and kindness from the perspective of another
group who believes in (entity of choice here)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee wrote:
> i had the tree up but never thought of the dredel... its a state
> building

In that case, there should be no religious displays in public areas at all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
: Storrmmee wrote:
: > i had the tree up but never thought of the dredel... its a state
: > building

: In that case, there should be no religious displays in public areas at all.

I believe that was what the courts said. Displays of secular seasonal
objects like Santas, trees, etc, but not creches or, theorectically,
Menorahs on public property. it could be in a lobby, I guess, but not on
the school grounds or near City Hall, etc. I remember having a sicussion
at my synagogue about what woudl be Ok for Channuka a deciding that a
dreidel or a potato pancake or a jelly dounut woulf be about all we could
figu-)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily > wrote:
: On 12/22/2011 10:07 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
: > On 12/22/2011 1:25 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:
: >> On 12/21/2011 8:58 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
: >>> that does bother me, and in my circle of friends/work mattes, it always
: >>> ticks me off big time, we can translate into spanish a meal blessing,
: >>> but
: >>> its always a christian prayer, i know of several of our managers who are
: >>> jewish or... grr seik, not sure thats spelled right, why not a nice
: >>> jewish
: >>> blessing or seik prayer for once, Lee
: >>
: >> having spent my life on a journey from one faith to another (as i
: >> believe most are saying the same thing, essentially), i think it would
: >> be GREAT to hear a Jewish blessing in English, or a seihk (i can't spell
: >> either) blessing....... but...... in a language i understand
: >>
: >> that's gonna be the harder part
: >>
: >> kate
: >
: >
: > I once said the Jewish blessing on bread at a potluck with mostly
: > Christians present. I said it in Hebrew then translated it into English.
: > Everyone talked about my "grace" for weeks.
: >

: ohhhhhhh i would have loved the translation

: i've heard many Hebrew blessings, but i don't understand Hebrew...... i
: would love to hear the love and kindness from the perspective of another
: group who believes in (entity of choice here)

: kate

The bread blessing is a very universal kind of blessing. "Blessed are you
oh God, King f the Universe, who brings forth bread from the earth." The
one for wind is similarly neutral, "Blessed are you oh God, King of the
universe, who created the fruit of the vine." There are a number of
jewish blessing over differnt things, assorted kinds of foods, seeing a
rainbow, seeing something beautiful, etc, tht aare simple, like this. One
of my favorites, and one that is usesd on many occasions like holidays,
putting on a new garment, having the first fruit of the season(like the
first local tomato or peach, which goes "Blessed are you oh God, King of
the Uuniverse who has kept us in life, and has preserved us and enabled us
to reach this season."

With these three, yu can go a long way.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 12/21/2011 9:58 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> that does bother me, and in my circle of friends/work mattes, it
>> always
>> ticks me off big time, we can translate into spanish a meal blessing,
>> but
>> its always a christian prayer, i know of several of our managers who
>> are
>> jewish or... grr seik, not sure thats spelled right, why not a nice
>> jewish
>> blessing or seik prayer for once, Lee

> Lee,
>
> I think any blessing thanking the Creator for the bounty of the food
> is appropriate. Just don't name any deity.
> --

Or we could embrace everyone's right to freedom of choice and allow
others to celebrate their religion, or not. I have no problem with
people having public celebrations along with their decorations. Seeing
multi cultural and multi religious occasions can be an education IMO.
Forcing people to hide who they are is not right, again IMO. I am a
Christian and I think Christmas is very commercial but I celebrate
Christmas as a fun time holiday which makes a lot of people happy and
their is a lot of giving. The whole Christmas thing doesn't alter my
beliefs because one can "celebrate" their religion 24/7. With the prayer
thing, I can't see why people can't rotate the blessing so everyone gets
to say out loud a prayer that is applicable to them. In your hearts you
are still thanking your chosen deity or way of life but you are allowing
freedom of expression for all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/22/2011 3:38 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Tiger > wrote:
> : On 12/22/2011 10:07 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> :> On 12/22/2011 1:25 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:
> :>> On 12/21/2011 8:58 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> :>>> that does bother me, and in my circle of friends/work mattes, it always
> :>>> ticks me off big time, we can translate into spanish a meal blessing,
> :>>> but
> :>>> its always a christian prayer, i know of several of our managers who are
> :>>> jewish or... grr seik, not sure thats spelled right, why not a nice
> :>>> jewish
> :>>> blessing or seik prayer for once, Lee
> :>>
> :>> having spent my life on a journey from one faith to another (as i
> :>> believe most are saying the same thing, essentially), i think it would
> :>> be GREAT to hear a Jewish blessing in English, or a seihk (i can't spell
> :>> either) blessing....... but...... in a language i understand
> :>>
> :>> that's gonna be the harder part
> :>>
> :>> kate
> :>
> :>
> :> I once said the Jewish blessing on bread at a potluck with mostly
> :> Christians present. I said it in Hebrew then translated it into English.
> :> Everyone talked about my "grace" for weeks.
> :>
>
> : ohhhhhhh i would have loved the translation
>
> : i've heard many Hebrew blessings, but i don't understand Hebrew...... i
> : would love to hear the love and kindness from the perspective of another
> : group who believes in (entity of choice here)
>
> : kate
>
> The bread blessing is a very universal kind of blessing. "Blessed are you
> oh God, King f the Universe, who brings forth bread from the earth." The
> one for wind is similarly neutral, "Blessed are you oh God, King of the
> universe, who created the fruit of the vine." There are a number of
> jewish blessing over differnt things, assorted kinds of foods, seeing a
> rainbow, seeing something beautiful, etc, tht aare simple, like this. One
> of my favorites, and one that is usesd on many occasions like holidays,
> putting on a new garment, having the first fruit of the season(like the
> first local tomato or peach, which goes "Blessed are you oh God, King of
> the Uuniverse who has kept us in life, and has preserved us and enabled us
> to reach this season."
>
> With these three, yu can go a long way.

Amen.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

and that is how i felt, if we are goint to deny one then they all must go,
never have decorated since, Lee
"Janet" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> i had the tree up but never thought of the dredel... its a state
>> building

> In that case, there should be no religious displays in public areas at
> all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

this was in the lobby, and i might havee left secular things if i had been
asked to take all religious things down, i would have done same if it was
the jewish things i was asked to take down without the others, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Janet > wrote:
> : Storrmmee wrote:
> : > i had the tree up but never thought of the dredel... its a state
> : > building
>
> : In that case, there should be no religious displays in public areas at
> all.
>
> I believe that was what the courts said. Displays of secular seasonal
> objects like Santas, trees, etc, but not creches or, theorectically,
> Menorahs on public property. it could be in a lobby, I guess, but not on
> the school grounds or near City Hall, etc. I remember having a sicussion
> at my synagogue about what woudl be Ok for Channuka a deciding that a
> dreidel or a potato pancake or a jelly dounut woulf be about all we could
> figu-)
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/22/2011 2:38 PM, W. Baker wrote:

> The bread blessing is a very universal kind of blessing. "Blessed are you
> oh God, King f the Universe, who brings forth bread from the earth." The
> one for wind is similarly neutral, "Blessed are you oh God, King of the
> universe, who created the fruit of the vine." There are a number of
> jewish blessing over differnt things, assorted kinds of foods, seeing a
> rainbow, seeing something beautiful, etc, tht aare simple, like this. One
> of my favorites, and one that is usesd on many occasions like holidays,
> putting on a new garment, having the first fruit of the season(like the
> first local tomato or peach, which goes "Blessed are you oh God, King of
> the Uuniverse who has kept us in life, and has preserved us and enabled us
> to reach this season."
>
> With these three, yu can go a long way.
>
> Wendy

Thanks, Wendy, saved!

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote:
> and that is how i felt, if we are goint to deny one then they all must
> go, never have decorated since, Lee
> "Janet" > wrote in message
> > Storrmmee wrote:
> >> i had the tree up but never thought of the dredel... its a state
> >> building

> > In that case, there should be no religious displays in public areas at
> > all.

Does that make it a no-spin zone? If I understand correctly, the four
letters which appear on the four corners of a dreidel allude to the miracle
of Hanukkah. They spell out: Nes (N-miracle), Gadol (G-great), Haya
(H-happened) and Sham (S-there, meaning in Israel).

We have a Christmas tree and a Menorah. I must get a dreidel!

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

> With the
> prayer thing, I can't see why people can't rotate the blessing so
> everyone gets to say out loud a prayer that is applicable to them. In
> your hearts you are still thanking your chosen deity or way of life
> but you are allowing freedom of expression for all.

Except the atheists.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:
>
>> With the
>> prayer thing, I can't see why people can't rotate the blessing so
>> everyone gets to say out loud a prayer that is applicable to them. In
>> your hearts you are still thanking your chosen deity or way of life
>> but you are allowing freedom of expression for all.

> Except the atheists.

Maybe. I am an atheist. It does really bother me that people choose to
pray but I do find it rather silly.

Summertime Favorites drinKay General 2 26-08-2013 06:57 AM
New twists on old favorites Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 1 31-12-2011 01:25 AM
N.C. Favorites? chefmcc Barbecue 6 07-06-2007 10:31 PM
My Favorites; Your Suggestions? Al in Dallas Beer 1 18-06-2004 05:36 PM
Wines that used to be favorites Dick R. Wine 3 26-02-2004 11:45 PM