Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Adaptations of Holiday Favorites

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> lol, i don't go for pc, but i often say happy holidays, so i don't say the
> wrong thing to an individual...
>
> lots of the food we have eaten forholidays over the years have evolved to
> lwer fat/sugar as we have all aged. dressing for example has half the
> butter and salt it used to and is still perfect... pumpkin pie... no crust
> but still in pie pan, you can use the standard recipe on the back of the
> pumpkin can but sub in splenda, and lower fat items and its still great.
>
> some things like pecan pie just can't be adapted... so now my sister
> "sliver" cuts them. this requires having it cooler, Lee

I guess I am lucky in that we don't really have any holiday traditions when
it comes to food. Used to be my mom would make a Jell-O salad that she
would forget to put on the table. Of course nobody would notice that it
wasn't there because nobody wanted it to begin with! Finally she just
stopped making it. Then she replaced that with deviled eggs which she
always wanted me to make. But then after the third or fourth year of nobody
touching them, I put my foot down and refused to make them.

In our house the tradition isn't food related. We just forget to take down
one decoration. And we don't usually notice it until waaay after the
holidays. This past year we just left it up. It's a nativity scene that
IMO is butt ugly. It's made of sticks and hay and crudely cut out and
painted people. It hangs on the wall. But Angela just fell in love with it
and had to have it. It's on the wall behind the TV and it just seems to
blend right in.

We didn't put out many other decorations this year. I got a new advent
calendar. We dragged a silk poinsettia out of the back house as well as a
tiny metal tree which Ballerina keeps taking in her mouth and running with.
Also my husband's stocking. Angela and I decided to give ours away and buy
new ones and I also got two for the cats. We bought a little 2 foot tree at
Target. It's silver tinsel with white lights and some balls. I let Angela
buy one more package of novelty ornaments and a little skirt at Big Lots and
we put up one string of lights. So it's just enough to make it look a bit
festive but it isn't going to be a pain to take it all down.