Dick R.

Default Wines that used to be favorites

Hi All,
The recent post about inexpensive wine to go with red pasta
reminded me of a wine that used to be one of my favorites.
Di Majo Norante Sangiovese - Terra degli Osci. The 97, 98, 99
and 2000 were all good. Then something terrible happened.
I opened a bottle of the 2001 and there was a sediment problem -
up to the neck of the bottle! I don't mind a little sediment,
but a whole bottle full! I should have brought the bottle back
to the store, but I poured the sludge down the drain. To be fair,
I did purchase a couple more bottles of the 2001, and they
weren't good. I should test the Di Majo again, one of these years,
but I can't get that bottle of "sludge" out of my mind.

Any recent tastings?
Dick

Andy

Agreed, I had a lot of time for Di Majo Norante when I visited Campania
recently. His Fiano was one of the finest available along with the
distinctive Feudo di San Gregorio.

I've not experienced the 2001 but I've certainly had previous years and take
note of your comments.

"Dick R." > wrote in message
> Hi All,
> The recent post about inexpensive wine to go with red pasta
> reminded me of a wine that used to be one of my favorites.
> Di Majo Norante Sangiovese - Terra degli Osci. The 97, 98, 99
> and 2000 were all good. Then something terrible happened.
> I opened a bottle of the 2001 and there was a sediment problem -
> up to the neck of the bottle! I don't mind a little sediment,
> but a whole bottle full! I should have brought the bottle back
> to the store, but I poured the sludge down the drain. To be fair,
> I did purchase a couple more bottles of the 2001, and they
> weren't good. I should test the Di Majo again, one of these years,
> but I can't get that bottle of "sludge" out of my mind.
>
> Any recent tastings?
> Dick

Dick,

are you Sure the entire bottle was sludge-filled?
I've never really seen this before, although a Byrd Maryland Cab
came close, but that only had about 2 inches of sludge in it.
Perhaps you received the bottled pomice that was meant for grappa
production?

Mark S

N.C. Favorites? chefmcc Barbecue 6 07-06-2007 10:31 PM
TN: wines with pasta, wines with rice noodles, wines with fondue DaleW Wine 1 26-12-2006 04:23 AM
TN: New friends, new wines, a few old favorites DaleW Wine 0 24-05-2005 08:47 PM
TN: New friends, new wines, a few old favorites Jim Wine 1 23-05-2005 03:13 PM
IPOT favorites? [email protected] Tea 0 17-02-2005 04:30 PM