Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Pecan Pie Experiment - Success!

I made the pecan pie with the Ideal sweetener and the almond meal and
butter crust. It was wonderful! DH really loved it. Of course we had
small portions and he checked his BG one and two hours after dinner and
no spikes!

This one is a keeper:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pecan Pie - Lower Carb

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : pies

Amount Measure Ingredient
1 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
1/4 cup Ideal brand sweetener
1/2 cup butter
3 eggs
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon milk (skim is fine)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. Stir
in the brown sugar, white sugar and the flour; mix well. Last add the
milk, vanilla and nuts.

Pour into a 9-in almond meal and butter pie shell that has been
pre-baked for 10 minutes. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400
degrees, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40
minutes, or until done.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sounds great, we don't get brown sugar sweeteners here, sadly.

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> I made the pecan pie with the Ideal sweetener and the almond meal and
> butter crust. It was wonderful! DH really loved it. Of course we had
> small portions and he checked his BG one and two hours after dinner
> and no spikes!
>
> This one is a keeper:
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Pecan Pie - Lower Carb
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
> Categories : pies
>
> Amount Measure Ingredient
> 1 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
> 1/4 cup Ideal brand sweetener
> 1/2 cup butter
> 3 eggs
> 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
> 1 tablespoon milk (skim is fine)
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1 cup chopped pecans
>
> Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
>
> In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter.
> Stir in the brown sugar, white sugar and the flour; mix well. Last add
> the milk, vanilla and nuts.
>
> Pour into a 9-in almond meal and butter pie shell that has been
> pre-baked for 10 minutes. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400
> degrees, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40
> minutes, or until done.
>

> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> I made the pecan pie with the Ideal sweetener and the almond meal and
> butter crust. It was wonderful! DH really loved it. Of course we had
> small portions and he checked his BG one and two hours after dinner and
> no spikes!
>
> This one is a keeper:

That's great, Janet! I'm glad it worked out so well for ya. I'll ask my
daughter to make it (for me).

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ http://anymarine.com/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks,

this is the kind of recipe i came here for in the first place, will be
sending this on to sister for christmas feast,

Lee
"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
>I made the pecan pie with the Ideal sweetener and the almond meal and
>butter crust. It was wonderful! DH really loved it. Of course we had small
>portions and he checked his BG one and two hours after dinner and no
>spikes!
>
> This one is a keeper:
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Pecan Pie - Lower Carb
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
> Categories : pies
>
> Amount Measure Ingredient
> 1 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
> 1/4 cup Ideal brand sweetener
> 1/2 cup butter
> 3 eggs
> 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
> 1 tablespoon milk (skim is fine)
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1 cup chopped pecans
>
> Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
>
> In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. Stir in
> the brown sugar, white sugar and the flour; mix well. Last add the milk,
> vanilla and nuts.
>
> Pour into a 9-in almond meal and butter pie shell that has been pre-baked
> for 10 minutes. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then
> reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until
> done.
>

> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

glad you posted, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> I made the pecan pie with the Ideal sweetener and the almond meal and
>> butter crust. It was wonderful! DH really loved it. Of course we had
>> small portions and he checked his BG one and two hours after dinner and
>> no spikes!
>>
>> This one is a keeper:

> That's great, Janet! I'm glad it worked out so well for ya. I'll ask my
> daughter to make it (for me).
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ http://anymarine.com/
> http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

That sounds really good.

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
>I made the pecan pie with the Ideal sweetener and the almond meal and
>butter crust. It was wonderful! DH really loved it. Of course we had small
>portions and he checked his BG one and two hours after dinner and no
>spikes!
>
> This one is a keeper:
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Pecan Pie - Lower Carb
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
> Categories : pies
>
> Amount Measure Ingredient
> 1 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
> 1/4 cup Ideal brand sweetener
> 1/2 cup butter
> 3 eggs
> 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
> 1 tablespoon milk (skim is fine)
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1 cup chopped pecans
>
> Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
>
> In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. Stir in
> the brown sugar, white sugar and the flour; mix well. Last add the milk,
> vanilla and nuts.
>
> Pour into a 9-in almond meal and butter pie shell that has been pre-baked
> for 10 minutes. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then
> reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until
> done.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: -------- ------------ --------------------------------
: 1 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
: 1/4 cup Ideal brand sweetener
: 1/2 cup butter
: 3 eggs
: 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
: 1 tablespoon milk (skim is fine)
: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
: 1 cup chopped pecans

: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

: In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. Stir
: in the brown sugar, white sugar and the flour; mix well. Last add the
: milk, vanilla and nuts.

: Pour into a 9-in almond meal and butter pie shell that has been
: pre-baked for 10 minutes. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400
: degrees, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40
: minutes, or until done.

Glad it was a success. One quesstion: do you find that the alond meal
needs the butter to make the crust? I find that when I used walnuts
processed to quite fine I can press it into a crus without added fat. I
use thi for both my cheesecake and pumpkin pie. I do add a bit of
sweetner to the nuts , particularly for the cheesecake, as tht usually
calls for a graham cracker crust with is sweetish.

Just wondering.

Wendy

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Way-the-heck-south Texas
: Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/25/2011 10:01 AM, W. Baker wrote:

> Glad it was a success. One quesstion: do you find that the alond meal
> needs the butter to make the crust? I find that when I used walnuts
> processed to quite fine I can press it into a crus without added fat. I
> use thi for both my cheesecake and pumpkin pie. I do add a bit of
> sweetner to the nuts , particularly for the cheesecake, as tht usually
> calls for a graham cracker crust with is sweetish.
>
> Just wondering.

I buy the almond meal in a package. Almonds aren't all that oily. If I
am grinding pecans myself, I will use a very small amount of butter or
oil. Haven't tried walnuts for a pie crust. Rankly the almond meal is
always in my freezer and it works so well I have no reason to try
anything else.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

its just half brown sugar and half splenda..you can make it yourself

or you can also use splenda with a bit of molasses but it wont Caramelize
like the real sugar will

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote in message ...

Sounds great, we don't get brown sugar sweeteners here, sadly.

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> I made the pecan pie with the Ideal sweetener and the almond meal and
> butter crust. It was wonderful! DH really loved it. Of course we had
> small portions and he checked his BG one and two hours after dinner and no
> spikes!
>
> This one is a keeper:
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Pecan Pie - Lower Carb
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
> Categories : pies
>
> Amount Measure Ingredient
> 1 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
> 1/4 cup Ideal brand sweetener
> 1/2 cup butter
> 3 eggs
> 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
> 1 tablespoon milk (skim is fine)
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1 cup chopped pecans
>
> Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
>
> In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. Stir in
> the brown sugar, white sugar and the flour; mix well. Last add the milk,
> vanilla and nuts.
>
> Pour into a 9-in almond meal and butter pie shell that has been pre-baked
> for 10 minutes. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then
> reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until
> done.
>

> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message
> I too funny enough am doing a pecan pie for Christmas..great minds and
> all that I guess..lol
>
> I was thinking of doing a old fashioned pecan pie recipe with subs
> cooked in small filo dough cups

Sounds unusual but let us know what it tastes like.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message
> its just half brown sugar and half splenda..you can make it yourself
>
> or you can also use splenda with a bit of molasses but it wont
> Caramelize like the real sugar will
>
> KROM

Ah thanks. I thought it was a brown sugar tasting sweetener.

> "Ozgirl" wrote in message ...
>
> Sounds great, we don't get brown sugar sweeteners here, sadly.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "KROM" > wrote in message
: ...
: > its just half brown sugar and half splenda..you can make it yourself
: >
: > or you can also use splenda with a bit of molasses but it wont
: > Caramelize like the real sugar will
: >
: > KROM

: Ah thanks. I thought it was a brown sugar tasting sweetener.

: > "Ozgirl" wrote in message ...
: >
: > Sounds great, we don't get brown sugar sweeteners here, sadly.
:

The Canadian cyclamate one is a brown sugar tasing artificial one, no
real sugar at all and I believe the Diabetasweet is also all artificial.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I could do a nut crust but since Christmas is my one time a year splurge I
will use a pastry for the mini pecan pies like filo <sp?> or a rolled very
thin pastry dough

pecan pies pre ww2 were made with sugar syrups or maple and not corn syrup.

corn syrup be it reg or hfcs spikes me like made for a long time and sends
me out of whack for a day or so...pure cane sugar will raise me but drop me
down right away and I'm fine after..id rather once a year take a quick hit
to say 140 and done and never hit that again all year then a couple days at
120 after the original 140 spike.

but then again I might just behave and go with a nut crust and toasted
pecans sitting on a custard filling rather then a syrupy one...not decided
yet.

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote in message ...

"KROM" > wrote in message
> I too funny enough am doing a pecan pie for Christmas..great minds and all
> that I guess..lol
>
> I was thinking of doing a old fashioned pecan pie recipe with subs cooked
> in small filo dough cups

Sounds unusual but let us know what it tastes like.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/25/2011 8:06 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> > wrote:
>

> : > wrote in message
> : ...
> :> its just half brown sugar and half splenda..you can make it yourself
> :>
> :> or you can also use splenda with a bit of molasses but it wont
> :> Caramelize like the real sugar will
> :>
> :> KROM
>
> : Ah thanks. I thought it was a brown sugar tasting sweetener.
>
> :> "Ozgirl" wrote in message ...
> :>
> :> Sounds great, we don't get brown sugar sweeteners here, sadly.
> :
>
> The Canadian cyclamate one is a brown sugar tasing artificial one, no
> real sugar at all and I believe the Diabetasweet is also all artificial.

Sugar Twin brand used to make a brown sugar sub that didn't have any
regular sugar in it. Is that still available?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 11/25/2011 8:06 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>

>> : > wrote in message
>> : ...
>> :> its just half brown sugar and half splenda..you can make it yourself
>> :>
>> :> or you can also use splenda with a bit of molasses but it wont
>> :> Caramelize like the real sugar will
>> :>
>> :> KROM
>>
>> : Ah thanks. I thought it was a brown sugar tasting sweetener.
>>
>> :> "Ozgirl" wrote in message ...
>> :>
>> :> Sounds great, we don't get brown sugar sweeteners here, sadly.
>> :
>>
>> The Canadian cyclamate one is a brown sugar tasing artificial one, no
>> real sugar at all and I believe the Diabetasweet is also all artificial.
>>

> Sugar Twin brand used to make a brown sugar sub that didn't have any
> regular sugar in it. Is that still available?

I haven't seen it in the stores for a long time.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: >
: > The Canadian cyclamate one is a brown sugar tasing artificial one, no
: > real sugar at all and I believe the Diabetasweet is also all artificial.
: >

: Sugar Twin brand used to make a brown sugar sub that didn't have any
: regular sugar in it. Is that still available?

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Way-the-heck-south Texas
: Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

The Canadian one I had was Sugar Twin, but they can't have it in the US.
Perhaps they made a saccharine one here, but i have not seen it for years.

Wendy

Pecan pie success Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 4 26-12-2012 05:00 AM
popcorn experiment was a success! krom Diabetic 16 24-08-2008 06:27 AM
Pie Success! The Ranger[_2_] General Cooking 10 12-09-2007 03:02 PM
Success! chimera[_3_] Sourdough 1 18-03-2007 06:11 PM
Success Sindir Preserving 20 01-11-2005 04:53 AM