Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default One reason not to eat cornbread!

First let me say I am very annoyed with this company. It is Allergy Free
Foods. I first learned of this company when I was looking for a dairy free
cheese, which they used to make. It was beef based. Somehow they made it
taste *just* like cheese. All different kinds. It even melted like cheese.
The problem? It made me puke. Every time I ate it. So maybe too much fat
for me. I don't know.

They stopped selling the cheese but said they were going to reformulate it
to make it taste better. I had hope! But this never happened.

They also sold whole sheet cakes and cornbread. Angela loved these. But
they stopped selling them on their website and began selling them for an
over inflated price on one of the TV type home shopping channels. Still, a
whole sheetcake cut into serving size pieces, put in containers and put in
the freezer would last her a year.

They also sold gravy mixes. I bought those and also some cornbread mix.
Which leads me to the icky cornbread story.

I had two mixes that I was saving. For what? I don't know. But I decided
to make one today. They were old. I do know that. And long story short,
there were weevils in it. Which I didn't realize until I had mixed it up.

I threw it out and hesitantly opened the other one. No bugs. The weevils
in the other mix were dead. The mix was in a thick plastic bag that
appeared to be sealed from all sides. Not even a pin hole. How they got in
there is beyond me. I checked all my other flour and such and didn't see
any signs of weevils. I asked Angela if she would be willing to try it
because I know how she is about stuff like that. She wanted it and she
likes the end result. I would have been just as happy to do without it.

Anyway... That was not what I wanted to see! I have seen weevils a few
times in the past. The first time was in some paprika that belonged to my
landlord. He told me after the fact that the spices were very old and had
come from his cabin. These were the days when all spices still came in
metal cans.

The next time wasn't actually weevils, or maybe it was, but larvae on the
flour aisle. I didn't buy anything in that store from that aisle.

The next time was in a Jiffy cake mix that I had mail ordered. Again, just
in one mix. Again dead.

So... How do those things get in there?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> First let me say I am very annoyed with this company. It is Allergy Free
> Foods. I first learned of this company when I was looking for a dairy free
> cheese, which they used to make. It was beef based. Somehow they made it
> taste *just* like cheese. All different kinds. It even melted like cheese.
> The problem? It made me puke. Every time I ate it. So maybe too much fat
> for me. I don't know.
>
> They stopped selling the cheese but said they were going to reformulate it
> to make it taste better. I had hope! But this never happened.
>
> They also sold whole sheet cakes and cornbread. Angela loved these. But
> they stopped selling them on their website and began selling them for an
> over inflated price on one of the TV type home shopping channels. Still, a
> whole sheetcake cut into serving size pieces, put in containers and put in
> the freezer would last her a year.
>
> They also sold gravy mixes. I bought those and also some cornbread mix.
> Which leads me to the icky cornbread story.

why on earth would a diabetic even consider eating most of these? oh wait, it's
because julie can then complain that it raised her blood sugars to unacceptably
high levels
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

they are in there from the harvest of whatever grain is in the mix, its best
to buy anything with grain and freeze for 72 hours to start with, they are
in most items, but if they are frozen you never see them, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> First let me say I am very annoyed with this company. It is Allergy Free
> Foods. I first learned of this company when I was looking for a dairy
> free cheese, which they used to make. It was beef based. Somehow they
> made it taste *just* like cheese. All different kinds. It even melted
> like cheese. The problem? It made me puke. Every time I ate it. So
> maybe too much fat for me. I don't know.
>
> They stopped selling the cheese but said they were going to reformulate it
> to make it taste better. I had hope! But this never happened.
>
> They also sold whole sheet cakes and cornbread. Angela loved these. But
> they stopped selling them on their website and began selling them for an
> over inflated price on one of the TV type home shopping channels. Still,
> a whole sheetcake cut into serving size pieces, put in containers and put
> in the freezer would last her a year.
>
> They also sold gravy mixes. I bought those and also some cornbread mix.
> Which leads me to the icky cornbread story.
>
> I had two mixes that I was saving. For what? I don't know. But I
> decided to make one today. They were old. I do know that. And long
> story short, there were weevils in it. Which I didn't realize until I had
> mixed it up.
>
> I threw it out and hesitantly opened the other one. No bugs. The weevils
> in the other mix were dead. The mix was in a thick plastic bag that
> appeared to be sealed from all sides. Not even a pin hole. How they got
> in there is beyond me. I checked all my other flour and such and didn't
> see any signs of weevils. I asked Angela if she would be willing to try
> it because I know how she is about stuff like that. She wanted it and she
> likes the end result. I would have been just as happy to do without it.
>
> Anyway... That was not what I wanted to see! I have seen weevils a few
> times in the past. The first time was in some paprika that belonged to my
> landlord. He told me after the fact that the spices were very old and had
> come from his cabin. These were the days when all spices still came in
> metal cans.
>
> The next time wasn't actually weevils, or maybe it was, but larvae on the
> flour aisle. I didn't buy anything in that store from that aisle.
>
> The next time was in a Jiffy cake mix that I had mail ordered. Again,
> just in one mix. Again dead.
>
> So... How do those things get in there?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> they are in there from the harvest of whatever grain is in the mix, its
> best to buy anything with grain and freeze for 72 hours to start with,
> they are in most items, but if they are frozen you never see them, Lee

Really? I didn't know that. Ew.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

yes even rice gets frozen at my house, i figure what dh doesn't ssee won't
make me hurl, but just about everything that is a grain has them, they are
too small to see in most grains, so freeze fix and eat... actually we kept
all of our flour and grains in the freezer only taking out what we might use
in a week or so, besides keeping the bugs out, it kept the stuff fresher as
we aren't big flour users anymore, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> they are in there from the harvest of whatever grain is in the mix, its
>> best to buy anything with grain and freeze for 72 hours to start with,
>> they are in most items, but if they are frozen you never see them, Lee

> Really? I didn't know that. Ew.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> they are in there from the harvest of whatever grain is in the mix,
>> its best to buy anything with grain and freeze for 72 hours to start
>> with, they are in most items, but if they are frozen you never see
>> them, Lee

> Really? I didn't know that. Ew.

You've probably eaten a few and not noticed. They are harmless.