Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Unstuffed peppers.

This is not my recipe. I saw a recipe posted elsewhere for unstuffed
peppers that contained rice. It sounded really good! We all love stuffed
peppers but they are hard to eat, IMO and Angela and my husband won't eat
the peppers. But they like the flavor the peppers give. I think they would
eat this though because they will eat other things that have peppers mixed
in. The following recipe is low carb. No rice in it. I would probably add
a small amount of rice when making it for us. But... I don't know what
beef soup base is. Does anyone know? Hopefully we're not allergic to it.
I do have some tubes of concentrate that when mixed with water will make a
broth. Do you think this would work? Or is it a powder of some sort? Or
could I do without it?

Thanks. Oh, here's the recipe:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=801861

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

My first father in law used to have what was called beef tea. It was
basically some topside steak stewed slowly in a fair bit of water with a
bit of salt. He drank it as he wouldn't eat meat.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> This is not my recipe. I saw a recipe posted elsewhere for unstuffed
> peppers that contained rice. It sounded really good! We all love
> stuffed peppers but they are hard to eat, IMO and Angela and my
> husband won't eat the peppers. But they like the flavor the peppers
> give. I think they would eat this though because they will eat other
> things that have peppers mixed in. The following recipe is low carb.
> No rice in it. I would probably add a small amount of rice when
> making it for us. But... I don't know what beef soup base is. Does
> anyone know? Hopefully we're not allergic to it. I do have some tubes
> of concentrate that when mixed with water will make a broth. Do you
> think this would work? Or is it a powder of some sort? Or could I do
> without it?
>
> Thanks. Oh, here's the recipe:
>
> http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=801861

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> My first father in law used to have what was called beef tea. It was
> basically some topside steak stewed slowly in a fair bit of water with a
> bit of salt. He drank it as he wouldn't eat meat.

I have seen recipes for that in really old cookbooks. Supposed to be good
for people who are ill.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

beef soup base in the resto trade is a powder you can look at it at costco
sams and some upscale places like whole foods... it is just a flavor thing
broth and concentrate might work just fine... i didn't look at the recipe.
no time this morning.

Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> This is not my recipe. I saw a recipe posted elsewhere for unstuffed
> peppers that contained rice. It sounded really good! We all love stuffed
> peppers but they are hard to eat, IMO and Angela and my husband won't eat
> the peppers. But they like the flavor the peppers give. I think they
> would eat this though because they will eat other things that have peppers
> mixed in. The following recipe is low carb. No rice in it. I would
> probably add a small amount of rice when making it for us. But... I
> don't know what beef soup base is. Does anyone know? Hopefully we're not
> allergic to it. I do have some tubes of concentrate that when mixed with
> water will make a broth. Do you think this would work? Or is it a powder
> of some sort? Or could I do without it?
>
> Thanks. Oh, here's the recipe:
>
> http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=801861

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee wrote:
> beef soup base in the resto trade is a powder you can look at it at
> costco sams and some upscale places like whole foods... it is just a
> flavor thing broth and concentrate might work just fine... i didn't

Well crud. If a powder it probably has wheat in it. Restaurant soup always
has wheat in it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
: Storrmmee wrote:
: > beef soup base in the resto trade is a powder you can look at it at
: > costco sams and some upscale places like whole foods... it is just a
: > flavor thing broth and concentrate might work just fine... i didn't

: Well crud. If a powder it probably has wheat in it. Restaurant soup always
: has wheat in it.
You could alwasy use a beef buillion or a canned beef stock or home made
beef stock, which you cna freeze for future use too. or just skip it,
assing, perhaps a bit more salt, as these are generally fairly salty.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : Storrmmee wrote:
> : > beef soup base in the resto trade is a powder you can look at it at
> : > costco sams and some upscale places like whole foods... it is just a
> : > flavor thing broth and concentrate might work just fine... i didn't
>
> : Well crud. If a powder it probably has wheat in it. Restaurant soup
> always
> : has wheat in it.
> You could alwasy use a beef buillion or a canned beef stock or home made
> beef stock, which you cna freeze for future use too. or just skip it,
> assing, perhaps a bit more salt, as these are generally fairly salty.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 29/10/2011 7:26 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> beef soup base in the resto trade is a powder you can look at it at
>> costco sams and some upscale places like whole foods... it is just a
>> flavor thing broth and concentrate might work just fine... i didn't

> Well crud. If a powder it probably has wheat in it. Restaurant soup always
> has wheat in it.

From a cookbook from 1877

Very strong Beef Tea.—(This tea contains every nutritious element of the
beef.)—Cut two pounds of lean beef into small dice, put it into a
covered jar without water, and place it in a moderate[Pg 130] oven for
four hours, then strain off the gravy, and dilute it to the desired
strength with boiling water.

Beef Tea.—(A quick preparation for immediate use.)—Chop one pound of
lean beef fine, put it into a bowl, and cover it with cold water; let it
stand for fifteen or twenty minutes, and then pour both beef and liquid
into a sauce-pan, and place them over the fire to boil from fifteen to
thirty minutes as time will permit; then strain off the liquid, season
it slightly, and serve it at once.

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

just use broth or whatever angela can have its just flavoring. Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> beef soup base in the resto trade is a powder you can look at it at
>> costco sams and some upscale places like whole foods... it is just a
>> flavor thing broth and concentrate might work just fine... i didn't

> Well crud. If a powder it probably has wheat in it. Restaurant soup
> always has wheat in it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> just use broth or whatever angela can have its just flavoring. Lee

Okay. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

and i was thinking after i sent that last message, if you actually get the
good base, goya brand iirc, you might not find wheat but you might be more
apt to find soy, and iirc that is also an issue, so if you do decide to look
be very careful as resto ingrs, often have different names for the same
things, "natural flavor enhancers" is usually msg. Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> just use broth or whatever angela can have its just flavoring. Lee

> Okay. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> and i was thinking after i sent that last message, if you actually get the
> good base, goya brand iirc, you might not find wheat but you might be more
> apt to find soy, and iirc that is also an issue, so if you do decide to
> look be very careful as resto ingrs, often have different names for the
> same things, "natural flavor enhancers" is usually msg. Lee

Goya is not safe for people with food allergies but I can't remember why.
Peanuts, maybe. I think it is made on shared equipment.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i remebered there was an issue but wasn't sure which, one of my classes
talked about how to minimize/elimate allergins that were easily done away
with and what one could substitute, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> and i was thinking after i sent that last message, if you actually get
>> the good base, goya brand iirc, you might not find wheat but you might be
>> more apt to find soy, and iirc that is also an issue, so if you do decide
>> to look be very careful as resto ingrs, often have different names for
>> the same things, "natural flavor enhancers" is usually msg. Lee

> Goya is not safe for people with food allergies but I can't remember why.
> Peanuts, maybe. I think it is made on shared equipment.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, RodS > wrote:

> From a cookbook from 1877
>

> Very strong Beef Tea.‹(This tea contains every nutritious element of the
> beef.)‹Cut two pounds of lean beef into small dice, put it into a
> covered jar without water, and place it in a moderate[Pg 130] oven for
> four hours, then strain off the gravy, and dilute it to the desired
> strength with boiling water.
>
> Beef Tea.‹(A quick preparation for immediate use.)‹Chop one pound of
> lean beef fine, put it into a bowl, and cover it with cold water; let it
> stand for fifteen or twenty minutes, and then pour both beef and liquid
> into a sauce-pan, and place them over the fire to boil from fifteen to
> thirty minutes as time will permit; then strain off the liquid, season
> it slightly, and serve it at once.

I wonder why they don't say to put the beef in a cold pot and cover it
with cold water and let it stand.

Why dirty an extra bowl?

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/11/2011 2:48 AM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> In >, > wrote:
>
>> From a cookbook from 1877
>>

>> Very strong Beef Tea.‹(This tea contains every nutritious element of the
>> beef.)‹Cut two pounds of lean beef into small dice, put it into a
>> covered jar without water, and place it in a moderate[Pg 130] oven for
>> four hours, then strain off the gravy, and dilute it to the desired
>> strength with boiling water.
>>
>> Beef Tea.‹(A quick preparation for immediate use.)‹Chop one pound of
>> lean beef fine, put it into a bowl, and cover it with cold water; let it
>> stand for fifteen or twenty minutes, and then pour both beef and liquid
>> into a sauce-pan, and place them over the fire to boil from fifteen to
>> thirty minutes as time will permit; then strain off the liquid, season
>> it slightly, and serve it at once.

> I wonder why they don't say to put the beef in a cold pot and cover it
> with cold water and let it stand.
>
> Why dirty an extra bowl?
>
> PP

It was 1877 probably didn't matter, the maid did the washing up :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia