Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default making my own pickles

the store had a sale on seedless cucumbers and they were pretty bitter to
eat plain so I thought id give pickling a try.

turned out awesome!

I tried two different methods..cold and hot

I like cold best as it’s a milder flavors and crisper pickle.

so far I've pickled cucumbers and onions..both excellent.

my brine has fairly low sodium so wife can eat them.

it has fresh dill and dill seed..coriander seeds..black and whit pepper
corns..fresh onion and garlic and a few drops liquid splenda for balance.

people are going nuts over them at work asking me to bring in more and
more..lol

they don’t know it has low sodium and no sugar

for lunch I will use a low carb tortilla and mustard and mayo and some of
the onion and pickle and deli pastrami..very good!

I am sad I never pickled before its so easy and good!

KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM > wrote:
[...]

If you are doing them low saalt, be careful to eat them reasonably proptly
and keep them refrigerated, as the salt is the preservative.

By the way traditional dill or kosher pickles contain no sugar. They
do, however, take quite a while to make and age properly.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I give them 3 days in the fridge to cure and then eat them all within a
couple days

:-)

yeah I figured without all the salt they wouldnt last as long..soooo yummy
though!

I am not brave enough to try real canning with seal rings etc..at least not
until I somehow lose my black thumb with the garden..lol

I literally have killed off chives..

KROM

"W. Baker" wrote in message ...

KROM > wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM > wrote:
: I give them 3 days in the fridge to cure and then eat them all within a
: couple days

: :-)

: yeah I figured without all the salt they wouldn?t last as long..soooo yummy
: though!

: I am not brave enough to try real canning with seal rings etc..at least not
: until I somehow lose my black thumb with the garden..lol

: I literally have killed off chives..

: KROM

You may need a green thumb to garden and grow stuff, but not to can. You
can get stuff in season fairly cheaply and put it up yourself, either
canning or freezing. if you are serious about canning get the BallBle
Book. This is the bible of canning and is a geed place to start. It has
all kinds of instructions and recipes. When canning you do have to be
very careful about following instruction, particualrly when makign mixed
foods adn not use any more, say onions than the recipe calls for. It can
be fun adn tasty. Freezing can also be good.

The
blue book may ot be the sexiest canning book around, but it covers all the
basics with good illustrated directions etc. i also do berry jams without
sugar and use the special pectins they make that don't require added
sugar. For these, use the intsructions that com in the pectin packages.
NOVER DOUBLE A RECIPE and make in small jars, as without sugar the jams
spoil quite quickly. 8 oz jars are the biggest adn the 4 oz might be
even better if you don't use jam every day. I, also don't add the
sweetener when I make the jam, but add it when I open the jar with a
little added water and stir it in. Some of the sweeteners don't have a
long shelf life in wet stuff.

God luck and don't be afraid. Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

raises hand, i think with that thumb, we are probably related somewhere
along the way, Lee
"KROM" > wrote in message ...
>I give them 3 days in the fridge to cure and then eat them all within a
>couple days
>
> :-)
>
> yeah I figured without all the salt they wouldn't last as long..soooo
> yummy though!
>
> I am not brave enough to try real canning with seal rings etc..at least
> not until I somehow lose my black thumb with the garden..lol
>
> I literally have killed off chives..
>
> KROM
>

> "W. Baker" wrote in message ...
>
> KROM > wrote:
> : the store had a sale on seedless cucumbers and they were pretty bitter
> : eat plain so I thought id give pickling a try.
>
> : turned out awesome!
>
> : I tried two different methods..cold and hot
>
> : I like cold best as it?s a milder flavors and crisper pickle.
>
> : so far I've pickled cucumbers and onions..both excellent.
>
> : my brine has fairly low sodium so wife can eat them.
>
> : it has fresh dill and dill seed..coriander seeds..black and whit pepper
> : corns..fresh onion and garlic and a few drops liquid splenda for
> balance.
>
> : people are going nuts over them at work asking me to bring in more and
> : more..lol
>
> : they don?t know it has low sodium and no sugar
>
> : for lunch I will use a low carb tortilla and mustard and mayo and some
> of
> : the onion and pickle and deli pastrami..very good!
>
> : I am sad I never pickled before its so easy and good!
>
> : KROM
>
> If you are doing them low saalt, be careful to eat them reasonably proptly
> and keep them refrigerated, as the salt is the preservative.
>
> By the way traditional dill or kosher pickles contain no sugar. They
> do, however, take quite a while to make and age properly.
>

> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thank you for the recommendation!

I will buy the book this week

KROM

"W. Baker" wrote
[...]

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

yes its terrible..the way I garden now is get the seeds cheap and play
survival of the fittest ..whatever lives is the un killable mutant
winner..lol

I planted about 20 sunflowers and 3 lived..two tiny baby ones and one 12
foot tall mutant with a head the size of a hubcap..lol

sadly I know that wont ever happen again..

the only thing I cant kill are hostas and some weird ground vine that
infests my garden..sigh

KROM

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
>I give them 3 days in the fridge to cure and then eat them all within a
>couple days
>
> :-)
>
> yeah I figured without all the salt they wouldn't last as long..soooo
> yummy though!
>
> I am not brave enough to try real canning with seal rings etc..at least
> not until I somehow lose my black thumb with the garden..lol
>
> I literally have killed off chives..
>
> KROM
>

> "W. Baker" wrote in message ...
>
> KROM > wrote:
> : the store had a sale on seedless cucumbers and they were pretty bitter
> : eat plain so I thought id give pickling a try.
>
> : turned out awesome!
>
> : I tried two different methods..cold and hot
>
> : I like cold best as it?s a milder flavors and crisper pickle.
>
> : so far I've pickled cucumbers and onions..both excellent.
>
> : my brine has fairly low sodium so wife can eat them.
>
> : it has fresh dill and dill seed..coriander seeds..black and whit pepper
> : corns..fresh onion and garlic and a few drops liquid splenda for
> balance.
>
> : people are going nuts over them at work asking me to bring in more and
> : more..lol
>
> : they don?t know it has low sodium and no sugar
>
> : for lunch I will use a low carb tortilla and mustard and mayo and some
> of
> : the onion and pickle and deli pastrami..very good!
>
> : I am sad I never pickled before its so easy and good!
>
> : KROM
>
> If you are doing them low saalt, be careful to eat them reasonably proptly
> and keep them refrigerated, as the salt is the preservative.
>
> By the way traditional dill or kosher pickles contain no sugar. They
> do, however, take quite a while to make and age properly.
>

> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

you got three more sunflowers than i would have,... and my mom, sister and
best female friend can basically give a plant a dirty look and have it
grown, Lee