Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Thai fish cakes

I love these

http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaisea...cfishcakes.htm

I won't reprint the whole recipes but here's a list if ingredients so
Lee can see them:

Ingredients:
1 lb (.454 kg) white-fleshed fish fillets (I like cod)
6 kaffir lime leaves, snipped into thin strips with scissors
3 Tbsp. coconut milk
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
1/2 tsp. shrimp paste
1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
1/3 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. brown sugar
3 green onions, sliced
1 thumb-size piece galangal OR ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic
1 red chili, sliced, OR 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili
1/3 to 1/2 cucumber (to accompany cakes)
oil for high temp. frying
To SERVE: Thai sweet chili sauce, lime wedges, handful fresh coriander

Now, does it get any better than that? BTW, I have never made Thai fish
cakes but I have them at Thai restaurants

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that sounds wonderful, wonder if i could sub something in for the shrimp, i
don't eat shrimp of any kind, but the rest sounds yummy, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>I love these
>
> http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaisea...cfishcakes.htm
>
> I won't reprint the whole recipes but here's a list if ingredients so Lee
> can see them:
>
> Ingredients:
> 1 lb (.454 kg) white-fleshed fish fillets (I like cod)
> 6 kaffir lime leaves, snipped into thin strips with scissors
> 3 Tbsp. coconut milk
> 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
> 1/2 tsp. shrimp paste
> 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
> 1/3 tsp. ground cumin
> 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
> 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
> 3 green onions, sliced
> 1 thumb-size piece galangal OR ginger, grated
> 3 cloves garlic
> 1 red chili, sliced, OR 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili
> 1/3 to 1/2 cucumber (to accompany cakes)
> oil for high temp. frying
> To SERVE: Thai sweet chili sauce, lime wedges, handful fresh coriander
>
> Now, does it get any better than that? BTW, I have never made Thai fish
> cakes but I have them at Thai restaurants

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I'd just leave the shrimp paste out Lee. Doubt 1/2 teaspoon would be a
big loss. I notice they use fresh coriander (cilantro) in the garnish
but dried in the cakes. The ones I buy here have fresh in the cakes too.

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> that sounds wonderful, wonder if i could sub something in for the
> shrimp, i don't eat shrimp of any kind, but the rest sounds yummy, Lee
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>I love these
>>
>> http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaisea...cfishcakes.htm
>>
>> I won't reprint the whole recipes but here's a list if ingredients so
>> Lee can see them:
>>
>> Ingredients:
>> 1 lb (.454 kg) white-fleshed fish fillets (I like cod)
>> 6 kaffir lime leaves, snipped into thin strips with scissors
>> 3 Tbsp. coconut milk
>> 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
>> 1/2 tsp. shrimp paste
>> 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
>> 1/3 tsp. ground cumin
>> 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
>> 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
>> 3 green onions, sliced
>> 1 thumb-size piece galangal OR ginger, grated
>> 3 cloves garlic
>> 1 red chili, sliced, OR 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili
>> 1/3 to 1/2 cucumber (to accompany cakes)
>> oil for high temp. frying
>> To SERVE: Thai sweet chili sauce, lime wedges, handful fresh
>> coriander
>>
>> Now, does it get any better than that? BTW, I have never made Thai
>> fish cakes but I have them at Thai restaurants

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, this one is in the saved file for fututre consideration, while we do
ok for hotel living i have limited ingr. space i think i have like fifty new
recipes to play with in the future, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> I'd just leave the shrimp paste out Lee. Doubt 1/2 teaspoon would be a big
> loss. I notice they use fresh coriander (cilantro) in the garnish but
> dried in the cakes. The ones I buy here have fresh in the cakes too.
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> that sounds wonderful, wonder if i could sub something in for the shrimp,
>> i don't eat shrimp of any kind, but the rest sounds yummy, Lee
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>>I love these
>>>
>>> http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaisea...cfishcakes.htm
>>>
>>> I won't reprint the whole recipes but here's a list if ingredients so
>>> Lee can see them:
>>>
>>> Ingredients:
>>> 1 lb (.454 kg) white-fleshed fish fillets (I like cod)
>>> 6 kaffir lime leaves, snipped into thin strips with scissors
>>> 3 Tbsp. coconut milk
>>> 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
>>> 1/2 tsp. shrimp paste
>>> 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
>>> 1/3 tsp. ground cumin
>>> 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
>>> 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
>>> 3 green onions, sliced
>>> 1 thumb-size piece galangal OR ginger, grated
>>> 3 cloves garlic
>>> 1 red chili, sliced, OR 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili
>>> 1/3 to 1/2 cucumber (to accompany cakes)
>>> oil for high temp. frying
>>> To SERVE: Thai sweet chili sauce, lime wedges, handful fresh coriander
>>>
>>> Now, does it get any better than that? BTW, I have never made Thai fish
>>> cakes but I have them at Thai restaurants

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> I love these
>
> http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaisea...cfishcakes.htm
>
> I won't reprint the whole recipes but here's a list if ingredients so
> Lee can see them:
>
> Ingredients:
> 1 lb (.454 kg) white-fleshed fish fillets (I like cod)
> 6 kaffir lime leaves, snipped into thin strips with scissors
> 3 Tbsp. coconut milk

Thick coconut milk is best

> 2 Tbsp. fish sauce

Less is better than more, but SOME is essential

> 1/2 tsp. shrimp paste
> 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
> 1/3 tsp. ground cumin
> 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
> 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
> 3 green onions, sliced
> 1 thumb-size piece galangal OR ginger, grated

Galanga tastes completely diffent than ginger

> 3 cloves garlic
> 1 red chili, sliced, OR 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili
> 1/3 to 1/2 cucumber (to accompany cakes)
> oil for high temp. frying
> To SERVE: Thai sweet chili sauce, lime wedges, handful fresh coriander
>
> Now, does it get any better than that? BTW, I have never made Thai fish
> cakes but I have them at Thai restaurants

My Thai wife, Jun, makes them sometimes. Not exactly the same, but close
enough. They are good!

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ http://anymarine.com/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> I love these
>>
>> http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaisea...cfishcakes.htm
>>
>> I won't reprint the whole recipes but here's a list if ingredients so
>> Lee can see them:
>>
>> Ingredients:
>> 1 lb (.454 kg) white-fleshed fish fillets (I like cod)
>> 6 kaffir lime leaves, snipped into thin strips with scissors
>> 3 Tbsp. coconut milk

> Thick coconut milk is best
>
>> 2 Tbsp. fish sauce

> Less is better than more, but SOME is essential
>
>> 1/2 tsp. shrimp paste
>> 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
>> 1/3 tsp. ground cumin
>> 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
>> 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
>> 3 green onions, sliced
>> 1 thumb-size piece galangal OR ginger, grated

> Galanga tastes completely diffent than ginger
>
>> 3 cloves garlic
>> 1 red chili, sliced, OR 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili
>> 1/3 to 1/2 cucumber (to accompany cakes)
>> oil for high temp. frying
>> To SERVE: Thai sweet chili sauce, lime wedges, handful fresh
>> coriander
>>
>> Now, does it get any better than that? BTW, I have never made Thai
>> fish
>> cakes but I have them at Thai restaurants

> My Thai wife, Jun, makes them sometimes. Not exactly the same, but
> close
> enough. They are good!
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Yes, the authentic ones would be much better. What's better, galangal or
ginger?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

hi nick!!!

I am not sure if you have been posting and were getting blocked or if you
just started again, i recently had to dump the kf as tiger lily and some
other posters were getting blcked, and now you are back, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> I love these
>>
>> http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaisea...cfishcakes.htm
>>
>> I won't reprint the whole recipes but here's a list if ingredients so
>> Lee can see them:
>>
>> Ingredients:
>> 1 lb (.454 kg) white-fleshed fish fillets (I like cod)
>> 6 kaffir lime leaves, snipped into thin strips with scissors
>> 3 Tbsp. coconut milk

> Thick coconut milk is best
>
>> 2 Tbsp. fish sauce

> Less is better than more, but SOME is essential
>
>> 1/2 tsp. shrimp paste
>> 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
>> 1/3 tsp. ground cumin
>> 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
>> 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
>> 3 green onions, sliced
>> 1 thumb-size piece galangal OR ginger, grated

> Galanga tastes completely diffent than ginger
>
>> 3 cloves garlic
>> 1 red chili, sliced, OR 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili
>> 1/3 to 1/2 cucumber (to accompany cakes)
>> oil for high temp. frying
>> To SERVE: Thai sweet chili sauce, lime wedges, handful fresh coriander
>>
>> Now, does it get any better than that? BTW, I have never made Thai fish
>> cakes but I have them at Thai restaurants

> My Thai wife, Jun, makes them sometimes. Not exactly the same, but close
> enough. They are good!
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ http://anymarine.com/
> http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> >> I love these
> >>
> >> http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaisea...cfishcakes.htm

> >> 1 thumb-size piece galangal OR ginger, grated

> > Galanga tastes completely diffent than ginger

> Yes, the authentic ones would be much better. What's better, galangal or
> ginger?

Ginger is good in stir-fried or steamed dishes; but in curries, galanga is
called for. Jun just explained it to me, but lost me. Do you have her
recipe website, hosted by Steve Wertz, a non-diabetic from Austin, Texas?

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ http://anymarine.com/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:

>> > Galanga tastes completely diffent than ginger

>> Yes, the authentic ones would be much better. What's better, galangal
>> or
>> ginger?

> Ginger is good in stir-fried or steamed dishes; but in curries,
> galanga is
> called for. Jun just explained it to me, but lost me. Do you have her
> recipe website, hosted by Steve Wertz, a non-diabetic from Austin,
> Texas?

I have been there but didn't bookmark it. But from memory I just googled
her name and found my way there.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote:
> hi nick!!!
>
> I am not sure if you have been posting and were getting blocked or if you
> just started again, i recently had to dump the kf as tiger lily and some
> other posters were getting blcked, and now you are back, Lee

Hi Lee!

I was offline for around six months, since 12/17/2010. Thanks for
remembering me! Here's a picture of me for ya:

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ http://anymarine.com/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> >> Yes, the authentic ones would be much better. What's better, galangal
> >> or
> >> ginger?

> > Ginger is good in stir-fried or steamed dishes; but in curries,
> > galanga is
> > called for. Jun just explained it to me, but lost me. Do you have her
> > recipe website, hosted by Steve Wertz, a non-diabetic from Austin,
> > Texas?

> I have been there but didn't bookmark it. But from memory I just googled
> her name and found my way there.

Good. Fish cakes are Tord Mon. You want to use Red Curry #2 in them.

BTW Jun knows of you and Jasmine, as our eight-year old grandson is very
severely autistic, and Jun keeps you both in her prayers.

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ http://anymarine.com/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:

>> I have been there but didn't bookmark it. But from memory I just
>> googled
>> her name and found my way there.

> Good. Fish cakes are Tord Mon. You want to use Red Curry #2 in them.
>
> BTW Jun knows of you and Jasmine, as our eight-year old grandson is
> very
> severely autistic, and Jun keeps you both in her prayers.

That's very kind of both of you. I'll look up the Tord Mon as I have a
hankering for them at the moment

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > Fish cakes are Tord Mon. You want to use Red Curry #2 in them.

> I'll look up the Tord Mon as I have a hankering for them at the moment

If it's not in Jun'srecipe book, lemme know and I'll transcribe it for ya.

I know that hankerin'. I'm Jonesin' for a kosher pastramin on rye. I've got
good pickles and mustard. All I need is the main attraction! Nearest kosher
deli is several miles away. Aaaargh.

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ http://anymarine.com/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

>> > Fish cakes are Tord Mon. You want to use Red Curry #2 in them.

>> I'll look up the Tord Mon as I have a hankering for them at the
>> moment

> If it's not in Jun'srecipe book, lemme know and I'll transcribe it for
> ya.
>
> I know that hankerin'. I'm Jonesin' for a kosher pastramin on rye.
> I've got
> good pickles and mustard. All I need is the main attraction! Nearest
> kosher
> deli is several miles away. Aaaargh.

Did we start that craving with the turkey on rye talk? lol

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> >> I'll look up the Tord Mon as I have a hankering for them at the
> >> moment

> > If it's not in Jun'srecipe book, lemme know and I'll transcribe it for
> > ya.
> >
> > I know that hankerin'. I'm Jonesin' for a kosher pastramin on rye.
> > I've got
> > good pickles and mustard. All I need is the main attraction! Nearest
> > kosher
> > deli is several miles away. Aaaargh.

> Did we start that craving with the turkey on rye talk? lol

I doubt it. Turkey is only slightly above seagull in my book!

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ http://anymarine.com/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/25/2011 11:30 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> > wrote:

[snip]
> Good. Fish cakes are Tord Mon. You want to use Red Curry #2 in them.
>
> BTW Jun knows of you and Jasmine, as our eight-year old grandson is very
> severely autistic, and Jun keeps you both in her prayers.

I've found some information on two forms of vitamins that help
somewhat with autism - not enough, but still some help.

Apparently, some of the people with autism lack the ability
to convert the ability to convert the forms of certain
vitamins normally used in supplements to the similar forms
the body actually uses, and therefore need less common
forms of supplements for those vitamins, or additional
amounts.

http://legacy.autism.com/ari/editorials/ed_vitb6.htm

<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19056591?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez. Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPan el.Pubmed_RVDocSum>

http://jennifercopley.suite101.com/t...amin-b9-a57104

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_vitamins

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic...m/folinic+acid

http://legacy.autism.com/medical/research/jilljames.htm

For example, the folinic acid form of vitamin B9, rather than the more
common folic acid form. Also, the methylcobalamin form of vitamin B12,
rather than the more common cyanocobalamin form (often abbreviated to
cobalamin).

Folinic acid is also used for cancer treatment, in much larger doses.
Therefore, you may need to find a compounding pharmacy which can break
it down to the smaller doses used for autism.

http://www.chemocare.com/BIO/folinic_acid.asp

<http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertreatment/Treatmenttypes/Chemotherapy/Individualdrugs/Leucovorin.aspx>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folinic_acid

Robert Miles

Yen Yen is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storrmmee View Post

wrote in message
that sounds wonderful, wonder if i could sub something in for the shrimp,
i don't eat shrimp of any kind, but the rest sounds yummy, Lee
"Ozgirl"
wrote in message
I love these

Thai Fish Cakes - Thai Fish Cakes Recipe

[...]

It seems a good recipe I will try it at home. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe.