Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default update continued

>On 9/13/2011 6:55 AM, Evelyn wrote:
>>
>> I am down over 20 lbs. My scale is not very accurate, so the specific
>> number is only approximate.

>Thanks for updating, I've been wondering, now that we know you're okay
>wrt the storm, how it's going.
>

>> I was feeling very hungry all the time. Doc told me to stop taking
>> insulin and go back on Januvia. This worked and I am not feeling so
>> hungry anymore.

>Do you need either, with such low foot intake, and much of it protein?

Yes, as I carefully test daily. Still had some numbers that could
come down a bit. The Januvia puts me nice and low. This morning I
woke up at 110.

I am eating a little bit of everything. Veggies are difficult,
excepting in soup, so I am eating soup from time to time. Lots of
stuff in it, so it is almost a stew and it goes down well. The
dietitian said that barley is the highest protein grain, so I put a
bit of barley in soup.

Carbohydrates (as always) go down just fine..... I have to watch out
for that.

>> I am eating real food, but still occasionally will do a protein shake
>> for convenience sake.

>I've read that Muscle Milk is the absolute best tasting of these. She
>got the powder (they also make ready to drink) and said it is the best,
>doesn't alter the taste of her smoothies. She's on chemo and radiation,
>and really needed something she could stand to drink.

Everybody has their favorites. I HATE the taste of sweets, and too
many of those protein drinks are over sweetened, even though it is
splenda. The one I absolutely love is called Bariatric Advantage.
They have a chocolate flavor that is absolutely amazing it is so good.
It is available online through Amazon. It is expensive but worth
every penny. I make it with 2% milk.

>> Feeling a lot better in general. Especially when going up and down
>> stairs.
>>
>> First time I went shopping for a couple of hours, walking all around
>> the store, without feeling exhausted and sick.
>>
>> My feet and ankles have shrunk down to normal. Shoes all feel too
>> big! The feeling of heaviness in my legs is gone.

>How cool!

My pants are too big for me, and also my tee shirts, which have far
too much belly room. I have lost noticeably around my neck and
jowls. People notice that.

Remember, this is only one month post op.

I am mostly eating tiny real meals. Today I had two eggs soft boiled
and a cup of tea (which I only drank half of) for breakfast. For
lunch I had a bowl of my super soup. I couldn't finish mine, and put
the rest away in a container.

Then we went to the store and bought some bread at the outlet. I ate
a small end slice of pumpernickel raisin. Later on I had a thin
piece of Challah bread with butter. Some tea at around 4PM and dinner
was a very tiny piece of chicken with tandoori seasoning, and about
two tablespoons of rice. Nothing else all day.

Tonight I expect at bedtime to have a bariatric advantage chocolate
protein shake, made with 2% milk. It helps me sleep better and keeps
my hunger at bay.

Evelyn