Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Kisses filled with air

Janet > wrote:
: Julie Bove wrote:
: > "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >>
: >> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
: >> ...
: >>>
: >>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: >>
: >>>> I like dark chocolate but no more that 75%, that's my limit. Do
: >>>> you get Cherry Ripe there? I love Cherry Ripe
: >>>
: >>> Is that the brand? If so I've never heard of it.
: >>
: >> Cadbury is the brand.
: >
: > Ohhhhhh. Cadbury used to be widely available here. Now we can only
: > get it at places that sell imported foods. I believe it is a
: > Canadian brand. I will look for it.

: Cadbury is an English brand. It is their equivalent of Hershey or Nestle,
: and not particularly good IMNSHO, although it is better than Hershey. It is
: sold in supermarkets here.

: I admit a fondness for Mint Aeros, dating back to my schooldays in England.
: Since then, they've come out with an orange flavor that is even better. But
: the orange is not available here.

I used to like the Cabury's Quality Street assortment . when I wa a
teenaer I thought it the height of sophiticated candy-imported from
England and that nice tin. How tastes and times change:-)

There was a wonderful very hard butterscotch candy whose name is missing.
something like Cadwallenders,. It came in rectanglar blocks, marked in
squares, wrapped in silver paper in boxes with, IIRC two blocks about
4"x2 2/1" Boy was that good!

Oh all these sinful childhood memories:-)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/31/2011 5:47 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> i love all berries, but oddly blueberries in a pie or cobbler is sickenly
> sweet to me, its my brother's favorite, so my sister makes it with splenda
> and it has gotten better tasting as she has reduced the splenda, i think it
> reminds me too much of jam in a crust, Lee

oh my, you sure nailed the 'sweet' factor problem on the head

i love fresh blueberries, in cream or on ice cream or yoghurt or simply
by themselves, they are marvellous

i find most items with sugar added to them to be such a loss as you lose
out on the natural sweetness in our fruits and vegetables

would anyone else call a carrot sweet?

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/31/2011 9:47 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> I love the 85% but fount the 90%, which is not always available, too
> bitter. Is there any one else here who once snitched a square of their
> mother's baking chocolate and had a great shock? I remember doing that
> with my best friend . Never again!!!! That was when I learned about
> baking chocolate:-)
>
> Wendy

ROFLMAO

oh ya, i certainly did

gack! gack! gack!

that was just SO awful

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Janet > wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Ohhhhhh. Cadbury used to be widely available here. Now we can only
>>> get it at places that sell imported foods. I believe it is a
>>> Canadian brand. I will look for it.

>> Cadbury is an English brand. It is their equivalent of Hershey or
>> Nestle, and not particularly good IMNSHO, although it is better than
>> Hershey. It is sold in supermarkets here.

>> I admit a fondness for Mint Aeros, dating back to my schooldays in
>> England. Since then, they've come out with an orange flavor that is
>> even better. But the orange is not available here.

> I used to like the Cabury's Quality Street assortment . when I wa a
> teenaer I thought it the height of sophiticated candy-imported from
> England and that nice tin. How tastes and times change:-)
>
> There was a wonderful very hard butterscotch candy whose name is
> missing. something like Cadwallenders,. It came in rectanglar
> blocks, marked in squares, wrapped in silver paper in boxes with,
> IIRC two blocks about 4"x2 2/1" Boy was that good!
>
> Oh all these sinful childhood memories:-)
>
> Wendy

Callard and Bowser!!! Great stuff.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:

>>> Is that the brand? If so I've never heard of it.

>> Cadbury is the brand.

> I've never heard of it, but I do know the song that the name refers
> to.
>
> Personally, if just eating a bar, I prefer a GOOD milk chocolate. (Not
> Hershey!) But bars are not my favorite way to eat chocolate. I prefer
> ganache and truffles. I like ganaches for cakes to be made with good
> dark couverture, and truffles with a combination of milk and dark.
>
> The truffles I sell are usually a combination of two chocolates
> selected from a palette of three, all single bean origin El Rey from
> Venezuela: Gran Saman (70%, dark and earthy), Mijao (61%, dark and
> smooth), Caoba (41%, a milk chocolate with caramel notes that contains
> a lot more cocoa mass than most milk chocolates). I combine them
> differently depending on the flavor I'm aiming at. Most of them are
> dipped in Mijao, although a few milk chocolate ones are dipped in
> Caoba (Peppermint Mochaccino, Latte Amaretto, and Mint Julep).
>
> In my experience, people talk a lot of BS about how they "only like
> dark chocolate." Usually while they are scarfing down my truffles made
> with half Caoba, dipped in Mijao. Normally I don't tell them what they
> are raving about. I recall one stupid young woman who was reaching for
> a second sample who actually drew her hand back when I told her that
> contained some milk chocolate. On that occasion I couldn't resist
> telling her that she wouldn't ever have known if I hadn't told her.
> The milk chocolate is there to give the ganache extra creaminess and a
> little sweetness. It doesn't dominate the flavor.

lol

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Janet > wrote:
> : Julie Bove wrote:
> : > "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >>
> : >>
> : >> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : >> ...
> : >>>
> : >>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> : >>
> : >>>> I like dark chocolate but no more that 75%, that's my limit. Do
> : >>>> you get Cherry Ripe there? I love Cherry Ripe
> : >>>
> : >>> Is that the brand? If so I've never heard of it.
> : >>
> : >> Cadbury is the brand.
> : >
> : > Ohhhhhh. Cadbury used to be widely available here. Now we can
> only
> : > get it at places that sell imported foods. I believe it is a
> : > Canadian brand. I will look for it.
>
> : Cadbury is an English brand. It is their equivalent of Hershey or
> Nestle,
> : and not particularly good IMNSHO, although it is better than
> Hershey. It is
> : sold in supermarkets here.
>
> : I admit a fondness for Mint Aeros, dating back to my schooldays in
> England.
> : Since then, they've come out with an orange flavor that is even
> better. But
> : the orange is not available here.
>
> I used to like the Cabury's Quality Street assortment . when I wa a
> teenaer I thought it the height of sophiticated candy-imported from
> England and that nice tin. How tastes and times change:-)
>
> There was a wonderful very hard butterscotch candy whose name is
> missing.
> something like Cadwallenders,. It came in rectanglar blocks, marked
> in
> squares, wrapped in silver paper in boxes with, IIRC two blocks about
> 4"x2 2/1" Boy was that good!

Oh yes, butter scotch. Hard to get a good one these days.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>

> : "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> : m...
> : >
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >>
> : >> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> : >> ...
> : >>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : >>> ...
> : >>>>
> : >>>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> : >>>> ...
> : >>>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : >>>>> ...
> : >>>>>
> : >>>>>
> : >>>>> The air whipped comes in bars too, not just kisses. I tried
> one of
> : >>>>> the chunks in the bar and I thought it was good.
> : >>>>
> : >>>> I tried the bar when it came out. I didn't really like that.
> : >>>> Apparently they are like the Nestle Aero available in Canada.
> : >>>> don't like Nestle chocolate though.
> : >>>
> : >>>
> : >>> I could have eaten the whole bar, but didn't. I love Nestle
> : >>> chocolate and Hershey chocolate and just about all chocolate.
> : >>
> : >> I don't really like most candy. I guess I am just picky.
> : >>
> : >>
> : > I must be the only person in the world that doesn't like dark
> : > chocolate...I like the creaminess and smoothness of milk
> chocolate I
> : > Googled this candy and added trans fat to the word and the first
> page
> : > I came to said no transfat.
>
> : I like dark chocolate but no more that 75%, that's my limit. Do you
> get
> : Cherry Ripe there? I love Cherry Ripe
> : >
> : >
>
> I love the 85% but fount the 90%, whihc is not always available, too
> bitter. Is there any one else here who once snitched a square of
> their
> mother's baking chocolate and had a great shock? I remember doing
> that
> with my best friend . Neveer again!!!! That was when I learned about
> baking chocolate:-)

lol yes. Although one of my kids, can't remember which liked to buy the
cooking chocolate to eat.

> Wendyr

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Ozgirl > wrote:
>>

>> : "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> : m...
>> : >
>> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> : > ...
>> : >>
>> : >> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> : >> ...
>> : >>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> : >>> ...
>> : >>>>
>> : >>>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> : >>>> ...
>> : >>>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> : >>>>> ...
>> : >>>>>
>> : >>>>>
>> : >>>>> The air whipped comes in bars too, not just kisses. I tried one
>> of
>> : >>>>> the chunks in the bar and I thought it was good.
>> : >>>>
>> : >>>> I tried the bar when it came out. I didn't really like that.
>> : >>>> Apparently they are like the Nestle Aero available in Canada. I
>> : >>>> don't like Nestle chocolate though.
>> : >>>
>> : >>>
>> : >>> I could have eaten the whole bar, but didn't. I love Nestle
>> : >>> chocolate and Hershey chocolate and just about all chocolate.
>> : >>
>> : >> I don't really like most candy. I guess I am just picky.
>> : >>
>> : >>
>> : > I must be the only person in the world that doesn't like dark
>> : > chocolate...I like the creaminess and smoothness of milk chocolate
>> : > Googled this candy and added trans fat to the word and the first page
>> : > I came to said no transfat.
>>
>> : I like dark chocolate but no more that 75%, that's my limit. Do you get
>> : Cherry Ripe there? I love Cherry Ripe
>> : >
>> : >
>>
>> I love the 85% but fount the 90%, whihc is not always available, too
>> bitter. Is there any one else here who once snitched a square of their
>> mother's baking chocolate and had a great shock? I remember doing that
>> with my best friend . Neveer again!!!! That was when I learned about
>> baking chocolate:-)

> lol yes. Although one of my kids, can't remember which liked to buy the
> cooking chocolate to eat.

I actually like that stuff. I would eat it if it didn't mess with my GERD.
I do like bitter foods and drink. I loved the old Tab with the saccharine.
Loved that aftertaste. Love gin and tonic although I don't drink it any
more.

I do find it odd that some people say vegetables are bitter, especially
broccoli. That doesn't taste bitter to me at all, just awful. Sometimes
raw celery can be bitter to me. I still eat it. Unless it makes my tongue
go numb, which it sometimes does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

raises and for her and dh, lol, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>

> : "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> : m...
> : >
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >>
> : >> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> : >> ...
> : >>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : >>> ...
> : >>>>
> : >>>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> : >>>> ...
> : >>>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : >>>>> ...
> : >>>>>
> : >>>>>
> : >>>>> The air whipped comes in bars too, not just kisses. I tried one of
> : >>>>> the chunks in the bar and I thought it was good.
> : >>>>
> : >>>> I tried the bar when it came out. I didn't really like that.
> : >>>> Apparently they are like the Nestle Aero available in Canada. I
> : >>>> don't like Nestle chocolate though.
> : >>>
> : >>>
> : >>> I could have eaten the whole bar, but didn't. I love Nestle
> : >>> chocolate and Hershey chocolate and just about all chocolate.
> : >>
> : >> I don't really like most candy. I guess I am just picky.
> : >>
> : >>
> : > I must be the only person in the world that doesn't like dark
> : > chocolate...I like the creaminess and smoothness of milk chocolate I
> : > Googled this candy and added trans fat to the word and the first page
> : > I came to said no transfat.
>
> : I like dark chocolate but no more that 75%, that's my limit. Do you get
> : Cherry Ripe there? I love Cherry Ripe
> : >
> : >
>
> I love the 85% but fount the 90%, whihc is not always available, too
> bitter. Is there any one else here who once snitched a square of their
> mother's baking chocolate and had a great shock? I remember doing that
> with my best friend . Neveer again!!!! That was when I learned about
> baking chocolate:-)
>
> Wendyr

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that sounds similar to worthers, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Janet > wrote:
> : Julie Bove wrote:
> : > "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >>
> : >>
> : >> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : >> ...
> : >>>
> : >>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> : >>
> : >>>> I like dark chocolate but no more that 75%, that's my limit. Do
> : >>>> you get Cherry Ripe there? I love Cherry Ripe
> : >>>
> : >>> Is that the brand? If so I've never heard of it.
> : >>
> : >> Cadbury is the brand.
> : >
> : > Ohhhhhh. Cadbury used to be widely available here. Now we can only
> : > get it at places that sell imported foods. I believe it is a
> : > Canadian brand. I will look for it.
>
> : Cadbury is an English brand. It is their equivalent of Hershey or
> Nestle,
> : and not particularly good IMNSHO, although it is better than Hershey. It
> is
> : sold in supermarkets here.
>
> : I admit a fondness for Mint Aeros, dating back to my schooldays in
> England.
> : Since then, they've come out with an orange flavor that is even better.
> But
> : the orange is not available here.
>
> I used to like the Cabury's Quality Street assortment . when I wa a
> teenaer I thought it the height of sophiticated candy-imported from
> England and that nice tin. How tastes and times change:-)
>
> There was a wonderful very hard butterscotch candy whose name is missing.
> something like Cadwallenders,. It came in rectanglar blocks, marked in
> squares, wrapped in silver paper in boxes with, IIRC two blocks about
> 4"x2 2/1" Boy was that good!
>
> Oh all these sinful childhood memories:-)
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/09/2011 10:08 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Janet > wrote:
>> : Julie Bove wrote:
>> : > "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> : > ...
>> : >>
>> : >>
>> : >> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> : >> ...
>> : >>>
>> : >>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> : >>
>> : >>>> I like dark chocolate but no more that 75%, that's my limit. Do
>> : >>>> you get Cherry Ripe there? I love Cherry Ripe
>> : >>>
>> : >>> Is that the brand? If so I've never heard of it.
>> : >>
>> : >> Cadbury is the brand.
>> : >
>> : > Ohhhhhh. Cadbury used to be widely available here. Now we can only
>> : > get it at places that sell imported foods. I believe it is a
>> : > Canadian brand. I will look for it.
>>
>> : Cadbury is an English brand. It is their equivalent of Hershey or
>> Nestle,
>> : and not particularly good IMNSHO, although it is better than
>> Hershey. It is
>> : sold in supermarkets here.
>>
>> : I admit a fondness for Mint Aeros, dating back to my schooldays in
>> England.
>> : Since then, they've come out with an orange flavor that is even
>> better. But
>> : the orange is not available here.
>>
>> I used to like the Cabury's Quality Street assortment . when I wa a
>> teenaer I thought it the height of sophiticated candy-imported from
>> England and that nice tin. How tastes and times change:-)
>>
>> There was a wonderful very hard butterscotch candy whose name is missing.
>> something like Cadwallenders,. It came in rectanglar blocks, marked in
>> squares, wrapped in silver paper in boxes with, IIRC two blocks about
>> 4"x2 2/1" Boy was that good!

> Oh yes, butter scotch. Hard to get a good one these days.

You tried the Werthers sugar free one ... not bad :-)

I don't think Cherry Ripe has been the same since Cadbury
started making them in the 60's (well they don't taste the same as when
I was a kid :-))

originally made by MacRobertson who was the guy who sponsored the
original London to Australia air race in the 30's
they also made the original Freddo, Old Gold and Snack

Still haven't had one in years ... bugga now you got me thinking about
those cherries coconut and dark chocolate.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 1/09/2011 10:08 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>

>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>> Janet > wrote:
>>> : Julie Bove wrote:
>>> : > "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>> : > ...
>>> : >>
>>> : >>
>>> : >> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> : >> ...
>>> : >>>
>>> : >>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>> : >>
>>> : >>>> I like dark chocolate but no more that 75%, that's my limit.
>>> Do
>>> : >>>> you get Cherry Ripe there? I love Cherry Ripe
>>> : >>>
>>> : >>> Is that the brand? If so I've never heard of it.
>>> : >>
>>> : >> Cadbury is the brand.
>>> : >
>>> : > Ohhhhhh. Cadbury used to be widely available here. Now we can
>>> only
>>> : > get it at places that sell imported foods. I believe it is a
>>> : > Canadian brand. I will look for it.
>>>
>>> : Cadbury is an English brand. It is their equivalent of Hershey or
>>> Nestle,
>>> : and not particularly good IMNSHO, although it is better than
>>> Hershey. It is
>>> : sold in supermarkets here.
>>>
>>> : I admit a fondness for Mint Aeros, dating back to my schooldays in
>>> England.
>>> : Since then, they've come out with an orange flavor that is even
>>> better. But
>>> : the orange is not available here.
>>>
>>> I used to like the Cabury's Quality Street assortment . when I wa a
>>> teenaer I thought it the height of sophiticated candy-imported from
>>> England and that nice tin. How tastes and times change:-)
>>>
>>> There was a wonderful very hard butterscotch candy whose name is
>>> missing.
>>> something like Cadwallenders,. It came in rectanglar blocks, marked
>>> in
>>> squares, wrapped in silver paper in boxes with, IIRC two blocks
>>> about
>>> 4"x2 2/1" Boy was that good!

>> Oh yes, butter scotch. Hard to get a good one these days.
>>

> You tried the Werthers sugar free one ... not bad :-)
>
> I don't think Cherry Ripe has been the same since Cadbury
> started making them in the 60's (well they don't taste the same as
> when I was a kid :-))
>
> originally made by MacRobertson who was the guy who sponsored the
> original London to Australia air race in the 30's
> they also made the original Freddo, Old Gold and Snack
>
> Still haven't had one in years ... bugga now you got me thinking about
> those cherries coconut and dark chocolate.

Lol. Snack and Freddos don't taste the same to me anymore. Perhaps we
were less discerning when younger

I used to love Fantales but for a few years now they have been rather
unpleasant. And too soft now. I like Werther's, not as good as some but
a pretty good one. Haven't tasted the sugar free ones. I would rather
have a real one every so often. I used to buy a fabulous one in David
Jones food hall but can't remember the brand.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee wrote:
> that sounds similar to worthers, Lee

According to my recollection, MUCH better.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "RodS" > wrote in message ...

>>> Oh yes, butter scotch. Hard to get a good one these days.
>>>

>> You tried the Werthers sugar free one ... not bad :-)
>>
>> I don't think Cherry Ripe has been the same since Cadbury
>> started making them in the 60's (well they don't taste the same as when I
>> was a kid :-))
>>
>> originally made by MacRobertson who was the guy who sponsored the
>> original London to Australia air race in the 30's
>> they also made the original Freddo, Old Gold and Snack
>>
>> Still haven't had one in years ... bugga now you got me thinking about
>> those cherries coconut and dark chocolate.

> Lol. Snack and Freddos don't taste the same to me anymore. Perhaps we were
> less discerning when younger
>
> I used to love Fantales but for a few years now they have been rather
> unpleasant. And too soft now. I like Werther's, not as good as some but a
> pretty good one. Haven't tasted the sugar free ones. I would rather have a
> real one every so often. I used to buy a fabulous one in David Jones food
> hall but can't remember the brand.

I never liked Werthers but then I can't stand the taste of Butterscotch.

My parents had a bad of the sugar free ones and I warned them not to eat too
many because of the laxative effect. They got very angry with me and said I
was wrong. But later that night I got an apology.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

RodS > wrote:
: On 1/09/2011 10:08 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
: >
: >
: > "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >> Janet > wrote:
: >> : Julie Bove wrote:
: >> : > "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: >> : > ...
: >> : >>
: >> : >>
: >> : >> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
: >> : >> ...
: >> : >>>
: >> : >>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: >> : >>
: >> : >>>> I like dark chocolate but no more that 75%, that's my limit. Do
: >> : >>>> you get Cherry Ripe there? I love Cherry Ripe
: >> : >>>
: >> : >>> Is that the brand? If so I've never heard of it.
: >> : >>
: >> : >> Cadbury is the brand.
: >> : >
[...]

: (- -)
: =m=(_)=m=
: RodS T2
: Australia

Not bad, but it makes you want to keep eating them and that can result in
gastric explosions!

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee > wrote:
: that sounds similar to worthers, Lee
: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: >
: > I used to like the Cabury's Quality Street assortment . when I wa a
: > teenaer I thought it the height of sophiticated candy-imported from
: > England and that nice tin. How tastes and times change:-)
: >
: > There was a wonderful very hard butterscotch candy whose name is missing.
: > something like Cadwallenders,. It came in rectanglar blocks, marked in
: > squares, wrapped in silver paper in boxes with, IIRC two blocks about
: > 4"x2 2/1" Boy was that good!
: >
: > Oh all these sinful childhood memories:-)
: >
: > Wendy
I would say much better than Weerthers! They were very special.

Wendy: >
: >

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/09/2011 1:20 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> [...]
> :> Oh yes, butter scotch. Hard to get a good one these days.
> :>
> :>
>
> : You tried the Werthers sugar free one ... not bad :-)
>
> : I don't think Cherry Ripe has been the same since Cadbury
> : started making them in the 60's (well they don't taste the same as when
> : I was a kid :-))
>
> : originally made by MacRobertson who was the guy who sponsored the
> : original London to Australia air race in the 30's
> : they also made the original Freddo, Old Gold and Snack
>
> : Still haven't had one in years ... bugga now you got me thinking about
> : those cherries coconut and dark chocolate.
>
> : (- -)
> : =m=(_)=m=
> : RodS T2
> : Australia
>
> Not bad, but it makes you want to keep eating them and that can result in

Not me I only have one :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the other one mentioned is in fact better, Lee
"Janet" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> that sounds similar to worthers, Lee

> According to my recollection, MUCH better.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/31/2011 6:38 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> and iirc any fat once heated to a certain temp becomes trans fats, like you
> think you are being good heating some OO to fry some vegetables in, and poof
> its now is trans or has trans fats, Lee
> "Julie > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message

>>> Doesn't say, do you have to declare it in the US?
>>> http://www.hersheys.com/kisses/produ...r-delight.aspx

>> I don't think we have to declare it. Some manufacturers will say "no
>> trans-fats" but it is a meaningless declaration because if it is under a
>> certain amount per serving they can call it that.

Correction - any polyunsaturated fat heated to a certain temperature
changes to about 50% or more trans-fats. Saturated fats do not,
because they do not have the type of links that can change to make
them trans-fats. I'm not sure about monounsaturated fats.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/31/2011 12:25 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Tiger > wrote in message
>> On 8/30/2011 2:30 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Hershey's has some new milk chocolate Kisses that are filled with air in
>>> the
>>> middle. Well not quite. They whip the centers. We got a bag for next
>>> combining a sale and using a coupon and a doubler. So much air is in
>>> there
>>> that 11 Kisses is a serving. 7 is a serving of the regular Kisses. At
>>> least 7 for a diabetic, meaning 15g of carb.
>>>
>>> I find I *can* eat just one of these. Kisses are one of those things
>>> that I
>>> don't dislike. I actually kind of like them but not all that well, maybe
>>> because I have to unwrap them all and that's a pain.
>>>
>>> So I find if I want a taste of chocolate, I can eat one of these things.
>>> And I can stop with just one. And they don't mess with my GERD.
>>>

>> Julie, soon as i see 'whipped' i have to ask
>>
>> what are the trans-fat levels in these chocolates?

> I didn't look. Let me see if I can see the ingredients online.
>
> Here's a link with nutritional information but no ingredients.
>
> http://www.hersheys.com/kisses/produ...r-delight.aspx
>
> Of course can't find it online. Let me go get the bag...
>
> *Stomps off wearily*
>
> Ingredients: Milk Chocolate (Sugar,Milk, Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Lactose,
> Milk Fat, Soy Lecithin, PGPR Emulsifier, Vanillin, Artificial Flavor).
>
> Are there trans-fats in there? I don't know.

I'd say, you can't tell from that ingredients list.

The key phrase to watch for is "partially hydrogenated" - a process
that usually converts polyunsaturated fats at least 50% into
trans-fats.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 8/31/2011 6:38 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> and iirc any fat once heated to a certain temp becomes trans fats,
>> like you
>> think you are being good heating some OO to fry some vegetables in,
>> and poof
>> its now is trans or has trans fats, Lee

>>> I don't think we have to declare it. Some manufacturers will say
>>> "no
>>> trans-fats" but it is a meaningless declaration because if it is
>>> under a
>>> certain amount per serving they can call it that.

> Correction - any polyunsaturated fat heated to a certain temperature
> changes to about 50% or more trans-fats. Saturated fats do not,
> because they do not have the type of links that can change to make
> them trans-fats. I'm not sure about monounsaturated fats.

Its my belief that only happens with re-used oil not once off fresh oil.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/12/2011 4:38 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> .com...
>> On 8/31/2011 6:38 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> and iirc any fat once heated to a certain temp becomes trans fats,
>>> like you
>>> think you are being good heating some OO to fry some vegetables in,
>>> and poof
>>> its now is trans or has trans fats, Lee

>> Correction - any polyunsaturated fat heated to a certain temperature
>> changes to about 50% or more trans-fats. Saturated fats do not,
>> because they do not have the type of links that can change to make
>> them trans-fats. I'm not sure about monounsaturated fats.

> Its my belief that only happens with re-used oil not once off fresh oil.

I would expect it to happen more with re-used oil, since it has
been exposed to heat more than once, but still happen somewhat
the first time the oil is used.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 9/12/2011 4:38 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> Correction - any polyunsaturated fat heated to a certain temperature
>>> changes to about 50% or more trans-fats. Saturated fats do not,
>>> because they do not have the type of links that can change to make
>>> them trans-fats. I'm not sure about monounsaturated fats.

>> Its my belief that only happens with re-used oil not once off fresh
>> oil.

> I would expect it to happen more with re-used oil, since it has
> been exposed to heat more than once, but still happen somewhat
> the first time the oil is used.

Quentin used to talk a lot about trans fats. Here he is answering a
question from Jenny:

">Quentin,
>If I avoid processed foods with added partially hydrogenated fats,
>where else would I be getting trans fats in my diet? I've been
>rigorously avoiding packaged foods for years ever since reading Protein
>Power and first learning about the evils of trans fat. But I'm
>wondering: Do they get made when I fry butcher-made sausage or bacon?

G'day G'day Jenny,
All I can give is an opinion. The research that showed the formation
of trans fats was done with deep fryers that stayed hot all day. The
rate of formation was slow. The quick answer is no UNLESS you keep
and reuse the fat. Some people do.
> What about when I cook fatty meat on a gas grill?

Once again no. Trans fats are not a problem here. Also ask yourself
this simple question. What is happening to the fats on a gas grills.
Are they being drained away as you cook? This is very different from
deep frying.
>Or for that matter, what about when I marinate chicken in a supposedly
>healthy "organic" marinade with canola oils and then grill it?

Whenever you cook once there is most unlikely to be a problem with
trans fats. Personally I'd use olive oil but hey I happen to love
chicken and olive casserole.
>Is there going to be anything left I can eat that doesn't do bad things
>to me but still tastes good? <G>

Well yes and no. Almost any food has some downside if eaten to the
exclusion of other things. Take the broccoli receiving favourable
mention for its sulphoraphane content. If one were to eat almost
nothing else then there could be goiter problems. IMHO no food should
dominate one's diet.
The Okinawans thrice boil and then stir fry their pork. Not
everything needs to be grilled to get flavour benefits."

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/12/2011 4:56 PM, Robert Miles wrote:
> On 9/12/2011 4:38 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>

>> "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
>> .com...

>>> Correction - any polyunsaturated fat heated to a certain temperature
>>> changes to about 50% or more trans-fats. Saturated fats do not,
>>> because they do not have the type of links that can change to make
>>> them trans-fats. I'm not sure about monounsaturated fats.

>> Its my belief that only happens with re-used oil not once off fresh oil.

> I would expect it to happen more with re-used oil, since it has
> been exposed to heat more than once, but still happen somewhat
> the first time the oil is used.

Wasn't there something about the smoke point of the oil being
used......... in that if the oil has reached the smoke point, it now has
changed and should be avoided? iirc?

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/12/2011 7:44 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> .com...

>>> Its my belief that only happens with re-used oil not once off fresh oil.

>> I would expect it to happen more with re-used oil, since it has
>> been exposed to heat more than once, but still happen somewhat
>> the first time the oil is used.

> Quentin used to talk a lot about trans fats. Here he is answering a
> question from Jenny:
>
> ">Quentin,
>> If I avoid processed foods with added partially hydrogenated fats,
>> where else would I be getting trans fats in my diet? I've been
>> rigorously avoiding packaged foods for years ever since reading
>> Protein Power and first learning about the evils of trans fat. But I'm
>> wondering: Do they get made when I fry butcher-made sausage or bacon?

> G'day G'day Jenny,
> All I can give is an opinion. The research that showed the formation
> of trans fats was done with deep fryers that stayed hot all day. The
> rate of formation was slow. The quick answer is no UNLESS you keep
> and reuse the fat. Some people do.

Note that the question he is answering essentially excludes partial
hydrogenation from consideration, even though it it the major source
of trans-fats. He may well have been right about this lesser source,
though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> When Quentin spoke of opinions he was speaking of his opinion of the
> studies he had researched over many years. He never had un-researched
> opinions. Everyone forms their own opinions about a subject. He was no
> different in that respect. He also mentioned a number of times that he
> was trying to fill a gap. The gap left from all the talks in the groups
> about medication, exercise and diet. Diet as in high carb, low carb etc.
> Quentin and Annette both studied the individual foods as opposed to the
> food groups themselves. They did indeed fill that gap. This has led to a
> lot of people developing WOE's that weren't just "eat a lot of protein
> and fat" and avoid the starches". That can be nutritional suicide if we
> don't evaluate what goes into our mouths.

I find it difficult to believe that people had to be told by someone
else that 'just "eat a lot of protein and fat" and avoid the starches"'
was not sufficient nutritional consideration to give to their eating.

While one might primarily mention the carb/protein/fat ratios when
discussing treatment of diabetes, most of the people in these groups are
not idiots.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>
>> When Quentin spoke of opinions he was speaking of his opinion of the
>> studies he had researched over many years. He never had un-researched
>> opinions. Everyone forms their own opinions about a subject. He was
>> no
>> different in that respect. He also mentioned a number of times that
>> he
>> was trying to fill a gap. The gap left from all the talks in the
>> groups
>> about medication, exercise and diet. Diet as in high carb, low carb
>> etc.
>> Quentin and Annette both studied the individual foods as opposed to
>> the
>> food groups themselves. They did indeed fill that gap. This has led
>> to a
>> lot of people developing WOE's that weren't just "eat a lot of
>> protein
>> and fat" and avoid the starches". That can be nutritional suicide if
>> we
>> don't evaluate what goes into our mouths.

> I find it difficult to believe that people had to be told by someone
> else that 'just "eat a lot of protein and fat" and avoid the
> starches"'
> was not sufficient nutritional consideration to give to their eating.
>
> While one might primarily mention the carb/protein/fat ratios when
> discussing treatment of diabetes, most of the people in these groups
> are
> not idiots.
>
> PP

You don't have to be an idiot to not understand good nutrition.
Especially if new to dietary changes i.e. before one hears what others
are eating. Plus Annette and Quentin took nutrition one step further by
researching foods and their particular benefits, especially to
diabetics, some of who need to make every single bite count if they are
watching carbs very carefully. That's a lot different to being told what
veggies/fruits are low carb/low GI. I'll wager there are a lot of people
who don't know the value of certain low carb veggies over others. That's
the gap I am talking about. And if you recall anything in ASD you should
be able to recall that there have been many discussions about good
nutrition when some people have shared their low carb diets in the
group.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>
>> When Quentin spoke of opinions he was speaking of his opinion of the
>> studies he had researched over many years. He never had un-researched
>> opinions. Everyone forms their own opinions about a subject. He was no
>> different in that respect. He also mentioned a number of times that he
>> was trying to fill a gap. The gap left from all the talks in the groups
>> about medication, exercise and diet. Diet as in high carb, low carb etc.
>> Quentin and Annette both studied the individual foods as opposed to the
>> food groups themselves. They did indeed fill that gap. This has led to a
>> lot of people developing WOE's that weren't just "eat a lot of protein
>> and fat" and avoid the starches". That can be nutritional suicide if we
>> don't evaluate what goes into our mouths.

> I find it difficult to believe that people had to be told by someone
> else that 'just "eat a lot of protein and fat" and avoid the starches"'
> was not sufficient nutritional consideration to give to their eating.
>
> While one might primarily mention the carb/protein/fat ratios when
> discussing treatment of diabetes, most of the people in these groups are
> not idiots.

I think the population as a whole hasn't a clue about nutrition. I remember
the big push for chicken back in the 80's. I can't tell you how many people
were bragging about being good and eating chicken while they were munching
on something fried from McDonalds's or KFC or some such place.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>>
>>> When Quentin spoke of opinions he was speaking of his opinion of the
>>> studies he had researched over many years. He never had un-researched
>>> opinions. Everyone forms their own opinions about a subject. He was
>>> no
>>> different in that respect. He also mentioned a number of times that
>>> he
>>> was trying to fill a gap. The gap left from all the talks in the
>>> groups
>>> about medication, exercise and diet. Diet as in high carb, low carb
>>> etc.
>>> Quentin and Annette both studied the individual foods as opposed to
>>> the
>>> food groups themselves. They did indeed fill that gap. This has led
>>> to a
>>> lot of people developing WOE's that weren't just "eat a lot of
>>> protein
>>> and fat" and avoid the starches". That can be nutritional suicide if
>>> we
>>> don't evaluate what goes into our mouths.

>> I find it difficult to believe that people had to be told by someone
>> else that 'just "eat a lot of protein and fat" and avoid the
>> starches"'
>> was not sufficient nutritional consideration to give to their eating.
>>
>> While one might primarily mention the carb/protein/fat ratios when
>> discussing treatment of diabetes, most of the people in these groups
>> are
>> not idiots.
>>
>> PP

> You don't have to be an idiot to not understand good nutrition.
> Especially if new to dietary changes i.e. before one hears what others
> are eating. Plus Annette and Quentin took nutrition one step further by
> researching foods and their particular benefits, especially to
> diabetics, some of who need to make every single bite count if they are
> watching carbs very carefully. That's a lot different to being told what
> veggies/fruits are low carb/low GI. I'll wager there are a lot of people
> who don't know the value of certain low carb veggies over others. That's
> the gap I am talking about. And if you recall anything in ASD you should
> be able to recall that there have been many discussions about good
> nutrition when some people have shared their low carb diets in the
> group.

Indeed! Angela and I went to the low carb store again today. Oh and thanks
to the Boston's pizza delivery guy who parked (not in a spot) and directly
behind my van. Of course the guy parked next to me was fast asleep. Had
that spot been open I may have been able to (or maybe not) maneuver my car
over that way so I could have gotten out. So I was stuck sitting there for
close to an hour. I had no clue who the car belonged to or where to go
looking for them. There are all sorts of businesses around there and it is
a shared lot. But I digress...

Anyway, they had a whole aisle of Atkin's products in that store. Many (if
not all) of those things are loaded with soy and probably sugar alcohols.
But I know plenty of people who think they are eating a healthy diet if they
eat those along with their meat. It's sad.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/16/2011 4:23 PM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> I find it difficult to believe that people had to be told by someone
> else that 'just "eat a lot of protein and fat" and avoid the starches"'
> was not sufficient nutritional consideration to give to their eating.
>
> While one might primarily mention the carb/protein/fat ratios when
> discussing treatment of diabetes, most of the people in these groups are
> not idiots.
>
> PP

Hiya PP

You have just made the point................ a lot of people were very
interested in the discussions of which of a wide variety of diets that
expound at present (and over the last 20 yrs and have gone out of 'fashion')

Quentin and Annette did the research into WHY x diet was better than y
diet, and gave you things you really must think about............ things
that don't get PubMeb page as they aren't medicines that can be produced
as 5000% profit!

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/16/2011 7:49 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
snip
> Now back to the subject at hand.. back when Annette and Quentin were
> filling the gap there was a need for it. Maybe less so these days
> because a lot of us have done further research and/or do remember the
> things Quentin and Annette have said in the long ago past. It was pretty
> much a novelty for that kind of talk in the groups back then and a lot
> of people over the years have thanked A and Q for that.

yup, i just made this same post

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/16/2011 9:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
much snipped
> I think the population as a whole hasn't a clue about nutrition. I remember
> the big push for chicken back in the 80's. I can't tell you how many people
> were bragging about being good and eating chicken while they were munching
> on something fried from McDonalds's or KFC or some such place.

Julie, do you remember telling Q that you didn't understand what he had
just said, and he would return to the subject until you had an
understanding................. he did this in a polite, friendly,
gentle, kind, sincere, ELOQUENT manner (not shouting, i will ever
respect Quentin as being ever so Eloquent!)

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
: news : > In article >,
: > "Ozgirl" > wrote:
: >
[...]

Every time I eat my hambutger at a local restauant with no bun, sliced red
onions, a bed of lettuce , a little ketchup adn a pickle I think of
Quentin and quercetin, which he often mentioned as being in that red
onion.

The general advice that I received when finding my diabetic WOE was to eat
a wde variety of freen and colored lnon-starchy vebetables, not only leafy
one, but all kinds of peppers, crucfeous ones, etc. What is a shame is
that there seems to be no spac onf ASD these days for such advice or
comments what with the constant arguing. I fear that newbies don't get
what they need about the vegetably diet that marked the lower carb diet
so many of us found so useful. It works and made so many of us well
controlled and healthy, bu tnow seems to alwasy be codemnedby ssorted
people.

We all had different ways of working this, from Jana's 6 small meals
which spread her carbs out and included all kinds of vegetables, to Alan's
low spike, wiwth his belived meusli at night,etc. Where have all these
useful discussions gone?

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: ...
: >
: >
: > "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
: > news : >> In article >,
: >> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
: >>
[...]

I find the pancake mix very good and useful to me a a treat breakfast .
Of course, it uses a fresh egg whichis out for you, Julie, but having a
litle of that kind of thing really helps maintain a life-lone diabetic
diet for many. Soy is also not a problem for me and I often like to get a
tofu dish when I treat myself to a Chinese lunch out at my favortie place
that knows to make my food without cornstarch or sugar and, althugh they
no longer usually serve it, bring me a full pot of tea, because they know
I like it. For many of us they can be a help. I con't look for all those
protein bars, etc, but some of the special stuff can be nice to have
available. Also useufl for transitioning from a regular diet to a lower
carb one.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily > wrote:
: On 9/16/2011 9:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: much snipped
: > I think the population as a whole hasn't a clue about nutrition. I remember
: > the big push for chicken back in the 80's. I can't tell you how many people
: > were bragging about being good and eating chicken while they were munching
: > on something fried from McDonalds's or KFC or some such place.

: Julie, do you remember telling Q that you didn't understand what he had
: just said, and he would return to the subject until you had an
: understanding................. he did this in a polite, friendly,
: gentle, kind, sincere, ELOQUENT manner (not shouting, i will ever
: respect Quentin as being ever so Eloquent!)

: kate

Remember, he had spent many years teaching difficult subjects and
eveninlaer years, when quite ill, he continued to tutor srudents. that is
what he did on the group, as well.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> leafy
> one, but all kinds of peppers, crucfeous ones, etc. What is a shame
> is
> that there seems to be no spac onf ASD these days for such advice or
> comments what with the constant arguing. I fear that newbies don't
> get
> what they need about the vegetably diet that marked the lower carb
> diet
> so many of us found so useful. It works and made so many of us well
> controlled and healthy, bu tnow seems to alwasy be codemnedby ssorted
> people.
>
> We all had different ways of working this, from Jana's 6 small meals
> which spread her carbs out and included all kinds of vegetables, to
> Alan's
> low spike, wiwth his belived meusli at night,etc. Where have all

One of my sons and myself visited Annette and her hubby for a week about
8 or so years ago. 5 hour train trip plus a one hour car ride to their
house. We had a ball sharing food hints Every meal was great and we
had a lot of fun putting the meals together adding our own little bits
of nutritional wisdom to the mix Because of Quentin I have raw red
onion twice a day most days. Funny how things stick I miss Annette's
focus on eye health.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-archive; yes

On 9/17/2011 5:32 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:

> no,Susan, Quentin was one of the first folks to speak of WHY we eat WHAT
> we do............... his whole book "Nutrition for Blokes" was aimed at
> teaching people why this food is good or us............ he didn't feel
> comfortable trying to teach women how to cook as he cooked 'very basic'
> dishes (his opinion, not mine)
>
> the spice and food combinations he came up with were incredible and
> delicious............ but he was very wary of 'creating recipes"
>
> Annette was also very diligent into looking into food composition and
> reasons why we should choose x over g or such
>
> it was a very enlighting time, and a great discussion series that went
> on.............. i feel many people learned a great deal from Quentin
> and Annette back in 'those days'
>
> wait, there is a concise posted on the web site for asd of the valuable
> information Quentin provided here

Not here; asd and smn, IIRC.

Quentin was human, and he was fallible as are we all, in our analysis
and thinking. But it was never for lack of thought or effort at thinking
things through.

One way we often differed was in his focus on measurements of components
of food and their theoretical effects and mine on clinical outcomes as
the real measure. This was one of the glories of our communications,
because we were each working a completely different side of the equation.

His mind was just so fertile and searching at all times.

Susan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I tried to read there but simply found it too stressful, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> onion.
>
> The general advice that I received when finding my diabetic WOE was to eat
> a wde variety of freen and colored lnon-starchy vebetables, not only leafy
> one, but all kinds of peppers, crucfeous ones, etc. What is a shame is
> that there seems to be no spac onf ASD these days for such advice or
> comments what with the constant arguing. I fear that newbies don't get
> what they need about the vegetably diet that marked the lower carb diet
> so many of us found so useful. It works and made so many of us well
> controlled and healthy, bu tnow seems to alwasy be codemnedby ssorted
> people.
>
> We all had different ways of working this, from Jana's 6 small meals
> which spread her carbs out and included all kinds of vegetables, to Alan's
> low spike, wiwth his belived meusli at night,etc. Where have all these

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
<snip>
> We all had different ways of working this, from Jana's 6 small meals
> which spread her carbs out and included all kinds of vegetables, to
> Alan's low spike, wiwth his belived meusli at night,etc. Where have
> all these useful discussions gone?
>
> Wendy

Apparently into endless yapping and snarking about "some here" and supposed
"dog piling" and "ADhAters" and accusations of false identity and
sock-puppetry and the like.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/16/2011 9:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> much snipped
>> I think the population as a whole hasn't a clue about nutrition. I
>> remember
>> the big push for chicken back in the 80's. I can't tell you how many
>> people
>> were bragging about being good and eating chicken while they were
>> munching
>> on something fried from McDonalds's or KFC or some such place.

> Julie, do you remember telling Q that you didn't understand what he had
> just said, and he would return to the subject until you had an
> understanding................. he did this in a polite, friendly, gentle,
> kind, sincere, ELOQUENT manner (not shouting, i will ever respect Quentin
> as being ever so Eloquent!)

Yes.