Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default factory produced meat aka "Food inc."

Being type 2 more or less pushes me into eating more meat than most people do. I just watched a documentary called Food Inc.. This video shocked me. I saw on the screen how poultry and meat were raised and butchered. It was disgusting. The filth in which these animals live is horrible. They are then butchered covered with faeces.

I was disgusted enough to do something. I found 5 nearby cattle and poultry farms that sell directly. I had no idea that I had other choices than the super market. These 5 places raise free ranging animals. You actually go to their farm to buy the meat. And, it is not much more expensive than the horrible stuff sold in the super market.

I just need to buy about a 6 month supply before winter sets in again. We will store it in our freezer.

Michael

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Boomer" > wrote in message ...
Being type 2 more or less pushes me into eating more meat than most people do. I just watched a documentary called Food Inc.. This video shocked me. I saw on the screen how poultry and meat were raised and butchered. It was disgusting. The filth in which these animals live is horrible. They are then butchered covered with faeces.

I was disgusted enough to do something. I found 5 nearby cattle and poultry farms that sell directly. I had no idea that I had other choices than the super market. These 5 places raise free ranging animals. You actually go to their farm to buy the meat. And, it is not much more expensive than the horrible stuff sold in the super market.

I just need to buy about a 6 month supply before winter sets in again. We will store it in our freezer.

Michael

I find it hard to believe that you did not know this. I also find it hard to believe that you do not have free range meats in your supermarkets. Almost all the stores here carry them.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Boomer" > wrote in message news:SNrwp.51441Well Julie,

Welcome to America. I had no way of knowing how meat was produced here. I just bought it at the super market. There are no free range meats available in the super markets of our town. There are 4 markets to chose from. None of them sell free range meat.

How could you say that? There have been books and movies out for many years. I've known how meat was produced since I was a child.

I can remember in 2nd grade picking up the fried chicken drumstick that was on my lunch tray at school. A little boy said to me, "Do you know what happened to that chicken before you got it?" And in my mind I was picturing my grandma wringing the neck of the chicken before she got it ready to cook. I dropped the chicken drumstick and never ate one again. This grew on me to the point where I became a vegetarian at age 12. I was a vegetarian for most of my life. Only recently did I have to start eating meat again due to chronic anemia and my allergies to dairy and eggs. I have to get my protein from some place. I was eating vegan for a while. Not a true vegan because I am sitting on a leather chair at the moment. And I do have a leather purse, coat and shoes. Yeah, I know I shouldn't. But I do.

I doubt there are very many Americans who know how their meat is produced.

I'm pretty sure most do!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 4, 7:37*pm, "Boomer" > wrote:
> Being type 2 more or less pushes me into eating more meat than most people do. I just watched a documentary called Food Inc.. This video shocked me. I saw on the screen how poultry and meat were raised and butchered. It was disgusting. The filth in which these animals live is horrible. They are then butchered covered with faeces.
>
> I was disgusted enough to do something. I found 5 nearby cattle and poultry farms that sell directly. I had no idea that I had other choices than the super market. These 5 places raise free ranging animals. You actually go to their farm to buy the meat. And, it is not much more expensive than the horrible stuff sold in the super market.
>
> I just need to buy about a 6 month supply before winter sets in again. We will store it in our freezer.
>
> Michael

Horrific, isn't it? Temple Grandin did a lot to bring more humane
methods to cattle slaughter but there's just no getting away from the
fact that living creatures have to die to feed us meat eaters. AFAIK,
in large scale productions, grass-fed beef are slaughtered in the same
way as feed lot beef. But at least they lead better lives.

Boomer, if you live in a rural area, you might be able to find a local
source for pasture-raised meat. In California, there are ranchers who
will sell a whole or half lamb or a side of beef, for example, and
they advertise on the internet. It's quite affordable, if you have a
big enough freezer to store the meat, and in my experience the meat is
very high quality. Some of them will "finish" the animal briefly on
grain to up the fat content in the meat. Plus there is a cottage
industry in selling basically hand-raised sheep or pigs and chickens.
My nieces in the foothills used to raise pigs, sheep, and chickens as
part of a FFA school project. I never understood how they could bear
it when the little lamb or piglet they hand raised was slaughtered,
but I suppose the realities of ranching or farming provide a more
practical perspective.

Good to see you posting!

Best,

Ricavito
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 5, 9:05*am, Ricavito > wrote:
> On May 4, 7:37*pm, "Boomer" > wrote:
>
> > Being type 2 more or less pushes me into eating more meat than most people do. I just watched a documentary called Food Inc.. This video shocked me. I saw on the screen how poultry and meat were raised and butchered.. It was disgusting. The filth in which these animals live is horrible. They are then butchered covered with faeces.

> > I was disgusted enough to do something. I found 5 nearby cattle and poultry farms that sell directly. I had no idea that I had other choices than the super market. These 5 places raise free ranging animals. You actually go to their farm to buy the meat. And, it is not much more expensive than the horrible stuff sold in the super market.

> > I just need to buy about a 6 month supply before winter sets in again. We will store it in our freezer.

> > Michael

> Horrific, isn't it? *Temple Grandin did a lot to bring more humane
> methods to cattle slaughter but there's just no getting away from the
> fact that living creatures have to die to feed us meat eaters. AFAIK,
> in large scale productions, grass-fed beef are slaughtered in the same
> way as feed lot beef. *But at least they lead better lives.
>
> Boomer, if you live in a rural area, you might be able to find a local
> source for pasture-raised meat. *In California, there are ranchers who
> will sell a whole or half lamb or a side of beef, for example, and
> they advertise on the internet. *It's quite affordable, if you have a
> big enough freezer to store the meat, and in my experience the meat is
> very high quality. *Some of them will "finish" the animal briefly on
> grain to up the fat content in the meat. *Plus there is a cottage
> industry in selling basically hand-raised sheep or pigs and chickens.
> My nieces in the foothills used to raise pigs, sheep, and chickens as
> part of a FFA school project. *I never understood how they could bear
> it when the little lamb or piglet they hand raised was slaughtered,
> but I suppose the realities of ranching or farming provide a more
> practical perspective.
>
> Good to see you posting!
>
> Best,
>
> Ricavito

Doh, I just read the second half of your post (must get a laptop with
a bigger screen!) -- good on you Boomer for finding a good source of
local pasture raised meat!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message ...

[...]

I dont want to beat a dead horse here Julie, but I simply did not know. Of course I knew how free range meat was produced. My wife and I grew up on a homestead with a few acres and my wifes father was a commercial fisherman. My wife killed the farm animals and butchered them. I knew what that was like. The animals roamed free until their death. I was not thrilled to see her killing the animals, but I knew it was going to be food on the table. The animals were killed quickly and butchered in a clean environment. Cutting wood for heat and home maintenance on a 60 year old home was done by me and my foster brother. We also helped harvest vegetables.

The good news is this strict division of labour has stuck with us through our lives. There is never an argument about which chores should be done by whom.

I dont think it is my fault that I did not happen to see any movies or video about how modern meat production is done. At least I know now and can buy decently raised and prepared meat.

I suspect that because you were a vegetarian you were more likely to be exposed to the truth about meat production in America. I just naively assumed that meat production was done about the same way as on our small farm.

My wife was very strict about never allowing an animal to be named if it was going to be food. She has always been the heavy.

Michael
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Boomer > wrote:

: Hi Wendy,

: We no longer watch television programming. We just gave up on it years ago.
: We do watch a new movie from Netflix each night. That is how we found out
: about the meat production in this country.

: I don't doubt that there might be some good programming on television, but
: it is not worth our time to go through all the trash trying to find it.
: Plus, the commercial breaks are long now. After growing up with Walter
: Cronkite and other good news programming, the current excuse for news is a
: joke. We get our news from the internet.

One problem with cutting oneself off from much of the regular media isthat
using the internet, you select and may, easily , miss a great deal. No
need to read every word of a god paper, or alisten to newscsts every day,
but it helps to keep in touch.

: My wife reads to me every day. We are currently going through every book
: John Fuller ever wrote. He is a pretty good author. He writes non-fiction. I
: don't think my wife would choose a book about meat production. It would
: definitely be a subject for which she would have no interest and likewise
: for me. However, giving up 90 minutes for a video about it was OK.
I suggest Omivore's dilemma on severaly counts, not only how corn has
aken over teh US food supply, but other interesting, not necessarily gory
aspects of animal and poultry raising, but for an excellent account of,
not only problems, but good directions to head to.

: BTW, it was sad to see in the video that the FDA no longer protects the
: quality of food offered for sale. The FDA is currently run by ex employees
: of the food industry. Many people must die before the FDA is forced to act
: on tainted food. We live in a country run by corporations for profit. Many
: Americans think this is a good idea. I don't.

: I think that someone who must drive many miles to get untainted food, is at
: a serious disadvantage and will be tempted to buy super market meat instead
: of paying higher prices for the meat and fuel to get to it.

The USDA is in charge of he meat inductry, not the FDA

: BTW, there is something seriously wrong with Walmart turkey. It always
: tastes really bad. God knows what they are putting into it. I just got a
: long email back from Eggland's Best. I queried them about how their organic
: eggs were produced. They sent pictures of the production. I was satisfied.
: Eggs are very cheap protein. If anyone is interested I would forward that
: long email with pictures to your email address.

: Michael

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my area only sells "organic" eggs and we just did a news story that there's
zero regulations on what qualifies as "organic" so its marketing fluff.

they do not sell free range.

even the one butcher shop I know of thats been here for 120 years..they buy
the same meat as the grocery store..their service is butchering it for you
in nicer cuts.

KROM

"Susan" wrote
None of the supermarkets in my area sell free range meat, so I drive a
good distance to one that does, a specialty market. Many have certified
humane chicken, period, but not other meats.

Susan

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Boomer > wrote:
>
> : Hi Wendy,
>
> : We no longer watch television programming. We just gave up on it years
> ago.
> : We do watch a new movie from Netflix each night. That is how we found
> out
> : about the meat production in this country.
>
> : I don't doubt that there might be some good programming on television,
> but
> : it is not worth our time to go through all the trash trying to find it.
> : Plus, the commercial breaks are long now. After growing up with Walter
> : Cronkite and other good news programming, the current excuse for news is
> : joke. We get our news from the internet.
>
> One problem with cutting oneself off from much of the regular media isthat
> using the internet, you select and may, easily , miss a great deal. No
> need to read every word of a god paper, or alisten to newscsts every day,
> but it helps to keep in touch.

I don't watch television either. I do read the news on the internet, and
I'm sure I see whatever is important to know in terms of national and
international events. I also get the local paper on Sundays.