Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA
Send a message via AIM to stubbs
Default Diabetic Friendly Meals That Taste Good

Hey guys!
What's your thoughts on meals that are both diabetic friendly and taste good? I have an aunt that was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I wanted to offer her some solutions--

She feels like she is in for a world of bland, flavorless food-- but I beg to differ. Thoughts?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/11/2010 11:52 AM, stubbs wrote:
> Hey guys!
> What's your thoughts on meals that are both diabetic friendly and taste
> good? I have an aunt that was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I
> wanted to offer her some solutions--
>
> She feels like she is in for a world of bland, flavorless food-- but I
> beg to differ. Thoughts?

Tell her that spicy food isn't a problem. The problem is carbohydrates.
She must learn to limit her carbohydrate intake. Things like bread,
pasta, potatoes, corn have to be cut back on (a lot).

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: On 11/11/2010 11:52 AM, stubbs wrote:
: > Hey guys!
: > What's your thoughts on meals that are both diabetic friendly and taste
: > good? I have an aunt that was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I
: > wanted to offer her some solutions--
: >
: > She feels like she is in for a world of bland, flavorless food-- but I
: > beg to differ. Thoughts?
: >
: Tell her that spicy food isn't a problem. The problem is carbohydrates.
: She must learn to limit her carbohydrate intake. Things like bread,
: pasta, potatoes, corn have to be cut back on (a lot).

: --
: Janet Wilder

I agree with janet. All the spices and herbs you want, just not the
carbohydrates. In a recent post I mentioned a laamb stew tht I am working
my way through(4 pints now in the freezer for future enjoyment) that is
delicious and filling. I just add peeled white turnips in place oof the
potatoes one ordinarily puts into stew. When my husband was alive, I
would add some potatoes, usually small red ones, whole with the sikn on so
I could identify them easily and serve them only to him.

/Broiled, baked, roasted mets or fish are all fine, just don't fry the
fish with bread crumbs on them. Lots of non-starchy vegetables work well,
plenty of green salad using all kinds of greens and a hme made dressing of
oil and vinegar , herbs, salt and pepper, mustarad, if you like, just no
suggar added.

This is just the ti of the iceberg, but read here and get some more good
ideas.

Wendy-25 years with this disease and in good control

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
stubbs > wrote:

> Hey guys!
> What's your thoughts on meals that are both diabetic friendly and taste
> good? I have an aunt that was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I
> wanted to offer her some solutions--
>
> She feels like she is in for a world of bland, flavorless food-- but I
> beg to differ. Thoughts?

Good heavens! Spices, garlic, herbs.... none of those contain much carb
if any. The bland, flavorless stuff is starchy, not suitable for a
low-carb diet.

Try broiled salmon with lemon juice, fresh green beans with a pat of
butter, a salad with romaine, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, a little red
onion sliced very thin, salty Greek olives, and a garlic vinaigrette.
Now *there* is a meal fit for a diabetic king (or queen)!

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"stubbs" > wrote in message

> Hey guys!
> What's your thoughts on meals that are both diabetic friendly and taste
> good? I have an aunt that was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I
> wanted to offer her some solutions--
>
> She feels like she is in for a world of bland, flavorless food-- but I
> beg to differ. Thoughts?

Why would it be bland? Herbs and spices don't have many carbs.