Member

Default Diabetic Desserts

My Dad recently got diagnosed with a mild form of diabetes.
He's feeling quite miserable that he can't eat the same desserts that we are. So, I'm looking for food ideas for the whole family, that are tasty and delicious but that won't set him off (especially in small portions) and preferably aren't too hard to make.

Do you have any ideas?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Allegrobox" > wrote in message

> My Dad recently got diagnosed with a mild form of diabetes.
> He's feeling quite miserable that he can't eat the same desserts that we
> are. So, I'm looking for food ideas for the whole family, that are tasty
> and delicious but that won't set him off (especially in small portions)
> and preferably aren't too hard to make.

He should run quickly to another Dr.! There is no such thing as a mild form
of diabetes. He also needs to get some education on diet.

Carbs are what raise our BG (blood glucose). There are carbs in all sorts
of foods such as bread, cereal, pasta, rice, pean, dried beans, potatoes,
fruit, some sauces, gravies, many prepared foods and of course sweets.
These other foods can raise BG just as much as sweets can.

> Do you have any ideas?

I don't eat desserts, but giving them up was no big deal for me because I
rarely ate them anyway.

I don't have any recipes, but perhaps some others will come by with low carb
recipes. I know you can make meringues, cheesecake, and some sort of
chocolate candy with artificial sweeteners. You might also try doing a
search of low carb desserts.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/24/2010 1:24 AM, Allegrobox wrote:
> My Dad recently got diagnosed with a mild form of diabetes.
> He's feeling quite miserable that he can't eat the same desserts that we
> are. So, I'm looking for food ideas for the whole family, that are tasty
> and delicious but that won't set him off (especially in small portions)
> and preferably aren't too hard to make.
>
> Do you have any ideas?

berries

berries, berries, berries

small scoop of GOOD ice cream (note: small) with berries

or berries with cream on them (UK?? clotted cream)

enjoy! (and you can have these nutritious delicious desserts too, then
he won't be jealous of what you are having. when i was first diagnosed,
i simply could NOT have anything 'not so good for me' that was going to
tempt me or make me feel deprived under my roof!)

kate
type 1, Aug/89, complication free

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Allegrobox" > wrote in message

> My Dad recently got diagnosed with a mild form of diabetes.
> He's feeling quite miserable that he can't eat the same desserts that we
> are. So, I'm looking for food ideas for the whole family, that are tasty
> and delicious but that won't set him off (especially in small portions)
> and preferably aren't too hard to make.
>
> Do you have any ideas?
>

> --
> Allegrobox

Go here, click on desserts. That should keep you busy. :-)

http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/LowCar...ng-Recipes.htm

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 10/24/2010 1:24 AM, Allegrobox wrote:
>> My Dad recently got diagnosed with a mild form of diabetes.
>> He's feeling quite miserable that he can't eat the same desserts that we
>> are. So, I'm looking for food ideas for the whole family, that are tasty
>> and delicious but that won't set him off (especially in small portions)
>> and preferably aren't too hard to make.
>>
>> Do you have any ideas?
>>

> berries
>
> berries, berries, berries
>
> small scoop of GOOD ice cream (note: small) with berries
>
> or berries with cream on them (UK?? clotted cream)
>
> enjoy! (and you can have these nutritious delicious desserts too, then he
> won't be jealous of what you are having. when i was first diagnosed, i
> simply could NOT have anything 'not so good for me' that was going to
> tempt me or make me feel deprived under my roof!)
>
> kate
> type 1, Aug/89, complication free

I was looking at the Desserts and one of them ,told the ingredients for
pecan crust...at the end it said AS ...anybody know what that means?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/24/2010 2:24 AM, Allegrobox wrote:
> My Dad recently got diagnosed with a mild form of diabetes.
> He's feeling quite miserable that he can't eat the same desserts that we
> are. So, I'm looking for food ideas for the whole family, that are tasty
> and delicious but that won't set him off (especially in small portions)
> and preferably aren't too hard to make.
>
> Do you have any ideas?

sugar-free Jello. You can whip it when it gets to the syrupy stage in
the fridge. It makes a nice mousse.

My DH likes lemon/lime granita. It's really easy to make with fresh
lemon and lime juice, 1 cup water, 1 cup Splenda. Before juicing the
fruit, put a metal oblong cake pan in the freezer. Pour the water,
Splenda and juice (all to your taste) into the cold pan and put back in
the freezer. Set the timer for 30 minutes. Take a fork and scrape the
edges and surface of the granita so large crystals don't form. Do this
every 30 minutes until you have a whole pan full of ices. Transfer to a
container and freeze. Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving.

I like to serve a scoop of granita in a champagne saucer with a fresh
mint leaf as a garnish.

I have made granita from cantaloupe, strawberries, and even watermelon.
Just puree the fruit and add the Splenda water.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

almond slivers?

KROM

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 10/24/2010 1:24 AM, Allegrobox wrote:
>> My Dad recently got diagnosed with a mild form of diabetes.
>> He's feeling quite miserable that he can't eat the same desserts that we
>> are. So, I'm looking for food ideas for the whole family, that are tasty
>> and delicious but that won't set him off (especially in small portions)
>> and preferably aren't too hard to make.
>>
>> Do you have any ideas?
>>

> berries
>
> berries, berries, berries
>
> small scoop of GOOD ice cream (note: small) with berries
>
> or berries with cream on them (UK?? clotted cream)
>
> enjoy! (and you can have these nutritious delicious desserts too, then he
> won't be jealous of what you are having. when i was first diagnosed, i
> simply could NOT have anything 'not so good for me' that was going to
> tempt me or make me feel deprived under my roof!)
>
> kate
> type 1, Aug/89, complication free

I was looking at the Desserts and one of them ,told the ingredients for
pecan crust...at the end it said AS ...anybody know what that means?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 14:28:35 -0400, Jacquie wrote
(in article > ):

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 10/24/2010 1:24 AM, Allegrobox wrote:
>>> My Dad recently got diagnosed with a mild form of diabetes.
>>> He's feeling quite miserable that he can't eat the same desserts that we
>>> are. So, I'm looking for food ideas for the whole family, that are tasty
>>> and delicious but that won't set him off (especially in small portions)
>>> and preferably aren't too hard to make.
>>>
>>> Do you have any ideas?
>>>

>> berries
>>
>> berries, berries, berries
>>
>> small scoop of GOOD ice cream (note: small) with berries
>>
>> or berries with cream on them (UK?? clotted cream)
>>
>> enjoy! (and you can have these nutritious delicious desserts too, then he
>> won't be jealous of what you are having. when i was first diagnosed, i
>> simply could NOT have anything 'not so good for me' that was going to
>> tempt me or make me feel deprived under my roof!)
>>
>> kate
>> type 1, Aug/89, complication free
>>

> I was looking at the Desserts and one of them ,told the ingredients for
> pecan crust...at the end it said AS ...anybody know what that means?

Artificial Sweetener?

TaniO

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily wrote:
> berries
>
> berries, berries, berries
>
> small scoop of GOOD ice cream (note: small) with berries
>
> or berries with cream on them (UK?? clotted cream)
>
> enjoy! (and you can have these nutritious delicious desserts too, then
> he won't be jealous of what you are having. when i was first
> diagnosed, i simply could NOT have anything 'not so good for me' that
> was going to tempt me or make me feel deprived under my roof!)

I would go for the berries with whipped or clotted cream unless the icecream
has no added sugar.

But "berries" may well mean no more than 1/3 to 1/2 cup of berries.
Measured. Not eyeballed. Don't think that because berries are fruit that
eating more than a small serving is necessarily acceptable in terms of BG
levels. There is no way he can tell how berries affect him unless he tests
after eating them.