Racheal Fong

Default Diabetic Recipe: Sugar Free Desserts & Side Dishes

Orange Rice

1 c. rice, uncooked
1 c. water
1 c. orange juice
1 tsp. reduced calorie margarine
Dash of salt
1 tbsp. orange rind, freshly grated
1/2 c. fresh orange sections, seeded

In a 2-quart microwave safe casserole, combine the rice, water, orange
juice, margarine and salt. Cover, microwave on High for 5 minutes.
Stir in the orange rind. Turn the bowl 1/4 turn. Microwave on High for
an additional 10 minutes, turning the bowl after 5 minutes. Do not
uncover the bowl. Allow to set, covered for an additional 10 minutes
or until all of the liquids have been absorbed. Immediately before
serving, fluff with a fork, add orange sections and mix gently. Serve
with pride.

-------------------------
Banana Nut Bread

1 c. flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
7 pkts. Sweet and Low1/4 c. butter, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 egg yolks, beaten
1/4 c. pecans
3 bananas, mashed
2 egg whites, beaten stiff

Mix together: Add: Fold in stiff egg whites last, bake in loaf pan at
350 degrees until done. Apples, raisins or other fruit may be added.

----------------------------
Pear, Apple Cobbler

1 qt. pears or apples
12 oz. can thawed unsweetened apple juice
2 tsp. butter flavoring
1 tbsp. liquid sweetener

Mix together: Add: Fold in stiff egg whites last, bake in loaf pan at
350 degrees until done. Apples, raisins or other fruit may be added.

----------------------------
Diabetic Baked Onions

Cover pie plate in foil (for easy cleaning). Use two to three onions
per person, cooking size. Do not peel. Place onions on pie tin and
bake one hour at 400 degrees. When done cut root end off, squeeze stem
end and it should come out whole. Spread margarine/butter over onions,
season with salt and pepper. Not for microwaves. Great with baked
potatoes.

---------------------------
No-Sugar Custard

6 egg yolks
1/4 c. Fruit Sweet
1/2 c. flour
2 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. butter

In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks and Fruit Sweet until thick and pale.
While continuing to beat, gradually sift in flour. Pour into a
saucepan and place over low heat on the stove and gradually add milk
and vanilla. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened to
a custard consistency, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Melt butter
and pour over custard to prevent a skin from forming while it cools.
Makes 3 cups.

--------------------------
Recommended Sugar Free Desserts & Side Dishes Recipe Books

Sweet and Sugar Free : An All Natural Fruit-Sweetened Dessert Cookbook
by Karen E. Barkie
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...2780664/2media

No-Fuss Diabetes Recipes for 1 or 2 : 125 Healthy & Delicious Meals
and Desserts
by Jackie Boucher
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...1347949/2media

How Sweet It Is...Without the Sugar by Jean C. Wade
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...0878862/2media

The Healthy Exchanges Diabetic Desserts Cookbook by Joanna M. Lund
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...9528849/2media

Stevia: Naturally Sweet Recipes for Desserts, Drinks, and More by
Rita Depuydt
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...0671338/2media

Desserts for Diabetics: 125 Recipes for Delicious Traditional Desserts
Adapted for Diabetic Diets by R.D. Mabel Cavaiani
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...9517340/2media

Diabetic Goodie Book by Kathy Kochan
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...2047171/2media

1,001 Delicious Desserts for People With Diabetes by Sue Spitler
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...2840498/2media

Eat Yourself Thin With Fabulous Desserts by Nancy Moshier
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...0102917/2media

The Naturally Sweet Baker : 150 Decadent Desserts Made With Honey,
Maple Syrup, and Other Delicious Alternatives to Refined Sugar by
Carrie Davis
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...8612574/2media
Alan

On 27 Jan 2005 18:14:34 -0800, (Racheal Fong)
wrote:

|Orange Rice
|
|1 c. rice, uncooked
|1 c. water
|1 c. orange juice
|1 tsp. reduced calorie margarine
|Dash of salt
|1 tbsp. orange rind, freshly grated
|1/2 c. fresh orange sections, seeded
|
|In a 2-quart microwave safe casserole, combine the rice, water, orange
|juice, margarine and salt. Cover, microwave on High for 5 minutes.
|Stir in the orange rind. Turn the bowl 1/4 turn. Microwave on High for
|an additional 10 minutes, turning the bowl after 5 minutes. Do not
|uncover the bowl. Allow to set, covered for an additional 10 minutes
|or until all of the liquids have been absorbed. Immediately before
|serving, fluff with a fork, add orange sections and mix gently. Serve
|with pride.

You didn't list ingredients numbers, so I tried it out in the dwidb
programme:

Cal 895
Protein 15.6
Fat 5.5
Carbs 192.6
Fiber 12.1

Deducting Fibre, net carbs are 180. For a 15 gm serve, you need to
divide into 12 serves. They'd look mighty small.

|-------------------------
|Banana Nut Bread
|

|1 c. flour
|1 tsp. soda
|1 tsp. baking powder
|1/4 tsp. salt
|7 pkts. Sweet and Low1/4 c. butter, softened
|1/2 tsp. vanilla
|2 egg yolks, beaten
|1/4 c. pecans
|3 bananas, mashed
|2 egg whites, beaten stiff
|
|Mix together: Add: Fold in stiff egg whites last, bake in loaf pan at
|350 degrees until done. Apples, raisins or other fruit may be added.

I tried it again for this one:

Cal 1494
Protein 32.3
Fat 71.4
Carbs 194.4
Fiber 17.3

Deducting Fibre, net carbs are 177.1. Again, for a 15 gm serve, you need
to divide into 12 slices. Very, very, thin slices.

I didn't bother with the others, they continue in the same trend.

Wonderful recipes for anyone reading who subscribes to the high-carb
methods of treating diabetes. Pointless recipes for my purposes.

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
BJ in Texas

Racheal Fong wrote:
|| Orange Rice

Sure hope you don't feed this to most Type IIs.
Looks like a BG high.

BJ

None Given

"Alan" > wrote in message
> I didn't bother with the others, they continue in the same trend.
>
> Wonderful recipes for anyone reading who subscribes to the high-carb
> methods of treating diabetes. Pointless recipes for my purposes.

At least I know to save my money by not buying any of those cookbooks.
I've also learned by reading labels to stay away from any food labeled
'diabetic' at the grocery store, it seems to mean 'more carbs than the
regular kind.'

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

There is a great stampede back to real foods with carbs. Any diabetic
can eat carbs without problems if you work to control it.
I eat rice two to three times per day without any problems at all and
so do most of the people I know.

Hahabogus

Alan > wrote in
:

> You didn't list ingredients numbers, so I tried it out in the dwidb
> programme:
>
> Cal 895
> Protein 15.6
> Fat 5.5
> Carbs 192.6
> Fiber 12.1
>
> Deducting Fibre, net carbs are 180. For a 15 gm serve, you need to
> divide into 12 serves. They'd look mighty small.

Guess she isn't aware that low carb means lower BG yet.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Thomas Muffaletto

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> There is a great stampede back to real foods with carbs. Any diabetic
> can eat carbs without problems if you work to control it.
> I eat rice two to three times per day without any problems at all and
> so do most of the people I know.

as do I however I had to admit if I eat TOO MUCH it will spike me.
for me a serving of that rice recipe would be 1/3 cup - 2/3 a cup.
however when I was first diagnosed I would need medications for even that
small amount.
2 years later my carb intake ability has increased and no need for any
medications as a result of proper diet and increasing my activity.
Tom
--
Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...
Your American Diabetes Association

Zamponia

Racheal Fong > wrote in message
om...
> Orange Rice
>
> 1 c. rice, uncooked

Who is the idiot who made up a recipe for diabetics using 1 cup of rice?

Alan S

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 20:04:57 -0500, "Zamponia" >
wrote:

|Racheal Fong > wrote in message
. com...
|> Orange Rice
|>
|> 1 c. rice, uncooked
|
|Who is the idiot who made up a recipe for diabetics using 1 cup of rice?

The ADA
Cheers, Alan
Sherry

"Zamponia" > wrote in
:

> Racheal Fong > wrote in message
> om...
>> Orange Rice
>>
>> 1 c. rice, uncooked

> Who is the idiot who made up a recipe for diabetics using 1 cup of
> rice?

Not to mention cooking it in orange juice.

Sherry
Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
Alan S > wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 20:04:57 -0500, "Zamponia" >
> wrote:
>

> |Racheal Fong > wrote in message
> . com...
> |> Orange Rice
> |>
> |> 1 c. rice, uncooked
> |
> |Who is the idiot who made up a recipe for diabetics using 1 cup of rice?
> |
> The ADA

Oh, right! *Those* idiots -- the really dangerous ones.

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.

Sugar Free Diabetic Desserts tan Recipes 1 11-12-2011 04:42 PM
Diabetic Desserts Allegrobox Diabetic 12 27-10-2010 05:15 PM
Sugar-free, sweetener-free cheesecake recipe wanted [email protected] General Cooking 10 04-08-2006 07:54 PM
Diabetic Recipe: Sugar Free Entrees Racheal Fong Diabetic 1 29-01-2005 04:35 AM
sugar free icing recipe? [email protected] Diabetic 7 17-12-2004 03:09 PM