Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Just cleaned out the fridge. Eek!

I am pretty good about going through the veggie bin weekly and tossing out
any old leftovers. We don't have a lot of leftovers. But the other day I
did toss out the shredded chicken that Angela didn't like and the Carne
Deshebrada that I like but doesn't set well with my stomach.

But the other stuff? I was watching one of those hoarder shows last night
and the stuff they found in that fridge was certainly more disgusting than
anything I've ever found. Except for when I was roommates with a medical
student. But I digress.

I realized that I had 4 eggs in there bought for husband. They will likely
not be good by the time he comes back. Angela said she would eat them, so I
am boiling them for her.

I then went through all the bottles and jars. Luckily I didn't find any
duplicates. We are famous for that. Somebody thinks we are out of
something like salad dressing so we buy and open a new one. But that wasn't
the case today. In fact all of the salad dressing was still good.

What I did find were some ancient olives (some from an olive bar and not in
brine) and tons of pickles. Each one of us have gone through a pickle phase
at some point where some kind of pickles looked very appealing at the store.
So we bought them. And for the most part didn't eat them. At all. Found a
jar of sugar free sweet pickles (Nalley brand) that expired some time in
2009. There is a jar of organic baby dills that seems to have no expiration
date on it but I think it was bought fairly recently. That was the only jar
I kept. The rest got tossed.

Then there was the weird jar of pickled beets. They are from Sweet Creek
Farms. They make organic and sugar free things. And by sugar free I mean
free of any sweeteners whatever. I do like most of their stuff. But the
beets? Just odd. They come in a jar. They don't taste quite like plain
canned beets. But they are also lacking that vinegar tang of most pickled
beets. They are edible. Just not super appealing. So out they went.

Then there was the container of Rice Milk that sort of turned into Rice
Cottage Cheese. Eek! And I did find that partially used container of Feta
cheese that I just knew that I had. But do you think Angela or I could find
it yesterday? No! I had bought more because it was on sale. So now I have
two open packages of Feta. I would mix them but they are different brands.

Now the bell is dinging for the eggs. Gotta go cool them. So what is the
yuckiest thing in your fridge?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 17:54:29 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Now the bell is dinging for the eggs. Gotta go cool them. So what is the
>yuckiest thing in your fridge?

LOL - I refuse to answer that question I definitely recognised your
list though...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 15/09/2010 10:54 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Now the bell is dinging for the eggs. Gotta go cool them. So what is the
> yuckiest thing in your fridge?

That would have to be that purple sprouting stuff I found right at the
back the other day, I really have no idea what it used to be in its
former life :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 15/09/2010 10:54 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> Now the bell is dinging for the eggs. Gotta go cool them. So what is
>> the
>> yuckiest thing in your fridge?

Eek!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 15/09/2010 10:54 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> Now the bell is dinging for the eggs. Gotta go cool them. So what
>> is the
>> yuckiest thing in your fridge?
>>

> That would have to be that purple sprouting stuff I found right at the
> back the other day, I really have no idea what it used to be in its
> former life :-)

Ok, my current "find" not necessarily yucky... My daughter keeps buying
stuff for her babies and just shoving the goods in the fridge willy
nilly Yesterday I found a small container of some kind of leftover
takeaway Chinese food... We haven't had Chinese for a good few weeks. I
did find an over-soft tomato - that's about as disgusting as it got this
time around. No milk that had become yoghurt, no mouldy cheese, no
unrecognisable veggies, pretty good I reckon

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "RodS" > wrote in message
>> On 15/09/2010 10:54 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> Now the bell is dinging for the eggs. Gotta go cool them. So what is
>>> the
>>> yuckiest thing in your fridge?
>>>

>> That would have to be that purple sprouting stuff I found right at the
>> back the other day, I really have no idea what it used to be in its
>> former life :-)

> Ok, my current "find" not necessarily yucky... My daughter keeps buying
> stuff for her babies and just shoving the goods in the fridge willy nilly
> Yesterday I found a small container of some kind of leftover takeaway
> Chinese food... We haven't had Chinese for a good few weeks. I did find an
> over-soft tomato - that's about as disgusting as it got this time around.
> No milk that had become yoghurt, no mouldy cheese, no unrecognisable
> veggies, pretty good I reckon

Well that's good!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "RodS" > wrote in message
>> On 15/09/2010 10:54 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> Now the bell is dinging for the eggs. Gotta go cool them. So what is
>>> the
>>> yuckiest thing in your fridge?
>>>

>> That would have to be that purple sprouting stuff I found right at the
>> back the other day, I really have no idea what it used to be in its
>> former life :-)

> Ok, my current "find" not necessarily yucky... My daughter keeps buying
> stuff for her babies and just shoving the goods in the fridge willy nilly
> Yesterday I found a small container of some kind of leftover takeaway
> Chinese food... We haven't had Chinese for a good few weeks. I did find an
> over-soft tomato - that's about as disgusting as it got this time around.
> No milk that had become yoghurt, no mouldy cheese, no unrecognisable
> veggies, pretty good I reckon

Since growing up with seven kids, the fridge at our house always had
something that was moldy, or hard as a rock that someone had stashed in it
somewhere. After I got married and moved away, I can't remember having
anything in my fridge that wasn't edible. I'm pretty much of a fanatic about
that. LOL

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"atec77" > wrote in message
> On 16/09/2010 9:54 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Ok, my current "find" not necessarily yucky... My daughter keeps
>>> buying stuff for her babies and just shoving the goods in the fridge
>>> willy nilly Yesterday I found a small container of some kind of
>>> leftover takeaway Chinese food... We haven't had Chinese for a good
>>> few weeks. I did find an over-soft tomato - that's about as disgusting
>>> as it got this time around. No milk that had become yoghurt, no mouldy
>>> cheese, no unrecognisable veggies, pretty good I reckon

>> Since growing up with seven kids, the fridge at our house always had
>> something that was moldy, or hard as a rock that someone had stashed in
>> it somewhere. After I got married and moved away, I can't remember
>> having anything in my fridge that wasn't edible. I'm pretty much of a
>> fanatic about that. LOL
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> We simply shop every fortnight
> fridge is cleaned and repacked so nothing to bad

What is a fortnight?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "atec77" > wrote in message

>>> Since growing up with seven kids, the fridge at our house always had
>>> something that was moldy, or hard as a rock that someone had stashed in
>>> it somewhere. After I got married and moved away, I can't remember
>>> having anything in my fridge that wasn't edible. I'm pretty much of a
>>> fanatic about that. LOL
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> We simply shop every fortnight
>> fridge is cleaned and repacked so nothing to bad

> What is a fortnight?

Two weeks?

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> We simply shop every fortnight
>>> fridge is cleaned and repacked so nothing to bad

>> What is a fortnight?

> Two weeks?

Maybe. I know I've looked it up countless times. But it never sticks in my
mind because we don't use the term here.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: >>
: >> What is a fortnight?
: >
: > Two weeks?

: Maybe. I know I've looked it up countless times. But it never sticks in my
: mind because we don't use the term here.

Yup! twoo weeks. Remember 14 days or 14 nights to be more precise. that
shoudl help fix it in your mind.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : >>
> : >> What is a fortnight?
> : >
> : > Two weeks?
>
> : Maybe. I know I've looked it up countless times. But it never sticks
> in my
> : mind because we don't use the term here.
>
> Yup! twoo weeks. Remember 14 days or 14 nights to be more precise. that
> shoudl help fix it in your mind.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> Since growing up with seven kids, the fridge at our house always had
> something that was moldy, or hard as a rock that someone had stashed
> in it somewhere. After I got married and moved away, I can't remember
> having anything in my fridge that wasn't edible. I'm pretty much of a
> fanatic about that. LOL

I had one year (last year) of just 3 of us. First time in many, many
years You could see everything in the fridge at a glance, lol. Now we
have 7 and the fridge is a shemozzle! The 2 and 3 year old are in it
all day it seems. They even drag chairs over so they can check out the
freezer frequently! Currently nothing more exciting that frozen veggies
in there at the moment They hear the ice cream truck long before we
do but that's still a day away. They won't accept there is nothing for
them in the fridge/freezer The 2 yr old takes bites out of all the
tomatoes, but we are out of tomatoes, even bitten into ones One good
thing, no one touches my special food items, the olives, feta cheese,
gherkins etc are always there when I need them

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 17/09/2010 8:42 AM, Alan S wrote:

>>> Maybe. I know I've looked it up countless times. But it never
>>> sticks in my
>>> mind because we don't use the term here.

>> Fourteen nights = fortnight = two weeks.
>>
>> Very commonly used term in the UK and Australia. Many things are done
>> fortnightly, including government pension payments.
>>

> Thank goodness :-) Yesterday

Not here Its my off week, get some child support though. That
provides just food for the week (and includes at least 2-3 breakfasts
for my ex! who happens to just wander in around 7 am) - my son buys the
meat though on these off weeks..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message

>>> Two weeks?

>>Maybe. I know I've looked it up countless times. But it never sticks in
>>my
>>mind because we don't use the term here.

> Fourteen nights = fortnight = two weeks.
>
> Very commonly used term in the UK and Australia. Many things are done
> fortnightly, including government pension payments.

Here we say bi-weekly.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Alan S" > wrote in message

>>>Maybe. I know I've looked it up countless times. But it never sticks in
>>>my
>>>mind because we don't use the term here.

>> Fourteen nights = fortnight = two weeks.
>>
>> Very commonly used term in the UK and Australia. Many things are done
>> fortnightly, including government pension payments.

> Here we say bi-weekly.

Really? I say twice monthly. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>
>> Since growing up with seven kids, the fridge at our house always had
>> something that was moldy, or hard as a rock that someone had stashed in
>> it somewhere. After I got married and moved away, I can't remember having
>> anything in my fridge that wasn't edible. I'm pretty much of a fanatic
>> about that. LOL

> I had one year (last year) of just 3 of us. First time in many, many years
> You could see everything in the fridge at a glance, lol. Now we have 7
> and the fridge is a shemozzle! The 2 and 3 year old are in it all day it
> seems. They even drag chairs over so they can check out the freezer
> frequently! Currently nothing more exciting that frozen veggies in there
> at the moment They hear the ice cream truck long before we do but
> that's still a day away. They won't accept there is nothing for them in
> the fridge/freezer The 2 yr old takes bites out of all the tomatoes,
> but we are out of tomatoes, even bitten into ones One good thing, no
> one touches my special food items, the olives, feta cheese, gherkins etc
> are always there when I need them

LOL, reminds me of my mom. She had some special things that we weren't to
touch, Anchovy Paste was one of those things, of course...I touched it,
squeezed it out of the tube, ate some of it, and omigod...it was terrible.
Couldn't really stand the idea of anchovies for many years, except as bait.
:-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Cheri" > wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Alan S" > wrote in message
> >> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:46:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> >> Fourteen nights = fortnight = two weeks.
> >>
> >> Very commonly used term in the UK and Australia. Many things are done
> >> fortnightly, including government pension payments.

> > Here we say bi-weekly.

> Really? I say twice monthly. :-)
>
> Cheri

But twice monthly isn't the same thing as bi-weekly or once a fortnight.
There are 26 fortnights in a year, but only 24 half months.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i verge on ocd where this is concerned, since i can't see and dh can't smell
we cross check each other all the time, once you have had food posioning and
a food sanatatin course you tend to be very dilligent, Lee
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> That would have to be that purple sprouting stuff I found right at the
>>> back the other day, I really have no idea what it used to be in its
>>> former life :-)

>> Ok, my current "find" not necessarily yucky... My daughter keeps buying
>> stuff for her babies and just shoving the goods in the fridge willy nilly
>> Yesterday I found a small container of some kind of leftover takeaway
>> Chinese food... We haven't had Chinese for a good few weeks. I did find
>> an over-soft tomato - that's about as disgusting as it got this time
>> around. No milk that had become yoghurt, no mouldy cheese, no
>> unrecognisable veggies, pretty good I reckon

> Since growing up with seven kids, the fridge at our house always had
> something that was moldy, or hard as a rock that someone had stashed in it
> somewhere. After I got married and moved away, I can't remember having
> anything in my fridge that wasn't edible. I'm pretty much of a fanatic
> about that. LOL
>
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

one of the things we had to inventory was the frig after the fire, what a
horrible experience, not because most of the food had gone bad but because
of the waste... it was pretty gruesome but what scared the crap outta me was
that the more processed stuff like the activia yogurt seemed to not have
spolied, mind you i didn't taste it but the fresh salsa had pooched up, the
activia on the other hand was smooth and seemingly unscathed by spoliage, if
there ever was something to make me strive even harder for non processed
foods it was this experience, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I am pretty good about going through the veggie bin weekly and tossing out
>any old leftovers. We don't have a lot of leftovers. But the other day I
>did toss out the shredded chicken that Angela didn't like and the Carne
>Deshebrada that I like but doesn't set well with my stomach.
>
> But the other stuff? I was watching one of those hoarder shows last night
> and the stuff they found in that fridge was certainly more disgusting than
> anything I've ever found. Except for when I was roommates with a medical
> student. But I digress.
>
> I realized that I had 4 eggs in there bought for husband. They will
> likely not be good by the time he comes back. Angela said she would eat
> them, so I am boiling them for her.
>
> I then went through all the bottles and jars. Luckily I didn't find any
> duplicates. We are famous for that. Somebody thinks we are out of
> something like salad dressing so we buy and open a new one. But that
> wasn't the case today. In fact all of the salad dressing was still good.
>
> What I did find were some ancient olives (some from an olive bar and not
> in brine) and tons of pickles. Each one of us have gone through a pickle
> phase at some point where some kind of pickles looked very appealing at
> the store. So we bought them. And for the most part didn't eat them. At
> all. Found a jar of sugar free sweet pickles (Nalley brand) that expired
> some time in 2009. There is a jar of organic baby dills that seems to
> have no expiration date on it but I think it was bought fairly recently.
> That was the only jar I kept. The rest got tossed.
>
> Then there was the weird jar of pickled beets. They are from Sweet Creek
> Farms. They make organic and sugar free things. And by sugar free I mean
> free of any sweeteners whatever. I do like most of their stuff. But the
> beets? Just odd. They come in a jar. They don't taste quite like plain
> canned beets. But they are also lacking that vinegar tang of most pickled
> beets. They are edible. Just not super appealing. So out they went.
>
> Then there was the container of Rice Milk that sort of turned into Rice
> Cottage Cheese. Eek! And I did find that partially used container of
> Feta cheese that I just knew that I had. But do you think Angela or I
> could find it yesterday? No! I had bought more because it was on sale.
> So now I have two open packages of Feta. I would mix them but they are
> different brands.
>
> Now the bell is dinging for the eggs. Gotta go cool them. So what is the
> yuckiest thing in your fridge?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i verge on ocd where this is concerned, since i can't see and dh can't
>smell we cross check each other all the time, once you have had food
>posioning and a food sanatatin course you tend to be very dilligent, Lee

That's very true. My mom thinks I go overboard in terms of getting rid of
things that might be old. She thinks pull dates mean nothing. I've found
stuff in her fridge that is ancient. Thankfully she doesn't cook very
often. At least not for us.

I have one SIL who scares me. She had this huge tub of sour cream that was
way more than a year expired. She said, "What could go wrong with it? It's
already sour!" Her son helped with our move to Cape Cod and somehow after
we went to the grocery store, we left the carton of milk in the trunk of the
car overnight in the summer heat. He told me (got this from his mom) that I
should smell it and if it still smelled fine, we could use it. He couldn't
understand why I threw it out and bought another one.

Another time I pitched a fit at one of my in-law's houses. They had a party
that involved a catered lunch. The food was kept warm over those little
candle type thingies. But there was also cold food like salad, fruit and
deviled eggs that was not actually kept cold. This was on a very hot summer
day.

Dinner time rolled around and we were told to eat more of the food that had
been catered. I strongly believe that food should be tossed if left out for
over two hours. They don't. They don't think it matters and I have seen
some of them eat things that have sat out at room temp. all night. My
husband has eaten pizza that he ordered in a motel room and left out
unrefrigerated all night. The thought of it makes my skin crawl.

Anyway... I pitched a fit and demanded that we go out to eat. We had my
niece with us and Angela was probably about 4 or 5 years old. I wasn't
going to eat that stuff nor would I let them eat it.

That day is forever a black mark against me as far as the family is
concerned. They couldn't seem to understand why the food was not good
enough for me! Had they refrigerated the leftovers, then brought them back
out at dinner time and offered the use of the microwave, I would have had no
problem. But that isn't what happened.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> one of the things we had to inventory was the frig after the fire, what a
> horrible experience, not because most of the food had gone bad but because
> of the waste... it was pretty gruesome but what scared the crap outta me
> was that the more processed stuff like the activia yogurt seemed to not
> have spolied, mind you i didn't taste it but the fresh salsa had pooched
> up, the activia on the other hand was smooth and seemingly unscathed by
> spoliage, if there ever was something to make me strive even harder for
> non processed foods it was this experience, Lee

I was living in NY when we had that huge power outage that knocked out the
power for about a week. I had just done a massive stock up at the PX just
before the power went out. I'm talking two heaped shopping carts and enough
stuff to fill the freezer and fridge to crammed full. Thankfully I had
bought some precooked things that we ate for dinner that night. Would have
been better if I could have heated them of course but that was not an
option.

I had a lot of blue ice that was frozen so I had moved some of it to the
fridge. Some of the things were still cold for a day or two, so we ate what
we could, but most of it had to be thrown out. I do remember having some
sort of frozen dessert. Can't remember now if it was ice cream or bars or
what it was. But it didn't exactly melt. It was warm but sort of the same
texture. That was just freaky!

I can remember being sooo miserable while that power was out, mainly because
it was the heat of the summer and there was no way to cool off. The water
coming from the tap was warm as were all the drinks in the house. We did
eat a lot of drinks. I opened cans of green beans, kidney beans and black
olives. We also had some peanuts. But we ate little more than that, mostly
because the heat and the subsequent exhaustion seemed to zap our appetites.

Then when the power did come back on, they advised us to eat only canned
foods for a few weeks until all the stores could restock with safe foods.
The store closest to us was found guilty of selling spoiled food on more
than one occasion, and it appeared that they were trying to do it yet again.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

this is very situational for me, but i feel you must follow your instincts
on it, the cold things might have been ok if stored over a bed of ice and
covered, depending on the hot things having been covered and the heat of the
day maybe maybe not, but i have had food posioning that made me want to die,
and i don't intend to invite that ever again, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>i verge on ocd where this is concerned, since i can't see and dh can't
>>smell we cross check each other all the time, once you have had food
>>posioning and a food sanatatin course you tend to be very dilligent, Lee

> That's very true. My mom thinks I go overboard in terms of getting rid of
> things that might be old. She thinks pull dates mean nothing. I've found
> stuff in her fridge that is ancient. Thankfully she doesn't cook very
> often. At least not for us.
>
> I have one SIL who scares me. She had this huge tub of sour cream that
> was way more than a year expired. She said, "What could go wrong with it?
> It's already sour!" Her son helped with our move to Cape Cod and somehow
> after we went to the grocery store, we left the carton of milk in the
> trunk of the car overnight in the summer heat. He told me (got this from
> his mom) that I should smell it and if it still smelled fine, we could use
> it. He couldn't understand why I threw it out and bought another one.
>
> Another time I pitched a fit at one of my in-law's houses. They had a
> party that involved a catered lunch. The food was kept warm over those
> little candle type thingies. But there was also cold food like salad,
> fruit and deviled eggs that was not actually kept cold. This was on a
> very hot summer day.
>
> Dinner time rolled around and we were told to eat more of the food that
> had been catered. I strongly believe that food should be tossed if left
> out for over two hours. They don't. They don't think it matters and I
> have seen some of them eat things that have sat out at room temp. all
> night. My husband has eaten pizza that he ordered in a motel room and
> left out unrefrigerated all night. The thought of it makes my skin crawl.
>
> Anyway... I pitched a fit and demanded that we go out to eat. We had my
> niece with us and Angela was probably about 4 or 5 years old. I wasn't
> going to eat that stuff nor would I let them eat it.
>
> That day is forever a black mark against me as far as the family is
> concerned. They couldn't seem to understand why the food was not good
> enough for me! Had they refrigerated the leftovers, then brought them
> back out at dinner time and offered the use of the microwave, I would have
> had no problem. But that isn't what happened.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

totally creepy, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> one of the things we had to inventory was the frig after the fire, what a
>> horrible experience, not because most of the food had gone bad but
>> because of the waste... it was pretty gruesome but what scared the crap
>> outta me was that the more processed stuff like the activia yogurt seemed
>> to not have spolied, mind you i didn't taste it but the fresh salsa had
>> pooched up, the activia on the other hand was smooth and seemingly
>> unscathed by spoliage, if there ever was something to make me strive even
>> harder for non processed foods it was this experience, Lee

> I was living in NY when we had that huge power outage that knocked out the
> power for about a week. I had just done a massive stock up at the PX just
> before the power went out. I'm talking two heaped shopping carts and
> enough stuff to fill the freezer and fridge to crammed full. Thankfully I
> had bought some precooked things that we ate for dinner that night. Would
> have been better if I could have heated them of course but that was not an
> option.
>
> I had a lot of blue ice that was frozen so I had moved some of it to the
> fridge. Some of the things were still cold for a day or two, so we ate
> what we could, but most of it had to be thrown out. I do remember having
> some sort of frozen dessert. Can't remember now if it was ice cream or
> bars or what it was. But it didn't exactly melt. It was warm but sort of
> the same texture. That was just freaky!
>
> I can remember being sooo miserable while that power was out, mainly
> because it was the heat of the summer and there was no way to cool off.
> The water coming from the tap was warm as were all the drinks in the
> house. We did eat a lot of drinks. I opened cans of green beans, kidney
> beans and black olives. We also had some peanuts. But we ate little more
> than that, mostly because the heat and the subsequent exhaustion seemed to
> zap our appetites.
>
> Then when the power did come back on, they advised us to eat only canned
> foods for a few weeks until all the stores could restock with safe foods.
> The store closest to us was found guilty of selling spoiled food on more
> than one occasion, and it appeared that they were trying to do it yet
> again.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

we have decent coverage if we do the work of inventorying, horrid thing but
must be done, Lee
"M@©k®" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 05:04:45 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>one of the things we had to inventory was the frig after the fire, what a
>>horrible experience, not because most of the food had gone bad but because
>>of the waste... it was pretty gruesome but what scared the crap outta me
>>was
>>that the more processed stuff like the activia yogurt seemed to not have
>>spolied, mind you i didn't taste it but the fresh salsa had pooched up,
>>the
>>activia on the other hand was smooth and seemingly unscathed by spoliage,
>>if
>>there ever was something to make me strive even harder for non processed
>>foods it was this experience, Lee

> Since you had to inventory it, I assume you had some level of
> insurance to replace the food.
>
> Home Owners or Renters? One thing many people with Renters Insurance
> do not find out about until after the fire/flood etc, is that their
> premium is also used to cover the cost of removal/disposal of damaged
> personal goods. It's a good idea for people to increase their
> coverage to offset that cost.
>
> I came home the other day and went out on balcony to find the neighbor
> was using a charcoal grill on his covered balcony. I told him to put
> it, because it was a major fire hazard, illegal and a lease violation.
> He refused. I called the fire department, who sent out a fire
> marshal, who put out the grill, fined the neighbor and took the grill.
> I informed the landlord who warned the new renter one more infraction
> of the lease and he would be evicted.
>
> The neighbor apologized to me and swore never to do it again.
>
> The guy has had a strained relationship with the other tenets since
> they found out, all of whom have young children.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> this is very situational for me, but i feel you must follow your instincts
> on it, the cold things might have been ok if stored over a bed of ice and
> covered, depending on the hot things having been covered and the heat of
> the day maybe maybe not, but i have had food posioning that made me want
> to die, and i don't intend to invite that ever again, Lee

I had food poisoning as a teen. My parents got sick as well. My brother
did not. We all dined out and all had a salad but my brother. So we figured
it was from the salad.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/25/2010 1:53 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> this is very situational for me, but i feel you must follow your instincts
>> on it, the cold things might have been ok if stored over a bed of ice and
>> covered, depending on the hot things having been covered and the heat of
>> the day maybe maybe not, but i have had food posioning that made me want
>> to die, and i don't intend to invite that ever again, Lee

> I had food poisoning as a teen. My parents got sick as well. My brother
> did not. We all dined out and all had a salad but my brother. So we figured
> it was from the salad.

the WORST case of food poisoning i ever had came from an 'upscale' (read
top rated restaurant at the time)......... the cherry tomatoes were NOT
washed by the prep staff!

no further comment
(yes, the health inspector was called in over this as 85 of us at the
banquet arrived in ER in 72 hours)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 03:28:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>>i verge on ocd where this is concerned, since i can't see and dh can't
>>>smell we cross check each other all the time, once you have had food
>>>posioning and a food sanatatin course you tend to be very dilligent, Lee

>>That's very true. My mom thinks I go overboard in terms of getting rid of
>>things that might be old. She thinks pull dates mean nothing. I've found
>>stuff in her fridge that is ancient. Thankfully she doesn't cook very
>>often. At least not for us.
>>
>>I have one SIL who scares me. She had this huge tub of sour cream that
>>was
>>way more than a year expired. She said, "What could go wrong with it?
>>It's
>>already sour!" Her son helped with our move to Cape Cod and somehow after
>>we went to the grocery store, we left the carton of milk in the trunk of
>>the
>>car overnight in the summer heat. He told me (got this from his mom) that
>>should smell it and if it still smelled fine, we could use it. He
>>couldn't
>>understand why I threw it out and bought another one.
>>
>>Another time I pitched a fit at one of my in-law's houses. They had a
>>party
>>that involved a catered lunch. The food was kept warm over those little
>>candle type thingies. But there was also cold food like salad, fruit and
>>deviled eggs that was not actually kept cold. This was on a very hot
>>summer
>>day.
>>
>>Dinner time rolled around and we were told to eat more of the food that
>>had
>>been catered. I strongly believe that food should be tossed if left out
>>for
>>over two hours. They don't. They don't think it matters and I have seen
>>some of them eat things that have sat out at room temp. all night. My
>>husband has eaten pizza that he ordered in a motel room and left out
>>unrefrigerated all night. The thought of it makes my skin crawl.
>>
>>Anyway... I pitched a fit and demanded that we go out to eat. We had my
>>niece with us and Angela was probably about 4 or 5 years old. I wasn't
>>going to eat that stuff nor would I let them eat it.
>>
>>That day is forever a black mark against me as far as the family is
>>concerned. They couldn't seem to understand why the food was not good
>>enough for me! Had they refrigerated the leftovers, then brought them
>>back
>>out at dinner time and offered the use of the microwave, I would have had
>>no
>>problem. But that isn't what happened.

> How many got ill?

I don't know on this particular occasion. I do know of other times where
they did get sick after eating expired food and yet they claimed that the
food couldn't have had anything to do with it.

I have a couple of insulated bags that I keep in my van. Sometimes I even
bring a cooler with me. And of course some blue ice, in case I have to make
several stops and can't get my groceries home right away.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/25/2010 1:53 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> this is very situational for me, but i feel you must follow your
>>> instincts
>>> on it, the cold things might have been ok if stored over a bed of ice
>>> and
>>> covered, depending on the hot things having been covered and the heat of
>>> the day maybe maybe not, but i have had food posioning that made me want
>>> to die, and i don't intend to invite that ever again, Lee

>> I had food poisoning as a teen. My parents got sick as well. My brother
>> did not. We all dined out and all had a salad but my brother. So we
>> figured
>> it was from the salad.
>>

> the WORST case of food poisoning i ever had came from an 'upscale' (read
> top rated restaurant at the time)......... the cherry tomatoes were NOT
> washed by the prep staff!
>
> no further comment
> (yes, the health inspector was called in over this as 85 of us at the
> banquet arrived in ER in 72 hours)

Wow! My dad once got a call after eating at a restaurant here. I think the
threat was e-coli. How they knew that he ate there, I'm not sure. But it
was a big party from work. He didn't actually get sick but a lot did.

I ate at that restaurant once and saw what appeared to be something floating
in my soda. Turns out it was shredded cheese, frozen into an ice cube.

That place is not there any more.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Julie, i have an 'in-law' (not really but that's more than enough info)
>
> this lady served the SAME potato salad for a WEEK at a time (yes, with
> mayo in it)
>
> my brother started to throw out the potato salad my SIL made at the 72
> hour mark (refrigerated ! !) and she was most confused....... he detailed
> why
>
> i shudder at 'picnics' and 'outdoor buffets' and, if you have ever had a
> serious case of food poisoning, you NEVER want to repeat that!

This is the same sort of thing some of these people do. I was once offered
leftover Chinese food that had been gotten a week prior.

The combination fridge/freezer broke and everything was thawing out and
melting in the middle of the night. I discovered this around midnight.

So what did they do? Invited everyone over for a BBQ the following day at
dinner time. They had brought in a spare small fridge by then which I had
carefully stocked with a few things from the grocery store. I put those
things out come dinner time and ate only those things.

MIL lived for I don't know how long with a bad fridge. We used to go there
every three weeks to care for her over the weekend. I always brought enough
food with me to get me through the night and for breakfast the next morning.
I then noticed when I got up that the cans of soda I had put in there were
just barely cool. SIL had given me a souvenir thermometer. I stuck that in
there. It registered 50 degrees. Now it could be that the fridge just then
went out. But from what her caregivers told me, it had been acting up for
some time. They were worried about feeding her food from it because of her
lowered immune system. I put my foot down and she got a new fridge that
very day. Luckily there wasn't much in it. They had been mainly feeding
her canned foods because they were so worried about it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/25/2010 11:44 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Tiger > wrote in message
>> Julie, i have an 'in-law' (not really but that's more than enough info)
>>
>> this lady served the SAME potato salad for a WEEK at a time (yes, with
>> mayo in it)
>>
>> my brother started to throw out the potato salad my SIL made at the 72
>> hour mark (refrigerated ! !) and she was most confused....... he detailed
>> why
>>
>> i shudder at 'picnics' and 'outdoor buffets' and, if you have ever had a
>> serious case of food poisoning, you NEVER want to repeat that!

> This is the same sort of thing some of these people do. I was once offered
> leftover Chinese food that had been gotten a week prior.
>
> The combination fridge/freezer broke and everything was thawing out and
> melting in the middle of the night. I discovered this around midnight.
>
> So what did they do? Invited everyone over for a BBQ the following day at
> dinner time. They had brought in a spare small fridge by then which I had
> carefully stocked with a few things from the grocery store. I put those
> things out come dinner time and ate only those things.
>
> MIL lived for I don't know how long with a bad fridge. We used to go there
> every three weeks to care for her over the weekend. I always brought enough
> food with me to get me through the night and for breakfast the next morning.
> I then noticed when I got up that the cans of soda I had put in there were
> just barely cool. SIL had given me a souvenir thermometer. I stuck that in
> there. It registered 50 degrees. Now it could be that the fridge just then
> went out. But from what her caregivers told me, it had been acting up for
> some time. They were worried about feeding her food from it because of her
> lowered immune system. I put my foot down and she got a new fridge that
> very day. Luckily there wasn't much in it. They had been mainly feeding
> her canned foods because they were so worried about it.

42F

end of story........

i have a fridge thermometer to ensure my insulin is kept at the right temp

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/25/2010 11:44 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Tiger > wrote in message
>>> Julie, i have an 'in-law' (not really but that's more than enough info)
>>>
>>> this lady served the SAME potato salad for a WEEK at a time (yes, with
>>> mayo in it)
>>>
>>> my brother started to throw out the potato salad my SIL made at the 72
>>> hour mark (refrigerated ! !) and she was most confused....... he
>>> detailed
>>> why
>>>
>>> i shudder at 'picnics' and 'outdoor buffets' and, if you have ever had a
>>> serious case of food poisoning, you NEVER want to repeat that!

>> This is the same sort of thing some of these people do. I was once
>> offered
>> leftover Chinese food that had been gotten a week prior.
>>
>> The combination fridge/freezer broke and everything was thawing out and
>> melting in the middle of the night. I discovered this around midnight.
>>
>> So what did they do? Invited everyone over for a BBQ the following day
>> at
>> dinner time. They had brought in a spare small fridge by then which I
>> had
>> carefully stocked with a few things from the grocery store. I put those
>> things out come dinner time and ate only those things.
>>
>> MIL lived for I don't know how long with a bad fridge. We used to go
>> there
>> every three weeks to care for her over the weekend. I always brought
>> enough
>> food with me to get me through the night and for breakfast the next
>> morning.
>> I then noticed when I got up that the cans of soda I had put in there
>> were
>> just barely cool. SIL had given me a souvenir thermometer. I stuck that
>> in
>> there. It registered 50 degrees. Now it could be that the fridge just
>> then
>> went out. But from what her caregivers told me, it had been acting up
>> for
>> some time. They were worried about feeding her food from it because of
>> her
>> lowered immune system. I put my foot down and she got a new fridge that
>> very day. Luckily there wasn't much in it. They had been mainly feeding
>> her canned foods because they were so worried about it.
>>

> 42F
>
> end of story........
>
> i have a fridge thermometer to ensure my insulin is kept at the right temp

Me too.