jmcquown

Default Cleaned the grill

.... now I'm filthy! Had some charcoal ash to remove pretty much with a
small hand spade and then cleaned the grill rack.

Here's a question: anyone else ever use this spray-on 'Dawn' Power Dissolver
stuff? I spritzed some on the grill rack, let it sit a bit then used the
wire grill brush on the rack but it took no effort at all! Rinsed it off
and voila! Nice and sparkling clean.

*I*, on the other hand, am not sparking clean. I have ashes all over my
tattered "cleaning the grill" sweats and t-shirt. Time to take a shower
Later I can concentrate on grilling the bratwurst and the squash.

Jill

BOB

jmcquown wrote:
> ... now I'm filthy! Had some charcoal ash to remove pretty much with a
> small hand spade and then cleaned the grill rack.
>
> Here's a question: anyone else ever use this spray-on 'Dawn' Power Dissolver
> stuff? I spritzed some on the grill rack, let it sit a bit then used the
> wire grill brush on the rack but it took no effort at all! Rinsed it off
> and voila! Nice and sparkling clean.
>
> *I*, on the other hand, am not sparking clean. I have ashes all over my
> tattered "cleaning the grill" sweats and t-shirt. Time to take a shower
> Later I can concentrate on grilling the bratwurst and the squash.
>
> Jill

You chemically cleaned your grill? Did you also put your Grandmother's cast
iron frying pan in the dishwasher? Use a soapy Brillo pad on your Wok?

BOB Curious

Curly Sue

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 13:26:15 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> ... now I'm filthy! Had some charcoal ash to remove pretty much with a
>> small hand spade and then cleaned the grill rack.
>>
>> Here's a question: anyone else ever use this spray-on 'Dawn' Power Dissolver
>> stuff? I spritzed some on the grill rack, let it sit a bit then used the
>> wire grill brush on the rack but it took no effort at all! Rinsed it off
>> and voila! Nice and sparkling clean.
>>
>> *I*, on the other hand, am not sparking clean. I have ashes all over my
>> tattered "cleaning the grill" sweats and t-shirt. Time to take a shower
>> Later I can concentrate on grilling the bratwurst and the squash.
>>
>> Jill

>You chemically cleaned your grill? Did you also put your Grandmother's cast
>iron frying pan in the dishwasher? Use a soapy Brillo pad on your Wok?
>
>BOB Curious

That's nothing. I chemically-clean my dishes on a routine basis in
the dishwasher with Cascade! :>

So what is the approved way to clean that altar of meat, the grill?
I've just been brushing mine but probably should do something else.

Sue(tm)
BOB

Curly Sue wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 13:26:15 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> ... now I'm filthy! Had some charcoal ash to remove pretty much with a
>>> small hand spade and then cleaned the grill rack.
>>>
>>> Here's a question: anyone else ever use this spray-on 'Dawn' Power Dissolver
>>> stuff? I spritzed some on the grill rack, let it sit a bit then used the
>>> wire grill brush on the rack but it took no effort at all! Rinsed it off
>>> and voila! Nice and sparkling clean.
>>>
>>> *I*, on the other hand, am not sparking clean. I have ashes all over my
>>> tattered "cleaning the grill" sweats and t-shirt. Time to take a shower
>>> Later I can concentrate on grilling the bratwurst and the squash.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> You chemically cleaned your grill? Did you also put your Grandmother's cast
>> iron frying pan in the dishwasher? Use a soapy Brillo pad on your Wok?
>>
>> BOB Curious

> That's nothing. I chemically-clean my dishes on a routine basis in
> the dishwasher with Cascade! :>

Those aren't seasoned (I hope) like cast iron or a wok.

> So what is the approved way to clean that altar of meat, the grill?
> I've just been brushing mine but probably should do something else.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Sounds likr you are cleaning yours the right way. Sort of like cleaning a
seasoned cast iron skillet or the wok.

BOB

sf

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:17:49 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> ... now I'm filthy! Had some charcoal ash to remove pretty much with a
> small hand spade and then cleaned the grill rack.

Get a model with openings in the bottom that you can release
the ash through. It makes life a lot easier.

> Here's a question: anyone else ever use this spray-on 'Dawn' Power Dissolver
> stuff? I spritzed some on the grill rack, let it sit a bit then used the
> wire grill brush on the rack but it took no effort at all! Rinsed it off
> and voila! Nice and sparkling clean.
>
> *I*, on the other hand, am not sparking clean. I have ashes all over my
> tattered "cleaning the grill" sweats and t-shirt. Time to take a shower
> Later I can concentrate on grilling the bratwurst and the squash.

Heh! That's why I let the flames do all the work. They
char everything and I wire brush while hot. Done - w/o even
removing the grill. I don't want my grill "sparkling
clean", I prefer it seasoned.

Mark Thorson

Lucky wrote:

> I take the ash out from time to time, when it mounts up, but otherwise
> I just pass a wire brush over the racks if they have bits adhered to
> it. I find if they are black and thick (like a well seasoned cast
> iron pan) nothing sticks to them. Most times I just let them burn off
> a bit while coming up to temp.

Exactly! That's how I do it. While the coals heat up,
I burn off any greasy residue from the previous use.
Frequent use will result in a hard dark coat with
non-stick properties. This also sterilizes it, so I
don't have to think twice about any ants that
walked across it or possums that licked it since
I last used it.

I have another method, which completely eliminates
any need to clean the barbeque. It only works with
the rectangular Weber barbeque, which is why I
bought one. I alternate which end I use to hold
the hot charcoal. This burns off any fat that dripped
off the meat during the last use. In fact, if there's
enough fat, you only need enough charcoal starter
to ignite the fat, and the fat will ignite the charcoal.

> If they bothered me I might consider putting them
> in the self cleaning oven at cleaning time.
>
> Sheena

The keyword in that sentence being "If".
They don't bother me either. We're not
neat-freaks like Jill. Excessive neatness
can be a symptom of an underlying
problem, which is being expressed as a
need to control something in her life.
In that way, it is similar to anorexia,
but not life-threatening and therefore
less likely to receive psychiatric treatment.

jmcquown

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Lucky wrote:
>

>> I take the ash out from time to time, when it mounts up, but
>> otherwise I just pass a wire brush over the racks if they have bits
>> adhered to it. I find if they are black and thick (like a well
>> seasoned cast iron pan) nothing sticks to them. Most times I just
>> let them burn off a bit while coming up to temp.

> Exactly! That's how I do it. While the coals heat up,
> I burn off any greasy residue from the previous use.
> Frequent use will result in a hard dark coat with
> non-stick properties. This also sterilizes it, so I
> don't have to think twice about any ants that
> walked across it or possums that licked it since
> I last used it.
>
> I have another method, which completely eliminates
> any need to clean the barbeque. It only works with
> the rectangular Weber barbeque, which is why I
> bought one. I alternate which end I use to hold
> the hot charcoal. This burns off any fat that dripped
> off the meat during the last use. In fact, if there's
> enough fat, you only need enough charcoal starter
> to ignite the fat, and the fat will ignite the charcoal.
>
>> If they bothered me I might consider putting them
>> in the self cleaning oven at cleaning time.
>>
>> Sheena

> The keyword in that sentence being "If".
> They don't bother me either. We're not
> neat-freaks like Jill. Excessive neatness
> can be a symptom of an underlying
> problem, which is being expressed as a
> need to control something in her life.
> In that way, it is similar to anorexia,
> but not life-threatening and therefore
> less likely to receive psychiatric treatment.

hahabogus

Lucretia Borgia > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:17:49 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>... now I'm filthy! Had some charcoal ash to remove pretty much with
>>a small hand spade and then cleaned the grill rack.
>>
>>Here's a question: anyone else ever use this spray-on 'Dawn' Power
>>Dissolver stuff? I spritzed some on the grill rack, let it sit a bit
>>then used the wire grill brush on the rack but it took no effort at
>>all! Rinsed it off and voila! Nice and sparkling clean.
>>
>>*I*, on the other hand, am not sparking clean. I have ashes all over
>>my tattered "cleaning the grill" sweats and t-shirt. Time to take a
>>shower Later I can concentrate on grilling the bratwurst and the
>>squash.
>>
>>Jill
>>

> I take the ash out from time to time, when it mounts up, but otherwise
> I just pass a wire brush over the racks if they have bits adhered to
> it. I find if they are black and thick (like a well seasoned cast
> iron pan) nothing sticks to them. Most times I just let them burn off
> a bit while coming up to temp.
>
> If they bothered me I might consider putting them in the self cleaning
> oven at cleaning time.
>
> Sheena

I find with both charcoal and gas that well covering the grill will heavy
foil just after cooking allows the grills to self clean somewhat like a
self cleaning oven. You need only (leave the gas on hi incase of a gas
grill) come back 20 minutes later and lightly brush off the ash.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
jmcquown

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Lucky wrote:
>> I take the ash out from time to time, when it mounts up, but
>> otherwise I just pass a wire brush over the racks if they have bits
>> adhered to it.

> Exactly! That's how I do it. While the coals heat up,
> I burn off any greasy residue from the previous use.
> Frequent use will result in a hard dark coat with
> non-stick properties. This also sterilizes it, so I
> don't have to think twice about any ants that
> walked across it or possums that licked it since
> I last used it.
>
>> Sheena

> The keyword in that sentence being "If".
> They don't bother me either. We're not
> neat-freaks like Jill.

Ahem. You know *nothing* about me. If you saw my kitchen you would never
accuse me of being a "neat freak", trust me. In fact, I cleaned the grill
only because after a year of built up ash and grime on the grill rack it was
starting to seem a little like a health hazard.

I have no problem whatsoever with cooking over wood fires whilst camping and
the wood often has little "critters" crawling in it before I set it ablaze.
If I were so "neat" or compulsive, don't you think that would bother me just
a tad?

Jill

Mark Thorson

jmcquown wrote:

> Ahem. You know *nothing* about me. If you saw my kitchen you would never
> accuse me of being a "neat freak", trust me. In fact, I cleaned the grill
> only because after a year of built up ash and grime on the grill rack it was
> starting to seem a little like a health hazard.

Only a year? In my experience, it's still building up flavor after a year.

> I have no problem whatsoever with cooking over wood fires whilst
> camping and the wood often has little "critters" crawling in it before
> I set it ablaze. If I were so "neat" or compulsive, don't you think
> that would bother me just a tad?
>
> Jill

Well, now that you ask, a neatness compulsion could be
limited to a specific area such as the home, without also
being manifested in the outdoors or at other people's
homes. Especially if someone is trying to hide and/or
deny her compulsive behavior. At some level she might
be aware she isn't behaving normally, but not at such a
conscious level that she seeks psychiatric treatment.

jmcquown

Curly Sue wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 13:26:15 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> ... now I'm filthy! Had some charcoal ash to remove pretty much
>>> with a small hand spade and then cleaned the grill rack.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> You chemically cleaned your grill? Did you also put your
>> Grandmother's cast iron frying pan in the dishwasher? Use a soapy
>> Brillo pad on your Wok?
>>
>> BOB Curious

> That's nothing. I chemically-clean my dishes on a routine basis in
> the dishwasher with Cascade! :>
>
> So what is the approved way to clean that altar of meat, the grill?
> I've just been brushing mine but probably should do something else.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Heh, I even use "soap powder" and a washing machine to clean my clothes; I
don't beat them on rocks down at the creek.

I find it terribly funny to think it's practically a crime to clean a grill.
It hadn't been cleaned in a year (or so); I figured it was probably due.

No, I don't wash my cast iron in soap and water. I don't consider a cheap
Weber grill rack on the same par with a well seasoned cast iron pan. And I
don't own a wok

Now, Mark Thorson has accused me of being a neat freak. I would like to
invite Mark to my house so he can assess that for himself. However, the
place is so NOT neat I'd be embarrassed to follow through with such an
invite.

I did, at the behest and gentle chiding of my sister (Nancy Young) recycle
about 2 years worth of piled up magazines and catalogs recently. Me, a
clean freak? Not on your life!

Jill (who now has brats on the grill and some of the squash all sliced and
ready to be brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with S&P)

hahabogus

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Curly Sue wrote:

>>> You chemically cleaned your grill? Did you also put your
>>> Grandmother's cast iron frying pan in the dishwasher? Use a soapy
>>> Brillo pad on your Wok?
>>>
>>> BOB Curious

>> That's nothing. I chemically-clean my dishes on a routine basis in
>> the dishwasher with Cascade! :>
>>
>> So what is the approved way to clean that altar of meat, the grill?
>> I've just been brushing mine but probably should do something else.
>>
>> Sue(tm)
>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> Heh, I even use "soap powder" and a washing machine to clean my
> clothes; I don't beat them on rocks down at the creek.
>
> I find it terribly funny to think it's practically a crime to clean a
> grill. It hadn't been cleaned in a year (or so); I figured it was
> probably due.
>
> No, I don't wash my cast iron in soap and water. I don't consider a
> cheap Weber grill rack on the same par with a well seasoned cast iron
> pan. And I don't own a wok
>
> Now, Mark Thorson has accused me of being a neat freak. I would like
> to invite Mark to my house so he can assess that for himself.
> However, the place is so NOT neat I'd be embarrassed to follow through
> with such an invite.
>
> I did, at the behest and gentle chiding of my sister (Nancy Young)
> recycle about 2 years worth of piled up magazines and catalogs
> recently. Me, a clean freak? Not on your life!
>
> Jill (who now has brats on the grill and some of the squash all sliced
> and ready to be brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with S&P)

Just plonk mark...it works great!

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
BOB

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:17:49 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> ... now I'm filthy! Had some charcoal ash to remove pretty much with a
>> small hand spade and then cleaned the grill rack.

> Get a model with openings in the bottom that you can release
> the ash through. It makes life a lot easier.
>>
>> Here's a question: anyone else ever use this spray-on 'Dawn' Power Dissolver
>> stuff? I spritzed some on the grill rack, let it sit a bit then used the
>> wire grill brush on the rack but it took no effort at all! Rinsed it off
>> and voila! Nice and sparkling clean.
>>
>> *I*, on the other hand, am not sparking clean. I have ashes all over my
>> tattered "cleaning the grill" sweats and t-shirt. Time to take a shower
>> Later I can concentrate on grilling the bratwurst and the squash.
>>

> Heh! That's why I let the flames do all the work. They
> char everything and I wire brush while hot. Done - w/o even
> removing the grill. I don't want my grill "sparkling
> clean", I prefer it seasoned.

That's exactly the point I was making, which people missed. The *SEASONING* on
the grill shouldn't be cleaned any more than the *SEASONING* on cast iron or a
wok. But I guess if it's cheap (so were some of my Cast Iron), it doesn't
matter?

BOB

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

BOB

jmcquown wrote:
> Curly Sue wrote:

>>> You chemically cleaned your grill? Did you also put your
>>> Grandmother's cast iron frying pan in the dishwasher? Use a soapy
>>> Brillo pad on your Wok?
>>>
>>> BOB Curious

>> That's nothing. I chemically-clean my dishes on a routine basis in
>> the dishwasher with Cascade! :>
>>
>> So what is the approved way to clean that altar of meat, the grill?
>> I've just been brushing mine but probably should do something else.
>>
>> Sue(tm)
>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> Heh, I even use "soap powder" and a washing machine to clean my clothes; I
> don't beat them on rocks down at the creek.
>
> I find it terribly funny to think it's practically a crime to clean a grill.
> It hadn't been cleaned in a year (or so); I figured it was probably due.
>
> No, I don't wash my cast iron in soap and water. I don't consider a cheap
> Weber grill rack on the same par with a well seasoned cast iron pan. And I
> don't own a wok

So it's the price that determines whether or not to claen off the seasoning?
Damn! Should I scrub the C I Dutch oven I bought for $5 or put it in the
dishwasher? Seasong metal (even the cheap grill) makes it more non-stick.

BOB

sf

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 18:23:32 -0400, " BOB" >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > Heh! That's why I let the flames do all the work. They
> > char everything and I wire brush while hot. Done - w/o even
> > removing the grill. I don't want my grill "sparkling
> > clean", I prefer it seasoned.

> That's exactly the point I was making, which people missed. The *SEASONING* on
> the grill shouldn't be cleaned any more than the *SEASONING* on cast iron or a
> wok. But I guess if it's cheap (so were some of my Cast Iron), it doesn't
> matter?
>
> BOB

I'm with you all the way, Bob. Whatever you say, I'll
second.

sf
Who thinks "Who needs Lodge when a no-name from the hardware
store lasts for generations?"

sf

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 15:22:42 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> my sister (Nancy Young)

?????

Michael

SO, that's what I've been doing and it works great. I am, however,
building up a layer of black char on the bottom of my gas grill from
drippings and parts of rubs falling off the grilled food. What's the
best recommendation for cleaning this part of the grill? Or should I
just leave it?

Michael
http://cooking4engineers.blogspot.com

Donna Rose > wrote in message nk.net>...
> In article >, lid
> says...
> > I find with both charcoal and gas that well covering the grill will heavy
> > foil just after cooking allows the grills to self clean somewhat like a
> > self cleaning oven. You need only (leave the gas on hi incase of a gas
> > grill) come back 20 minutes later and lightly brush off the ash.
> >

> I used to do that, but I stopped wasting the propane when I realized that
> the next time I used the grill, I had to pre-heat it anyway. After it
> preheats, I use a steel brush and it's usually clean (or clean enough,
> anyway).

JimLane

Michael wrote:
> SO, that's what I've been doing and it works great. I am, however,
> building up a layer of black char on the bottom of my gas grill from
> drippings and parts of rubs falling off the grilled food. What's the
> best recommendation for cleaning this part of the grill? Or should I
> just leave it?

Unless it interferes with the flame, leave it.

jim
sf

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 02:23:18 GMT, "t gilb"
> wrote:

> Do him, and yourself a favor:
> http://www.colehardware.com/hotline/97/06/safeFire.htm

My grandmother demonstrated that idea to housewives in the
'50s.... if you've got a coffee can or some other huge can
on hand - you won't need the commercial product.