Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Thai Style Beef Curry

An older recipe from Mochanicole:

Thai Style Beef Curry-serves 6 (3 grams carb per serving)

2 TBS peanut or olive oil
3 TBS Thai red curry paste
2 1/2 cups canned coconut milk
2 1/2 lbs beef chuck cut into 1 inch cubes

Warm the oil in a dutch oven or large skillet over low heat. Add curry paste
and let cook, still on low heat for about 5 minutes, then add coconut milk.

Stir the mixture and let it cook for about 3 minutes. Add beef and bring
mixture to a boil.
Cover and lower heat to a gentle simmer, cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until
the meat is soft.
Once the meat is done, cook uncoverd for 10 more minutes or until the sauce
thickens. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

Serve over a bed of buttered spinach.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

4 ingredients, just my style!

This pair have made a carrer out of 4 ingredients Books, videos, tv
shows etc:
http://www.4ingredients.com.au/

In the recipe below I would definitely use the peanut oil.

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> An older recipe from Mochanicole:
>
> Thai Style Beef Curry-serves 6 (3 grams carb per serving)
>
> 2 TBS peanut or olive oil
> 3 TBS Thai red curry paste
> 2 1/2 cups canned coconut milk
> 2 1/2 lbs beef chuck cut into 1 inch cubes
>
> Warm the oil in a dutch oven or large skillet over low heat. Add curry
> paste and let cook, still on low heat for about 5 minutes, then add
> coconut milk.
>
> Stir the mixture and let it cook for about 3 minutes. Add beef and
> bring mixture to a boil.
> Cover and lower heat to a gentle simmer, cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or
> until the meat is soft.
> Once the meat is done, cook uncoverd for 10 more minutes or until the
> sauce thickens. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to
> taste.
>
> Serve over a bed of buttered spinach.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>4 ingredients, just my style!
>
> This pair have made a carrer out of 4 ingredients Books, videos, tv
> shows etc:
> http://www.4ingredients.com.au/
>
> In the recipe below I would definitely use the peanut oil.
>
> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> An older recipe from Mochanicole:
>>
>> Thai Style Beef Curry-serves 6 (3 grams carb per serving)
>>
>> 2 TBS peanut or olive oil
>> 3 TBS Thai red curry paste
>> 2 1/2 cups canned coconut milk
>> 2 1/2 lbs beef chuck cut into 1 inch cubes
>>
>> Warm the oil in a dutch oven or large skillet over low heat. Add curry
>> paste and let cook, still on low heat for about 5 minutes, then add
>> coconut milk.
>>
>> Stir the mixture and let it cook for about 3 minutes. Add beef and bring
>> mixture to a boil.
>> Cover and lower heat to a gentle simmer, cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or
>> until the meat is soft.
>> Once the meat is done, cook uncoverd for 10 more minutes or until the
>> sauce thickens. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
>>
>> Serve over a bed of buttered spinach.

I would too. I'm making this tomorrow. Easy. Four ingredients will work for
me. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>4 ingredients, just my style!
>>
>> This pair have made a carrer out of 4 ingredients Books, videos,
>> tv shows etc:
>> http://www.4ingredients.com.au/
>>
>> In the recipe below I would definitely use the peanut oil.
>>
>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>>> An older recipe from Mochanicole:
>>>
>>> Thai Style Beef Curry-serves 6 (3 grams carb per serving)
>>>
>>> 2 TBS peanut or olive oil
>>> 3 TBS Thai red curry paste
>>> 2 1/2 cups canned coconut milk
>>> 2 1/2 lbs beef chuck cut into 1 inch cubes
>>>
>>> Warm the oil in a dutch oven or large skillet over low heat. Add
>>> curry paste and let cook, still on low heat for about 5 minutes,
>>> then add coconut milk.
>>>
>>> Stir the mixture and let it cook for about 3 minutes. Add beef and
>>> bring mixture to a boil.
>>> Cover and lower heat to a gentle simmer, cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours
>>> or until the meat is soft.
>>> Once the meat is done, cook uncoverd for 10 more minutes or until
>>> the sauce thickens. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper
>>> to taste.
>>>
>>> Serve over a bed of buttered spinach.

> I would too. I'm making this tomorrow. Easy. Four ingredients will
> work for me. :-)

Are you doing it over spinach?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>>4 ingredients, just my style!
>>>
>>> This pair have made a carrer out of 4 ingredients Books, videos, tv
>>> shows etc:
>>> http://www.4ingredients.com.au/

>> I would too. I'm making this tomorrow. Easy. Four ingredients will work
>> for me. :-)

> Are you doing it over spinach?

I'm not sure about that. I've been trying to think of something that I want
to put it over. I do like spinach, but I think there must be something that
is perfect. Suggestions? :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> I would too. I'm making this tomorrow. Easy. Four ingredients will
>>> work for me. :-)

>> Are you doing it over spinach?

> I'm not sure about that. I've been trying to think of something that I
> want to put it over. I do like spinach, but I think there must be
> something that is perfect. Suggestions? :-)
>
> Cheri

Not really, I have my veggies on the side when I have stews/casseroles
etc. If I was having it today I have in the fridge - cauli, broccolini,
zuchinis, carrots, sweet potato, baby squash, beans, celery (which I
would cook for this)... so any combo of that and I'd be happy

Also I would do some cucumber raita with mint.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:35:49 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>
>>4 ingredients, just my style!
>>
>>This pair have made a carrer out of 4 ingredients Books, videos, tv
>>shows etc:
>>http://www.4ingredients.com.au/
>>
>>In the recipe below I would definitely use the peanut oil.

> Nit-picking slightly; check out the number of ingredients in an
> authentic Thai curry paste

Lol, I'd be happy if almost all the ingredients were in one jar I
hate doing a pinch of this, a teaspoon of that etc that is so common in
Asian recipes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 20:29:42 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:35:49 +1000, "Ozgirl"

>>> Nit-picking slightly; check out the number of ingredients in an
>>> authentic Thai curry paste

>> Lol, I'd be happy if almost all the ingredients were in one jar I
>> hate doing a pinch of this, a teaspoon of that etc that is so common
>> in Asian recipes.
>>

> I'm often lazy and use commercial curry powders, but I make my own
> pastes. I must admit I don't do it often enough. The picture here is
> the smallest of my spice racks; it's the "regular use" rack on the
> kitchen bench, the others are in the pantry:

I make my own red curry paste in fairly big batches and freeze it. I use a
Madhur Jaffrey recipe which is particularly aromatic.

BTW, if you have it, use fish saice instead of salt. You might want to
consider some fresh lime juice and a chiffonade of basil and/or mint while
you're at it. And of course a little palm or brown sugar, if your taste buds
need it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>
> >4 ingredients, just my style!
> >
> >This pair have made a carrer out of 4 ingredients Books, videos, tv
> >shows etc:
> >http://www.4ingredients.com.au/
> >
> >In the recipe below I would definitely use the peanut oil.

> Nit-picking slightly; check out the number of ingredients in an
> authentic Thai curry paste

This is an easy one:

Roasted Red Curry (Nam Prik Pao)

This is the authentic, traditional recipe. Reduce the amount of shrimp
paste if you want, but don't eliminate it. A very strong odor will develop
when you're frying the dried shrimp and shrimp paste, so either prepare it
when no guests are around or on an outdoor BBQ, in which case, put the wok
directly on the red-hot coals. It will keep up to six months in the
'fridge. The oil will rise to the top, so stir before using. Spread thinly
on toast, serve as a cocktail snack, side dish or dip.

Ingredients (makes 3 cups):

3 oz. wet tamarind or tamarind extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar or Splenda
1/4 cup warm water

1/4 lb. dried Thai, New Mexico, California or hotter chiles
1 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup finely chopped garlic

1 cup finely chopped yellow onion

1-1/4 cups dried shrimp
1/4 cup shrimp paste

Procedu

1. Soak the wet tamarind in 3/4 cup warm water for 15 minutes, then press
through a sieve, getting all the pulp you can, including the water. Scrape
the outside of the sieve to get all the pulp. (skip this if using the
concentrate)

2. Place the tamarind solution and sugar in a saucepan, adding 3/4 cup warm
water if you use the concentrate). Bring to a boil and immediately remove
from heat. Let cool to room temp.

3. Remove the stems and seeds from the chiles and tear into pieces no
larger than 1" square. Heat a wok, add 1/2 cup oil and swirl over surface.
Stir fry the chiles over moderate heat until they are deep red and lightly
fragrant, but don't let them burn. Remove the chiles, but not the oil, from
the wok and set them aside in a bowl.

4. Add 2 more Tbs oil to the wok and stir fry the garlic 'til lightly
golden. Remove garlic, but not oil, and add it to the chiles.

5. Add another 2 Tbs oil to the wok and stir fry the onion 'til it's light
golden. Again, remove and add to chiles and garlic.

6. Add 1/4 cup more oil to the wok, add the dried shrimp and cook for about
1 minute, then add the shrimp paste and stir fry 'til the color is uniform
and the strong odor has subsided, 1 or 2 minutes. Add all the wok contents,
including the oil, to the previously fried ingredients and allow to come to
room temp.

7. Place the fried ingredients, oil and tamarind mixture in a food
processor or blender and grind to a smooth paste, adding more oil if it
seems dry. Store in closed jar.

I have two or three other Thai Red Curries, plus lots of Jun's other ones.
So many curries, so little time!

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ http://anymarine.com/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:35:49 +1000, "Ozgirl"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>4 ingredients, just my style!
>>>
>>>This pair have made a carrer out of 4 ingredients Books, videos, tv
>>>shows etc:
>>>http://www.4ingredients.com.au/
>>>
>>>In the recipe below I would definitely use the peanut oil.

>> Nit-picking slightly; check out the number of ingredients in an
>> authentic Thai curry paste

> Lol, I'd be happy if almost all the ingredients were in one jar I hate
> doing a pinch of this, a teaspoon of that etc that is so common in Asian
> recipes.

Yeah. Although I do the some of this and some of that at times, most of the
time I use either steak seasoning, 7 seasoning, Italian seasoning, Greek
seasoning or Mexican seasoning. Those seem to work for most things. I do
have to be careful what Italian seasoning I buy though. The stuff they sell
at Costco has a nasty, musty taste and smell to it and some of the cheaper
ones have a lot of garlic. Garlic and I don't get along very well.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10 Sep 2010 23:51:29 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>I have two or three other Thai Red Curries, plus lots of Jun's other ones.
>So many curries, so little time!

Cheers, Nick - looks gorgeous, saved. I'm hoping to be going past a
shop that sells dried shrimp next weekend, so I'll try it then, with
luck.

Nicky.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> Are you doing it over spinach?

>> I'm not sure about that. I've been trying to think of something that I
>> want to put it over. I do like spinach, but I think there must be
>> something that is perfect. Suggestions? :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> Not really, I have my veggies on the side when I have stews/casseroles
> etc. If I was having it today I have in the fridge - cauli, broccolini,
> zuchinis, carrots, sweet potato, baby squash, beans, celery (which I would
> cook for this)... so any combo of that and I'd be happy
>
> Also I would do some cucumber raita with mint.

I made it yesterday, and have to say...I was fairly unimpressed. It mostly
tasted like pot roast with gravy to me. I was expecting something with a
kick, a taste of coconut etc. I won't make it again, but that's just me
maybe. It was good over the spinach, but not what I envisioned. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 08:21:45 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> I'm not sure about that. I've been trying to think of something that I
>>> want to put it over. I do like spinach, but I think there must be
>>> something that is perfect. Suggestions? :-)
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Not really, I have my veggies on the side when I have stews/casseroles
>> etc. If I was having it today I have in the fridge - cauli, broccolini,
>> zuchinis, carrots, sweet potato, baby squash, beans, celery (which I would
>> cook for this)... so any combo of that and I'd be happy
>>
>> Also I would do some cucumber raita with mint.

>I made it yesterday, and have to say...I was fairly unimpressed. It mostly
>tasted like pot roast with gravy to me. I was expecting something with a
>kick, a taste of coconut etc. I won't make it again, but that's just me
>maybe. It was good over the spinach, but not what I envisioned. :-)
>
>Cheri

Wow. 3Tbs of the Thai red curry paste I use would have me perspiring
gently and NEEDING the raita... did you get a chilli-free one, or do
you have tastebuds of steel? :P

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 08:21:45 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> Not really, I have my veggies on the side when I have stews/casseroles
>>> etc. If I was having it today I have in the fridge - cauli, broccolini,
>>> zuchinis, carrots, sweet potato, baby squash, beans, celery (which I
>>> would
>>> cook for this)... so any combo of that and I'd be happy
>>>
>>> Also I would do some cucumber raita with mint.

>>I made it yesterday, and have to say...I was fairly unimpressed. It mostly
>>tasted like pot roast with gravy to me. I was expecting something with a
>>kick, a taste of coconut etc. I won't make it again, but that's just me
>>maybe. It was good over the spinach, but not what I envisioned. :-)
>>
>>Cheri

> Wow. 3Tbs of the Thai red curry paste I use would have me perspiring
> gently and NEEDING the raita... did you get a chilli-free one, or do
> you have tastebuds of steel? :P

It really didn't have a kick at all, and I don't like real hot stuff. The
ingredients say red chilis, so not chili free.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Wow. 3Tbs of the Thai red curry paste I use would have me perspiring
> gently and NEEDING the raita... did you get a chilli-free one, or do
> you have tastebuds of steel? :P

Never heard of chile-free Thai red curry paste. Surely you jest!

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ http://anymarine.com/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Nicky > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> Wow. 3Tbs of the Thai red curry paste I use would have me perspiring
>> gently and NEEDING the raita... did you get a chilli-free one, or do
>> you have tastebuds of steel? :P

> Never heard of chile-free Thai red curry paste. Surely you jest!

With commercial ones its hard to know what they really contain re chilis
(type). I have had one where I used the whole jar in one dish and no
"heat" and one others where a teaspoon knocks my socks off.