Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Bitter melon

I know Nick has mentioned this before. I probably only half read his posts.

This was given as an ingredient on "Chopped" the other day. In a round in
which they had only 20 minutes to prepare the dish. Somehow in the back of
my mind, this didn't seem right. They also commented that only one person
prepared it correctly. He removed the seeds from the middle and they said
that the seeds were the bitter part.

So I looked up some recipes on how to make it. All said to scoop the seeds
from the middle and most said to soak it in salt water anywhere from a half
an hour to overnight or more.

So how could they expect these poor chefs to prepare it in a palatable way
in only 20 minutes? I felt the same way when they gave them raw black eyed
peas and then complained that they were cooked through. Gah!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I know Nick has mentioned this before. I probably only half read his
> posts.

You only half read my posts?!?!?! <grumble grumble grumble>

> This was given as an ingredient on "Chopped" the other day. In a round
> in which they had only 20 minutes to prepare the dish. Somehow in the
> back of my mind, this didn't seem right. They also commented that only
> one person prepared it correctly. He removed the seeds from the middle
> and they said that the seeds were the bitter part.

Jun always removes the seeds, so I don't know how bitter they are. The
'pith' or whatever it's called, that the seeds are imbedded in, has the
consistency of packing 'popcorn'. The melon is bitter.

> So I looked up some recipes on how to make it. All said to scoop the
> seeds from the middle and most said to soak it in salt water anywhere
> from a half an hour to overnight or more.

Jun doesn't soak it in salt water. Brining it removes the bitterness, but
that's the part that is beneficial, for BG and 'other stuff'. Jun says that
what's left is 'junk'! (She just got home after four months in Thailand.
She brought back herbs for diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol and
more. I'm just so happy to have her back home.) I mostly get it served in
soups. It's bitter, but I love it! I'm working on a recipe for making
Garlic Dill Pickled Bitter Melon. Jun says she doesn't think it'll be as
beneficial as fresh, but she'll make it for me. I love pickles more than
cukes. ;-)

> So how could they expect these poor chefs to prepare it in a palatable
> way in only 20 minutes? I felt the same way when they gave them raw
> black eyed peas and then complained that they were cooked through. Gah!

Who puts together those combinations of ingredients in the baskets? What a
sadist! For a chance at $10K, I'll cook anything!!! LMAO

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> I know Nick has mentioned this before. I probably only half read his
>> posts.

> You only half read my posts?!?!?! <grumble grumble grumble>
>
>> This was given as an ingredient on "Chopped" the other day. In a round
>> in which they had only 20 minutes to prepare the dish. Somehow in the
>> back of my mind, this didn't seem right. They also commented that only
>> one person prepared it correctly. He removed the seeds from the middle
>> and they said that the seeds were the bitter part.

> Jun always removes the seeds, so I don't know how bitter they are. The
> 'pith' or whatever it's called, that the seeds are imbedded in, has the
> consistency of packing 'popcorn'. The melon is bitter.
>
>> So I looked up some recipes on how to make it. All said to scoop the
>> seeds from the middle and most said to soak it in salt water anywhere
>> from a half an hour to overnight or more.

> Jun doesn't soak it in salt water. Brining it removes the bitterness, but
> that's the part that is beneficial, for BG and 'other stuff'. Jun says
> that
> what's left is 'junk'! (She just got home after four months in Thailand.
> She brought back herbs for diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol and
> more. I'm just so happy to have her back home.) I mostly get it served in
> soups. It's bitter, but I love it! I'm working on a recipe for making
> Garlic Dill Pickled Bitter Melon. Jun says she doesn't think it'll be as
> beneficial as fresh, but she'll make it for me. I love pickles more than
> cukes. ;-)
>
>> So how could they expect these poor chefs to prepare it in a palatable
>> way in only 20 minutes? I felt the same way when they gave them raw
>> black eyed peas and then complained that they were cooked through. Gah!

> Who puts together those combinations of ingredients in the baskets? What a
> sadist! For a chance at $10K, I'll cook anything!!! LMAO

I don't know. I hate when they put the savory item in the dessert basket.

Bitter Melon how to? Steve Pope General Cooking 12 24-04-2009 05:46 AM
Bitter melon Nick Cramer Diabetic 0 17-02-2009 06:13 AM
Raw Bitter Melon ggg Asian Cooking 16 26-11-2004 08:55 PM
bitter melon Blanche Nonken Preserving 8 08-02-2004 04:44 AM
Use for bitter melon Franfogel Asian Cooking 13 23-01-2004 02:49 AM